GDT: Oilers vs. Panthers – Game 2 – 2010-10-10 @ 6:00 PM – SNET1

logo AT logo
0-0-0 Record 1-0-0
Location: Rexall Place
Date: October 10, 2010 @ 6:00 PM MST
TV: Sportsnet One

PRE-GAME

Well, I will again be away, but this time I’ll be out for the thanksgiving weekend. I might be online, but I don’t think I will be… I will, however, definitely be watching the game. So I’ll get this GDT all set up, as well as the chat box. I’d suggest not using the chat box until some time on game day (since the chat box is refreshed after every game… good to have some comments for posterity’s sake. Anyways, enjoy the game and go Oilers!!!

Prediction: 5-1 Oilers. Either Hall or Paajarvi light it up on the scoresheet, this time.

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-up

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
Paajarvi-Cogliano-Brule
Jones-Fraser-Stortini

Whitney-Gilbert
Smid-Foster
Vandermeer-Peckham

Khabibulin
Deslauriers

Florida Panthers Projected Line-up

Not available yet.

LIVE GAME CHAT

Closed

32 Responses to “GDT: Oilers vs. Panthers – Game 2 – 2010-10-10 @ 6:00 PM – SNET1”

1. MetalOil says:

I predict a 3-2 overtime win for the Oil with Hall’s first ever NHL goal being the OT winner. This game will ease the tension in the room & help the team overcome that bad feelings running rampant on the roster that was caused by Jordan Eberle’s upstaging of everyone on what was to be Taylor Hall’s night. :)

Juston Bieberle is the best player we’ve had here since Joffrey Lupul!

3. Puritania says:

Racki: Juston Bieberle is the best player we’ve had here since Joffrey Lupul!

lol awesome Racki.

After last game if the Oil don’t absolutely wreck the Panthers it might be a little bit of a let down. :P

7-1 Oil (Yeah shuddup, I don’t care if that is an unrealistic prediction.) Go Oil!

haha awesome prediction. I hope that comes true. Really, there are enough people swaying optimism that we can have the odd post that doesn’t start off “now I know it’s just game one and all…”. :P Robin Brownlee had a good post on ON in which he noted that everyone seems to be trying to snuff any optimistic comment. “Oh no!!!! People might actually expect that the Oilers won’t suck this year!!!”

Predicting a big win isn’t the same as predicting 80 goals for Eberle and the cup for the Oilers this year. You think 7-1.. go for it ;) Hope you’re right!! I think it could be a higher scoring game… we love our East opponents.

And then he pots the OT winner. lol

6. MetalOil says:

gr8one: Sharks/Blue Jackets…Moreau with two dumb penalties that he of course thinks he did nothing wrong.

Then goes on to score the OT winner. On the bright side it was Danny Heatly’s brutal giveaway that led to Ethan’s goal.

7. Mr.Majestyk says:

Haha, I was about to post that Moreau scored in OT. He had an assist on Umberger’s goal yesterday too. He’s closing on last seasons point totals!

I think Moreau will use the new team as a kick-in-the-ass to get himself going again. This guy once was a very good player for the Oilers. Not a top six kind of very good, but a guy that busted his ass night in, night out. That was several years ago though, and perhaps the new team / attitude will bring that Moreau back again.

9. Ktown says:

I’d like to agree with you, Racki – Ethan once was a pretty reliable guy for the Oil. But in the last couple of years, I think he’s showing a lot of miles and was becoming reliable for taking bad penalties.

I really think even the defensive side of his game took a beating, and that used to be one of his strongest areas. However, I’m willing to submit that it could have been more indicative of the team in general, rather than his play.

I just have a hard time seeing a rebound for him when this was the guy that was usually the most in shape guy on the team, but never had a lot to show for it on the ice. I really just get the feeling his effective days are over.

That said, I’m not going to complain if I’m wrong. He once was pretty reliable and if he becomes that guy for Columbus, then it’s a great pick up for them. But, I’m more on the side of thinking that Moreau just scored his first of maybe 10-12 goals this season…

10. Ktown says:

Of course, I’m sure my own credibility on this site is shot, seeing as I can’t figure out how to post properly between the comments and the chat… *sigh*

11. Haboiler says:

I won’t be around tomorrow nite as I will be going to the game. Got a great deal on kijiji so we’re heading down to RX1. Hope there is somewhere near the intensity they had on opening nite. That Eberle spoof was awesome and I think the boys are having some fun.

Predicition 4-3 in a shootout as it always goes to OT when the wife comes with me.

Ktown: Of course, I’m sure my own credibility on this site is shot, seeing as I can’t figure out how to post properly between the comments and the chat…*sigh*Please feel free to take my opinions as the demented ramblings of a man long past holding all his marbles…

lol, I did the same thing earlier, but I think Racki cleared it out for me.

