Studly Wonderbomb has a change of heart? Too bad, says Tambellini.

By , September 13, 2010 6:12 pm
Ahh, shit guys, I was only kidding...

'Ahh, shit guys, I was only kidding...'

Taken from TSN:

The 34-year old went public with his criticism of the team back in April and demanded a trade, stating that he felt as though he had been mistreated by the organization by being forced to play before he had completely recovered from a shoulder injury. When the Oilers found no takers for their disgruntled defenceman either through waivers or a trade, it seemed as though the two-sides were headed towards a very nasty and very public divorce.

It appears that time has healed at least some of those wounds as Souray was back on the ice at the Rexall Centre Monday, skating with teammates for the first time since sounding off. His stance also seems to have softened somewhat since making his initial demands.

“Things that I said, that’s five months ago,” Souray told TSN. “We are in a completely different spot now and there is a lot of optimism.”

Is this just a factor of being waived and no interest from teams, along with being untradeable? Is he trying to win back the fans, or did he really just have a change of heart?

Either way, it makes things interesting. If he can let bygones be bygones, I’m OK with it. I said all along that him ripping into management, publicly or not, isn’t a huge issue to me as long as what he said was true and not just whining about his own ability to get injured frequently.

Question is, how will the fans and everyone react? Will you welcome him back?

(Again, as a reminder, voting doesn’t seem to work with the MyMag theme, so you might have to change to another theme to vote)

Would you welcome Sheldon Souray back in the line up for the 2010/11 season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

UPDATE: Well, whether Souray wants to be here or not, Steve Tambellini doesn’t want him here. Here is what Tambellini had to say on it today.

93 Responses to “Studly Wonderbomb has a change of heart? Too bad, says Tambellini.”

as per bob mckenzie:
    TSNBobMcKenzie
    @DarrenDreger reports: Oilers called Souray’s agent Friday to inform him they were considering this. Agent asked for decision in writing…

TSNBobMcKenzie

Oilers sent email to agent this aft stating team did not want Souray to attend camp and asked Souray to stand by for further instructions…

MetalOil: I cannot believe anything that comes out of Sheldon or his agents mouth. It’s clear that he has a vendetta against management. I lean to believing that Tamby did in fact tell Shellys agent that he could not come to camp. Now he is just trying to make Tamby look bad.

I could see that happening.

NJD needs to clear cap space, I say trade him to Jersey for Kovalchuk.

We could really use another LW.

And 3 more goaltenders too.

Looks like we will find out more tomorrow. I will be the goat here, sigh. Ek says that Souray told a teammate last season “Why am I here” in the middle of a game. He believes the Oilers are close with either the Rangers, Isles or Caps. Notice he is the only one saying the Oilers are close on a trade lmao.

Wow, I missed all the action on this tonight!

Trade or re-entry waivers, wonder which it will be?

7. MetalOil says:

I am puttin my money on Re-Entry waivers.

Wow…for anyone that hasn’t heard Tambi speak yet, here’s a link. First of all, you can clearly tell he’s PISSED OFF. secondly, not only does he not leave ant doors open for Studly’s return, but he makes sure he slams the doors reiterating many times Shelly will not be in camp. Thirdly…he’s pissed off! Did I say that twice? lol

Adrianl from the OMB made the following post in a thread there, and it was so good I had to steal it and post it here. He nails it.

Adrianl says: “I just listened to Tambo’s interview and I like how he’s taking a hard stance at it. If you want out just because the team is doing cruddy, then get out. Now that we have all these shinny new talented kids, you want to come back? If you’re a true Oiler, you’re with us when times are good and when times are bad. Ryan Whitney gets traded to the last place team? He doesn’t sulk, he takes the opportunity to be a leader on a team in disarray. So what if Jason Strudwick will be in the box most of the season? He may not be the best hockey player, but his great attitude and love for the game is why he still has a job, and why he’s still on his team. His infectious smile and never say die attitude is what this team needs.”

