Studly Wonderbomb has a change of heart? Too bad, says Tambellini.

By , September 13, 2010 6:12 pm
Ahh, shit guys, I was only kidding...

'Ahh, shit guys, I was only kidding...'

Taken from TSN:

The 34-year old went public with his criticism of the team back in April and demanded a trade, stating that he felt as though he had been mistreated by the organization by being forced to play before he had completely recovered from a shoulder injury. When the Oilers found no takers for their disgruntled defenceman either through waivers or a trade, it seemed as though the two-sides were headed towards a very nasty and very public divorce.

It appears that time has healed at least some of those wounds as Souray was back on the ice at the Rexall Centre Monday, skating with teammates for the first time since sounding off. His stance also seems to have softened somewhat since making his initial demands.

“Things that I said, that’s five months ago,” Souray told TSN. “We are in a completely different spot now and there is a lot of optimism.”

Is this just a factor of being waived and no interest from teams, along with being untradeable? Is he trying to win back the fans, or did he really just have a change of heart?

Either way, it makes things interesting. If he can let bygones be bygones, I’m OK with it. I said all along that him ripping into management, publicly or not, isn’t a huge issue to me as long as what he said was true and not just whining about his own ability to get injured frequently.

Question is, how will the fans and everyone react? Will you welcome him back?

(Again, as a reminder, voting doesn’t seem to work with the MyMag theme, so you might have to change to another theme to vote)

Would you welcome Sheldon Souray back in the line up for the 2010/11 season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

UPDATE: Well, whether Souray wants to be here or not, Steve Tambellini doesn’t want him here. Here is what Tambellini had to say on it today.

Our ownership, our management, our coaches, our staff – all on board with the plan, and we’re not going to change it. And we’re going to have to find a way. Sheldon has expressed strong interest over a long period of time that it’s best for him to move and we’re going to try and help him with that. I couldn’t get that done prior to this camp. I hope to get it done during camp, but it’s best for the Oilers for him not to be at camp right now.

We’re going forward, the vibe here of some of these young kids and what’s happening with the staff… I want to be able to look forward. I know we have to deal with this. I know that Sheldon wants to play on another team and we’re going to have to wait a little while.

93 Responses to “Studly Wonderbomb has a change of heart? Too bad, says Tambellini.”

This changes things a little, no?

2. MetalOil says:

Well at least now he may be able to be on the team until a move to another team can be made. I am sure both sides would still rather part ways but now if he plays at a mid-high level he should garner some attention from some of the 29 other teams at some point this season. It is inevitable that teams are gonna encounter major, long term injury’s to their bluelines.

Yah I think you’re right.. this is probably just to smooth things over for now. But hopefully he won’t be a distraction at all. I think we’ll likely forget about this all until either: A) he gets injured or b) he gets traded.

4. neufab says:

The Oilers are better with Souray than without Souray!

Hmmm.. so, on that note…

Whitney/Gilbert
    Smid/Foster

Then again, with this team’s luck with injuries, I’m sure we’ll be calling guys up still by the time the season starts. :P

Yeah, I agree with everything said so far.

As far as him being a distraction, as long as it’s not totally negative, having a little distraction could end up being a good thing. If some of the cameras and reporters are focused on Souray, and as long as he acts like a pro and says/does the right things it could maybe actually take a little focus off the rookies and let them breathe a little.

and Racki, since we don’t really have an NHL goalie maybe Studly can strap on the pads?

lol…seriously though, I think I’d pencil him in on the 2nd paring with Smid and have Foster/Vandermeer/Peckham on the third pairing.

7. John says:

neufab: Until Souray said what he did, Souray was easily considered one of the Oiler top defencemen – when healthy. He should have been the next captain. With any luck he’ll play like he can, stay healthy, and be valuable by trade deadline day. I never liked the idea of loosing Souray, it looks as if both sides have decided to do the ‘smart’ thing. With that in mind, I doubt that the Oilers have Souray penciled in for their long term plan.The Oilers are better with Souray than without Souray!

Couldn’t have said it better myself…so I didn’t!

Updated the article with the real link.. guess Kuklas Korner just took it from TSN, so giving TSN the link… plus there is a lot more to read there on it too. More quotes, including this one which says a bit more:

“It’s not awkward at all for me,” Souray said. “I just stated some of the facts that I was feeling at the time and that’s it. To come back and see the guys is actually a positive thing. Once you kind of get around that camaraderie with the guys that I haven’t been around since January of last year, it just picks up your spirits.”

