Tom Renney on Linus Omark at TC Day 2

By , September 18, 2010 7:40 pm
The one guy not penciled into enough line-up predictions..

The one guy not penciled into enough line-up predictions..

“I’m not sure he shoots the puck, but he dekes the hell out of it. He has great hands and is very, very quick and has some explosiveness to his game. First time I’ve seen him live, and he is going to make it very interesting, and I like his battle level. He is a case in point to the interpretation of what I’m giving the players might be lost a little bit in translation, because he was the first forechecker on just about every drill and that wasn’t necessarily his need, but we like him.”

Very pleasing to hear… hopefully he gets an extended look. Bear in mind, today Omark was put with Jones and Fraser to test his ability to cycle. Sounds like he past at least the initial test.

80 Responses to “Tom Renney on Linus Omark at TC Day 2”

1. mrgod2u says:

NorwegianOiler: Buffalo Sabres, Drury and Briere seemed to make them quite competitive despite their size. Although that’s just one example to the contrary…There’s no immediate need to do anything else than keep acquiring draft picks, developing youngsters and ‘assessing’ what we have. If the Sharks have waited this long to disassemble their failing playoff team, why should we begin to disassemble before even constructing anything at all

Wait… So We’re not throwing ANYBODY under the bus?!?
    Inconceivable! To think you call yourself an Oilers fan… ;)

2. Dean says:

3. oilinblood says:

Racki: Again, I agree with what you’re saying here OIB, and echoes my sentiments quite a bit. Although while I really do like Cogliano, I like Gagner more. I think his hockey sense is higher than the average player, his body/ability just hasn’t quite caught up. But I think it will within the next 2 years. I think we see big things from him starting this year, even. You’re right that Cogliano got unfairly pushed out though.. much agreed there. I also would trade Hemsky before I’d trade Gagner, although I would only do it under the circumstances you mention too. You baffled me a bit with the statement that you wouldn’t trade Gagner, and wouldn’t trade Hemsky (except under certain circumstances) and then later though you say that you’d “discard both and get that center we need”.But really, bottom line is, yes, it’s silly to just toss away our top prospects like that. Build from within. These guys have a lot of potential, and we will see the dividends of being patient.

For what you are baffled with– I think maybe my train of thought wasnt clear enough. I personally would choose to trade Hemsky and Gagner, BUT considering the vision Tambi has it isnt proper to. Tambi is going with Ales and Gags, making COgs the out guy. I think my point was that you stay with the vision; you make a plan and you execute-see it thru. Players will stand behind direction and vision and they can trust in the professionalism of it. It would just make us look like clowns to start throwing other people under the wheels.
    I said it for a while, one of Cogs or Gags would be gone. This is because of internal promotions. Its as simple as 6 top forwards and 6 bottom forwards. Its a basic math problem. Tambi chose Gags.
    So although i would keep COgs and trade Gags and Hemsky to get the assets i need Tambi is choosing a different route which is to jettison COgs and test Gags out with proven offensive wingers. That is his vision and thats what will be executed.
    If Gags can show something he hasnt and achieve there than it works, if he falls on his face…THEN we can look at dealing him out.

The issue is the vision. My vision is different than what Tambi has put into play. Tambis vision is one of COgs on the outs. This is fine but its about time Oilers fans realize you dont ditch 20 players and bring in players who have never played with the core, never been in the system, never been in edmonton, … alot of nevers. Better to stick with what you know.
    Afterall we are in a rebuild. We arent taking the cup anytime soon and our centre answer maybe from within.

Heck, we still have 60 guys at camp! Let’s enjoy and see what happens.

5. oilinblood says:

Dean: I see what your saying I actually agree with you on everything,I think gagner deserves a chance but if there is no noticeable improvement this year something has to be done with him before he is not worth anything to us.we will definately have a good idea by the end of the season what direction the teams needs to go to address any holes in the team and become a contender.With the Cap system and the fact edmonton is a somewhat undesireable place to play for alot of nhlers I think there will always be a lot of movement in edmonton.that is actually one reason why we might want to keep gags he seems like a down to earth guy who doesn’t need the big city lifestyle.

