GDT: Oilers 5, Lightning 2 – Pre-season Game 2 – 2010-09-23 @ 7:00 PM – TSN

By , September 23, 2010 9:32 am
Go, tim bits, go

Go, tim bits, go

So here it is… the first “real” game situation for Taylor Hall in an Oilers uniform, vs. another NHL team. The fans should be pretty jacked up about this one, and those of us at home can all have the luxury of being able to watch this one on TSN.

No word on lines or anything just yet, but I’m hoping to see Hall with Horcoff and Hemsky again tonight, as that line looked pretty good in the Joey Moss Cup, and Hall and Horcoff seem to have a bit of chemistry. I even wouldn’t mind seeing someone else on that right wing, and have Hemsky instead playing with Pääjärvi. I won’t hold my breath on that one. I love it when we play teams in the East though… Hemsky seems to come alive, so I’m looking for a big game from him and whomever is lucky enough to play with him.

EDIT: Lines are up now… here they are…

Edmonton Oilers Lineup

Ohlund – Clark
Vernace – R. Jones
Mihalik – Gudas

Ellis
Tokarski

POST-GAME REPORT

Wow, what a game. Let me first qualify this by reminding everyone (including myself) that this was a pretty poor Lightning lineup. They dressed the scraps tonight. So I’m trying to quell my own excitement, but man is Paajarvi good, or what?? I’d call him Hemsky light, but at 19 he seems to be far ahead of the Hemsky development curve (I’m not saying better than Hemsky today, but better than Hemsky at 19).

So my 3 stars for tonight (tip of the hat to Zack) are: Paajarvi, Paajarvi, Paajarvi.

Paajarvi’s first goal was a beauty. Well, up until the finish. They don’t remember how, they just remember how many. He picked up the puck leaving the Oilers zone, cut through a line of defence at the blue line in alone on Elli$, and whiffed on a wrister. But somehow it slid under Elli$.

On his second goal, Penner threaded a pass through a seam from the corner to the top of the other faceoff circle where Paajarvi hammered a one timer past Elli$.

On his third goal, it was probably another one he didn’t have business scoring, but it was a good individual effort to carry it in the zone, open up the defender and fire it through his legs past a screened Elli$ who watched it cruise past him.

On his assist, he made a good seam pass to Foster, at the blueline who wristed a hard pass on net to a fast approaching Cogliano, who tipped it in.

Aside from Paajarvi, Petiot was also a standout player tonight. He ate up nearly 20 minutes. I had no clue about this guy, to be honest. But I thought he played a very solid game that didn’t contain too many mistakes, if any. He even got over 6 mins of PK time with which he had no goals scored on his watch. He also looked very cool and collected on the powerplay, even bailing out Gilbert who got beat pinching in (wasn’t a bad play by Gilbert though). He seems to have a good set of wheels too.. very fluid skater. He probably will stay the year in Oklahoma City, but I think he is a great pickup for the Barons and may even get some call ups in which he can be counted on.

What about Taylor Hall?

He had a pretty good game tonight. Hemsky and him work well together. Hemsky was doing everything in his power to try and set the kid up. Hall scored a goal, much to the fans delight, in the 3rd period, short handed when Elli$ took matters into his own hands trying to clear it. Elli$ attempted to flip the puck out of the zone, but couldn’t get it past Hall as he knocked it down, carried it in and went around Elli$.

He also rang one off the post in the first on a hard wrister from the top of the circle and had another quality chance as well. I’d say he had a good game that drew compliments from the TSN staff.

121 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 5, Lightning 2 – Pre-season Game 2 – 2010-09-23 @ 7:00 PM – TSN”

1. Ktown says:

I’m thinking Hemmer feels pretty comfortable with a dish to Hall… good defensive play to keep that pass from connecting.

2. john says:

Racki: Hemsky selfless, like Horcs the other night… tried to set up Hall, when he had a better chance to score, himself.

Yup, Hemmer shoulda shot it, would have caught Ellis off guard but I guess I don’t blame him,

3. oilinblood says:

Halls goal was a high stick but officials let it slide (Gags obviously hit the puck way above his shoulder before Hall grabbed it and went in).

Dont know if someone else caught the huge high tip when Gags was going for it but it was obvious connection.

