By , September 15, 2010 8:47 am
Alex Plante stood out in game #2

Alex Plante stood out in game #2

Well, the Oilers are 2-0 so far in the Young Stars tournament, earning a 5-3 win over Calgary’s future stars (stats available here). Missing from the lineup were the Oilers big 3 for this game – Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, and Magnus Pääjärvi (the fancy dots are for you, NorweiganOiler :P).

Alex Plante seemed to be the biggest stand out for the Oilers last night, with 2 goals (one an empty netter, but in fairness it was a very nice play for him to step up in the neutral zone to steal the puck away). Other goal scorers last night were Tyler Pitlick, Chris Vande Velde and Mike Thomas (who was set up beautifully by a behind-the-back pass from Ryan Martindale). Tyler Bunz played a decent game and even kept the team in it several times as the skaters scrambled to contain the Flames’ persistent attack.

Tonight, the Oilers Young Stars will face off against the San Jose Shark’s equivalents. The Sharks are 1-1 in the tournament so far with a 4-1 win over the Ducks on Sunday and a 5-3 loss at the hands of the Canucks on Monday.

More details to come, when they are available.

UPDATED 1:10PM:

Here are the tentative lines for the Oilers. As you can see, they will be playing the top 3 together, with Hall on the dot. Also, Jeff Petry returns.. good to hear.

Magnus Paajarvi (82) – Taylor Hall (84) – Jordan Eberle (78)
Milan Kytnar (64) – Tyler Pitlick (68) – Philippe Cornet (51)
Curtis Hamilton (52) – Chris Vande Velde (54) – Kristians Pelss (63)
Teemu Hartikainen (56) – Ryan Martindale (66) – Cameron Abney (53)
Drew Czerwonka (71) – Chase Schaber (74) – James Livingston (69)

Martin Marincin (70) – Jeff Petry (58)
Brandon Davidson (60) – Alex Plante (48)
Johan Motin (39) – Jeremie Blain (61)
Dallas Erhardt (75) – Dominik Schlumpf (72)

Bryan Pitton (50)

3.00 GA/G 2.00
3-14 / 21.4% PP 3-14 / 21.4%
9-11 / 81.8% PK 7-9 / 77.8%
34.0 S/G 28.0
27.0 SA/G 33.0

UPDATE After the Game:

Just a quick note here for those that missed it. The top line of MPS, Hall and Eberle looked good. MPS and Hall seem to have a bit of chemistry together. Really though, all 3 work well together and show signs that they will be very good players. Pääjärvi was just a step above everyone though (on the Oilers, that is). He is one heck of a player. Consider me sold on what Hemsky and Forsberg have said about him. He’s got speed out the ying yang, and good hockey sense.

Also, keep an ear out on news about Alex Plante. According to Jason Gregor, he took a punch to the back of the head, but he also looked like he hit his head on the ice, sans-helmet.. so that might be what it was. Anyways, this would be his second concussion, if that’s what ends up happening.. and that’s not good news. Hopefully he’s alright. He left the game early… I’m hoping that it was just precautionary.

88 Responses to “Young Stars GDT – Edmonton Oilers 3, San Jose Sharks 4 – Game 3 – Sep. 15, 2010 @ 8:30 – Webcast”

1. NorwegianOiler says:

There can’t be enough Oilers games right now, so a back-to-back is nice ;) (I noticed the sleeping colons, all the a’ss are happy now). Mind you, they don’t figure in the Norwegian alphabet. We’d use the more latinesque æ (a+e)
    /end lesson.

Hope we get as entertaining a game as last night, with as much ferocity!

(Btw, thought Bunz played a better game than Roy did, overall. Bunz looked quite sharp throughout)

I liked what I saw from both goaltenders actually. Very promising. There were a couple of moments where I wanted to bungee Bunz’s bunz in the net, but aside from that he looked good.

Roy I didn’t see a lot of, since i missed part of the game and the feed was horrible. But what I did see, he looked pretty good. That one save he made was pretty phenomenal, but I won’t base judgment on one or two saves (nor one bad goal, for that matter).

3. DropIt says:

Will be interested to see how Plante plays again. Obviously his recent play won’t immediately translate to the NHL, but given a couple AHL years he could become a solid 4-6 Dman in the young uprising behind the leadership of Whitney and Vandermeer

Hall centers eberle and paajarvi tonight per bob stauffer

Updated the post with lines and team comparison.

REALLY excited to see the top 3 together. Although putting all our eggs in one basket might not be as good as one would think. I have to wonder if Paajarvi can play the same type of game as Hall and Eberle (or more so the reverse). It’ll be interesting to see though! This is a definite must watch, tonight.

Woohoo!!! 1.0 winning percentage. Where do you think we should start the parade? ;)

7. MetalOil says:

Nice !!! Our first glimpse of Hall at center. I will be intrigued to say the least.