9. John says:

Racki: Hmmm.. so, on that note…Whitney/GilbertSmid/FosterWho gets paired with Souray? Do we now dump one of Vandermeer or Strudwick as well? (Since Peckham will either be the 6th or 7th d-man, I’m sure).Then again, with this team’s luck with injuries, I’m sure we’ll be calling guys up still by the time the season starts.

Good question Racki. I don’t see Vandermeer going anywhere because he’s a huge part of our new “team toughness” policy as well as providing some much needed help with the defensive zone puck recovery issues that this team has struggled with for years. My guess is Strudsy is the odd man out if Souray sticks.

I guess there is also the option of Strudwick at forward.. pardon me while I wash the taste of vomit out of my mouth…

11. Sheldon Oilers Fan for Life!!! says:

Time heals wounds and wavers adds a dose of humility which we all need once in a while. I am fine with it so long as the room is good and I have no way to judge that. He does have a bomb of a shot and if healthy could help the kids with his size on D. I am good either way management goes with it. If he does do really well he might be good for a great first round pick come spring. Right now we get squat so if it can work for 6 months or so it might be a great idea.

12. John says:

Haha, no doubt Racki although if that’s a possibility then I don’t see him being any more than a 3rd or 4th line injury spare either. Maybe he could be a jack of all trades for the team; call up Dman when we get an injury, or call up bottom 6 forward when we get an injury there, & when not doing either of those duties he could sweep out the locker room & players bench :)

I like that Souray is again feeling the need to prove himself. If he stays healthy, I think that spells another big season.

I think if Studly stays on the team, hes gonna have a HUGE season. Hopefully he is serious that things have changed. I like the guy.

I’m not sure I have a word to describe these actions, intelligent? No, logical? Wicked.

Lets look at this scenario,

Souray made comments which soured the organization and the Oilers brass. Management makes it sound like he will be harmful for the team and or philosophy. Souray “Demands a trade”, I can’t remember if he was open to a trade or demanded one but long story short Souray has disgruntled the organization and cleared waivers.

His options are pretty much limited,
    i) Sit and wait it out until a team comes and asks for his services
    ii) Mend what was damaged and play with a promising offensively gifted bunch of prospects and raise his trade value (if he still wants to be traded)

Really, how I see it, a veteran defensemen that cleared waivers can only go up from here but hey I love having him back on the blue line. Don’t get me wrong I feel much better having him there.

Whitney – Gilbert
    Smid – Souray
    Vandermeer – Foster??

On a side note one of the girls in my diploma (we’re a small group, maybe 20 of us) was talking about how Peckham hit on her during the weekend. Not sure how credible it was but at first she had no idea who it was so she asked her brother about him via text and he confirmed he played for the Oilers but was a “crappy defense-men”.

yeah, well…

Dan Tencer
    Steve Tambellini says Souray is not invited to camp…breaking…

So, this is now REALLY interesting, if Souray was informed of this prior to going public about wanting to come back, it seems to me he’s trying to get support in the court of public opinion now.

Definitely interesting to see how Tambi handles this, it will be awfully easy for him to be seen as petty and unforgiving.

gr8one: yeah, well…the plot thickens…this is exploding all over twitter, but I’ll use Tencers example.Dan Tencer
    Steve Tambellini says Souray is not invited to camp…breaking…

Very interesting, unless there is a trade in works or something I can’t really see this being a short term benefit. He’s sticking true to his word but this just blows my mind away… Our “MVP” has to do a 30DAY jail stint while Souray apologizes for his actions? Hmmmmmmmm…

There’s a presser in 45mins as per Tencer’s twitter.

18. Mr.Majestyk says:

Wow, that is just a dumb move by Tambi if its accurate.

As per Gregor.

Jason Gregor
    Souray will not be coming to Oiler training camp. Tambellini will talk at 830 PST

and Tencer.

Dan Tencer
    Tambellini will meet the media here in Penticton in the 1st intermission of the next Young Stars game. About 45 mins probably…

so, hopefully between ched and team 1260 we can tune in and hear what Tambi has to say in the next little while.

Maybe Souray came to practice with a laundry list of complaints about Tambellini and started filling players heads with them. lol

(kidding)

OK.. if anyone catches wind, post here to let us know it’s on.

22. Mr.Majestyk says:

one great thing about Soap Opera’s is there are usually loads of babes you’ve never heard of.

Racki: Jebus. He’s in.. he’s out.. he’s in.. he’s out. I just want some sort of closure on this, one way or another. lol

Good call Gr8one, but even better call Majestyk!

This is very interesting. We hear Souray is making nice and is willing to stay, then hours later we hear Tambi has told him he is not invited to camp. Hopefully Tambi sheds some light on this. something must be up, some sort of trade or something. No way you tell a big cap hit to stay home and affect the cap.

