GDT: Oilers 3, Flames 5 – Game 4 – 2010-10-16 @ 8:00 PM – CBC

logo AT logo
2-1-0 Record 1-2-0
Location: Scotiabank Saddledome
Date: October 16, 2010 @ 8:00 PM MST
TV: CBC

PRE-GAME

These games are the moments we Oilers fans live for. The Battle of Alberta, part 2 (at least the regular season version), plays out tonight in Calgary. Word is, Renney is going to ice a tough as nails line up (meaning both MacIntyre and Strudwick are in, word has it, although Stortini or Jones may be out) in case the Flames are looking for some revenge for the beating they took. We won the war and the battle, although I’d say they got the best of us in a couple of the smaller fights. Look for a spirited battle tonight, unless the Flames roll over early and give up the fight before it starts. But I don’t see that happening at all. I think Ivanans is just recovering still from being KO’d by MacIntyre, but I could even see him looking for another round… I almost feel sorry for the guy and as crazy as it sounds, I hope I don’t see him fight tonight.

Anyways, I predict a closer game this time… 3-2 Oilers.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Robyn Regehr 3 0 0 0 1 2 0 0
Jarome Iginla 3 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0
Alex Tanguay 3 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0
Jay Bouwmeester 3 0 0 0 -1 6 0 0

LIVE GAME CHAT

Closed

57 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 3, Flames 5 – Game 4 – 2010-10-16 @ 8:00 PM – CBC”

GDT thread up…. GO OIL!

2. DropIt says:

Flames had a closed door meeting with Brent and Darryl. If that can’t get them up for this game, then there is little hope for this team moving forward. 3-2 Flames in OT/SO

Yeah, I’d be surprised if Ivanans is cleared to play and if he is, I kinda hope he doesn’t play tonight. You just know he’d end up getting seriously hurt. Nobody wants to see that.

Is anyone else as pleased with Pecks as I am? That hit he had last game is what we’ve been needing on the blueline for a long time. Man I hope he keeps it up.

Who else do the Flamers have for heavyweights? I wonder if they call up a goon for the game?

EDIT: I miss the MyMag theme. :(

4. Ktown says:

chucker: Yeah, I’d be surprised if Ivanans is cleared to play and if he is, I kinda hope he doesn’t play tonight.You just know he’d end up getting seriously hurt.Nobody wants to see that.Having said that, I’d sit Jones and opt for Storts. I’d have every option available and hopefully Peckham plays as well (not sure if that’s possible)
    Is anyone else as pleased with Pecks as I am?That hit he had last game is what we’ve been needing on the blueline for a long time.Man I hope he keeps it up.Who else do the Flamers have for heavyweights?I wonder if they call up a goon for the game?EDIT:I miss the MyMag theme.:(

6. hemmerlady says:

Ktown: Gonna be a good game tonight, I think. Calgary should be looking to prove something, and I think at this point, the Oilers still have a lot to prove as well.I do find it extremely interesting to note a significant decrease in the amount of Flamer arrogance fueled vitriol on many of the sports message boards. That’s certainly a welcome change. A little humility wouldn’t hurt some of those ass-clowns.On an unrelated note, my English 30 prof just keeled over dead after finding me using “vitriol” and “ass-clowns” in the same paragraph…

lol. The use of both is an interesting example of juxtaposition.

I predict 2-1 Oil this time. Boy, Sutter looked grave in interviews yesterday, responding to the “closed-door” tongue-lashing, pep talk, or whatever it was he was giving to the Flamer boys.

What’s with Cogs at centre again? I know it’s early, but hasn’t seemed like that’s worked… and I don’t think it will. (Again, caveat: I like Cogs, and I want him to get the bat off his shoulder, but I don’t think centre is the position for him.)

Yah I agree about Cogliano. I feel for the guy, but yah, it doesn’t seem to be working.

8. dawgtoy says:

Renney is preaching patience with the lines. He doesn’t want to start the blender yet. My wish is that the Oil would dress the biggest lineup possible and send the Flames D-men through the end boards. I’ve watched the Oilers get dominated physically by this team for too long, but that’s just a dream. The only real change the Oil should address would be IMO to switch Cogs and Brule….then play the same way they played opening night. Predict 4-2 Oil with an EN goal. Calgary didn’t actually respond very well after closed door sessions last season if my memory serves.