If Gags falls on his face, while playing with proven wingers like Hemmer and Penner, than at the end of the year you make a vision decision of either moving him to the RW (where both i and Quinn thought he played best last year) or trade him. I think by then his marketability will be gone as a centre… other GMs do pay attention. But this is the path we are taking, get on board and embrace it. :) Its better to give the pieces you know the opportunity to fit than go out and risk. Pitlick might be the guy in a year or two (works well with the 3 year plan to contend). We also have Lander and Vande Velde, the latter of the two i havent heard anything about from camp. LAnder will be an excellent Centre and I think its highway robbery for our first two picks in 09 draft.

6. oilinblood says:

chucker: Maybe it’s just me, but I’d rather just not trade anyone who isn’t named Souray for now and see how they all perform.There’s going to be lots of new chemistry and there is a new culture here now. Some players being deemed potentially expendible will likely prove their mettle this year.Heck, we still have 60 guys at camp! Let’s enjoy and see what happens.

7. oilinblood says:

On a different topic – PLayer Development – Here is a reason you keep 60 players. (Now 40).
    I have always wondered why just one person is in charge of player development. If anything, I believe you need maybe 2 for forwards with one focussing on high level talent and one on role players, than you need a dman talent developer and a goaltending assessor.
    What bringing 60 guys to camp was was let everyone assess the talent. You have a guy like BUchy and Steve SMith and the AHL coaches and Tambi and Lowe and Renney and then a field full of other specialists. Its much easier to get an accurate read when you have a few guys to give expert opinion on any position and assess development and possibly ceiling.

oilinblood: Chucker I dont think its entirely in our hands to do that. I think Cogs signed for 1M for one reason. I believe i dont even have to say it. He sees it in the numbers and i do too. I think it was Tencer who COgs said specifically something of the nature of “I am not a role player”. So he believes hes a top 6. Will he be one here? No, not with this depth. Did we shop him all summer? Probably. Does he look attractive if he can achieve in a showcase period at pivot and a team hits an injury and he has a cap hit of 1M for 1 year? YES>FOr me the one major issue of COgs is he hasnt caught on to the fact that he is likely no more than a role player. I love Cogs, but if he cant grasp that hes likely at cieling a Marchant…than he is wasting years of refining that role. It baffles me. Pitlick and other prospects are making him invisible and he still doesnt understand he is NOT a top 6 centre in the NHL. NOT NOT NOT.

I can see what you’re saying, but if the third line ends up being Cogs Brule MPS, then even though it’s the third line and they want him to work on his faceoff skills and penalty killing, he’ll be putting up decent numbers anyway.

There is no room for him on the PP for the most part, but he’ll be first unit PK and getting lots of ice time if he proves he can play a third line role. I don’t see his numbers decreasing as a result that the Oilers want him to be a more complete player.

I agree on the Marchant thing. That was the comparison when he got drafted. That’s what he should be shooting for, if he had embraced that last year and been one more step along, we likely wouldn’t be talking about trading him as much if he was effective.

The one year deal is good for all. It’s a cheap tradeable contract, it allows both sides of the negotiations a year to see if he is the player each side says he is and that’s good.

I agree his name has been thrown around a lot and I have suggested him being traded too at times. Ultimately there may be no room for another small player, so perhaps numbers are not on his side.

I’ll take the wait and see attitude from here on out on player movement.

OIB: He did say in an interview after signing that he now sees himself as that Marchant 2.0 (not his exact words, but that was the sentiment). So he’s accepted a role as a checking line player with offensive upside… at least, he’s saying he has.

10. oilinblood says:

I have always felt that he should be a Marchant. He doesnt have the efficiency on chances to be more than that. So if he has had a change of heart and said that… than i wonder why the one year? A todd Marchant in the cap era wouldnt be looking for much more than 1.5 when he is still finding his game.
    Its still hard for me to believe he accepted less than the oilers were offering to show he is a MArchant. From what i had heard the Oilers were offering around 1.3. Then he signed for less on a 1 year?
    I still think he did it to be dealt. I had kept hearing his camp had been asking for 2-2.25.