Hats off to Hall and PJV

john:

5-1 in a pre-season game.. if Hemsky shoots that one, I call him out on not being a team player though. lol

6. john says:

Racki: I’m taking Paajarvi first overall in both pools (just kidding). Before I get too excited, the first goal was lucky to go in.. although he deserved it with that effort.. 3rd goal shouldn’t have gone in, but I love that he isn’t afraid to shoot, and it was a nice shot.

That 1st goal was classic Hemsky shoot out rope-a-dope lol

LOL exactly John. I said it earlier somewhere that it was very Hemsky-esque.. for several reasons.

8. Ktown says:

Not JDD’s fault on that… bouncing off the side of the net… good job by Ashton to get a blade on that thing… whatcha gunna do?

9. Ktown says:

Nice… that was fun to watch!!

‘night all!

Well thanks for joining me for the Magnus show, folks. Time to write my post game wrap up.

11. john says:

Yup I go to bed with visions of hat tricks going through my head, later all.

12. otto says:

That was a damn fun game to watch. I haven’t cheered like that for the Oilers in too long.

13. oilinblood says:

I thought Hemmer actually looked pretty bad the first period, maybe the whole first half. On two plays he didnt pass to Hall when Hall was streaking and in a nice lane with speed…only to pass to HAll ten seconds later when Hall was completely covered (having had to slow down) and way too close to have a pass worthwhile (and if anything in regular season a short pass like that could be a ticket for having your lights knocked out).
    Hemsky was trying to be the good guy at the end of the night but at the beginning i dont know wtf he was thinking.

Hall and MPS both palyed really good last night, and Hemsky looked good too. Penner needs to get going, as he looked kinda rusty during that game. I like Foster and Belle though, they both played well last night, and Belle could win his way onto this team. DD didn’t have a great game and he worries me, but he still had 19 saves on 20 shots, so no big deal.

Hopefully we see Khabibulin play soon, as he is gonig to be our starter and we need to see him a little bit this pre-season. I heard 2 games this pre-season is what he will play.

Also, Jordan Eberle played well against Vancouver in game 1, but I hope he gets a goal or an assist soon. MPS and Hall looked NHL ready to me, I’m still waiting to watch Eberle live at the NHL level. Lets hope he has a good last 4 pre-season games.

Big thing I noticed last night (other than Pääjärvi’s awesomeness) is that Hall is going to die unless he learns to keep his head up.

Also, Omark looked good for the 4th line but I would like to see more from him, and Eberle needs to play better. Eberle had some moments but didn’t look to be in the play as much as some others.

That Greg Stewart looks to be a gamer though.

And finally, even though he’s doing his pre-season “don’t give a shit” routine, Hemsky is still the best player by far on this team. And he was the best PK’er we had last night.

Eberle wasn’t in the lineup last night, was he?

That might be why you didn’t notice him as much? as for the moments he did have, that’s impressive!!! Or did you mean to say Brule?

lol :p

Yes I realize that Eberle wasn’t in the lineup last night…I’m talking about all the players here. (Same with Greg Stewart)

Eberle has been good at times. I think he’ll be OK, so far he’s looked fine. He’s just not standing out like Hall or Paajarvi, quite as much. He’s had a couple of flashy moves, but for the most part what he does doesn’t have the same wow factor, but he does OK. My only issue with him is that he looks his size out there. Gets pushed off the puck a bit easy and has troubles battling.. but that will improve with age.

Omark.. yes.. I’m liking what I see there too. His biggest issue is that he doesn’t have enough ice time to work with to impress and get momentum. But he looks to be making a case to stick around.

Stewart also looked good… very gritty. I also really was surprised with Richard Petiot last night. Solid brand of D, has good wheels and is pretty cool/collected.

P.S., Steve-O did lots of acid in the 60s and is currently still watching the 1980s Oilers play. Kidding… I caught that he meant the games as a whole, not just last night ;) But I made fun of him here at work too for that unclear comment.

Steve-O: Yes I realize that Eberle wasn’t in the lineup last night…I’m talking about all the players here.(Same with Greg Stewart)

ahhh, since you’re the smart one running this show, I shoulda known that’s what you meant.

20. MetalOil says:

Pitlick assigned to the Med Hat Tigers. More cuts on the way. I was impressed with Tyler, probably just a development year or two away.

On Twitter I saw a comment saying that there was some talk of sending Pitlick to the AHL instead.

They could have done that too, since he wasn’t drafted into Junior. But there’s no need to rush the kid.