GDT: Oilers at Wild – Game 3 – 2010-10-14 @ 6:30 PM – SNET

logo AT logo
2-0-0 Record 0-1-1
Location: Xcel Energy Center
Date: October 14, 2010 @ 6:30 PM MST
TV: Sportsnet

PRE-GAME

Well, I’m sure everyone’s heard it by now, but the Oilers haven’t won a game in Minnesota since Taylor Hall was in diapers (13 straight losses on Minnesota home ice, to be exact). But this team has changed immensely since then.

The Oilers last game, the Oil came out pretty flat, and stayed quite flat, with the exception of “MVP” Nikolai Khabibulin. I use the term MVP with a bit of jest towards Steve Tambellini (who insists he was the team’s MVP before being hurt last year). But quite frankly, he was very solid and kept the Oilers in the game and stole that win. That’s something we really need around here, and I think the Oilers success this year does depend a lot on what kind of goaltending we get out Khabibulin (and how many games we see him for).

So, the Oilers skaters fell flat… big problem, right? Well, Tom Renney assures us that it isn’t much of an issue, and attributes the lackluster play to the team being trained to hard the previous day, in Florida. “I think we may have done some damage with how we trained in preparing for Florida, and there was a lactate build-up and we couldn’t flush it out in time to play the way we really wanted to. I think we had heavy legs, because we might have done a little bit too much work in the fitness, skating, metabolic department.” Jason Gregor also had this interview quote from Renney: “We trained too hard off ice and on ice the day before Florida game. It caused us to have heavy legs. I’ll take responsibility”. That’s good enough for me, and I’m sure it won’t be a problem, but we’ll have to wait and see. At least they’ve identified the issue, and Renney was quick to take ownership. I’m impressed with that.

Anyways, I think the Oilers will continue their great start and finally end the drought in Minnesota. So I’ll predict a 3-1 win for the Oilers.

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-up

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
Paajarvi-Cogliano-Brule
Jones-Fraser-Stortini

Whitney-Gilbert
Smid-Foster
Vandermeer-Peckham

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

Minnesota Wild Projected Line-up (lines from GDT by oilersnyc@HFBoards)

Brunette-Koivu-Miettinen
Clutterbuck-Cullen-Havlat
Nystrom-Madden-Kobasew
Staubitz-Brodziak-Latendresse

Zanon-Zidlicky
Schultz-Burns
Falk-Barker

Backstrom
Theodore

NOTES

– Jean-Francois Jacques was skating in practice yesterday, on the blueline, Oilers reporter Tom Gazzola noted on Twitter. He also mentioned not to think anything of it (i.e., don’t expect Jacques to be playing the blue line… ever).
– In a recent interview, Horcoff noted that Hall is taking too long of shifts. He’s not alone in that thought. I don’t think Horcoff meant it as a slag towards Hall though. I think he was just asked what Hall needs to work on, and noted the shifts were too long. Renney seems to be in agreement with this, and I don’t foresee it being an issue for too long.
– Is it time to give Jason Strudwick a shot? Perhaps on line 4 wing? Is the lack of playing time for Strudwick a sign that the attachment to him isn’t quite as big as we thought it was?
– If you thought this 3 day break was agonizing, wait until after Saturday’s game against the Flames. The next game is 5 days later (next Thursday), vs. the Wild again. I think I’m already feeling the withdrawls..

TEAM COMPARISON

100.0 PK% 80.0
23.0 S/G 35.5
32.5 SA/G 34.0
43.5 FO% 63.8

LIVE GAME CHAT

Closed

42 Responses to “GDT: Oilers at Wild – Game 3 – 2010-10-14 @ 6:30 PM – SNET”

1. MetalOil says:

Yeah, you can sure see the difference in the sked this season with having no Olympic break. I’m gonna go with a 4-1 win for the Oil today. Everytime the Oil play the Wild I can’t help but think about how much I would love to have Cal Clutterbuck on our team.

