By , September 14, 2010 8:57 am
Tyler Pitlick - who cares about the top 3 Oil prospects? :P

Tyler Pitlick - who cares about the top 3 Oil prospects? :P

Been a while since we’ve had one of these, and what better way to kick it off than with a Young Stars game. This is something we haven’t paid nearly enough attention to here, in part to me being away for the weekend. But we’ll do them for game 2 onward.

Tonight the Oilers rookies play home to the Flames rookies in Penticton, B.C.. The game starts at 8:30 PM MST and will be televised on SportsnetOne (just kidding – don’t flip out on your providers for not having SportsnetOne just yet). Seriously, it will be webcast, like the last one.

The last game was a 4-1 win for the Oilers vs. the Canucks rookies. Magnus Paajarvi (insert fancy dots above some vowels) led the Oilers in scoring with 2 goals including one powerplay goal where he danced all around the ice, picked up the puck in the high slot and beat the Canucks netminder. Eberle had one goal, assisted by Hall. Tyler Pitlick scored the 4th goal, into an empty net. Olivier Roy made 28 saves in a very nice display of goaltending, but the goal he allowed was reportedly a softer goal by Kevin Connauton (however he absolutely robbed one of the Canucks rookies in the dying seconds of the 1st).

The line to watch for the Flames tonight is one of Jon Rheault, Mikael Backlund and Lance Bouma. The slick Swede Backstrom has played 24 games for the Flames already and has 1 goal and 9 assists for the NHL Flames. In the Young Stars tourney, he recorded a goal and an assist vs. the Ducks (8-4 win for Calgary). Rheault led the Flames rookies with a hat-trick and an assist, and Bouma went scoreless.

For the Oilers, the usual suspects will be interesting to watch, but also keep an eye on Teemu Hartikainen. He was kept off the score sheet on Sunday, however, he absolutely wall papered a Canuck and then drew a penalty on the play on one of his shifts, and reportedly looked good through out. Pitlick is also a guy that several were talking about after the game. Of course, you could also watch Paajarvi, Hall and Eberle too, but who wants to see those guys??

Here are the tentative lines, per oilers.nhl.com:

Taylor Hall (84) – Milan Kytnar (64) – Jordan Eberle (78)
Magnus Paajarvi (82) – Tyler Pitlick (68) – Philippe Cornet (51)
Curtis Hamilton (52) – Chris Vande Velde (54) – Kristians Pelss (63)
Teemu Hartikainen (56) – Ryan Martindale (66) – Cameron Abney (53)
Drew Czerwonka (71) – Chase Schaber (74) – James Livingston (69)

Martin Marincin (70) – Jeff Petry* (58)
Brandon Davidson (60) – Alex Plante (48)
Johan Motin (39) – Jeremie Blain (61)
Dallas Erhardt** (75) – Dominik Schlumpf (72)

Tyler Bunz (1)
Bryan Pitton (50)
Olivier Roy (30)

* Left Saturday’s practice injured but it’s not believed to be serious.
** Suffered a knee injury during Sunday’s practice, but the severity is unknown at this time.

UPDATED: The big three are scratched tonight. Tyler Bunz will also start in goal. I’m interested to see what he’s capable of, so I’m happy about him in net. Too bad we won’t see the big trio vs. Calgary, but that’s OK.. let’s see some more of our future tonight. There are other players on this team, believe it or not!

TEAM COMPARISON

STATS
1 GP 1
1 W 1
0 L 0
0 OT 0
1.000 W% 1.000
8.00 G/G 4.00
4.00 GA/G 1.00
4-7 / 57.1% PP 0-5 / 0%
1-3 / 33.3% PK 3-3 / 100%
41.0 S/G 21.0
22.0 SA/G 28.0

127 Responses to “Young Stars GDT – Edmonton Oilers 5, Calgary Flames 3 – Game 2 – Sep. 14, 2010 @ 8:30 – Webcast”

Bunz of Steel!!!!!

(copyright 2010 Racki)

I hope not, maybe Crystal has a younger sister. :P

Oh man.. big and ugly hit there by a Flame. Not sure who that was that got wallpapered.

Edit: Cameron on Davidson

gr8one: LNOF, did ya get the email invite for the pool?

Yup – haven’t had a chance to do anything with it yet but will do so after the game.

Schlumpf sat alone in a boggy marsh..
    Totally motionless except for his heart.
    Mud flowed up into Schlumpf’s pjamas…
    He totally confused all the passing piranhas..