Steve Tambellini:

“Our ownership, our management, our coaches, our staff – all on board with the plan, and we’re not going to change it. And we’re going to have to find a way. Sheldon has expressed strong interest over a long period of time that it’s best for him to move and we’re going to try and help him with that. I couldn’t get that done prior to this camp. I hope to get it done during camp, but it’s best for the Oilers for him not to be at camp right now.

We’re going forward, the vibe here of some of these young kids and what’s happening with the staff… I want to be able to look forward. I know we have to deal with this. I know that Sheldon wants to play on another team and we’re going to have to wait a little while. “

Just listened to that link gr8one, thanks, although I think if I had to answer the same question 5 times in the span of a few minutes I’d be getting pretty PO’d as well.

Just get it done and get him moved. I’m not hating on Souray for saying what he said back in the spring. I believe him when he talked about the lack of communication because that has been mentioned before by plenty of players. Souray probably should have kept his mouth shut but I don’t think either party has been a saint in all of this. So let’s just get on with moving on.

LNOF, that’s true!

Hey, you have any interest in the pool? we could use some estrogen in there…

I’ve been thinking about it, but I’ve only ever done salary cap pools for the regular season before – the type where you pick your players and you’re done and free to gripe about your injuries without being able to replace your players.

I just don’t know if I’m up for thinking about what players to use for specific games all through the season, making trades, etc. I’ll let you know though – need to read up a bit on how it works.

15. Mr.Majestyk says:

I just listened to the Tambi interview. He did sound pissed. I guess he’s sticking to his guns, but I completely disagree with the guy. I hope it works out well, but its really a shame that this wasn’t handled in a professsional manner. They keep saying they are doing whats best for the Oilers, but I don’t see how locking Souray out of camp and getting a diminished return on a guy that could bounce back from an injury plagued season is best for the Oilers.

16. Mr.Majestyk says:

Racki: Knowing who to play each night is actually a lot easier than it sounds. Usually it involves playing every single guy you possibly can. Some nights (like Saturdays) you’ll have to choose between a few guys though, but not usually a big deal. As far as trades/waivers, well, it’s all about looking at what point areas you are weakest at and addressing needs with a player that can help in that area and others.

I think we need to put some restrictions on player movement as well. I briefly looked at the setup and I think it has unlimited waiver moves for the season and per week. When that happens you can just keep dropping and adding guys every night so that you have a full roster in the lineup the entire week, which usually adds up to bigger totals. Not saying I’d drop Ovechkin for the average guy thats playing the next night, but some of your roster players will become expendable.

17. Mr.Majestyk says:

Just tracked down this video from the Oilers site. Its the interview with Tambi after the Khabi ruling when he gives an update on Souray’s status.

Mr.Majestyk:
    I think we need to put some restrictions on player movement as well.I briefly looked at the setup and I think it has unlimited waiver moves for the season and per week.When that happens you can just keep dropping and adding guys every night so that you have a full roster in the lineup the entire week, which usually adds up to bigger totals.Not saying I’d drop Ovechkin for the average guy thats playing the next night, but some of your roster players will become expendable.

It takes time to drop players (granted not that long.. an extra day or something), and people can scoop up your players that you drop… we had it that way last year and it wasn’t an issue at all.

Mr.M, just so we don’t keep this thread hijacked too much, I’m going to address your answer in the pool thread.

20. mrgod2u says:

Well I know it isn’t my money, but I would rather bury him in the minors than subsidize another team to have him (and then still end up playing against him). If we send him to the minors it is his choice to report or not so he can get released. Once that happens he can go negotiate a new crappy contract.

