GDT: Oilers vs. Flames – Game 1 – SEASON OPENER! – 2010-10-07 @ 8:00 PM – CBC

logo
0-0-0 Record 0-0-0
Location: Rexall Place
Date: October 7, 2010 @ 8:00 PM MST
TV: CBC

PRE-GAME

Home opener. Battle of Alberta. Going to the game, sitting in row 1 again. What more needs to be said? Can’t… fucking… wait. Hopefully we are on the winning side of this one, this time.

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-up

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
Paajarvi-Cogliano-Brule
Jones-Fraser-MacIntyre

Whitney-Gilbert
Smid-Foster
Vandermeer-Peckham

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

Calgary FlamesProjected Line-up (thanks DropIt)

Tanguay-Jokinen-Iginla
Hagman-Morrison-Bourque
Glencross-Backlund-Jackman
Ivanans-Sutter-Meyer

Regehr-White
Bouwmeester-Giordano
Pardy-Brodie

Kiprusoff

Notable scratches: Conroy, Staios, Sarich

LIVE GAME CHAT

Closed.

POST-GAME REPORT

Wow. Best regular season game I’ve been to. I not only had front row seats to witness Eberle magic/history with his first ever NHL goal, but I got to watch all the goals but also some great fights – MacIntyre ko’ing Ivanans from a distance, Jones and Myer go at it, and perhaps the most underrated card on the night, Sutter vs Fraser. All I can say is you don’t fuck with the Sutters. Fraser went down hard – “Dowwwwn goooes Fraserrr!” (yes I know it’s “Frazier”, but I’m being witty, I think..). Plus Khabibulin got the shutout, although not overly tested. Hall looked really great in his first NHL game as well. Paajarvi didn’t quite jump out to me, but it might have had more to do with the magic shown by all the pieces of the Hall-Horcoff-Eberle line. It was their night. Hall disappeared a bit as the game wore on, but he sure was flying early on.

Good job to the boys tonight for not only not being pushed around, but pushing back so hard that we knocked them the eff out.

66 Responses to “GDT: Oilers vs. Flames – Game 1 – SEASON OPENER! – 2010-10-07 @ 8:00 PM – CBC”

I just want to say that it was horrible how Jordin Eberbalay was treated by his teammates!!!!! There jealusy is pretty ovious in this vid. Joran is the most gifted player weve had here sense Sheldin Surray (dont get me started)!

I was pretty disgusted seeing Sean Horcatheif steal Jodran’s 2econd goal by kneeing it in the net. And this is are captin??!!!! This guy can’t lead shit down my toilet, let alone the Edmonton Oilers. This guy makes Shane Corsan look like JOnthin Tays.. TavesTates… that kid in Chicago.

Fuck it. I’m so tired of this garbage organization. I’m cancelling my seasons tickets to the Oil Kings tomorrow. I’d cancel the Oilers, but I don’t have those tickets, so I’m going to just cancel the OIl Kings instead, to express my flustration towarts Steve Tamballini!!!!

We should have never traided Vishnovski for Whtiney either!!! At least Visnoffsteen would celeberate Johan’s goals!!!

P.S. screw you Taytlor Hawl, you dry-haired cry baby. He couldn’t break a sweat if he dropped it off a skyscraper.

Racki… OUT.

P.P.S., that Dave MacIntosh can throw a punch! What a knock out on Ivan Nannas last night!

2. hemmerlady says:

Very Mal-apropos. lol – classic

haha…I <3 Racki.

"JOnthin Tays.. Taves… Tates… that kid in Chicago."

LOVE IT!!!

4. Ktown says:

Bahahaha!!! too funny, Racki…

Oddly, I posted the link to that vid on my facebook, and had a guy comment that Whitney, Horcoff and Hall were all being prima-donnas, etc…

I couldn’t believe it… some people are just so ‘precious’.

Everytime I start to gain a little faith in humanity, some people pop up and just give me a nice healthy dose of reality.