3. Puritania says:

I agree with the Clutterbuck sentiment, he is a player I hate on opposing teams but one I would love the shit out of on our own.

-After my terrible 7-1 prediction of the Florida game I think I will be a little more conservative with this selection. 12-0 Oil! heh just kidding, Brain: 3-2 Minny, Heart: 4-2 Oil.

Racki: Yah, I’ll second the love for Clutterbuck. He’s definitely the type of player we could use.

Thirded.

5. MetalOil says:

Next segment of the “Oil Change” series will air next Wednesday @ 5:30 pm (Edm time) on TSN !!! Maybe this will help with the withdraws Racki :)

Hopefully the new episode of Oil Change will be on NHL Network. I’ll be mad if I don’t get to see it haga. NHL Network cmae through for me before the draft, so we will see.

LOL, not likely..

OK I take that back, I missed that it is a NEW episode.

9. MetalOil says:

Yeah I was under the impression that “Oil Change was a one time thing. I wonder if this episode has more to do with the roster overhaul then the draft preps.

10. Ktown says:

Time to sacrifice a live chicken next time they play in Minny

Ok, tonight wasn’t all bad. We have to lose at some point, so whatever. What we can take from tonight is the following: 5 on 5 we actually played them pretty well and odds are would have won the game if we didn’t take so many penalty calls. So thats good. As for the Powerplay, well they couldn’t set up and when they did they would just get robbed. Gotta have a better night there.

Heres where the rant really begins, PK. The PK was TERRIBLE tonight. All the wild goals were scored on the PP. We let them set up all night long, and honestly maybe 1 of those goals was Khabi’s fault. On one Vandermeer looked like a cone, on another smid kicked it in his own net, and there was another goal that Gilbert kicked in. Bad breaks and bad PK play cost the Oilers the game. Hopefully they look at it and fix that up, cause it looks like it could be a weakness.

Now I know its only one loss, and we were NOT going 82-0 lmao, so I’ll be interested to see how they respond Saturday night against the Flamers. Backstrom was really good again tonight, and is another big reason the Wild got the two points toinght. Hopefully they learn, and come Saturday night things will be improved. I’m interested to see how they bounce back!

Ktown: Time to sacrifice a live chicken next time they play in Minny

By choking it?

13. hemmerlady says:

well, the bubble had to burst at some point. I feel okay with blaming the Minny curse. (And the PK).

14. John says:

Wow, I thought that place was the “Energy Center”, the Oil (as usual in Minny) looked like they had cement shoes on! Oh well, get to work on the PK & get ready for the Lames boys!!!

I’d rather lose last night and hopefully get the win tomorrow night. Can’t drop 2 in a row, gotta keep the ball rolling. Like I said above the reason they lost last night was the horrible PK. Hopefully thats worked on, and they come out ready togo against the Flames.

16. Mr.Majestyk says:

Its a good sign when a team can bounce back after a loss. When you lose a few games in a row players start losing confidence and thats one thing we can’t afford to lose. After a while you get ‘losers mentality’ and it just becomes easier to give up when you’re down in a game. I actually didn’t see the entire game, just the 3rd period but by the sounds of it we had a decent start to the game. So far we’ve been decent, but with plenty of work to be done. Hopefully this season we’re able to stay competitive all season and have all our youngsters learning as they go. We should be a better team by seasons end.

The team will be better by the end of the year. Absolutely.

But I think the first win has made us all forget that this team will be terrible this year. Tambellini’s refusal to acquire much needed players and to insist on building from within meant that this year was flushed down the drain before it started.

And now, after a lucky win against a bottom feeder in the east, and a loss against a team that was picked to be terrible this year, we are starting to see what the team will really be like this year. Unless they can get the adrenaline going for every game all year like they had for the first one.