Hmmm, I’d like to see PRV play with Penner again but I liked that Renney is sticking to his guns on this rather than running the Mac-Blender as Dawgtoy mentioned.

I’m not sure how this season will go but even if they come close to last season and beat the flames every game I don’t think I would complain all that much. =p

10. Hockey Noob says:

Hey Racki, you’ll probably ban me from Foil for this comment. ;)

I’m still trying to stop laughing. Bookie over at Lowetide:

[The article in the Journal this morning is titled "Edmonton Oilers Let Rookies Get Lay of The League"

->Elisha Cuthbert?]

omg, so wrong, but so funny.

Wow…. horrible… but I laughed. haha :P

12. Ktown says:

Aaanndd… it’s official – at 6:54 PDT, Don Cherry brought up the Toronto Maple Leafs in a conversation about Jarome Iginla and the Calgary Flames…

*sigh* These HNIC jokers just can’t help themselves, can they…

13. DropIt says:

We ass clowns are still missing a good chunk of our starting roster. And regardless of what you call us, we still swept you last year :P

14. DropIt says:

And I’m not sure what we are changed from? Our attitude last december? If anything the ass clownery is coming from Oiler fans after 3 games this year…

Which ass clownery is that?

Most Oiler fans are cautiously optimistic with low to moderate expectations, and realize we only really played one good game so far, and won the second one on the shoulders of Khabi. You have to admit though, Jbo is kinda easy to play against. :p

Sorry folks.. not sure what happened to the site.. in chat with tech support atm.

Tell them it’s their fault we lost !!!

18. Ktown says:

Yup – I blame IT for the loss tonight!

sigh, it could be a long year. 1 good game followed by 3 shit games

20. Ktown says:

DropIt: We ass clowns are still missing a good chunk of our starting roster. And regardless of what you call us, we still swept you last year

Hey, dude – I said “some” of those ass-clowns. You volunteered yourself to be counted among them.

But I guess I spoke too soon, you’re right. Apparently there are still quite a few running around spouting off.

OK guys, we’re all friends here.. let’s end the hostility on both sides.

22. dawgtoy says:

Plus I’ll admit that a lot of Oiler fans seemed like they were planning the Stanley Cup parade route after one game, clearly our heads have come back down to earth now that we are back to .500 again. Both Oiler and Flame fans love their team and are proud to boast about victories, let’s just leave it at that boys…ok?

Btw, the web hosts say that diverting all power from the chatbox to the engines has fixed things :P

24. dawgtoy says:

Esks and Lions going to OT.

Dawgtoy: yah as much as I hate to say it, we’ve come down to earth, as you said, from that first game. This team has been pretty damn shakey since that game. I think our defense has big holes in it.

26. dawgtoy says:

Glad it’s fixed, but I like the chat thingy.

27. dawgtoy says:

Habby needs to close the five hole, though he has been solid as heck. Didn’t see much, D was weak tonight?

28. dawgtoy says:

Slow feet on our D men, big and slow.

yah its too bad about the chat thingy, but maybe we can figure out some sort of chat thing that works outside of this site. I’ll hunt around.

D was VERY weak tonight btw.. these guys aren’t very aware that there is a net in our zone too.

Khabi did struggle with controlling low shots though

What kind of scares me though is I would have thought that plugin would be better on the server, as it doesn’t refresh the whole page when you type a message. So I have a worry that I’ll be hearing from them next GDT regardless.. but we’ll see

other sites regularly do this other chat thing…check out puck daddy when they do their chats

see this

Some things I logged this game:
    Oilers had possession for 20.92 min (8.05, 5.6, 7.27) – Note this is complete control, and it doesn’t mean that Calgary had control for 40 min. I didn’t count when the puck was bouncing around in the neutral zone or being fired back and forth between teams. I’d say Calgary had more time of possession but not over 30 min.

There were 109 events that caused a loss of possession, 22 of those were shots (shots where the rebound came back to the Oil were not counted as loss of possession). THat means that 87 were missed/bad passes, dumping it in the zone where the puck was not retrieved, offside/icing or just being stripped of the puck.

