GDT: Oilers 5, Lightning 2 – Pre-season Game 2 – 2010-09-23 @ 7:00 PM – TSN

By , September 23, 2010 9:32 am
Go, tim bits, go

Go, tim bits, go

So here it is… the first “real” game situation for Taylor Hall in an Oilers uniform, vs. another NHL team. The fans should be pretty jacked up about this one, and those of us at home can all have the luxury of being able to watch this one on TSN.

No word on lines or anything just yet, but I’m hoping to see Hall with Horcoff and Hemsky again tonight, as that line looked pretty good in the Joey Moss Cup, and Hall and Horcoff seem to have a bit of chemistry. I even wouldn’t mind seeing someone else on that right wing, and have Hemsky instead playing with Pääjärvi. I won’t hold my breath on that one. I love it when we play teams in the East though… Hemsky seems to come alive, so I’m looking for a big game from him and whomever is lucky enough to play with him.

EDIT: Lines are up now… here they are…

Edmonton Oilers Lineup

Ohlund – Clark
Vernace – R. Jones
Mihalik – Gudas

Ellis
Tokarski

POST-GAME REPORT

Wow, what a game. Let me first qualify this by reminding everyone (including myself) that this was a pretty poor Lightning lineup. They dressed the scraps tonight. So I’m trying to quell my own excitement, but man is Paajarvi good, or what?? I’d call him Hemsky light, but at 19 he seems to be far ahead of the Hemsky development curve (I’m not saying better than Hemsky today, but better than Hemsky at 19).

So my 3 stars for tonight (tip of the hat to Zack) are: Paajarvi, Paajarvi, Paajarvi.

Paajarvi’s first goal was a beauty. Well, up until the finish. They don’t remember how, they just remember how many. He picked up the puck leaving the Oilers zone, cut through a line of defence at the blue line in alone on Elli$, and whiffed on a wrister. But somehow it slid under Elli$.

On his second goal, Penner threaded a pass through a seam from the corner to the top of the other faceoff circle where Paajarvi hammered a one timer past Elli$.

On his third goal, it was probably another one he didn’t have business scoring, but it was a good individual effort to carry it in the zone, open up the defender and fire it through his legs past a screened Elli$ who watched it cruise past him.

On his assist, he made a good seam pass to Foster, at the blueline who wristed a hard pass on net to a fast approaching Cogliano, who tipped it in.

Aside from Paajarvi, Petiot was also a standout player tonight. He ate up nearly 20 minutes. I had no clue about this guy, to be honest. But I thought he played a very solid game that didn’t contain too many mistakes, if any. He even got over 6 mins of PK time with which he had no goals scored on his watch. He also looked very cool and collected on the powerplay, even bailing out Gilbert who got beat pinching in (wasn’t a bad play by Gilbert though). He seems to have a good set of wheels too.. very fluid skater. He probably will stay the year in Oklahoma City, but I think he is a great pickup for the Barons and may even get some call ups in which he can be counted on.

What about Taylor Hall?

He had a pretty good game tonight. Hemsky and him work well together. Hemsky was doing everything in his power to try and set the kid up. Hall scored a goal, much to the fans delight, in the 3rd period, short handed when Elli$ took matters into his own hands trying to clear it. Elli$ attempted to flip the puck out of the zone, but couldn’t get it past Hall as he knocked it down, carried it in and went around Elli$.

He also rang one off the post in the first on a hard wrister from the top of the circle and had another quality chance as well. I’d say he had a good game that drew compliments from the TSN staff.

121 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 5, Lightning 2 – Pre-season Game 2 – 2010-09-23 @ 7:00 PM – TSN”

Hall on the top line with Gagner and Hemsky. Should be interesting. That could be a good line vs. East teams.

2. Dman says:

I think I’m a little more interested in the second line and the 4th line. 2nd line could easily take the game over. I still think Cogs has a lot of potential to be good at all aspects of the game. I’m not so sure about the defense but if they falter then it should give the coaches a good idea of the defensive abilities of the forwards.

Hey Dman…

Yah that 2nd line does sound interesting. Any time Penner is on a line, the danger level is increased. I’m interested in how Paajarvi and he will be together. Cogliano, I always like too. I still don’t think he’s a good choice at center though. But it’s only pre-season.. now’s the time to figure out if he can do it.