18. MetalOil says:

Steve-O: The team will be better by the end of the year.Absolutely.But I think the first win has made us all forget that this team will be terrible this year.Tambellini’s refusal to acquire much needed players and to insist on building from within meant that this year was flushed down the drain before it started.And now, after a lucky win against a bottom feeder in the east, and a loss against a team that was picked to be terrible this year, we are starting to see what the team will really be like this year.Unless they can get the adrenaline going for every game all year like they had for the first one.I realize that sounds pessimistic, and I’ll be the first one to cheer and celebrate if they make the playoffs, I’m just thinking to not get any hopes up on it happening.

I have been taking that same approach all summer & not get my hopes up but have the Avs & Yotes of last season as well as the Leafs of this season (so far) not taught us that at this point of the year their is no such thing as a bottom feeder. I am not just picking on you Steve-O, I have heard that “bottom feeder” line so many times and from so many people already and I shake my head every single time.

Also, from the 3 Panther games I have seen so far this season I would hardly call them a bottom feeder right now. They look like a much improved, hard working team that just ain’t getting the bounces yet.

19. mrgod2u says:

Definately need more special teams work, both ways. We had ample PP opportunities to put that game beyond reach as well.

I also think we need to shake up the lines a bit. Nothing major, just Horcoff and Gagner trading places. Horc and Hemmer know each other and the chemistry between Penner and Hemsky was good. Gag’s just looks lost out there with them.

Ditto for “Ol’ Stone hands” unless Horc is bouncing them in off his various body parts he is not bringing much to the speed and offensive flair that Eberle and Hall have. He has miffed one-timers, blown passes, and killed the rush dead quite a few times. I realize we are trying to mentor these guys, but I would say they are fine already and leave the feedback to the coach. Not a huge knock on Horc. I just think let the players play to their strengths.

I am also a bit concerned about Magnus, he really doesn’t seem to be engaging with the third line. he is out of position alot and floats, which usually indicates a lack of understanding of a player’s role in an offensive pairing. I’m not saying stick him with Stortini, but something needs to change in his game for him to be effective.

I don’t see it that way.

I think they should break up the Penner/Gagner/Hemsky line, but only because I think that those three can handle it on any line. They have been one of the better lines and I don’t see Gagner being out of place at all. (Plus Hemsky is the best player, even more so now that he’s on the PK(and doing well))

As for the Eberle/Horcoff/Hall line, the only reason I think they are looking as good as they are is because of Horcoff. Hall is looking lost out there to be honest. Passes to linemates skates, trailing the play and not coming back. I haven’t noticed the long shift lengths, but I’ll take Renney and Horcoff at their word for that as that is something that a lot of junior stars have to deal with. But (and I won’t take credit for this, but I can’t remember where I read it) Hall is finding out real quick that while he was bigger and faster in junior, once he hit the NHL that is no longer the case. He’ll get there but he needs time.

The forth line has played well. I think Fraser is doing a fine job considering he’s lugging Jones and Stortini/MacIntyre around each shift. Stortini hasn’t wowed me, and Jones is doing well hitting lots but seems to be getting out of position to do so.

The line that is concerning me right now is Brule/Cogliano/Pääjärvi. Brule and Cogliano are showing 0 defensive ability, and surprisingly Paajarvi is always the first one back. Paajarvi also seems to end up having to take the extra man in front of the net (also seems to be getting caught with a few holding/hooking penalties…wonder if the SEL is more forgiving in that aspect). When the puck gets cleared the offensive rush dies by the time he catches up to the play (usually Cogliano, but that may just be me hating on him).

What that third line needs is a faceoff guy, and someone who can handle his own zone. You don’t want to take Horcoff away from the two kids, so it would have to be one of Penner or Gagner. Either one I’m sure would help substantially, however in my opinion whichever line you moved Cogliano to would dry up offensively.

My 2¢. At least thats the way I’m seeing the games. And I haven’t even talked about the D yet.

I actually am going to have to agree with Steve-O here, at least on Horcoff. He’s been great out there. Him and Eberle have looked very good together, and as much as I’m a fan of that entire line, there is one guy who is always back in the defensive zone first. You remove Horcoff, that line leaks goals against.