Maybe he still has visions of being a top six forward, but he did say he was accepting a checking role here. I’ll see if I can locate the quote

Here we go:

“It’s been a process over a few years, but I’ve now figured out what kind of player I want to be — that’s a two-way hockey player, strong two-ways, could score, could do offensive things, and then also play hard in the defensive side of the puck, and I think that’s what we’re really going to need. Guys like Horc (are) going to need help in those situations, and I want to be a player who can do all of them.

Quote dug up on Mr Staples’ site.

13. oilinblood says:

nice. strangely enough i was watching the new rules video by the NHL on the oilers site and near the end theres a clip of someone named Thompson hitting Horcs as he, tiredly, goes back to the bench… Cogs hits the guy back while on the bench. It was part of the rules of engagement section at the end. Cogs didnt really hit him but it was clear there are a few guys who wont allow players to take liberties on Horcs.
    Last year i saw Horcs take a cross check and noticed Penner got pretty mad. Same scenario, horcs looked exhausted and had just finished a long shift which included wrapping up a successful pk.
    If Cogs is staying and has sincerely bought in to being a 3rd line guy… I say that is a big victory. He will be very good at it. The one year seems odd now though and for less than the oilers were offering.
    ALSO.. him specifically talking about Horcs and how he needs help makes me like Cogs even more.

14. John says:

Good news coming from Cogs indeed! Are we then to believe that he truly does want to stay an Oiler? He strikes me as being kind of an arrogant kid (I think I read something about his attitude once) & I would think that if he wanted out he wouldn’t be talking about towing the team line. Suprises me a little but happy to hear it.

OIB: Where did you hear the Oilers were offering him more than $1M? That really doesn’t make sense. And from what I understand, the Oilers were the ones that wanted the 1-year deal, not Cogliano. I think it was one of the 1260 guys (Brownlee or Gregor) that mentioned that, and Tambellini mentioned that they weren’t in agreement on term.

So it makes me think that the Oil offering him more cash wasn’t true.

Racki: Where did you hear the Oilers were offering him more than $1M? That really doesn’t make sense. And from what I understand, the Oilers were the ones that wanted the 1-year deal, not Cogliano. I think it was one of the 1260 guys (Brownlee or Gregor) that mentioned that, and Tambellini mentioned that they weren’t in agreement on term.

yeah, that’s kosher with pretty much everything I’ve heard re: Cogs contract talks.

and John, as far as Cogs adapting his attitude toward being a two way player, I think I’d chalk it up to two things, one being just the natural maturation/growing up process of a young athlete, and certainly a little bit of what you say, but I don’t necessarily think it’s specifically about towing the Oilers line, but the realization that for his size/skill set it’s probably in his best interest to adapt that style to have a long, successful NHL career period, whether it’s with the Oilers or not.

The more I see/read about Renney, the more I really like him as our coach for this year. One of my favorite things about him is his communication ability. It’s one thing to tell a young, cocky hockey player that he needs to change his game, and it’s another to sit him down and explain the merits of it and what he needs to do to accomplish that, and say it in a way that really sells it and makes it seem appealing. I think Renney has that ability.

Yah that’s one thing I like about Renney too.. a little more clarity in direction. Communication is half the battle.. (of course “knowing” is the other half :P)

18. Mr.Majestyk says:

G.I Joe!!

20. John says:

Bostonoiler: GREAT to hear that Cogs has decided that he wants to be part of the rebuild as a 3rd liun forward. Thats great news, because he could really be good in that role. Him and Horcoff might not be bad on a line.

John: Maybe it’s just my own excitement for this season & for the future of the team clouding my vision but I REALLY get the feeling that everyone involved with the team, especially the players, feel it too! This is just the first very important step this franchise needs to take to once again achieve respect around the league & attract big name free agents eventually.

I agree man, with Cogs now wanting the two-way forward role I think I can write up my linneup!

Paajarvi/Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
    Penner/Paajarvi-Hall-Ebelre
    Brule-Horcoff-Cogliano
    Jones-Fraser-Stortini
    MacIntyre/ JFJ when healthy, if not then Reddox.

I think thats a fair lineup.

Also on a side note from everythnig I hear Khabi is the #1 goalie (no surprise) but it seems like the guys are confident in him. I think hes gonna have a big bounce back year.