4. Ktown says:

These lines look great for a preseason game. I’ve been saying that Pitlick was a great pick up, and while I don’t expect him on the squad this season, I don’t anticipate it being too long. This kid’s a gamer.

I’m going to be really interested in seeing him with Omark.

The only question mark on that is the choice of MacIntyre on that line. I like Big Mac, and I think he did really well last night against the Nucks, but I don’t think he’s going to be a good compliment for Omark and Pitlick. My guess is he’s just there to open up space and protect once he catches up with the play.

First and second lines should be fun to watch, too.

I think Steve-O got it right, on MacIntyre (convo we had at work)…. he’s in the line up because we’ve got Hall, Omark, Gagner, Hemsky to name some small guys. Not at all a big line up. Need to make sure they don’t fuck around with our players.

And well, unfortunately line 4 is the only spot that makes sense for him.

6. otto says:

Aww, look at the little timbits!

*ahem*

On to real hockey.

It’ll be interesting to see how that first line does tonight ‘cus, honestly, I don’t know if I like Gags as the top line centre. But I guess that’s what the preseason is for. Also, it would’ve been fun to put Brule with Cogs and Paajarvi just to see how fast they can be together.

And Dubie starting again? He’s been getting a lot more ice time the JDD. Interesting that they’re doing that.

I would imagine though that like last night, they’ll swap goaltenders mid way through, so Deslauriers comes in cold.

8. Dman says:

Well maybe they weren’t impressed with his goal tending last night and they want to have a second look right away. I think big Mac could become more of a player if he worked at it. His work with the puck isn’t horrible and the fact that hes lost some weight this summer could mean that he is trying to become more than just an enforcer. Drop some weight, add some more speed and then just work on the hands and offensive positioning. It could happen. Maybe not to a first or second line position but very possible to make into a third line role someday.

I also have to agree, I like Pitlick and the way he plays. It would be really nice to see him in Barons lineup this year. I dont think he has a chance of making the oilers this year, not with the other guys competing for the spots.

Hartikenen or however you spell his name has actually disappointed me, I think he is a much better player than what he has shown so far. Hopefully he picks it up and relaxes a little.

Yah I agree that Hartikainen is better than what we’ve seen. I did see him play good in one of the Young Stars games though. I guess it’s just not his year this year though (unless he’s a call up).

Tom Renney says Khabibulin is ready to play, but the job right now is to evaluate. So obviously they are looking to make decisions on Deslauriers/Dubnyk/Gerber

11. otto says:

Lol! He makes it sound like ‘Bulin needed time to sober up or something.

Deslauriers starts, per Dregor, btw.. Tencer had Doobie starting in his earlier line ups.

otto: Lol! He makes it sound like ‘Bulin needed time to sober up or something.

DT’s are a bitch

Oops, did I say that out loud?
    All the other stuff aside, hopefully they get him going soon, he needs to be evaluated too, especially coming off surgery.

LateNightOilFan: DT’s are a bitch

I hear that you sweat a lot. :P

chucker: I hear that you sweat a lot.

LOL, it’s all starting to make sense now…

otto: Lol! He makes it sound like ‘Bulin needed time to sober up or something.

LOL, after hearing the interview, I get that sense “as we’re making sure he’s ready roll…”

He seriously did say that he thinks he’s ready to go though and is just treating it as though nothing happened.

17. otto says:

Roll without hurling. Haha!

Anyhoo, yeah, I’m not too concerned about ‘Bulin. I think as long as he’s up to par physically he’ll play decent but the health is a ticking time bomb. My sense, again this year, is that it’s not a matter of ‘if’ he gets injured but ‘when’.

Yup. But on a good note, he will feel like he has a lot to prove to everyone.. so he should play good in games he plays. Even Souray surprised us the one year, staying healthy

Pouliot 3 – Oilers 2

If Pouliot gets a hat trick, I’m going to be sick.

Oh you just know Pouliot will score or create some kind of memorable play/hit. It’s Oilers karma.

Gonna have to record this one, just realized my son has tryouts starting at 10pm, same time as the game here. So I’ll likely not be around tonight, I want to start the game from the beginning when I get home.

chucker: Oh you just know Pouliot will score or create some kind of memorable play/hit.It’s Oilers karma.

