By , September 14, 2010 8:57 am
Tyler Pitlick - who cares about the top 3 Oil prospects? :P

Tyler Pitlick - who cares about the top 3 Oil prospects? :P

Been a while since we’ve had one of these, and what better way to kick it off than with a Young Stars game. This is something we haven’t paid nearly enough attention to here, in part to me being away for the weekend. But we’ll do them for game 2 onward.

Tonight the Oilers rookies play home to the Flames rookies in Penticton, B.C.. The game starts at 8:30 PM MST and will be televised on SportsnetOne (just kidding – don’t flip out on your providers for not having SportsnetOne just yet). Seriously, it will be webcast, like the last one.

The last game was a 4-1 win for the Oilers vs. the Canucks rookies. Magnus Paajarvi (insert fancy dots above some vowels) led the Oilers in scoring with 2 goals including one powerplay goal where he danced all around the ice, picked up the puck in the high slot and beat the Canucks netminder. Eberle had one goal, assisted by Hall. Tyler Pitlick scored the 4th goal, into an empty net. Olivier Roy made 28 saves in a very nice display of goaltending, but the goal he allowed was reportedly a softer goal by Kevin Connauton (however he absolutely robbed one of the Canucks rookies in the dying seconds of the 1st).

The line to watch for the Flames tonight is one of Jon Rheault, Mikael Backlund and Lance Bouma. The slick Swede Backstrom has played 24 games for the Flames already and has 1 goal and 9 assists for the NHL Flames. In the Young Stars tourney, he recorded a goal and an assist vs. the Ducks (8-4 win for Calgary). Rheault led the Flames rookies with a hat-trick and an assist, and Bouma went scoreless.

For the Oilers, the usual suspects will be interesting to watch, but also keep an eye on Teemu Hartikainen. He was kept off the score sheet on Sunday, however, he absolutely wall papered a Canuck and then drew a penalty on the play on one of his shifts, and reportedly looked good through out. Pitlick is also a guy that several were talking about after the game. Of course, you could also watch Paajarvi, Hall and Eberle too, but who wants to see those guys??

Here are the tentative lines, per oilers.nhl.com:

Taylor Hall (84) – Milan Kytnar (64) – Jordan Eberle (78)
Magnus Paajarvi (82) – Tyler Pitlick (68) – Philippe Cornet (51)
Curtis Hamilton (52) – Chris Vande Velde (54) – Kristians Pelss (63)
Teemu Hartikainen (56) – Ryan Martindale (66) – Cameron Abney (53)
Drew Czerwonka (71) – Chase Schaber (74) – James Livingston (69)

Martin Marincin (70) – Jeff Petry* (58)
Brandon Davidson (60) – Alex Plante (48)
Johan Motin (39) – Jeremie Blain (61)
Dallas Erhardt** (75) – Dominik Schlumpf (72)

Tyler Bunz (1)
Bryan Pitton (50)
Olivier Roy (30)

* Left Saturday’s practice injured but it’s not believed to be serious.
** Suffered a knee injury during Sunday’s practice, but the severity is unknown at this time.

UPDATED: The big three are scratched tonight. Tyler Bunz will also start in goal. I’m interested to see what he’s capable of, so I’m happy about him in net. Too bad we won’t see the big trio vs. Calgary, but that’s OK.. let’s see some more of our future tonight. There are other players on this team, believe it or not!

TEAM COMPARISON

STATS
1 GP 1
1 W 1
0 L 0
0 OT 0
1.000 W% 1.000
8.00 G/G 4.00
4.00 GA/G 1.00
4-7 / 57.1% PP 0-5 / 0%
1-3 / 33.3% PK 3-3 / 100%
41.0 S/G 21.0
22.0 SA/G 28.0

127 Responses to “Young Stars GDT – Edmonton Oilers 5, Calgary Flames 3 – Game 2 – Sep. 14, 2010 @ 8:30 – Webcast”

Haha, so many people lay the hate on Gene but I don’t mind him. Sometimes it can be a little much but my goodness I don’t know how Calgary fans do it with that guy.

Yep Plante scored on the PP.

And I love Gene! He had an awesome twitter zinger last night: “Tambellini says Souray’s agent was told last week his client wasn’t welcome..he’s sticking to that plan..and he has nothing up his steve…”

I like Gene too.

Man the periods fly by.

Yeah, my girlfriend gets a kick outa Gene too! On the opposite end of the scale I think it goes like this…

Pierre McGuire
    ALL The guys on the Sportsnet Hockey Panel
    Calgary Announcer

Good game so far? Took me the entire 1st period to get my wireless working. Got the TV thing down, but nothing works without the wireless…

6. NorwegianOiler says:

(The Sabres announcer anyone…for a full on dread-factor of homerism and horrible voice)

A more fluid period from the Oilers compared to the Canucks-game, seems like they connect a bit better now. Harti-kai-nen is doing well I think, hard to move off the puck down low.

All in all not a bad period.

Not too bad, the biggest stand out for me (in 2 shifts) was Livingston. But aside from that, it was a little bit of a snoozer of a period.

LNOF:

Yeah, pretty good game so far, pretty even play, I think the Oilers have out chanced the Flames a bit and Irving has made some good saves for them. Bunz looks ok too, he looked a little shaky at first bobbling the puck and kind of wander-ey, but seemed to settle down pretty quick.

My house comes to a standstill if my wireless drops too, how the hell did we live without it? lol

prepare to throw up.

via twitter:

“Mark Spector Sports
    The Flames and Stamps have a 12-0 run going vs. the Oilers and Esks. Last Edmonton win: Aug. 13, 2009 – Esks beat Stamps 38-35.”

yuck.

