GDT: Oilers 3, Flames 5 – Game 4 – 2010-10-16 @ 8:00 PM – CBC

logo AT logo
2-1-0 Record 1-2-0
Location: Scotiabank Saddledome
Date: October 16, 2010 @ 8:00 PM MST
TV: CBC

PRE-GAME

These games are the moments we Oilers fans live for. The Battle of Alberta, part 2 (at least the regular season version), plays out tonight in Calgary. Word is, Renney is going to ice a tough as nails line up (meaning both MacIntyre and Strudwick are in, word has it, although Stortini or Jones may be out) in case the Flames are looking for some revenge for the beating they took. We won the war and the battle, although I’d say they got the best of us in a couple of the smaller fights. Look for a spirited battle tonight, unless the Flames roll over early and give up the fight before it starts. But I don’t see that happening at all. I think Ivanans is just recovering still from being KO’d by MacIntyre, but I could even see him looking for another round… I almost feel sorry for the guy and as crazy as it sounds, I hope I don’t see him fight tonight.

Anyways, I predict a closer game this time… 3-2 Oilers.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Robyn Regehr 3 0 0 0 1 2 0 0
Jarome Iginla 3 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0
Alex Tanguay 3 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0
Jay Bouwmeester 3 0 0 0 -1 6 0 0

LIVE GAME CHAT

Closed

57 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 3, Flames 5 – Game 4 – 2010-10-16 @ 8:00 PM – CBC”

1. oilinblood says:

OT : I watched “the secret of my success” the other day. My female friend laughed at the 80s cornyness but i love that movie.

AS for the game, thru 4 games i am really impressed with Hemsky who is showing an all around game with good defensive zone battling and positioning plus he is innitiating hits… just ask Brunette.

Hemsky will be extremely tough to play against if he keeps playing like this… and personally i wouldnt mind if he got his elbows up when he is going to get hit. Id happily take him getting an elbow penalty here or there, or even a suspension, in order for teams to learn they will be getting alot of pad in their mouth if they target him. After the elbow we then have MAcI, STorts, VAndermeer, Peck, etc to take out one of our opponents top players in response.

I am starting to believe in Hemsky.

—- A last thought. The call from the majority of hockey viewers is the oilers need to upgrade centre. I believe TAmbi to be continuing to evaluate Gags and what he brings in the pivot spot. The question is not if we need to upgrade centre, the question is is it just someone to replace a bottom 6 centre (COgs) or if we need a top 6 centre.
    Right now i am thinking TAmbi will probably try to acquire someone who can fit a 3rd line with top six upside. There are more than a few possibilities if teams are willing to deal. Id still like to see Arnott.
    All the elite teams in the NHL can play different styles of games. Chic, Det, Phi can all attack in an open game or get physical and adapt to a closer checking game. Unlike other teams, none of their players dressed are ever made irrelevant by an adjustment to system. The entire rosters can switch systems at a simple one word instruction from the coach.
    We have a coupld of guys who become pretty useless once we have to play a tighter checking game and its neither of the 3 rookies… but id say Cogs and to a lesser extent Fraser have been complete wastes of space. In fact with Eberle and Hemsky and Hall and PEckham and VAndermeer helping the PK… Cogs and Fraser seem less and less worth giving any more attention to, as even their defensive roles are being done much better by 18 year old rookies.

I hate to put it this way, but I thought about how we went from Reasoner to Brodziak (which I can handle) to Pouliot to Fraser. Really, I think the Oil blew it letting Brodziak go. Not an allstar or anything, but the guy can win draws, has size to keep from getting bowled over, and he can put up the odd point. He makes $1.15M in Minny… didn’t really need to pinch pennies there.

I think if I were looking down the lineup, I’d say we need to still worry about the bottom six. I’ll give Fraser a chance though, as it’s still early in his Oil career. He could pan out OK. SO far I’ve seen him make a few good shot blocks on the PK. And I’m not really one to stat-watch, but it’s hard not to notice that every SH goal against him and Jones have been on the ice. We got Fraser to be a PK specialist, so he has to be good at that.

Yeah, I agree Racki. Brodziak was a dumb trade even though it got us Roy. They should have tried to send Pouliot there instead.

Cogs is now clearly not the player we need on this team. He’s a good player, but he’s likely best suited as a depth player on a veteran team on the wing.

I’ve been pulling for him too, but it’s painfully obvious that he’s not going to succeed as a defenssive specialist that wins draws. It’s just not there. On the O’Marra VV note, I completely agree. I thought both had good camps and played better than Fraser, who’d been decent, but let’s face it, he’s not big and he’s not overwhelming on the draw (yet). I like him but he and Horc need help and I think VV or O’Marra are the guys who fit the bill.

I have to think the leash on Cogs is short and he’ll be traded soon if he doesn’t do what management wanted out of him. Perhaps they’ll be patient, but I think the writing is on the wall here. Even for the energy winger role that he would occupy, I’d rather play Reddox and JFJ when he gets back.

Also, they don’t help themselves by keeping three goalies up here. Just send down DD and get it over with. We need that roster spot. Tambellini is hamstringing Renney with that shit. Enough already.

