Roy assigned to Acadie-Bathurst of the QMJHL

By , September 22, 2010 10:52 am
Olivier Roy

Olivier Roy

Edmonton Oilers General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the club has assigned goaltender Olivier Roy to Acadie-Bathurst of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

I don’t think this should come as a surprise. It was going to happen sooner or later. He was our last goaltender here that wasn’t really competing for a spot on the NHL team. That leaves Nikolai Khabibulin (who Jason Gregor says isn’t quite mentally ready to play just yet), Martin Gerber, Jeff Deslauriers and Devan Dubnyk as goaltenders at training camp. Of course Khabibulin is a shoe-in to make the team, so that leaves Gerber, Deslauriers and Dubnyk fighting for the backup role. As I’ve mentioned before, I think it is Dubnyk’s to lose.

As for Roy, I think he had a decent rookie camp. He certainly has a bright future and is an athletic goaltender. I suspect he will be a starter for Canada at the WJHCs this year, and should have a decent season with Acadie-Bathurst given his level of ability and that this is his 4th year of junior now. I’m looking forward to seeing him on Oklahoma City next year.

10 Responses to “Roy assigned to Acadie-Bathurst of the QMJHL”

1. mrgod2u says:

Ummm… Am I the only one more than a little freaked out that Khabibulin is not “Mentally ready”?

So his back is screwed, he drinks and drives while “recovering” from his back surgery, and now he may not be prepared mentally.

Wow this guy gets better every second. I guess he got brought on to the team to make Horcoff’s contract look better (of which I am showing guarded optimism after last nights highlights).

I’m not 100% sure what he meant by “mentally” ready. Does that mean he’s trying to deal with the hubbub around his drunk driving case and all the negative attention? Or does it mean he’s just not in the zone? I have no clue. But it didn’t sound like too big of a a deal. The comment was pretty non-chalant:

JG: Nikolai Khabibulin is close to playing. Right now it seems more mental than physical for him. Renney will see how Khabibulin feels Thursday morning before making a decision on when he plays. He might wait a few more days before putting him in between the pipes.

As long as he’s up for it come regular season, I’m fine. Wouldn’t sound the panic alarm just yet.

Yeah, it’s concerning for sure, but if you were in his shoes, you’d likely be very nervous too. (just playing devil’s advocate)

It would be a good thing, in my opinion, if they gave him half a game in Vancouver to get into it on an away game and just to get comfortable so to speak.

But, yeah, Khabbi is a huge cause for concern no matter how you look at it.

Also, looking at the lineups for tonight, it’s going to be an ugly game.

Vancouver has their “A” camp squad against our “B” camp squad. On the bright side, we’re going to see some fights tonight for sure. :D

Agreed Chucker.. I wouldn’t even call our lineup a “B” lineup. hehe

6. mrgod2u says:

More like the “B seeing you in OKC” squad

haha clever, Mr Principe.

8. otto says:

Boozin’ isn’t mentally ready to play yet? Wtf.

I guess it makes sense the Oilers didn’t want to put many of our main squad on the ice, especially guys like Paajarvi or Hall, since te Canucks will probably just be head hunting today.

Well they are dressing a pretty decent squad. I guess the papers are saying (and it makes sense) that they did it because the Oilers are on the road tonight and they want their first real (albeit not regulation) game for Hall to be at home. And it’s on TSN.

10. dawgtoy says:

Could get ugly out there tonight for the Oil, but I totally agree with the reasoning, the “A” lineup will be tomorrow on TSN in front of the home fans.