Yeah, not bad for not having the “Big 3″. High paced game LNOF and Plante had a pretty nice goal too.

On another note, here’s a little teaser, Racki feel free to remove this if you want.

Iphone Wallpaper

I should hopefully finish the touch-ups to the new layout by this weekend and maybe get an actual wallpaper done as well and yes, there will be a blackberry one too.

gr8one: prepare to throw up.via twitter:“Mark Spector Sports
    The Flamers and Stamps have a 12-0 run going vs. the Oilers and Esks. Last Edmonton win: Aug. 13, 2009 – Esks beat Stamps 38-35.”yuck.

I read an article somewhere about the rivalry, it’s sickening the last time we were successful against Calgary!

Thanks for the updates!

Yeah gr8one, I had to unplug my modem & router twice, restarted my laptop at least 3 times. Weird, but that’s what we have to do sometimes to get it to kick in.

welcome to my world Zackman. lol

Livingston is really looking good, awesome PK forecheck there.

gr8one: welcome to my world Zackman. lol

Haha it sucks and I remember making fun of Nemis during world juniors. Loving that “Jam”, “Lightning in the Bottle”, “Craig Mctavish Quote”, from Livingston so far.

zackman35: Hey Racki, I’m having a lot of trouble posting, my last two posts were marked as spam I think. The first post wouldn’t let me post it and then the second was marked as spam and deleted.

It was because you posted about Iphone Wallpaper with a link in it :P The spam filter isn’t smart enough unfortunately to separate you from the 3Million dipshits out there that spam that stuff. I’ve marked one of your posts as not spam though and deleted the others. :)

it’s a Bunz-en burner of a game!

and then the Flames score again. :/

Boooo.. flames score again

Woops, maybe I shouldn’t have tuned in. They were doing better when I wasn’t watching.

OHHHH MYYY what a goal..

nice.

Wow, what a pass to set up that goal!

Nice behind the back pass by Martindale and good finish by whatshisnuts..

LateNightOilFan: Woops, maybe I shouldn’t have tuned in.They were doing better when I wasn’t watching.

nope, just took a minute for them to warm up to your charm!

I <3rtikainen.

VV buries it into the yawning cage!

That looked like a set play.

gr8one: I <3rtikainen.

lol

There is only one Gene allowed.

Taylor/Eberle/Paajarvi who? lol

Racki:
    lolThere is only one Gene allowed.

No, I need Zackman’s gf to love me too.

j/k Zackman :-P

You know if you replace r8o with e in your name, you get gene!

Fucking amazing!

Also if you drop the 8, you get Grone..

Groan Principe!

wooooooooooooooooooooooot!!

was just gonna say Pitlick has been quiet! Yup, we got both Taylor and Tyler.:D

Pitlick with the goallll! (delayed reaction as I watch Abney fight)

Abney with the TKO!!!

Oh man another fight… Grantham vs. Bendfeld.

BoA … OFFICIALLY ON!!

lol Racki.

Eff the NHL team, I want to watch these guys all year!

37. Trogdor says:

Scraps, goals, sign these boys up for the big club.

“Rebound banks bunz!”

What an expression.

gr8one: I <3rtikainen.

gr8one:
    No, I need Zackman’s gf to love me too.
    j/k Zackman

Haha, both those comments made me laugh. And WTF is with this feed, the first period was great now its doing what is was doing the other night – cutting out every three seconds.

I hate to jinx myself, but it’s running smooth as silk all night for me. Cut out twice, very briefly, but other than that, it’s been perfect.

41. Haboiler says:

Yeah my feed is way better than the other nite…

Racki: “Rebound banks bunz!”What an expression.It’s no Rod Phillips with “Finger bangs it around the boards” or anything, but still sounds funny.

Haha Racki, that line should be R.Philips epitaph.

heh Zack :)

my feed is still working niftily.

My feed is good so far. Good period, except for the buzzer beater at the end.

LNOF, did ya get the email invite for the pool?

Racki: Pitlick with the goallll! (delayed reaction as I watch Abney fight)Incidentally I hope Schlumpf sees NHL time just cause his last name sounds hilarious.
    Abney with the TKO!!!

Is this guy Dan Tencer’s younger brother?

zackman35:
    I use to know a kid named Schlemp but I think Pitlick’s name is just a little > than Schlumpf. I’m thinking my feed has to due with my older version of wireless. =pOh yeah and Gr8one, is it possible to edit your team’s logo throughout the season? I want to get my team all sorted out and stuff but I want to make a sick logo (which hopefully I can just add/edit in a few weeks).

If you mean your avatar in Yahoo, for sure you can.

Zack:

Yeah, you can edit your logo whenever you want. What’s your team name btw, are you O’dangle?

and great point about Pitlicks’s name, I concur. Lol, oddly, i never saw his name in that light until you mentioned it. nice!

/edit

now that Racki mentions it, in yahoo you actually have a yahoo avatar as well as a team logo thing, but are customizable whenever you want.

Racki: Is this guy Dan Tencer’s younger brother?

Not sure but I really miss Jen Sharp. That Steve guy wasn’t so bad either and <3 Leriger <3… I'm guessing he's just gonna cover the rookie tourny.

Ah thanks guys, sounds good. And no I haven’t fully signed up yet but I was going to be the Rampage.

In Eberle’s interview “Hallsy”. Man what’s with all the play on names tonight?

zackman35:
    Not sure but I really miss Jen Sharp. That Steve guy wasn’t so bad either and <3 Leriger <3… I’m guessing he’s just gonna cover the rookie tourny.

Is Jen Sharp gone now? Maybe she got tired of Dan Tencer’s advances. lol kidding.