Hopefully there is a bag of pucks deal to be made, but I seriously doubt it. If teams didn’t want him for nothing, why would they all of a sudden give up something for him? Maybe if he’s playing well in the minors we can get a trade for him if a team gets desperate due to injury or at the trade deadline. But at this point all of our options are bad, it’s just a question of which crappy outcome we take.

chucker: Hoping for a big injury on another team. That’s the only way he’s remotely tradeable. Otherwise, send his butt to the ECHL and make him quit.

Would you quit if you were being paid $4.5m to play in the ECHL? Especially knowing you would then have to get back to the NHL on a cheaper deal?

If the Oilers demote him then recall him, he will very likely get claimed on re-entry waivers and the Oilers pay half his salaty. That’s better than paying his full salary in the minors.

Question – if he does get demoted and they keep him down in the minors until someone expresses interest in him via trade, is he exposed to re-entry waivers prior to the proposed trade? Could the Oilers end up paying his full salary while in the minors, then be stuck paying half his salary if someone claims him on re-entry, and therefore never get to trade him?

I don’t even know if they can suspend him seeing as he is willing to report to camp and they are telling him not to report.

Yes, LNOF, if he is sent to OKC, he’ll still have to clear recall waivers to be brought up. Obviously a team wouldn’t trade for him until he was brought up, so the Oilers would likely get stuck paying half the tab in that situation. I can see him being claimed for a $2.7M cap hit and $2.25M salary.

And I also don’t think he can be suspended for reasons you suggested. On that note, I wonder if he’s just playing the nice guy routine in case this thing goes to an arbitrator somehow (or a grievance is filed, or some sort of legal battle).

Yeah, I wonder if those comments were said to slyly through more slag on to Tambi. He knew what was going on and he played the victim again. I have no respect for this guy.

As for the recall waivers, it’s likely what will happen, but I’m thinking they’d rather attempt to make him report to another team that he’ll hate being on because he’s a Norris candidate in his mind. I think the venom in this situation is deep and I’ve even heard rumours that the guy was a constant source of bitching in the dressing room. Rishaug tweeted on it once.

Even the comments by Ken Danyko saying that Sheldon is the most selfish player he’s ever encountered says a lot. Sorry, no link but I read it from a link on HF to a site that I have no reason to question.

The guy is just dumb. Yes he’s an asset on the PP and toughness-wise, but NOBODY WANTS HIM for free. I’m not sure that the chewed up cap space, should he be claimed on re-entry waivers, is worth the trouble. Cap space is everything in this NHL. I think he’s gonna go the same way that Nylander did. I can’t see Tambi wanting him anywhere near any Oilers prospects at any level.

I think the next step will be that Tambi gives Souray’s agent freedom to explore any possible trades.

EDIT: I saw this link on HF with the caption “Is Souray doing this?”

24. mrgod2u says:

Personally I don’t think Souray would take the big money to sit in the minors. If he doesn’t report and gets unconditionally waived he can negotiate a new deal and get to work earning it. At his age sitting in the AHL making big money will only get him to the end of this contract and then he might wash out. Plus there is the issue of ego, playing in the AHL might be intolerable for him.

I am also pretty sure that a waived player who gets traded while in the minors is no longer considered to be subject to re-entry waivers. I think I read it in a weird what if scenario for when I was looking at this before

25. victoriaoilerfan says:

I think Souray reported to make sure he is on record as reporting to camp willing to play. Thus the Oilers can’t void his contract. I find it strange that Tambi would just call Souray’s agent infporming him not to report rather than putting it in writing so it is crystal clear if court or arbitration action comes down the pipline in the future.
    My guess is that Tambi made the call, the agent called Souray and said report regardless to cover your ass. And make sure you say the right things Sheldon.
    So Souray has come out of round one with his contract still in tact.
    Round 2 may be to send him to the minors. If he doesn’t report, again his contact can be voided. I don’t see that happening but I thought the Oilers were going to let him report and I was dead wrong.

26. Mr.Majestyk says:

We’re like the Top Gun of Oilers fans.. the elite.. the best of the best.. complete with gay innuendo’s and fancy high fives.