~What’s Eklund Twatwaffle saying right now?~

Souray says he’s going to camp Oilers say he’s not..Tambellini about to explain

- Gene Principe just tweeted this.

Racki: ~What’s Eklund Twatwaffle Twatwaffle saying right now?~

Greene + Varlamov for Souray + Ebs + JDD

Racki: ~What’s Eklund Twatwaffle Twatwaffle saying right now?~

I had to look it up, lol look at this rubbish!

WHO IN THE RIGHT NAME OF GOD WOULD TAKE REDDEN?

29. Mr.Majestyk says:

Its so political. All summer long Souray takes abuse from the fans for wanting out. He shows up to skate the with the guys and says the right things, and he’s in a more positive light. Tambi tells him he’s not invited and suddenly Tambi looks like the bad guy.

I have been a staunch supporter of Tambi since he took the job, but I gotta say, I place most of the blame at his feet for this farce. There have been several opportunities to make the right move, and each time he’s dropped the ball.

Gene says he emailed Souray, who responded saying he will talk TOMORROW after the skate, which he says he will take part of.

31. Mr.Majestyk says:

Bostonoiler: I had to look it up, lol look at this rubbish!Rangers to acquire Cogliano and perhaps Souray from the Oilers in exchange for Redden, Dubinsky and a defensive prospect.WHO IN THE RIGHT NAME OF GOD WOULD TAKE REDDEN?

I’d do it if the plan was to send him to the minors. Its worse to send one of our own players down because I feel more allegiance to our guys.

Mr.Majestyk: Its so political.All summer long Souray takes abuse from the fans for wanting out.He shows up to skate the with the guys and says the right things, and he’s in a more positive light.Tambi tells him he’s not invited and suddenly Tambi looks like the bad guy.I have been a staunch supporter of Tambi since he took the job, but I gotta say, I place most of the blame at his feet for this farce.There have been several opportunities to make the right move, and each time he’s dropped the ball.

Haha… like I said before, intelligent, eh? Although I didn’t imagine things escalating like this, nor this fast. And I was just kidding with that rumour by the way.

33. string says:

Daren Millard: Souray’s agent says he wasn’t informed until today that he wasn’t invited to camp. What a story!

How do you feel about the communication issues now, Sheldon?

Mr.Majestyk:
    I’d do it if the plan was to send him to the minors.Its worse to send one of our own players down because I feel more allegiance to our guys.

string: souray says he will comment on this latest “falling out” with mgt tomorrow after skating with the club

Thanks for posting, String…

This should be pretty interesting to hear, given the last “fall out”. Really, if he was as oblivious to what management was thinking (About him not coming to camp) as he is saying he is, then this should really throw some fuel on the campfire. lol

37. MetalOil says:

gr8one:
    yeah, I actually kinda don’t mind that, as long as Katz doesn’t care if we send Redden down. but who knows, Redden used to be a very good D man too, and we’re not up against the cap, so maybe we get a couple of serviceable years out of him and then send him down when we really need the cap space.Dubinsky would look awfully good on this team for a very long time. And if the D prospect was McDonagh, then hell yes. Sauer looks to be a decent prospect too.

Totally agree!!! I would make that trade at this point. Redden used to be a good d man and maybe a change of scenery is what he needs to turn around his career. Worst case is if that does not pan out then we bury him in the minors and still end up with Dubinsky!!!

What an interesting development.

38. Mr.Majestyk says:

When Tambi was interviewed after the Khabi ruling, he was asked by a reporter if Souray would report to camp and Tambi’s response was “he could”.

As the Oilers Turn

Tune in now!

40. MetalOil says:

where is this presser being brodcated???
    630 ??? TEAM ???

Racki: Friedman seems to figure re-entry waivers for Souray is the only option…. discuss.

I still don’t see why he can’t just attend camp and go for a roster spot? I just don’t see the logic behind this all.

zackman35:

Best guess.. Tambi hates Souray.. loads.

Steve-O:

gr8one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98T3PVaRrHU

Steve-0, I still think it’s more that^.

I’d rather do the Rangers trade, but have no faith what so ever in what that fraud says. I think he will be on re-entry waivers as soon as he can be.

Lock him in a room and throw away the room.

gr8one: Lock him in a room and throw away the room.

If only it was that easy….

48. MetalOil says:

MetalOil: I cannot believe anything that comes out of Sheldon or his agents mouth. It’s clear that he has a vendetta against management. I lean to believing that Tamby did in fact tell Shellys agent that he could not come to camp. Now he is just trying to make Tamby look bad.

That’s my inclination as well.