Yah, with Cogs, I actually think he could be good on another team that is in need of a scoring winger. Maybe a team looking to shave a few dollars off the payroll. He’ll be a player that won’t get us a high return though, which is the tough thing. I think we know he’ll be a decent player and has the potential to be a quality second liner, however other teams will exploit the fact that he had a “bad” year last year and isn’t off to a spectacular start this year. I quoted bad because I think he’s just lost his top six spot by default and isn’t suited for a bottom six role.

On Brodziak, I always forget we got the pick for Roy out of that… I think that actually is a pretty good trade, all things considered, even though a 4th (?) doesn’t seem like much. I also believe that Minny wasn’t interested in Pouliot.. were they? But really, I wish we could have hung onto Brodz. Was a big fan of his, and he had some good chemistry with Stortini.

On Fraser, yes, that’s exactly the issue there. He’s not all that big of a player, and really, this team was trying to get bigger… and there WERE big UFA guys out there. I really don’t get that. Not to knock Fraser.. I think he might be OK, and it’s way too soon to write him off (so I’m not doing that).

As for JFJ, damn I’m anxious for him to be back… I think if he slips into injury purgatory for much longer though, they’re going to have to cut ties with him and just go find a replacement player that can bring that level of energy.

5. hemmerlady says:

Racki: I’ll be honest, I’ve been 50/50 on Fraser. I’ve always been a big Cogliano fan, but I’m not sure how long I can watch him struggle at center.
    But, it’s oversimplifying to just point out that stat.. so I think I’ll pay pretty close attention to him and get a better judge. I’ve said it all the long though.. why do the Oil pinch pennies with role players? They’ll throw out an extra few mill for a few more goals, but they can’t pay a couple hundred K for a good role guy.BTW, I do think we have decent guys in the system for this.. VV, and maybe O’Marra… but it wouldn’t kill the team to make hockey watchable by hiring some good role guys while they’re down in the farm.

They really need to take Cogs off Centre before fanzillas start calling for blood. Although he has struggled, I still believe in Cogs – as a winger.

I was also really impressed with VdV and would like to see him play more.

Yah, I like Cogs at wing too, and have always been a fan of his. I just think it’s the old cliche of putting a square peg in a round hole, with Cogs at center. The team is suffering a bit because of it, and I’m sure he is suffering a bit because of it too.

7. oilinblood says:

other than a short 63 game stint in late07-08 to start of 08-09 in which he compiled a 21% shooting percentage and registered an average of close to 30 goals when prorated to 82 games… Cogs has prorated an average of 16 goals a 82 game season since…which just happens to be his totals from last year if memory serves me correct.

I think the track record its written in stone and that Renney and others cant point to Renney being in his first year since he is not ignorant from Brule’s pivot ability of last season.

So the obvious answer since lines were announced is that the Oilers are either giving in to Lowe trying to put Cogs in any possible position to get him going and prove he wont be a KHLer in 2 years, or he is being shopped as a centre with fingers crossed that he gets a hot streak.

I WAS a cogs fan at one time (shakes head) but he’s kind of a dummy. He tries to play physical but cant win a battle, and even if he innitiates contact he 90% loses the battle, takes the worst of it, and is then out of position and making us look like easy laughable prey. The goal of the organization should be to have players like the rookies. The rookies, including Hall, are being harped on. I see no reason at all to harp on any of them. They are all fighting for posession, winning battles, giving second and 3rd efforts, hard to knock off pucks, initiating contact, all have contributed time to pk, all have speed and hands, all are learning.

The market does not hold much value for a centre who cant win a draw, a forward who normally kills the play, cant win a battle, is out of position after being shrugged off, cant make his linemates better -and likely holds them back-, and is likely the worst player on a team which plays 3 rookie forwards… one of which being barely 18.

Nough said on that.

Our only trade asset right now is our cap space and lack of budget constraints to spend to it. Fortunately time has proven this to be the most valuable asset in player aquisition and also an asset that increases its value as the year progresses.

POSITIVES

Hemsky, as i said earlier, looks amazing. I cant knock the guy anymore. He is showing me everything i wanted to see from him. I dont give a crap about the stats; his play will dictate the stats HE DESERVES. Right now he is playing a beautiful full game and i am … astonished.

If Hemsky and Penner can keep playing the full games that they are… i have no problems with Tambi throwing both of them 4-5 year extensions next season. Alot of people would have their jaws hit the floor on the Hemsky comments coming from me (not the Penner since ive always liked him) but alas i admit i am seeing a new hemsky this season and if its a longterm change and not an a short term aberration than he is going to be a key component in this teams future beyond his current contract.

Just want to say as well that Reddox is quickly becoming a coach and fan fave in OKC. The OKC message boards are going crazy with love for him. I have to tip my hat to the OKC fans as, from their posts, they are proving to be quite intelligent on the sport and arent jumping on the band wagon of snipers like Giroux. Giroux got first star against the aeros and has put up the points but the fans are speaking that they clearly are not ignorant to the fact he is a opportunistic floater who doesnt have much more to offer. Reddox is definently getting lots of respect for his effort, tenacity, desire, and …playmaking.