13. Ktown says:

gr8one:
    lol, I did the same thing earlier, but I think Racki cleared it out for me.

Ah… great minds think alike…

or

Fools never differ?

I’ll go with the former, not the latter… LOL

I’m just hopping for a win. I don’t care how, just get it done boys! I will say this tho, Paajarvi will get his first NHL goal in this game, I can just feel it.

I’ll be at mom and dad’s tonight. Enjoy the game everyone!!

This game was pretty ugly tonight, but hey a win is a win. Khabiulin played really well tonight, and the Oilers made good on their chances. I’ll take a the two points, and hope for a better game Thursday night against the Wild.

17. NorwegianOiler says:

Florida sure played a marvellous defensive game, forechecking as a team all the way – and it sure made us look bad at times. Most telling stat of the night, apart from the shot chart, was probably face offs…*dread*

18. Haboiler says:

A few thoughts after seeing this one live last nite. We were seated in the corner behind the Oilers net. The defence couldn’t handle the forecheck from the Panthers and the first pass out of the zone was brutal. What happened to the great ice we were know for? The puck was very jumpy all nite.

Eberle is going to be a player folks and I think a future star in the league. He may not score the most points but he reminded me last nite of a young Jonathon Toews. Always strong on the puck, looking for that first pass, and being on a 5 on 3 (in his second game), this kid is for real.

Hall wants the puck. All the time. The kid can fly and will breakout one of these days. He backchecked a couple times and there were a few battles he won in the defensive zone.

PRV, well he didn’t play too much and really had no flow playing with Cogs and Brule. This 3rd line needs to be shaken up imo. Late in the 3rd I noticed they flipped Penner and PRV. They don’t seem to be able to get moving out there.

Horcoff. Well he is reborn. His legs are moving, his body is scoring. He is mentoring the kids. Horc is skating and pushing like he is 20 again. Welcome back and keep it up or the haters will return!

Peckham, Vandermeer and Smid all had flashes of good dzone coverage but man oh man there were some scary moments in their own zone too. But if Vandermeer puts up a point per game like he is, we’ll take it lol.

Khabby was simply brilliant. HE is back. Lets hope he can keep it up and keeps hydrated, sober and rest the back. Can he be this years Craig Anderson?

I think we need to expect a lot of ups and downs this year. Good news is we are 2-0, won a game that we would have lost last year, are getting some puck luck (tip ins, skates, etc.)and have soem youthful enthusiasm. As I said in the chat the other nite, we might lose this year but it should be a fun year to watch the team and the kids grow. Ah the beauty of a rebuild.

I’m thinking we need new lines…..

Paajarvi-Gagner-Hemsky
    Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
    Penner-Brule-Cogliano

I really wish we dumped Cogliano somewhere and grabbed a vet like Nolan before camp. Cogliano needs to wake up, cause hes killing plays this year. Might only be two games, but hes been bad.

20. Mr.Majestyk says:

I think it might be a bit early to start juggling lines. Yes they are coming off a poor performance but I think the more time they spend working together on the way they want to play it would serve them better than trying to find instant chemistry with other linemates at the first sign of weakness.

21. NorwegianOiler says:

I agree with Mr M. here, time’s ample for us and there’s no reason to shuffle this early – let the players work together for longer periods of time before switching it up. Although I think Renney was right to mix and match a bit during the game last night, because we were struggling to do anything at all. Back to practice, however, and we should keep working as we did.

23. oilinblood says:

To me the game vs florida was much like the second period against the flames. One key difference though is that the flames in my mind were playing a desperate non-skill game of sump and chase and shoot. The flames never really used hockey skills to attack or create offence and so even when the flames had us hemmed in, it seemed like they didnt have much going for them except luck… if they managed to get a bounce. However against the Panthers we gave them complete looks and breaks.
    As far as the similarities go, its a process i believe. The similarity is that mainly the oilers will be operating on a transition game involving sprinting wingers in the neutral zone. THis puts heavy emphasis on forwards gathering speed often within their own zone, the defense making the read with the puck and the forward reception in the neutral ice. This is a high risk high reward system and we saw it last night. PAsses were off and one missed pass meant we were back to defending. SInce our passing seemed to be off all night we basically handed the Panthers possession routinely.
    To me, im not worried. I have a belief that Renney is going to teach a few systems during the year and its too much to hit a team with all at once. If you are going to win the cup you really need to get 3 to 5 systems games in place that everyone knows and can play as soon as the coach says. IT will take a year for that kind of learning. Right now i think we are focussed on a more torpedo offensive system and that is going to accentuate our passing with a high emphasis on puck possession and speed. I predict in Dec-Jan we will start seeing a defensive system find its way into the oilers game more completely but for right now the creativity on the offensive end will be able to take high risks and those passes will begin to become crisper.
    LOoking at us botch up our own zone coverage is proof of what the lesson is. We are, in most cases, supporting the puck defense well but the passes are crap so nothing gets going and forwards are then reversing trying for a do-over and then people crap passes again and all goes to …well crap. once people start making nhl passes… and recieving passes like nhlers…then we will see better results. I believe that positionally the players are showing good signs of being in the right places to support the puck, battles, and give options in good position. Thats half the battle. Now we just need NHL passing.
    just my opinion.