Sorry OIB; I had read that article on COH a while back and that’s why I was so comfortable with my comments on Cogs. I should have brought it up earlier, so I appologize for not bringing it in during our conversation.

Also, on the one year deal, it was for sure Cogs’s camp that wanted it. He was offered a two year from what I heard that would pay him and extra .125 in the second year. The Oilers wanted to tie him up right up to the year before their next contract rights for RFA status. Stauffer was talking about it on Oilers lunch during the summer and said as much. I also know somebody who confirmed this who is very much an insider in the organization, but not a “name” so to speak.

I think he’ll end up on a line with MPS and Brule and even though they will be the shutdown line, they will obviously have the skill and opportunity to put up numbers with that kind of talent. That’s just the line I think will come out and be together initially based on my personal line projections I posted earlier. Any way you slice it, he’ll be playing with other skilled players no matter where he is in the lineup. I’m thinking he’ll put up better numbers than last year and also learn to be a more complete player. He’s on a mission to prove himself. After all, he just saw Top Six Pouliot get released. A very close to home example of a guy told to do the same thing who is now on a two way in Tampa who had similar abilities to Cogs. He’ll be good this year I’m thinking.

LateNightOilFan: Wow, what a great all-day conversation – don’t any of you guys work for a living? I’m too tired to add anything to it (plus everything has been covered!) but just thought I would welcome OIB & Dean and also welcome otto84 back!

Yeah, but I’m also on the computer all day for work, so it’s easy whilst I watch the market action.

chucker: Sorry OIB;I had read that article on COH a while back and that’s why I was so comfortable with my comments on Cogs.I should have brought it up earlier, so I appologize for not bringing it in during our conversation.Also, on the one year deal, it was for sure Cogs’s camp that wanted it.He was offered a two year from what I heard that would pay him and extra .125 in the second year.The Oilers wanted to tie him up right up to the year before their next contract rights for RFA status.Stauffer was talking about it on Oilers lunch during the summer and said as much.I also know somebody who confirmed this who is very much an insider in the organization, but not a “name” so to speak.I think he’ll end up on a line with MPS and Brule and even though they will be the shutdown line, they will obviously have the skill and opportunity to put up numbers with that kind of talent.That’s just the line I think will come out and be together initially based on my personal line projections I posted earlier.Any way you slice it, he’ll be playing with other skilled players no matter where he is in the lineup.I’m thinking he’ll put up better numbers than last year and also learn to be a more complete player.He’s on a mission to prove himself.After all, he just saw Top Six Pouliot get released.A very close to home example of a guy told to do the same thing who is now on a two way in Tampa who had similar abilities to Cogs.He’ll be good this year I’m thinking.

Oops. For some reason I thought it was the other way around (that Cogs wanted a longer year term and the Oilers wanted a shorter term). That might have been Gagner though. I can’t find the link, but the way it was worded, it was a little unclear… I remember it being a Tambellini interview in which he was talking about Gagner and Cogliano signings and it was unclear as to who he meant between Gagner and Cogliano as to which he wanted to give a shorter term deal to, but I guess it was Gagner.

I’ll have to try and dig that one up tomorrow so I look like less of an ass-hat. lol

And like Chucker, I’m on a computer at work all day, LNOF :P

27. Mr.Majestyk says:

LateNightOilFan: Racki & chucker – just kidding around, I’m on the computer all day too, just unable to be on the web for most of it. Anyway, it’s just nice to see a lengthy conversation where everyone can respectfully express their POV. Looking forward to lots of that here as the season unfolds.

The best thing about the Foil, the most respectful blog on the Oilogosphere(whatever that word is).

PS. I think Racki and Chucker work at Initech. They’ve got a meeting with the Bob’s today.

“I have people skills!!!”

(FYI, Office Space is a documentary based loosely on Steve-O, Trogdor and me).

Good old Initech! :D

30. oilinblood says:

Thanks for clarifying the info and your POV’s guys. I guess what ever the case, done is done and the contract does provide alot of choices for either side depending on how the year pans out. I believe Cogs will be important as a 3rd liner and regular PK player, with ability to move up in short-term injury situations. Its nice to have him in the fold. This is a much different attitude from him about embracing a bottom 6 role than last year.