GDT: Oilers vs. Flames – Game 1 – SEASON OPENER! – 2010-10-07 @ 8:00 PM – CBC

logo
0-0-0 Record 0-0-0
Location: Rexall Place
Date: October 7, 2010 @ 8:00 PM MST
TV: CBC

PRE-GAME

Home opener. Battle of Alberta. Going to the game, sitting in row 1 again. What more needs to be said? Can’t… fucking… wait. Hopefully we are on the winning side of this one, this time.

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-up

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
Paajarvi-Cogliano-Brule
Jones-Fraser-MacIntyre

Whitney-Gilbert
Smid-Foster
Vandermeer-Peckham

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

Calgary FlamesProjected Line-up (thanks DropIt)

Tanguay-Jokinen-Iginla
Hagman-Morrison-Bourque
Glencross-Backlund-Jackman
Ivanans-Sutter-Meyer

Regehr-White
Bouwmeester-Giordano
Pardy-Brodie

Kiprusoff

Notable scratches: Conroy, Staios, Sarich

LIVE GAME CHAT

Closed.

POST-GAME REPORT

Wow. Best regular season game I’ve been to. I not only had front row seats to witness Eberle magic/history with his first ever NHL goal, but I got to watch all the goals but also some great fights – MacIntyre ko’ing Ivanans from a distance, Jones and Myer go at it, and perhaps the most underrated card on the night, Sutter vs Fraser. All I can say is you don’t fuck with the Sutters. Fraser went down hard – “Dowwwwn goooes Fraserrr!” (yes I know it’s “Frazier”, but I’m being witty, I think..). Plus Khabibulin got the shutout, although not overly tested. Hall looked really great in his first NHL game as well. Paajarvi didn’t quite jump out to me, but it might have had more to do with the magic shown by all the pieces of the Hall-Horcoff-Eberle line. It was their night. Hall disappeared a bit as the game wore on, but he sure was flying early on.

Good job to the boys tonight for not only not being pushed around, but pushing back so hard that we knocked them the eff out.

66 Responses to “GDT: Oilers vs. Flames – Game 1 – SEASON OPENER! – 2010-10-07 @ 8:00 PM – CBC”

Why isn’t MacIntyre playing against the flames? If not against the flames then who?

2. Trogdor says:

Maybe we’re still evaluating players, and MacIntyre is a shoe in. Curious to see who backs up Khabi tonight.

That picture wams my heart. I wonder what guys like Hunter and Semenko would be worth in today’s NHL. Both could actually play quite decently and skate well.

Just a few to get the blood flowing.

No Smac is interesting. Jones in. We have a pretty small lineup it seems, but don’t count out Smid, Vandermeer and Peckham.

According to both TSN and the Oilers preview, Smid is questionable (nose/neck) from the Bourque hit. Given he had neck surgery already, it’s a concern, anyone hear any more about it? Last article I read was a few days ago and said he had a doc apptmt to check it out.

6. Trogdor says:

Oh please be true…

7. NorwegianOiler says:

(Bad omen for Smid, this nose/NECK injury, he is already too prone to taking big hits around the boards)

I hope for this game, that we play with the speed necessary to avoid the physical game of the Flames.

I believe for this game, that the Flames will slow us down around the boards and expose the lack of a combination of size and skill.

I hope for this game that we can clear out the pucks from around our own net.

I believe for this game that we will be scored on with a deflection and/or close rebound goal.

I hope for this game that I see glimpses of a great future to be.

I believe for this game that I will see glimpses of a great future to be.

GO OILERS!

I had heard about Smid and the neck issue… that he was getting it checked out. That really does suck, coming off surgery. I assumed it was just precautionary. Effin’ Bourque. Where is Souray? We need him to go bust his hand on Bourque’s face…. :P

Just watch slapshot, I’m ready to go. Lets go Oilers, I forget what actual winning feels like….

10. YDNAR says:

You know as crappy ad most programs are on CBC they do an excellent job on their hockey coverage and intro into the BIG games they cover like hockey day in Canada and the start of the season I am even excited to watch the leafs and habs game and I dont care much for either team. I am sure looking forward to the Oil season feels good to have regular season hockey back. No big expectations from the Oil just a good hard working, learning season ……Let’s Go Oilers

11. DropIt says:

No problem Racki.