He’s Schlumpf, he’s Schlumpf, he’s Schlumpf.. he’s in our head.

He’s Schlumpf, he’s Schlumpf, he’s Schlumpf.. he might be dead.

Oh, I guess Schafer is draft eligible next year.

EDIT: Been liking what I’ve seen from Plante tonight.

lol, I don’t even know what to say to that.

I want to see a Tom Gazzola vs. Dan Tencer celebrity deathmatch.

lol nice Bunz Grone

Come on Racki, where is it?

zackman35: Come on Racki, where is it?

Where is what? Sorry.. I missed something there.

Racki:
    Where is what? Sorry.. I missed something there.Btw, funny you should say that about Plante. I was about to mention that I think he might be one of our more underrated D prospects, actually. He once was pretty touted, then he had that big injury, then he asked for a trade from the Hitmen, if not mistaken (although I assume that never happened). But he seemed to turn out OK. I liked what I saw from him at the NHL level, briefly too.

Yeah, well he should be since he’s a first rounder and all. :razz:

And the Ker-Schlumpf! Or the “Arm-strong it out”, Gene is rubbing on on Lou.

Ra-ra Karpungie’ sp*.

I think Gene and Lou already broke out enough Schlumpf jokes.. I didn’t need to Schlumpf another one on.

The Bunz are seeing a lot of action tonight..

Plante ices the game.. niccceeeee

Excellent way to end a good game played by #48.

Racki: The Bunz are seeing a lot of rubber tonight..

He must be on fire! Nothing’s going in. And Plante with the nice play.

Well folks, thanks for stoppin’ by. Time for me to sign off!

Good game tonight.

Good game. Quite the flurry of activity until the Flames got that tripping penalty – they waived that icing off b/c Bunz went to play the puck – would have been a shame if the Flames had scored there to tie it.

Nice to see the BOA prospect style! Night all.

19. John says:

Well Racki I’m still pulling a couple crow feathers out of my mouth but I’ll be damned if we don’t have more than just the Trinity to be hopeful for lol. I’m really suprised at how entertaining that game was, better than the first one I’d say :) 2 and 0, going for the sweep!!!!

Very entertaining indeed.

hagn all.

Wicked game, liked what I saw from a few of the guys out there. Hopefully we see a little more of them before the big names start making their marks.

22. NorwegianOiler says:

Entertaining game for sure, despite the lack of our top end guys. Noticed Hartikainen’s strength quite easily again. His stride, however, looks short and a bit choppy at times. Still, his determined backcheck on the Flames’ three on one, in which he shut down the passing lane for two forwards driving to the net (forcing the Flames puck carrier to shoot from a so-and-so angle) was great.

Got to see Marincin’s in-game inconsistency too, given that he can look quite weak on his skates against agile forwards (especially down low), but make a smart play with the body the next minute. His pass selection is also a bit iffy to me, some of his attempts were of the Bergeron-risk level.

Martindale had a better game, so did Vande Velde – though neither dominated in my eyes. Pitlick had another strong game. Plante was the rock on the blueline, while Bendfeld was the weakest link.

All in all, I don’t think there was much between the two teams though, the Flames were in control for extended periods of time. Their power play looked good, and they made us run around a bit at times with their passing/board plays. Good win, looking forward to tonight’s game! OOOOOOOOOIL!

Good synopsis N.O. … that echoes my thoughts too. From what I’ve heard, Hartikainen’s knock IS in fact his skating, and unfortunately it does show a bit. It showed a bit for a few players tonight, actually. But I am excited about seeing Hartikainen more aand more though. Looks good so far.. aggressive!

Also, Bendfeld I don’t expect much of.. we definitely drafted him for his toughness. Although he isn’t going to play up here unless he becomes more reliable.

We’ve got some big guys in the system, but as always they have big question marks too. D’oh.

Yeah, that Livingston kid should get a mention too, he looked pretty good out there at times, and in my eyes his second penalty was a bogus one, so can’t really hold that against him either. If he keeps it up, I really hope he gets a contract on OKC.

As far as Marancin goes, he looks fantastic considering. Principe says he’s one of the skinniest players he’s ever seen, and at 6’4/184 lbs , I can see why. Coming off playing in a rather poor program/developmental system, and not being too strong, it’s pretty easy to get our hopes up about him once he bulks up a bit and gets some major jr. hockey under his belt.

I have a feeling that Riley Nash trade is going to look really good in a few years.

I also liked Livingston, although he stood out in only 2 shifts. (edit: I see you were sneaky and fixed the name :P)

shhhhhhh. lol