Specific player counts – Hall and Paajarvi lead with 11 events each. Gagner, Penner and Hemsky had 10 each, Cogliano and Gilbert had 8 and a bunch of players with 7 or less.

Doing this sucked. I’m not doing it again.

LOL, wow.. is your contract up for renewal or something? Since when do you pull stats out of your butt like that?

Btw, I’ll check out that chat thing you linked.. seen it elsewhere, and it should work, as I think the company you linked would be hosting the chat software crap..

OK, looks good Steve-O.. checked it out quickly. Don’t think it will work from work, but it should be good though anyways. Might require people to create accounts on that site, not sure (at least to have avatars). But it seemed good

Racki: Really?? I wasn’t sure if anyone liked that one or not. I can get it up and running again, as I figured out what was wrong, for the most part. Maybe I’ll put it in down the road sometime. Zack also has a new theme he made that I’m just testing out right now too.

Yeah, I just found it much easier to follow topics and the layout was nice for me.

Too bad we couldn’t keep out of penalty trouble last night. I also think it’s time for Tambellini to start looking for a centreman who can win draws. Cogs isn’t going to be the guy.

All in all though, I’m very pleased with the rookies and their talent level and compete level. You just know Hall is going to bust loose one of these games and Eberle is already playing veteran minutes. I never expected him to be as good as he is already. His defenssive zone awareness and coolness with the puck is simple remarkable.

At least we have till Thursday to prep for Minny! We need those two points!

Yah they also had 3 days off before the last game vs Minny. lol So hopefully they make better use of it this time :P

chucker:
    Too bad we couldn’t keep out of penalty trouble last night.I also think it’s time for Tambellini to start looking for a centreman who can win draws.Cogs isn’t going to be the guy.

I second that. I still think Stoll would be a great re-addition to our team. Watching some of the draws last night was brutal. Although I’ve heard a few stories of Stoll enjoying his night out on the town… so I doubt ST would like to add someone with that kind of character to the young group of guys. That and the fact of adding someone to our roster again probably wouldn’t happen, not with that kind of cap-hit.

I don’t know what kind of day it would be across Oilers Nation if ST made a “quick move” to address one of the faults/loopholes in the system.

Racki: Yah they also had 3 days off before the last game vs Minny. lol So hopefully they make better use of it this time

I’m trying to find some good here Racki, stop breaking my stride! Anyway, I’m hoping wee can get the win, I wanna believe we can be a boarderline playoff team this season, give me reason to believe!

B.O.: This make you feel better?

hahah, sorry pal. G’Oilers!

Racki: B.O.: This make you feel better?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28KobNbbI2shahah, sorry pal. G’Oilers!Zack: I’d be surprised if ST made a move that didn’t require 1 year of full evaluation first..

lol I had a feeling i’d see that song pop up….

That was awesome.

Steve-O: That was awesome.

You a big Matthew Wilder fan?

Steve-O: That was awesome.

Thanks for Dion Branch btw!!!! He had a MONSTER DAY!

45. Mr.Majestyk says:

Haha, funny video. One of the first comments was “He looks like a Mario Brother”

between 8-12 in the West. Khabby must b healthy. RT @AToilfan83: I’m a die-hard Oilers fan, where do you think they will finish this season?

ejhradeck said this was his prediction.

Mr.Majestyk: Haha, funny video.One of the first comments was “He looks like a Mario Brother”

hahahahah seriously.

lol, slightly related note… what game is this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rKWGCcq1Mo&NR=1

edit: i see it’s called “The Movies”… pretty friggen funny how characters run in the game

48. hemmerlady says:

Racki – that clip was both random, and awesome. I love the over-the-top cheesiness of the 80s…complete with Casio-keyboard accompaniment. And the dude does look like one of the Mario Bros.

49. Mr.Majestyk says:

I have to admit, I love 80′s music. Sure plenty of it is really cheesy, but there’s also probably a ton of 80′s music that would be a huge hit today if a popular band today did a cover.

I was raised on 80′s music, so between all of us here, yes I do like 80′s music……..