Fraser is tough to say. Yesterday he was on the ice for all 4 goals against. But I did see him make a couple of great shot blocks, so it’s hard to say.

I think this Cogliano at center stuff is killing the 3rd line. Agreed again with Steve-O that they need a face off guy.

If I were re-arranging things to spread the wealth, I’d go:

Hall/Paajarvi – Gagner – Hemsky
    Cogliano – Horcoff – Eberle
    Paajarvi/Hall – Brule – Penner
    4th line untouched

Personally i hate splitting up Hall/Horcoff/Eberle, as I think they are a good line. And really, I think I have to see Cogs at wing for a while before I’m writing him off.

Paajarvi/Gagner/Hemsky
    Eberle/Horcoff/Hall
    Penner/Brule/Cogliano

That actually would be good too, I think.. and I believe that was how they were doing it in some of the pre-season too, and there was some chemistry across the board

24. mrgod2u says:

Well Penner has been pretty good and him and Hemsky had great chemistry last night, especially on the one-timer goal.

Lets see, and Penner has two goals that he actually scored with a stick… So I can see why you guys feel that he should drop to the 3rd line. Especially so that the young floating Swede can get 1st line minutes.

Seriously, is one of you MacT? What is with the horc-crushes and the Penner-hate? ;)

I don’t see Penner moving to that line as a demotion. We don’t have a checking line per se, only 3 scoring lines and 1 agitator line. And as mentioned, I said that Penner will do well wherever he is put (I think).

Thing for me is the third line needs a kick in the ass. And while you think the swede is a floater, I think cogliano is an offensive black hole.

Plus Penner/Brule work well together.

And I liked Mac T

mrgod2u: oh god… did either of us say that we don’t like Penner? I don’t recall saying it… I’m a big fan of Penner. Penner dropping to “line 3″ (if you want to call it that) was to help balance that line.. to improve that line.. again, to spread the wealth. It’s not a punishment. Him moving there is making that line better. It’s not a suggestion because we want to make the 3rd line horrible because Penner is no good.

Again… that 3rd line is horrible right now.. swapping some players around will provide balance. I don’t think of our lines of being a top line, 2nd line, 3rd line.. I see it more of one or two lines should be clicking on a given night while the other likely takes the night off (just because it will happen).

Nowhere have I or Steve-O mentioned any hate towards Penner.. anything but.

I don’t often agree with Steve-O, but neither of us are saying we want to stack the good players on one line and the shit players on another line. Far from it. It’s about balance.

27. Mr.Majestyk says:

last season we just spread out the shit players on every line ;)

28. mrgod2u says:

sorry I meant that more tongue-in-cheek than it came across.

I do agree about the 3rd line. They have just not worked. The reason I don’t want Penner moved is that I remember how Penner without Hemmer stopped scoring as many goals last season. While I do agree that we have 3 scoring lines, I would take being dumped to line 3 as a demotion if it were me. Especially if I was replaced by a rookie. I get spreading the love, but taking me away from Hemsky (if I’m Penner) is like taking dollars out of my pocket next contract negotiation.

Much as I hate to say it, Cogs might be better turned into trade bait for a decent center, he is really not working in our current system. Plus he seems to be doing that “soft-rush into the zone then turn outside and fade into the boards” thing that he did last year. With his speed he needs to challenge the D hard to the net, not curl off and kill the play.

I actually really like Paajarvi, just not his presence in the real games so far. First line time might help but that should also be given to people who are producing. Regardless, I think having Cogs beside him is doing nothing for his game, Brule’s either. While I do think getting top line time would help develop our players we could also field a winning team this season…

Regardless lets all look forward to round 2 of the BoA, I think we are going to kick the snot out of the flamers this time. They just look like whipped dogs out there so far this season, I could almost feel pity for them… If they weren’t the Flames.

30. hemmerlady says:

Steve-O: Why not move Penner to left on the third line, move Brule to center that one, and paajarvi up to first line.Paajarvi/Gagner/Hemsky
    Eberle/Horcoff/Hall
    Penner/Brule/Cogliano

I like this. This is a good idea.