28. Mr.Majestyk says:

I might have to change my handle to Mr.Maverick :)

It’s true.

You guys(and girl) can be my wing-men(-people) anytime.

Gotta bring this thing back, CTV is reporting that Sheldon souray has headed home.

Mr.Majestyk: I’ve never heard of all the rumours about how bad Souray was in the room. Never heard that thing about Ken Danyko either chucker, if you could find a source on that I’d like to read and find out exactly the context of the comments.I think everyone’s gotten a little bi-p’oiler these days. I can barely go to the OMB because it makes me less of an Oiler fan. I really like coming to the foil because there’s really good posters in here, but anytime I’m at the OMB it just makes me hate Oiler fans. Not to be elitist, but we’re the elite!

I’ll see if I can find it. It’s about 8 years ago, but I remember it distinctly. See if I can find it.

I’ve been trying to find that quote without success, so I guess if you go by the rule that if there is no link it didn’t happen, it didn’t happen. I still remember it though. It was while Sheldon was in Montreal and it was on sports talk show. Might have been a quick interview on Fan 590 with Bobcat. I can’t remember.

WTF now? He’s told not to show up, he flies to LA, now he’s showing up.

What a mess.

34. Mr.Majestyk says:

Well, no matter. I just don’t buy that Souray is the terrible selfish teamate that we are now hearing about. Nobody was talking about this the year before last. Rumours and conjecture abound in Oilerland. Look back at his time in Edmonton and all the interviews that fans liked what he had to say, that he was a standup guy, our MVP, the one guy who would call a spade a spade following a brutal drubbing. The episodes of the Link where all his teammates had fun ribbing him and vice versa. It just amazes me how fans turn on players so quickly. I don’t think everyone has to love the guy, they are entitled to their opinion and if they think the Oilers are better off without him, so be it. What bothers me is that hardly any Oiler fans have class.

I’ve been an Oiler fan for as long as I can remember but I’ve never been to Edmonton to watch a game(yet!). I don’t think that makes me any less of a fan than someone who lives in Edmonton. Actually one of the benefits from being an ‘outsider’ is that I don’t get caught up in all the hoopla that surrounds the city and what appears to be a Napoleon complex. Guy states he wants out of Edmonton and he has earned the hatred of practically every fan. Even the poll question about having Souray back is “No, he shouldn’t have made his comments in public”. As though he could privately make those comments, that they could be true, just don’t utter them in public.

Sorry if I’m a little fired up about this whole scenario, I wish it was just behind us at this point. I can’t even go to the OMB anymore because its just so irritating. I feel like less of a fan because so many of the posts make me hate Oiler fans, when really, we should be united, atleast by the fact that we all love the Oilers. I find myself wishing that Souray comes back with a monster year and shoves down the Oilers throats just to shut up some of the jerk fans, but there is no cure for those people. Good thing I still have this place to vent, and the odd time discuss Oilers hockey with ‘the best of the best’ :)

35. Mr.Majestyk says:

chucker: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/edmonton-oilers/Gilbert+becomes+elder+statesman/3477016/story.htmlWTF now? He’s told not to show up, he flies to LA, now he’s showing up. Good lord. I wish he never opened his mouth and asked publicly for a trade. He would have been gone. What a mess.

Mr.Majestyk: Isn’t that an older article? The date at the top of the page says Sept.3 so it woud have been before Tambi told him to go home.

Oh, good catch. I didn’t see the date.

Yes, I’m getting a little bi’poiler these days on this issue. I can’t even tell what friggin’ day it is! :P

On the state of comments, yeah, I’d agree that we do have a complex about players that jilt us. I guess since the Pronger thing and having all our favorites traded over the years, fans have become very critical and overly critical. I know I have done that with regards to Souray for sure.