And I agree BO. They are a much faster team in footspeed. Look for Calgary to come out and use their huge size differencial and experince. I think Calgary may get off to a quick start, because Oiler youngins will come out hellblazing out of the gate and make some positional/mental mistakes

12. MetalOil says:

Trogdor: Oh please be true…“According to a Bell insider that spoke to Digital Home, Sportsnet One will be available on to Bell Satellite customers in the next few days, most likely when the NHL regular season gets started on October 7th.”http://www.digitalhome.ca/2010/10/sportsnet-one-rumoured-to-be-coming-to-bell-tv/

!!!!!!!
    Bell
    SN1-418
    SN1(Oilers)-437
    SN1HD-1409
    SN1HD(Oilers)-1437
    !!!!!!!!!!!!

Zack Stortini is out, Steve MacIntyre in according to Dan Tencer.

4 fights, 4 goals…1 of each of the highlight variety

A++++ would watch again

Racki, I’m going to want a pic of that knockout as part of the banner

It was loud in that building in the 3rd.

Steve-O: Racki, I’m going to want a pic of that knockout as part of the banner

Oh you fuckin know I’ll have that up. Just watched it on replay (didn’t get that at the game). Bombs. MacIntyre’s fists are made out of adamantium. lol

18. Haboiler says:

I had a chance to check out the replays on their website and was impressed by Jack Michaels’ calls. He got into it!

19. MetalOil says:

Lost in all this was the play of our D. They were physical, kept most shots to the perimeter, played a simple game and made good outlet passes. Full marks to all 6 blueliners in this game.

Yah, the D looked pretty good. Man does Whitney ever have patience/poise as well. There was once where he just slowly circled away from an attacker in front of Khabi, and I said to my girlfriend’s dad “man, he is so calm out there… we’re not calm watching that stuff.. but he’s calm”. lol

21. NorwegianOiler says:

I had an Oilgasm last night. The perfect game, and if we never win again, I can still go back and re-watch this game forever. What a beauty ;)

22. John says:

Racki: Just got back from the game… OH MY FUCKING GOD. I’ve seen some good games live, but that one is the best I’ve seen since the SCF. What a game. Big Mac ends the night with an exclamation point too. I almost felt sorry for Ivanans. It takes a big man to fight… he got KO’d.. fans jeered him all the way down his skate of shame. But that was one hell of a knock out. Eberle’s first goal was incredibly gorgeous. Lots of action.. lots of scraps… shutout for Rekhabi… Smid with a huge hit on Hagman right in front of me. Perfect game.It was loud in that building in the 3rd.

That’s awesome Racki, I was thinking the exact same thing! I wasn’t at the game last night but even on TV you could hear the crowd & feel the elecrcity that must have been going on. I was at game 6 of the SCF & while that game will go down in my personal history as the most wicked game the Oilers have played in 20years, last night has to be right up there too :)

Yah, I’d say it was the best regular season game I’ve been to, but nothing compares to a playoff game, really. The cup run was beyond insane. I was also at the 97 comeback vs. Dallas, and the place went ape shit. But last night, the crowd was pretty into it.

24. Ktown says:

We were having a great time on the chat – it’s been a long time since we’ve had that kind of game to watch in Oil Country…

I was surprised that the shot totals were so lopsided in the second, and even by the end of the game. Credit to somebody, but I really don’t recall Habbi having to rob anybody, or pull out any highlight reel saves. Did I miss them? For 37 shots, I don’t think there were a lot of really threatening scoring chances for the Flames…

As for MacIntyre and Ivanans – wow, talk about killing the last bit of fight on that Calgary bench. They basically folded up the tent and went home after that. I was thinking about this, but even though MacIntyre isn’t going to necessarily be fighting outside his weight class most nights, what does it do to a team to watch your own deterrent get carried off the ice? I think at that point, Mac’s done more than his job ’cause the offending team realizes they don’t have any protection anymore – there’s a huge psychological factor there. It definitely showed in the last couple of minutes yesterday…

Last night one thing I noticed was that the fights got the crowd energized. The building started rocking, and we had some good chants going there. Once that happened, I saw the Oilers come alive a bit. That’s another thing that gets mentioned, but downplayed a lot… but fights really spur a team on.

26. Mr.Majestyk says:

Hey Racki, what did you think of Jones last night? I don’t think he got that much ice time but I really liked what I saw. Even without the fight, he looks like he has some jump out there.

27. MetalOil says:

Really liked Peckham last night. I am a big Theo supporter but I was a lil worried about his game in the pre-season but it looks like the right decision was made to start him on the roster this season!!!