5. MetalOil says:

Yeah it just goes to show you how fragile this fan base has become. Some fans are just waiting to pounce on any player, coach or manager on the Oil at first chance. I am so glad that TSN & the Oilers teamed up and exposed these fans !!!

6. hemmerlady says:

A facebook “friend” posted this today: “any OILERS fans see the sabres vs sens game tonight? equally impressive goal scored on the back hand. honestly, curb your enthusiasm. i guess years of garbage teams and the pronger debacle has really left you with nothing to cheer about. dont worry, im excited as you are hockey is back. toe drag backhand goals happen every other game, get over it.”

GRRRRRRR. What’s with the hostility?

8. hemmerlady says:

gr8one: Did you reply that it wasn’t just Oiler fans making a big deal about that goal, but also national main stream media outlets that would normally rather cover a Kadri hemmeroid than a team in the west winning a cup let along a good goal. Not to mention a good handful of the games best goal scorers and superstars raving about the goal?I’m guessing the hostility is derived from this person having had to cheer for the Canucks for a lifetime, I’d probably feel hostile too cheering for a team that has never won anything. lol

lol that is a good point.

Here is my reply. It is a lot nicer than it needed to be.
    “….uh what’s with the hostility? People (not just Oiler fans, but sports commentators and hockey fans in general) are excited about the goal because it was an exciting goal. Why does that bother you?

As fans we’ve gone through a lot, and …I think it says more about us that we stand by our team even when the chips are down. It’s called loyalty.”

haha…good stuff. :-D

10. hemmerlady says:

Nucks just lost……..poetic justice. :)

11. Ktown says:

hemmerlady:
    ”Canucks fans seem to delight in saying that we “suck” and repeating “30th place” as many times as possible. I just don’t understand it. I am quietly gleeful when the Nucks choke every year, but I don’t delight in taunting them about it. I think it’s classless to behave that way.

Pop-psychology moment: Hear me out. This gets into some Dr. Phil.

I honestly believe that Canucks fans are compensating for the last 30+ years. During that time they’ve really been the ‘other’ Western Canadian team other than Calgary and Edmonton.

They’ve always been the ‘red-headed stepchild’ in western Canadian hockey circles, and have spent so much time being ignored or dismissed that it has sunken into the collective consciousness. Now that they have a decent team, they’re really trying to make sure everybody realizes that they’re not the ‘little brother’ anymore. Unfortunately, because they’ve spent so long being downtrodden, they don’t (subconsciously) believe they’re worthy. So instead of touting their own team’s positives, their only recourse is to try to make their peers look worse – hence the unnecessary acting out.

It’s evidenced a lot in their constant attempts to insinuate themselves into the BoA by saying that there now exists a bigger rivalry (for Calgary) with Vancouver, because the Oilers are so bad. While I can certainly believe there has been more significant competition between the two recently, the BoA will always be the BoA and the past 3 seasons have borne that out – even with the Oil languishing at the bottom while Calgary has typically been one of the better teams in the Western Conference. They are trying to make themselves seem more important in a situation valuable to Oilers and Flames fans in an attempt to increase their own vision of their worth. Think of it as your younger sibling constantly stealing your clothes and possessions in a (subconscious) attempt to be you (or rather a better version of what they perceive to be a measuring stick).

It also rears its head when they continue to tout their Northwest Division titles in the same breath that they decry Oil and Flames fans for ‘living in the past’ when mentioning the fact that we’ve actually won championships. They basically make their innocuous division titles in the RECENT past more important while minimizing actual Stanley Cup Championships that were much longer ago.

The trouble was, I managed to make honor rolls, played sports, went to University, (and parents, peers, etc. made far too big a deal out of this) and so he always felt he had big shoes to fill as he went through. In his later teens and early twenties, he would flount some relatively simple accomplishments as evidence of superiority, while dismissing my accomplishments for some reason or another. It was only after I actually sat down and spoke to him about it, and explained that he didn’t need to compete with me on anything (he has a far different set of talents than I do – and in his strengths, he truly is amazing) and started recognizing his accomplishments in those areas, that he started to calm down.