MPS-Hall-Eberle tonight? Nice!

Hopefully 3-0 is in the Oilers cards tonight. Was really liking Pitlick and Plante’s games last night.

Boston, if you want in the pool you better get signed up, it;s almost full!

Wheres the link LOL???

I would guess that you should be checking your e-mail (the address you mailed me)

Bostonoiler: Wheres the link LOL???

lol, insert facepalm here—> facepalm <—here.

What Racki said.

:-P

Racki: I’m not sure if you are facepalming yourself (for not sending the invite, if you didn’t), or BostonOiler for not checking his e-mail (if you did send the link), but next year’s competition will have a skill test… if you can’t sign up, you fail and don’t make the cut. lol

haha, I was thinking the same thing about the signup requisite!

and the faceplam was for BO not checking, and I know ir wa sent because it was a simultaneous invitation with LNOF, and she got hers.

C’mon BO, get in there!!!

and yes, that should make it full.

If however there are a fairly significant amount still wanting to join, I would make a second league and if some others wanted to be in two it might work.

whatever, up to you all.

15. Mr.Majestyk says:

There’s still a fair amount of time before the season starts so, yeah, there might be enough people still interested that could start up another pool. Only problem is Racki would have to join both pools to prove he’s a real champion, and willing to take on all comers. haha.

Team Clubber Lang

I would happily win both pools! All you suckers don’t stand a chance..

Game on, btw, for those who haven’t tuned in

OH WOW, 2 huge hits back to back by Pitlick. What a shift!

Wow i have to say that the chemistry between Paajarvi and Hall was unexpected. Good so far.. we’ll see if they keep it going.

zackman35: Eberle looks like he’s in his own league with his puck handling skills. MPS amazing speed and good chem between the big three. Hall, nothing extraordinary yet…

I don’t know, he’s just getting in the right spots, offensively… got a couple of great shots off. Just took a penalty though. I like that they’re playing the skill kids on the PK though, even though it didn’t work out. Eberle battled hard though on that goal against.

Damn it… feed takes a crap during a fight..

I like Abney. :D

23. Haboiler says:

GGGGOOOAAAALLLLL!

Paajarvi scoorrress! Banked it in off the d-man.

Haha, that was awesome, I think that was an intentional bank shot for the goal.

gr8one: I like Abney. :D

Me too. I missed that fight though… good one?

My feed was good, speaking of feeding, Abney sure fed Finn good. I hope he goes after Mashinter next! Yeah, Slapshot reference!

Did Plante end up dressing tonight? If so he should be guarding the blue at the start of next period.

gr8one: Haha, that was awesome, I think that was an intentional bank shot for the goal.

Yah it looked intentional to me. At first I thought he banked it off the goaltender… maybe he was trying to bank it off someone and in though and got lucky on the d-man.

Racki:
    Me too. I missed that fight though… good one?Hmm, not a good fight for Thomas. This Mashinter looks like he’s going to go again. lol

Yeah, Abney schooled him good.

I hope someone shitkicks Mashinter, you don’t need to jump on someone like that when you outsize him that much.

gr8one: Is it just me, or does Eberle always look like he just smoked a big fat blunt? lol

He’s cross eyed. He’s blessed with the great looks of Horcoff.

lol Chucker.

33. MetalOil says:

MP really impresses me !!! He just looks miles ahead of anyone else out there. His speed and drive to the net is just incredable !!!

34. Haboiler says:

Plante hurt again…. hope its not serious…

gr8one: I like Strorts well enough now, but I wish someone would water torture him until he removes “and ahhhh…” from his vocabulary. His interviews drive me bonkers.lol Chucker.

haha I love Storts. Great guy.. down to earth. My mom met him once when she was sick in the hospital and spoke pretty highly of meeting him too.

chucker:
    He’s cross eyed.He’s blessed with the great looks of Horcoff.

Horcoff and Eberle should form a line. Too bad we didn’t land Heatley.. we could have had a line dubbed “The Crazy Eyes” in honor of the Crazy 8′s Line

Haha nicely done on the jersey gr8one

heh, thanks!

I actually meant to put in the pool thread though. sry!

39. Haboiler says:

Looks great Gr8one!

no worries.. i’ll move it there for you

Feed has taken a shit on me. Although that might just be my internet having issues.

yeah, my feed is working great.

thanks Racki, I just edited it out though, and posted it in the other thread myself, and thanks Haboiler! :)

Christ, I’m missing EVERYTHING now… yet another fight missed.

Didn’t miss that much with that fight.

Drew “Willy” Czerwonka and the Shark guy danced a bit and the Willy fell.

What the hell is that horn that always goes off intermittently in that arena? It fakes me out to the period ending every time!

The horn is to signal a tv timeout, basically.

There’s my dark horse with the goal! (Livingston)

Oh man.. I love you MPS…

Never heard of this Scarbosa, but damn you…