-A fight. (draw IMO)
    -6 Blocked shots
    -3Hits

28. Mr.Majestyk says:

I’m not a big supporter of Pecks, but I was happy with his play last night as well.

29. MetalOil says:

Looks like it is nothing too serious for Brule. Said he just tweaked his ankle and should be good to go on Sunday. Big sight of relief as I think Brule has been very strong all camp long and into last nights game.

Mr.Majestyk: Hey Racki, what did you think of Jones last night?I don’t think he got that much ice time but I really liked what I saw.Even without the fight, he looks like he has some jump out there.

I forgot to mention it in my post game wrap up, but I thought Jones was great. I mentioned it to the other fellows here that he made it look like he was the right choice. Not much ice time, but he made good use of it being physical and providing energy out there.

I like Peckham. Wasn’t really impressed with his fight at all (he was going for the takedown early) and he dodged a fight with Hordichuk (possibly because we were winning), which both come as a surprise to me, because I’ve always thought he was a good fighter. But he seemed to play decent last night.

One other thing about last night… it was a very good idea to not dress Stortini. Hear me out. I like Stortini, but he hasn’t quite found his groove yet this off-season. He often needs a good shove to get him going for several games, and then another shove several games later. Seeing MacIntyre in the line up in his place making huge waves will motivate him into realizing he isn’t a guarantee in our line up. And really, we don’t need both guys in the line up ever.

Jones has replaced Stortini

If thats the case, it’s temporarily, IMHO. Neither guy can put up any sort of offense, but I’d say when Stortini’s game is at it’s peak, he’s more effective on the ice. I wouldn’t get too infatuated with Jones and give up on Storts just yet.

I’m just saying they’re the same type of player, you only need one of them.

MacIntyre is kinda a different league. Like Nuke vs. artillery fire.

36. MetalOil says:

37. John says:

MetalOil: Nice mock story on “Sportscenter” regarding how pissed off the entire Oilers team is at Jordan Eberle for upstaging everyone on the Oilers on opening night. It is great to see the team having fun in a relaxed atmosphere despite having the weight of a rebuild on their backs. If you missed it I think it will be on TSN’s “Thats Hockey” @ 5:00PM Edm time or possibly on a later edition of “SportsCenter”.

Sounds good I’ll have to make a point of trying to find that. BTW, am I the only one who is addicted to “The Eberle Goal” as if it was crack? I must have watched the replay of that goal ten times since last night lol. Especially nice to go to work & collect my winnings from my buddy who is a hardcore Flamer fan Yaharrrr!

38. MetalOil says:

^^^ only 10x ^^^

I probably average that many views each hour today. (gimmie a break, it’s my day off :) )

hahahaha…that truly was awesome.

For those of you who haven’t seen it yet, here is a direct link.

pure gold.

40. Ktown says:

Whitney and Hall are great in that piece! Too funny!

Really good to see guys having fun in the room. That’s not going to hurt in the long run…

OH My god… that has to be one of the funniest hockey video’s I’ve seen. Up there with Slapshot. lol Seriously though, kudos to the team for acting so well… I wouldn’t have expected that. Didn’t sound scripted at all.

“Had I known all this would have happened, I would have just dumped it in the corner on the PK”

Wow…there are a bunch of people on the OMB that actually believed, and took the TSN spoof as being serious.

I’m so glad we have our POTF haven.

43. dawgtoy says:

That video is priceless, wife and I laughed. Thought Hall was great “it was supposed to be my night…”

44. hemmerlady says:

It was so funny to see him crack up at the end.

45. hemmerlady says:

@grtone – seriously? That’s pretty lame.
    I haven’t been on much lately. Place is trawling with trolls, Swede-worshippers (or both as the case may be).

46. dawgtoy says:

Please go to comment #52, you’ll kill yourselves laughing at this moron.

47. john says:

Cool, finally got to see the spoof & ya it was awesome! Horcoff does a pretty good dead-pan but Whitney was the best; he looked & sounded like he was dredging up high school drama class lol.They should have thrown Penner in since he’s such a goofball anyway.

hemmerlady: @grtone – seriously? That’s pretty lame.

49. hemmerlady says:

gr8one: lol…I love how you laid the smack down on that princessengla fool, again, and again, and again!!!

I did? I tried to ignore her as much as possible (I say her because she acts like a 12 year old with a crush on Mags) as she appeared early on to be a Troll.

Edit: sorry off topic, back to how awesome Ebs is.
    That goal makes me so happy it brings tears to my eyes!

I thought so. At least I thought it was you…lol.

I thought it was a her too.