I do agree the best likely scenario is he plays and plays well, but that doesn’t appear likely at this point based on Tambi’s position. I really wish he had just been more patient and kept it to himself. In hindsight, he would have made it much easier on everyone. If you want to vent, do it after you’ve left, then we can hate you after you’ve gone. :P

I’m really going to be looking forward to the news out of camp today and tomorrow. I was going to go tomorrow but ended up booking a trade show last minute. It’s open to the public, so maybe Racki or Steve-O and Trogdor will be there to get the first hand view of the new youth movement. It’s usually a great day to go the few times I’ve been able to.

Mr.Majestyk: Well, no matter.I just don’t buy that Souray is the terrible selfish teamate that we are now hearing about.Nobody was talking about this the year before last.Rumours and conjecture abound in Oilerland.Look back at his time in Edmonton and all the interviews that fans liked what he had to say, that he was a standup guy, our MVP, the one guy who would call a spade a spade following a brutal drubbing.The episodes of the Link where all his teammates had fun ribbing him and vice versa.It just amazes me how fans turn on players so quickly.I don’t think everyone has to love the guy, they are entitled to their opinion and if they think the Oilers are better off without him, so be it.What bothers me is that hardly any Oiler fans have class.I’ve been an Oiler fan for as long as I can remember but I’ve never been to Edmonton to watch a game(yet!).I don’t think that makes me any less of a fan than someone who lives in Edmonton.Actually one of the benefits from being an ‘outsider’ is that I don’t get caught up in all the hoopla that surrounds the city and what appears to be a Napoleon complex.Guy states he wants out of Edmonton and he has earned the hatred of practically every fan.Even the poll question about having Souray back is “No, he shouldn’t have made his comments in public”.As though he could privately make those comments, that they could be true, just don’t utter them in public.Sorry if I’m a little fired up about this whole scenario, I wish it was just behind us at this point.I can’t even go to the OMB anymore because its just so irritating.I feel like less of a fan because so many of the posts make me hate Oiler fans, when really, we should be united, atleast by the fact that we all love the Oilers.I find myself wishing that Souray comes back with a monster year and shoves down the Oilers throats just to shut up some of the jerk fans, but there is no cure for those people.Good thing I still have this place to vent, and the odd time discuss Oilers hockey with ‘the best of the best’:)

In regards to the poll question.. it’s phrased that way because that is the argument a lot of people are making. And really, while I’ve defended him publicly making the statements (I said before that if he is being sincere, it’s a big concern and they should be heard in public), there is good enough reason to say that he should have gone to Tambi about it first. If I have a problem with my employer (which I have), I tell them about it face to face. I don’t tell the press about it. I personally am happy that he came public about it if he felt that way.. just saying I can see fans reasoning when they are opposed to him doing it publicly.

For the record, I personally have defended Souray a number of times here and elsewhere. I don’t think it’s a good idea to keep him around anymore, but I’ve said a number of times that it bothers me how quickly fans turned on him. The same thing happened to Jarret Stoll back in the day, and I said the same things about him. One moment we’re ready to erect a bronze statue of him and hand over the captaincy, the next moment we’re in a hurry to trade him.

Chucker: on the open practice, I’ve been thinking about it.. not sure I will go. It’s a practice, is it really that good to see? I think the scrimmages would be fun to watch, but the drills might not be. I generally will watch any bit of Oilers I can though, so I’m considering going still.

The practices are not as fun as the scrimmages for sure, but the opening day excitement and media throng are neat to be around.

Perhaps that opens up a trade scenario for Souray to Ottawa.

gr8one: So, it looks like Filip Kuba suffered what looks to be a pretty serious knee injury.Perhaps that opens up a trade scenario for Souray to Ottawa.

If so, I hope we could get Fisher from a deal. Cogs + Souray for Fisher + Player around 2.000 Mark?

Low turn out according to rj mckinnon of EJ. I should have gone. had a busy AM though. but going to get tickets for joey moss cup today. that is definitely more exciting and great value.