By , September 15, 2010 8:47 am
Alex Plante stood out in game #2

Alex Plante stood out in game #2

Well, the Oilers are 2-0 so far in the Young Stars tournament, earning a 5-3 win over Calgary’s future stars (stats available here). Missing from the lineup were the Oilers big 3 for this game – Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, and Magnus Pääjärvi (the fancy dots are for you, NorweiganOiler :P).

Alex Plante seemed to be the biggest stand out for the Oilers last night, with 2 goals (one an empty netter, but in fairness it was a very nice play for him to step up in the neutral zone to steal the puck away). Other goal scorers last night were Tyler Pitlick, Chris Vande Velde and Mike Thomas (who was set up beautifully by a behind-the-back pass from Ryan Martindale). Tyler Bunz played a decent game and even kept the team in it several times as the skaters scrambled to contain the Flames’ persistent attack.

Tonight, the Oilers Young Stars will face off against the San Jose Shark’s equivalents. The Sharks are 1-1 in the tournament so far with a 4-1 win over the Ducks on Sunday and a 5-3 loss at the hands of the Canucks on Monday.

More details to come, when they are available.

UPDATED 1:10PM:

Here are the tentative lines for the Oilers. As you can see, they will be playing the top 3 together, with Hall on the dot. Also, Jeff Petry returns.. good to hear.

Magnus Paajarvi (82) – Taylor Hall (84) – Jordan Eberle (78)
Milan Kytnar (64) – Tyler Pitlick (68) – Philippe Cornet (51)
Curtis Hamilton (52) – Chris Vande Velde (54) – Kristians Pelss (63)
Teemu Hartikainen (56) – Ryan Martindale (66) – Cameron Abney (53)
Drew Czerwonka (71) – Chase Schaber (74) – James Livingston (69)

Martin Marincin (70) – Jeff Petry (58)
Brandon Davidson (60) – Alex Plante (48)
Johan Motin (39) – Jeremie Blain (61)
Dallas Erhardt (75) – Dominik Schlumpf (72)

Bryan Pitton (50)

3.00 GA/G 2.00
3-14 / 21.4% PP 3-14 / 21.4%
9-11 / 81.8% PK 7-9 / 77.8%
34.0 S/G 28.0
27.0 SA/G 33.0

UPDATE After the Game:

Just a quick note here for those that missed it. The top line of MPS, Hall and Eberle looked good. MPS and Hall seem to have a bit of chemistry together. Really though, all 3 work well together and show signs that they will be very good players. Pääjärvi was just a step above everyone though (on the Oilers, that is). He is one heck of a player. Consider me sold on what Hemsky and Forsberg have said about him. He’s got speed out the ying yang, and good hockey sense.

Also, keep an ear out on news about Alex Plante. According to Jason Gregor, he took a punch to the back of the head, but he also looked like he hit his head on the ice, sans-helmet.. so that might be what it was. Anyways, this would be his second concussion, if that’s what ends up happening.. and that’s not good news. Hopefully he’s alright. He left the game early… I’m hoping that it was just precautionary.

88 Responses to “Young Stars GDT – Edmonton Oilers 3, San Jose Sharks 4 – Game 3 – Sep. 15, 2010 @ 8:30 – Webcast”

1. Haboiler says:

MPS is becoming my fav as well Racki. Eberle was my fav and I still think he is awesome but man can MPS skate and pass!

Way to go Livingston! Sign that boy the the Farm!!!

btw, I saw Tencer twit earlier that Tambellini told him every one of these players is getting an invite to main camp. That’s pretty cool IMHO.

I just have this feeling that in about 5 years time, Pitlick will be my favorite Oiler.

You know, it looks like Sgarbossa wasn’t even drafted. I wonder what the deal is there.. i.e., is he actually Sharks property? Just wondering. The fact that he wasn’t drafted makes me wonder if this hat trick tonight is just the product of a lucky game.

Yah I caught that tweet too about the invites. I think I’m going to try and make it to Saturday’s practice. Early start though, and I haven’t slept in for what feels like forever.

And FYI, when it’s Tencer tweeting they’re called twits.

Just noticed there is no trapezoid behind the net.. is this going to be official in the NHL? Did I miss something? Or did they just realize how ghey it was and remove it for the YS tourney?

gr8one: Yeah, probably, but every once in awhile those players sneak through though. Penner went undrafted too.AndFYI, when it’s Tencer tweeting they’re called twit.