12. Ktown says:

Wow… I have way too much time on my hands today, waiting for the Oilers game… *sigh*

Sorry for the huge diatribe…

Interesting post Ktown. Who has more time, the individual who wrote the post, or the guy who read it? :P

That brings up an interesting topic though, on many terms, specifically though “what makes a fan, a good fan”?. Many people who post comments all over the interwebs: youtube, tsn, message boards, the list goes on and on… are the typical “X team is lesser, with the thought of their team/organization being the pinnacle”. Simply “Your team sucks/negative comments go here”.

Then there are those who give a little more thought, this team sucks, here are some of the facts to prove it.

Then all the way to the “well-rounded” fan who has a firm understanding of the game and respect for other teams/players all the way down to the individual plays of the game. I’m not saying they are “Oh every team is good, and has their strengths and weaknesses” but more thought goes into saying something like. “Flames suck!” I think this well rounded fan would be someone like Lowetide. Anyways, just rambling on…

14. hemmerlady says:

Ktown:

They basically make their innocuous division titles in the RECENT past more important while minimizing actual Stanley Cup Championships that were much longer ago. It honestly does remind me of my own little brother. There’s a significant age difference between us, and my accomplishments (and the subsequent attention I received for them) seem to have left him with a mild inferiority complex that he is now only recently starting to move away from (thank God).
    The trouble was, I managed to make honor rolls, played sports, went to University, (and parents, peers, etc. made far too big a deal out of this) and so he always felt he had big shoes to fill as he went through. In his later teens and early twenties, he would flount some relatively simple accomplishments as evidence of superiority, while dismissing my accomplishments for some reason or another. It was only after I actually sat down and spoke to him about it, and explained that he didn’t need to compete with me on anything (he has a far different set of talents than I do – and in his strengths, he truly is amazing) and started recognizing his accomplishments in those areas,that he started to calm down.I find it very similar when dealing with Canuck “fans/trolls” that its almost like going home again (LOL). The nice thing is when you find some of those good fans, and can actually have a decent conversation with them, you find that they’re not all bad, and indeed, some of them have actually grown up a little.

I agree that the most common retort Canucks fans make in reference to our Cups is “what have you done for us lately?” as if that negates our past success.

I found your post both interesting and apt. I too have been struggling with the fallout from sibling rivalry. My sister is the youngest, and I’m the oldest. Similar to your story I went to college, then university, and had some success in my field. Severe struggles recently have halted my progress, and I’ve suffered a crisis of confidence. My sister is thriving now, and I believe, about to achieve something in my field that I’ve always dreamed of but haven’t yet realized. Obviously I’m envious. But to add to it, when I was working on a project last year, she said some very hurtful things about my work (I’m in the creative field, or trying to be), which I was already very insecure about. It’s not a secret to her that I’m a sensitive person. So, I’d like to be happy for her, but I’m hurt and angry and I’m not sure it’s fair for me to be “supportive” considering what she’s said, her lack of reciprocity in working our issues out, and her failure to seem even in the least contrite. I’m stuck in a quagmire of doubt and defeatism, and that isn’t her fault, but every time I think of her or her projects I feel awful.

…sorry to turn this into a couch session, your post just rang a bell for me, Ktown. My problem is starting to affect other areas of my life, like my ability to fully enjoy and appreciate fantastic Oilers games. :(

Awww, big POTF group hug for HL.

If it makes you feel any better, I clicked your myspace link on your twitter page(hope you don’t find that creepy, and don’t worry, I’m not a a stalker, lol :-P) and from what I heard/saw there, you seem to be sublimely talented, and have looks to go with it too! So keep your head up, and realize that your sisters comments were more than likely derived from her own feelings of inadequacy toward you.

Don’t let ANYTHING get in the way of enjoying good Oilers hockey!

As for K-town’s post, I think you nailed it buddy, I totally agree with that analysis, good job on articulating it so well.

16. hemmerlady says:

@gr(eight)one: That was nice. That actually did make me feel better. Thanks. P.S. I don’t think you’re creepy – if I didn’t want anyone to go to my website, I wouldn’t share the url or my twitter. :)