Finally…

By , October 21, 2010 2:44 pm

Oh yeah!

Sorry for jammin’ up on the GDT below but…

As per an Oilers email and more news available here. Just noticed that Haboiler called it in the comments too.

The Edmonton Oilers are proud to announce they will be making history as the first Canadian NHL team to launch a Cheer Team, and in doing so joining the company of the 23 other NHL teams.

19 Responses to “Finally…”

1. Aaron A says:

One picture… that’s it?

2. John says:

Like I said on the OMB even though I’m a traditionalist, the powers to be have fucked with the game so much to the point that I barely recognise it from my youth. What difference does this addition make aside from actually having another form of distraction from the increasingly frequent commercial time outs ?

To quote Quagmire, “All rigggght giggity, giggity, giggity” ;)

It was just a matter of time. LaForge’s interview on it yesterday was pretty funny to me. It was on CHED during the intermission. He was trying to portray it as professional dancers who liven up the crowd, which I suppose is true, but really it’s about, well, you know. I’m totally cool with it though.

So, am I a the only one who would be on the selection committee for free? :P I think it would be hillarious, kinda like American Idol auditions. I bet you get the onces that are really serious and do good (St. Pete’s style) and the ones that are like watching a trainwreck (Yellowhead Inn style).

Not that I would know….

My thoughts that I posted on HF http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=28467501&postcount=121

4. Mr.Majestyk says:

I was more in favour of Ice Girls but this doesn’t bother me the way it bothers some fans, and probably most of the female fans. I’m curious what sort of compensation they get, not that I’m interested in trying out for the team :) There’s a ton of information on the Oilers site about what they would be required to do, all the public/charity engagements, basically needing to be free at any time they might need you. Do they actually get paid or is it just something they do on the side? I think they should get paid a decent wage is all. I’m sure the demands of the job are a lot bigger than most of us think.

5. Trogdor says:

6. Mr.Majestyk says:

Do NFL cheerleaders get paid?

Trogdor: I do believe the Eskimo Cheer team is comprised of volunteers. Somewhat like playing minor hockey which you have to pay for to participate in and I recall working a smokey bingo or two in my youth in excess of team fees.

Yup. Same thing with our lacrosse team. I know some of the girls from there (they had a booth next to mine at a recent tradeshow). It’s all volunteer.

@ MM, I agree. Everyone wants a working girl to make a fair wage. Amirite?

hemmerlady: *Rolls eyes*

Not gonna get on the pre-order list for the calendar? ;)

Steve-O: Barely

LMFAO!!! I’m sure they get other, erm, “benefits”.

10. Mr.Majestyk says:

Okay, since they don’t get paid, I change my opinion. They should be paid and if the Oilers are too cheap to do that, we don’t need cheerleaders.

Hmmm, mixed feelings on this – I’ve never really seen hockey as the traditional cheerleader type event. Now if I were to roll my life back 20 odd years, I’d probably audition, but primarily so I could get into and watch the games for free. So I probably wouldn’t be that great at the cheers since I’d be looking at the jumbotron for the replays.

I’ll be honest, but if I were to have the lady bits I’d do it in a heartbeat. Free games man. That’s sweet. But then again, I have no shame/pride/self respect as proven today by wearing a bright pink bitch hat to lunch.

LOL, good times, Steve-O… good times.

14. otto says:

Pretty demeaning, I gotta say. I’d be too embarrassed to use my t&a to get into hockey games. It’s like family friendly prostitution.

15. otto says:

chucker: It was just a matter of time.LaForge’s interview on it yesterday was pretty funny to me.It was on CHED during the intermission.He was trying to portray it as professional dancers who liven up the crowd, which I suppose is true, but really it’s about, well, you know.I’m totally cool with it though.So, am I a the only one who would be on the selection committee for free? I think it would be hillarious, kinda like American Idol auditions.I bet you get the onces that are really serious and do good (St. Pete’s style) and the ones that are like watching a trainwreck (Yellowhead Inn style).Not that I would know….My thoughts that I posted on HFhttp://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=28467501&postcount=121

Ooooh, you’re Seedling. I was wondering who the eff was trying to add me as a friend.