Racki: I’m pretty sure we’ll hear about it. Steve-O will do up a long post about how we should have dropped some random player and hung onto Pouliot.

Does he have a Pouliot jersey? :P

I think he has his cell #

The Oil have re-assigned Abney to the Dub

Racki: The Oil have re-assigned Abney to the Dub

no shocker there

Yah not really a shocker. I was kinda hoping to see him scrap again, but oh well. Given his age, probably not the best idea to pit him against NHLers anyways, I suppose.

29. dawgtoy says:

I wanna see how Cogs does with a fellow speedster in Pääjärvi and someone that can put the puck in the net in Penner. Wow does Tampa have a bunch of nobodies playing tonight. Should be a Hall of a game.

Five bucks say Connolly gets injured.

Tencer > Gregor… Doobie starts

Hi, please rub in how we picked Pouliot over every legitimately awesome player, Gord…

Gagner and Hemsky on the PK.. interesting.. but it’s pre-season.. good time to test that.

34. dawgtoy says:

Oilers look flat…oops…post, nice shot.

Moved your post to the Lightning thread ;)

Nice play on the PK by Reddox there

Gawdamnit… Fee dies on me and comes back just as Paajarvi blows through 3 guys and whiffs one past Elli$, Hemsky style

Is Dubnyk trying to emulate Deslauriers with his puckhandling outside the crease?

Wow, beautiful tick-tac-toe play. Paajarvi to Foster to Cogliano who redirects it in. 1g, 1a for Paajarvi so far this period.

But just to ensure balance, Dubnyk looks like he had a lobotomy tonight.

Good period.

40. Mr.Majestyk says:

Good evening folksies. Entertaining first period. What a Marchant like goal by Cogliano! Seriously though, goals like that are the reason Cogliano probably doesn’t want to settle for being a role player.

I hope Paajarvi gets interviewed and when commenting on his goal says “I meant to do that”.

LOL, his goal was pretty fantastic. It reminded me of Hemsky for two reasons:

- No one on our team can cut through the zone/players like that, than Hemsky
    - No one can whiff on a shot but still have it go under the goalie and in the net like Hemsky (shootout last year)

42. Ktown says:

WTF!? This started at 6?

FML… I thought 7, but apparently that was for you flatlanders… crap.

What did I miss… *sigh*… Pacific Time can be a bitch just like LNOF’s DTs…

43. Mr.Majestyk says:

Looks like Omark has that same kind of ability. That one play where he drew the slashing call, man, he got a pretty decent shot off just standing still. It was like he deked out the D while standing in place.

GO OILERS!

Yah Mr. M, I agree… he’s done similar nice moves like that a couple of times now. Does he have the ability to finish that though? I think so..

I’m still blown away that we got Paajarvi at 10. That might make up for years of stupid draft moves in the 90s.

Bostonoiler: Paajarvi’s goal was nice to see. He looks good so far. Nice to see Cogs right out in front of the net too. All in all a good first period by the Oilers. Hall looked good also. DD needs to stop that goal, but all in all he didn’t look too bad.
    Question for everyone, I missed the game last night, how did Eberle look? One article told me he looked bad and shouldn’t play in the NHL, but rather the AHL this year. Can anyone shed some light on that?GO OILERS!

Eberle wasn’t bad at all. He played a lot around the perimeter and wasn’t much of a factor, but anyone that says shit like that after one pre-season game probably shouldn’t be writing hockey material, unless it was a catastrophic game (which it wasn’t even close to being)

47. Ktown says:

Ebs looked good in the 1st last night, but took a big hit near the end of the period. After that he wasn’t really noticeable until about midway through the 3rd.

Didn’t look great, but didn’t look bad. Looked like a pretty decent young player in his first preseason game of the year.

Had a beauty setup to Horcoff on the pp cross-crease that Hamhuis managed clip just enough to throw off Horc’s timing.

All in all, I’d give Ebs a B for the game last night, but far from a failing grade that you heard, Bo…

Yup, what Ktown said.

Tencer just tweeted saying that Ryan Jones is day to day with an injury, thus why he hasn’t played this or last game.

Petiot has been impressive this shift. Very cool headed.