31. hemmerlady says:

Racki: Hey mrgod2u… sorry about the defensive post. ill blame a tough day at work for not picking up on the jest in it. I can agree with parts of what you say. 27s change to line 3 can be spun as bringing a leader to that line though I think. I think he’s proven to be strong all over. the guy did get 30+ and while he may have slowed down, let’s not forget only 22 ish games were with hemsky. I’ve always seen a bit more in 27 than the average fan. even before last year.

Aww, tough day? Have a better one. Only one more day until oiler hockey. :D

mrGod: I hate to say it but I’m starting to wonder the same thing about Cogs. I really like Cogs and I hope that he gets his spark back, but I honestly don’t know what the missing ingredient is. During his first year he was a rock star, and he’s been declining since. In fairness, so did the entire team (save Hemmer and Penner).

hemmerlady: During his first year he was a rock star, and he’s been declining since.

In his first year he was super protected by Mac T. Along with Gagner and Nilsson.

Basically they got the cherry minutes. Hence the good totals. Every year since they have had to go against tougher opposition and as such they totals have dropped. Which is normal. However it should start creeping up if they are good hockey players, like what we are seeing with Gagner.

Thanks HL! ;)

And to be fair to Cogs, when he was declining last year, a lot of his time was spent playing with linemates not really known for their offensive prowess.

34. dawgtoy says:

Horc deserves to be the number one center on the number one line with Hemmer and Pens. I believe that getting the first line rolling will take some heat off the second and third lines. Gags may have some real chemistry with Ebs and Hall, given they are all from a similar age bracket and likely think the game in similar ways. A new twist on the kids line theme. Then obviously Brule moving to center on line three, allowing Cogs to hopefully find his game on the wing.
    I’d also like Whitney and Gilley to be re-united.
    My patience with the kids is still solid and love watching this season vs last. The season is still early and subtle changes are gonna occur, I believe the ship is on course and have very little in terms of criticism thus far to direct toward the coaching staff.
    As always…go Oil…and CRUSH those Flamers tomorrow!

I cant wait till tomorrow nights game, really looking forward to seeing how they respond. I got scholl on a saturday (WTF?) so who knows if ill make it through the whole game

Did Racki forget to take his Midol?

lol :p

37. Ktown says:

…or did try to take back the rv? *sigh*

38. hemmerlady says:

gr8one: Did Racki forget to take his Midol?lol :p

? It’s been a long week, so perhaps I am being obtuse. But….I don’t get it

well, it’s less funny when it needs to be explained, or maybe to anyone other than me it’s not funny at all, but really…as long as I’m amused, that’s really what matters. :D

Anyways, since Midol is a product used to reduce PMS symptoms, and PMS being an issues that often causes feelings of irritability and general crankiness, I figured it was a plausable question to ask him. ;)

gr8one: well, it’s less funny when it needs to be explained, but since Midol is a product used to reduce PMS symptoms, and PMS being an issues that often causes feelings of irritability and general crankiness, I figured it was a plausable question to ask him. ;)

gr8one… I feel like sometimes you just don’t understand me!

:P

41. hemmerlady says:

gr8one: well, it’s less funny when it needs to be explained, or maybe to anyone other than me it’s not funny at all, but really…as long as I’m amused, that’s really what matters. Anyways, since Midol is a product used to reduce PMS symptoms, and PMS being an issues that often causes feelings of irritability and general crankiness, I figured it was a plausable question to ask him.

Oh…you played a little joke. Racki pointed out his perceived defensiveness (I didn’t really think it was, but then again, I do lean toward the estrogen side) and you proceeded to tease him. Could have said “Don’t be such a drama queen.” j/k :)

Ktown: Hey BO – hopefully you won’t have to worry about the little brother stealing the TV again… How’d that work out for you? LOL…or did try to take back the rv? *sigh*

I took it back, and saw the rest of the game. It WILL be win tonight. not sure Philly plays tonight so im clear lol