Twat is also acceptable.

And I see why Sgarbossa “slipped through”.. he’s 165 lbs, although 5’11.

OHL numbers were also nothing to brag about.

According to Jason Gregor… Plante took a punch to the back of the head. Sorry if this was obvious to you folks, but my feed licks balls right now, so I missed some action.

HALL SCOOORRRESSSS!!

Nice slap shot ;) Rifled it there..

That made me smile. :)

Boy, score that one to Bendfeld, big time. Nice scrap. And at least, he let the guy back into the fight, unlike that asshat that chainsawed Thomas (?) while he was going down.

Where in the hell is everyone else?

Damn that was almost a beauty play , Hall setting up Eberle..

nice, nice and nice.

Marancin and Hall had great shifts there. and Eb’s almost potted one from a crazy angle!

Hall seems to have woken up.

I would really like to see a Hall/Pitlick/Paajarvi line.

Come on, Mr. Clutch!

18. Haboiler says:

The boys are showing some character here… liking what I’m seeing…

Wow… nice save by Pitton there.

Way to keep us in it Pitton!

Eberle no slouch tonight either. These guys aren’t competing against tough competition, really, but they’ve shown me enough to make me happy, anyway.

Haboiler: The boys are showing some character here… liking what I’m seeing…

troof.

Racki: Hall has looked good, but man, MPS does not look 19. That guy is as good as the other players have been touting him. Wheels, plus great hockey sense.

troof, too.

You know it’s a rookie showcase/tryout kinda thing when there’s 4 or 5 fights in a non-divisional game

25. Haboiler says:

Seems like Hall is having a pretty good nite in the dot….

wow, that comment Principe just made about Paajarvi playing in the SEL when other kids his age were playing midget sure put things in perspective.

His stride/skating is just so effortless.

zackman35: Well, I’ve been working on the layout a bit but tuned in for the last few mins, how’d the second/first half of the third go?

Hall woke up for the 3rd, and scored a PP goal. Pitton made an incredible save to keep the Oil within 1… couple of fights. Been a pretty good game overall. And I’ve been happy with the top line, as well as Pitlick, Kytnar, Hartikainen, to name a few.

Ahh shit… so Plante suffered a concussion from hitting his head on the ice (sorry, not a punch to the back of the head, but the ice to the back of the head.. I recall seeing him nursing it after the fight). He’s slowly caught my interest since being called up last year.

edit: oops, ignore me.. lol he didn’t suffer a concussion (afaik). I was reading old news!

Todd Nelson fails for not putting Mr. Clutch on the ice for the dying seconds. lol (unless I just missed him)

Ah darn that sucks about Plante. “And the Oilers run out of time” – I wonder how many times we’ll here that this year. :razz: Oh well, hopefully Plante recovers and I’ll be happy. Pretty decent show from the kids tonight. Sclumpf sp* seemed like he got a bit of ice time too.

Racki: Sorry, ignore me on Plante.. I looked too quickly. I know he left the game from hitting his head on the ice (by the looks of it), but we don’t know if he suffered any concussion or injury though.

If its another concussion that is bad news bears, hopefully he’s just being really cautious.

Yeah, my stomach sank when I saw him skating to the box. He just looked a little wobbly and had that dazed look in his eyes. I really hope it’s not a concussion.

34. Haboiler says:

from @jireland – A. Plante said he wasn’t kept out with concussion-like symptoms. He had a spasms so a decision was made to err on side of caution.

Thats some good news there….

35. Smytty777 says:

@Haboiler:

Didn’t Plante miss most of post-draft season with a bad back? Spasms would also worry me. If Plante has a healthy season I wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the Oilers next year full-time (2011-12), but injuries (both back and concussions) are a major concern.

I’m pretty sure he was taken out of the game because he hit his head on the ice (he got wrestled to the ground, helmet-less in a fight). When I saw him go down, it didn’t LOOK like he hit his head, to me… but he was holding his head after, and Gene was talking about it and kind of freaked. And apparently he had stitches (I think) for it. So I think that’s what it’s from. However, if you’re having spasms of any sort after hitting your head, that doesn’t sound so good to me either.. but I’m no doc.

So Smytty777 nailed it….

The spasms are back spams, as mentioned by Jason Gregor (apparently). After doing some digging, I see that he did have back problems (amongst other things) back in 07/08, after he was drafted and had that horrible injury-plagued year.