By , September 14, 2010 8:57 am
Tyler Pitlick - who cares about the top 3 Oil prospects? :P

Tyler Pitlick - who cares about the top 3 Oil prospects? :P

Been a while since we’ve had one of these, and what better way to kick it off than with a Young Stars game. This is something we haven’t paid nearly enough attention to here, in part to me being away for the weekend. But we’ll do them for game 2 onward.

Tonight the Oilers rookies play home to the Flames rookies in Penticton, B.C.. The game starts at 8:30 PM MST and will be televised on SportsnetOne (just kidding – don’t flip out on your providers for not having SportsnetOne just yet). Seriously, it will be webcast, like the last one.

The last game was a 4-1 win for the Oilers vs. the Canucks rookies. Magnus Paajarvi (insert fancy dots above some vowels) led the Oilers in scoring with 2 goals including one powerplay goal where he danced all around the ice, picked up the puck in the high slot and beat the Canucks netminder. Eberle had one goal, assisted by Hall. Tyler Pitlick scored the 4th goal, into an empty net. Olivier Roy made 28 saves in a very nice display of goaltending, but the goal he allowed was reportedly a softer goal by Kevin Connauton (however he absolutely robbed one of the Canucks rookies in the dying seconds of the 1st).

The line to watch for the Flames tonight is one of Jon Rheault, Mikael Backlund and Lance Bouma. The slick Swede Backstrom has played 24 games for the Flames already and has 1 goal and 9 assists for the NHL Flames. In the Young Stars tourney, he recorded a goal and an assist vs. the Ducks (8-4 win for Calgary). Rheault led the Flames rookies with a hat-trick and an assist, and Bouma went scoreless.

For the Oilers, the usual suspects will be interesting to watch, but also keep an eye on Teemu Hartikainen. He was kept off the score sheet on Sunday, however, he absolutely wall papered a Canuck and then drew a penalty on the play on one of his shifts, and reportedly looked good through out. Pitlick is also a guy that several were talking about after the game. Of course, you could also watch Paajarvi, Hall and Eberle too, but who wants to see those guys??

Here are the tentative lines, per oilers.nhl.com:

Taylor Hall (84) – Milan Kytnar (64) – Jordan Eberle (78)
Magnus Paajarvi (82) – Tyler Pitlick (68) – Philippe Cornet (51)
Curtis Hamilton (52) – Chris Vande Velde (54) – Kristians Pelss (63)
Teemu Hartikainen (56) – Ryan Martindale (66) – Cameron Abney (53)
Drew Czerwonka (71) – Chase Schaber (74) – James Livingston (69)

Martin Marincin (70) – Jeff Petry* (58)
Brandon Davidson (60) – Alex Plante (48)
Johan Motin (39) – Jeremie Blain (61)
Dallas Erhardt** (75) – Dominik Schlumpf (72)

Tyler Bunz (1)
Bryan Pitton (50)
Olivier Roy (30)

* Left Saturday’s practice injured but it’s not believed to be serious.
** Suffered a knee injury during Sunday’s practice, but the severity is unknown at this time.

UPDATED: The big three are scratched tonight. Tyler Bunz will also start in goal. I’m interested to see what he’s capable of, so I’m happy about him in net. Too bad we won’t see the big trio vs. Calgary, but that’s OK.. let’s see some more of our future tonight. There are other players on this team, believe it or not!

TEAM COMPARISON

STATS
1 GP 1
1 W 1
0 L 0
0 OT 0
1.000 W% 1.000
8.00 G/G 4.00
4.00 GA/G 1.00
4-7 / 57.1% PP 0-5 / 0%
1-3 / 33.3% PK 3-3 / 100%
41.0 S/G 21.0
22.0 SA/G 28.0

127 Responses to “Young Stars GDT – Edmonton Oilers 5, Calgary Flames 3 – Game 2 – Sep. 14, 2010 @ 8:30 – Webcast”

Who’ll be watching this tonight (or attempting to)?

11:30 my time – I’ll be watching. I should be wide awake by then!

LNOF:

lol, yeah…that makes two of us. Gotta love being an East coaster. That West coast Monday night football game kept me up until 2am last night!

I see two more Hurricanes coming round the bend again!! geez, busy season this year, at least these ones look to be tracking well off the coast.