It was a frustrating game to watch because positionally we were pretty good but when we got pucks…we f*ed up possession by doing passes worse than 8 year olds. They couldnt even make 10 foot passes cleanly. it was pathetic.

24. Haboiler says:

The only reason I thought maybe a line change for that 3rd line might be in order was that PRV doesn’t seem to be gelling with Cogs. Wasn’t trying to be one of those Oiler fans, rather giving some feedback on what I saw. I think things are going in the right direction. I just wonder if they are going to run these 3 lines going forward if they will accomplish what they hope to. I hope so but Time will tell and no one knows for sure.

Hey HabOiler.. sorry, didn’t mean to make it sound like I was saying you were one of those fans.. I know you’re not.

But I do think we should just give them a little more time together. Cogs and Paajarvi did work out well together before in that Lightning game, so we’ll see. The way I figure it, we’d be really like if all 3 of our scoring lines were clicking on a given night.. but I don’t see that as a likely thing. So if they have a couple of off-nights, that’s OK. But hopefully they have enough on-nights to make up for it.

With the speed of Cogs/PRV on the same line, they really have the ability to wreak some havoc on the rush together, and if some chemistry does form between them I think they could be scary together, adding Brule to that line also adds a nice dimension of a little bit of grit and physicality(even though he’s not the biggest guy), without giving up anything in the skill department, makes me think we should have patience with that line and let it try and get some mojo going.

I’d give them another 3-4 games together at least before I thought about any serious juggling.

Racki: Agreed with the two above (Mr. M and N.O.). Not to pick on anyone, but this is what we do in Oilerland – get overly excited over wins, and overreact the losses. I don’t think anyone here was at the point of overreacting, but I think it’s definitely too early for line juggling and the team has to allow for some chemistry to build. Really we’ve got two lines that I think we can say already have shown early flashes of chemistry (Penner Gagner Hemsky and Hall Horcoff Eberle – actually even Jones with Fraser and Stortini or Mac have looked good too). Really, Paajarvi hasn’t looked like that spectacular flashy player we saw against Tampa (if not mistaken), but there is plenty of time for that. Things will likely work out if we give it time.

I agree we have seen good play from the Penner-Gagner-Hemsky line, and the Hall-Horcoff-Eberle line. And I also agree that our fourth line has looked good (I really like what Jones has brought to the table so far). I think we knew it would take Paajarvi a few games, maybe even a month before he got set in and adjusted to NHL regular season play. Paajarvi will be just fine, and we will have to give him time, I think by November we will see the real Paajarvi. As for Cogliano, I’m not impressed with him. He has great speed, but the play seems to die when on his stick. Plus he is really bad at faceoffs. I just switched up MP and Penner to see if we could get MP going a little bit, but like I said, I think he will get going soon, hes just learning.

I do think tha tBrule should play center and cogs the wing.

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
    Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
    Paajarvi-Brule-Cogliano
    Jones-Fraser-Stortini

Brule is better with faceoffs and such and I think needs to be playing center. Thats the only change that NEEDS to get done, doesn’t anyone agree?

It might even be just as simple as moving Cogs to the wing (finally). I personally don’t like him at center either, and I’m not sure why they keep trying to make him fit there when they’ve got a good centerman in Brule already on that line.

Yeah, I totally agree with making Brule the center of that line.

30. hemmerlady says:

@Racki & Grtone: I agree about Cogs. I thought he even said he doesn’t want to play centre, or doesn’t want to work at playing centre. (Sorry can’t remember when, might have been another poster wrote it).

Missed the game, again, this has got to stop. I’m seeing the same thing everywhere though – “ugly win.” I am *cautiously* optimistic. We couldn’t even find ugly wins last year with two hands and a flashlight.

gr8one: Yeah, I totally agree with making Brule the center of that line.I think it’s actually verging on ludicrous to keep giving Cogs chances at center, it’s like putting a round peg in a square hole, it just doesn’t fit. He’s terrible on the dot, on a team that is terrible on the dot, and one of our best FO guys in Brule is being wasted by not playing C.

I think you mean a square peg in a round hole :P Or you’re just being a comedian… :P

ykwim!