4. Puritania says:

I’ll be watching my ass off tonight lol.

I hope Vande Velde has a more dominating game than he did against the Canucks, I was really expecting more out of him. He was rather invisible when he should have been laying the body and trying to dictate the play whenever he was on the ice.

5. NorwegianOiler says:

I’m watching it, too fun not to!

Here’s an “ä” for Pääjärvi. As you can see, it’s a sleeping colon over all the a(ss). Should be easy to remember now with your filthy minds.

Looking particularly for Petry in this one, having not played in game one. Greasy OIL HOCKEY!

I can remember that all the a’s have the fancy dots, I just can’t remember the ascii code to type an a with dots on it. lol

lol, besides, he’s in North America now, he can conform to our alphabet. :p

ascii 132

test – ä

Steve-O: ascii 132test – ä

Thänks.

gr8one: lol, besides, he’s in North America now, he can conform to our alphabet. :p

haha, I like this answer best.

10. Haboiler says:

Hey all…. looks like the Big 3 plus Kytnar will NOT be in the lineup tonite. I would have rather them play against the Flames and not in one of the other games…. must be saving them for the big camp.

Hey Haboiler.. heard about that on tha Twitter too. That sucks. But maybe they’re just preventing them from playing ina potentially ugly game vs. the Flames… preventing possible injury since it could get rough. Just a thought.

Bunz gets the start tonight.

Maybe they’re also trying to find a way for the other players to step up and show their value. Kind of hard to stand out above MPS, Hall and Eberle. Although granted, that would say a lot if you did.

There’s that, plus this camp is to evaluate what we have so letting them sit will give management opportunity to see some other players in more prominent roles.

I actually kind of look forward to seeing Pitlick/Martindale/VV/Cornet being able to showcase what they have and maybe take on a more offensive role than they otherwise might with the other guys in the lineup.

Yeah, why risk any possible injuries against the flamers, who will likely have lots of hard hitting grinders in the lineup.

@ Puritania; Yeah, I too am hoping Vande Velde steps it up this year. I’m hoping he’ll be our shut down centreman a few years from now. Then again, I also thought Slava Trukhno was going to be a really “can’t miss” NHLer…. :P

14. John says:

Bummer big time, I was really looking forward to this game all morning but now not so much. Especially seeing that Calgary will be icing their top line including that Reault scoring machine, as well as their big Dmen, some of which already have hard NHL minutes under their belts. I think we are gonna get hammered tonight :(

Well I’ll still try and watch it… really, our team should be all about 3 players, as good as they are. There is more to the Oilers future than just those guys, so let’s see what else there is ;) I would hope that we are deeper than just them.

I really wish Rajala was at this camp.

Umm, all the big 3 and Kyntar ARE playing:

Nevermind, Oilers website was wrong, all are sitting out.

19. John says:

Racki: Well I’ll still try and watch it… really, our team should be all about 3 players, as good as they are. There is more to the Oilers future than just those guys, so let’s see what else there is I would hope that we are deeper than just them.

I hope you’re right but unforunately I have my doubts. Oh well, I guess we’ll see how the D & this Bunz kid can handle getting shelled!

gr8one: I really wish Rajala was at this camp.

Yah I was thinking the same thing.

Actually it would be nice to see each of Lander, Omark and Rajala at some point during the pre-season, but I think we’ll see none of them.

By pre-season, do you mean this rookie tournament specifically, or the whole pre-season including main TC??

I only ask because I thought Omark was going to be at main camp for sure, did something change that I hadn’t heard?

Yes, that’s what I meant… the main camp… pre-season games. I thought Omark wasn’t going to be here for it, but I definitely could be wrong on that. I know he’ll be in the KHL again this year, so maybe that was just my own assumption :P But I thought I heard he wouldn’t be here. Maybe someone else knows for sure..

I had heard that he was going to be in camp, and if not on the Oilers than in OKC.

gr8one: yeah, I’m 99% sure that Omark will be at main camp, and I’m also pretty sure that I’ve read in a couple of locations that he has stated that he will play in OKC if that’s what the team wants.Here is a Gregor article from a couple of months back that talks about him being in camp.http://oilersnation.com/2010/6/8/expectations-of-omark/scoreI didn’t look that hard, but I have read numerous articles at various places about him being at camp and possibly playing for OKC.From what I understand too, the only reason he isn’t at this rookie camp is because of him being older and already having so much pro experience in Europe.

Oh you are right.. I think I’m confusing him with Lander who is going back to Sweden.

And yes, you are right about him at Rookie Camp and his age.. that part I heard from Gregor or one of the MSM guys

26. Trogdor says:

Steve-O, where’s the mspaint art for the GDT? Not that you need the young stars and training camp practice with your mad skillz.

27. MetalOil says:

Big 3 Scratched :( oh well. I will still watch !!! Great opportunity to pay close attention to our “other” prospects !!! I am going to devote my eye to Bunz in net and to Hartikainen. At least that is my plan going in, if someone else catches my eye then that is great too !!!

28. Mr.Majestyk says:

Tencer was actually kind of funny tonight relating the story of how Martin Marancin doesn’t speak english and Steve Smith was trying to communicate with him and when he came back to the bench he said “what do you think of the pace out there?” to which Marancin turned around and said ‘My name Martin’. Haha.

whoomp, it’s on!

C’mon Pitlick!

Damn when they say 8:30, they mean 8:30… well.. maybe 8:31 or 32.. lol. But not like 10 minutes later like the NHL

Little heads up for you guys. So when I was at the Rebels game in April I met Kevin Lowe, at that time we had a little conversation about a few things, including the draft.

He was telling me, which I’m sure is safe to say now because the draft is over, about Curtis Hamilton and how they ‘liked the kid’ or something among those lines. I can’t remember the exact details but I think he mentioned something about his size and offensive ability.

After I met with him there was still another period to watch were I put less focus on Petrovic, which I asked Lowe about too, and focused on Hamilton. He used his size pretty good and he did have a strong drive.

Chase Schaber is an interesting invite. Lowetide mentioned on Oilersnation that his draft year could possibly be next year but I’m pretty sure it was this year and he went un-drafted.

Anyways, I know his grandpa quite well and heard a lot about him. A lot of it is bias, but from when I’ve watch him play (for the Hitmen against the Rebels) he’s a real chippy player with some offensive upside. I’ve seen him throw a few big hits, he doesn’t look like the biggest kid but he’s listed on the WHL website as 6′ 195lbs which he could have easily grown over the summer.

He’s had some injury problems with his hip/knee, I think it was, which put him out for quite some time when he was younger. If he has/can fully recover from his previous injury and we could sign him he could be a steal. I’ll be keeping a close eye on him tonight for sure!

Here’s a little preview of one of his fights,

I strongly urge you to watch!

Nice shift by Livingston, although bad penalty on his part. Trying to make a name for himself.

[rant] I friggin’ hate those jerseys.

Did they set out to make the worst possible design?

So much potential with our Jerseys and they’re ugly!! [/end rant]

Wow, thanks announcers, for helping to clarify how to pronounce Hartikainen. lol

Gene: “Hartika-naynen” .. I don’t think there’s that many n’s in his name, Gene.

woot, that Livingston pass helps make amends for that 2nd bogus penalty!

OH man… what a nice play by Livingston there.

Get your Bunz in the net!

fuck you’re slow. :p

and yeah, how many double entendre name jokes do ya think he’s heard in his young life? lol

gr8one: [rant]I friggin’ hate those jerseys.Did they set out to make the worst possible design?
    I know it’s been said a thousand times, but who puts a half armband stripe on arms? just dumb.So much potential with our Jerseys and they’re ugly!! [/end rant]

Tell me about it, man I think we should just go back to full on vintage colours.

gr8one: No I just didn’t have my windows arranged well enough.. didn’t want to tab out to type here :P

Hartikainen doesn’t play like a Finn.. 2nd big hit of the tourney.

edit: oop.. make that an unclean hit. :P

Hartikainananananananananan looks great out there.

I guess you arranged your windows better now…

Tikkanen was a Finn, and he hit like a train!

True on Tik (although there are exceptions to every rule.. Tuomo Ruutu is another good example). And yes, I’ve arranged the windows better :P All set!

Plantttteee SKKkeewwwwers!

goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal!

Plante plants one!

gr8one: goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal!
    Plante plants one!

Easy there Gene and man I can’t stand the Calgary announcer.

You can’t stand Peter Lou???? Whaaa? How is this possible? (/sarcasm)

heh

Plantes goal was a PP goal right?