GDT: Oilers 3, Canucks 2 – Pre-season Game 1 – 2010-09-22 @ 8:00 PM – SNET ONE

By , September 22, 2010 3:13 pm
Knocked him the f--- out!!!!

Knocked him the f--- out!!!!

Well, it’s the first game of the pre-season… this should be exciting. Or not… our team is laden with knuckle draggers and grinders, while the Canucks are icing a good team. But here are the lineups (per Jason Gregor at Oilers Nation).

Edmonton Oilers lineup

Hamhuis/Edler
Albers/Ehrhoff
L. Sweatt/Connaughton or
(Ellington-Ramsay)

Luongo
Schneider

Should be an ugly one. I like the looks of our top line, but beyond that it’s pretty weak. Come on Doobie….

POST GAME SUMMARY

Grit. Determination. Guys wanting to win an NHL spot. That’s what this game was about tonight. Great performance by the Oil tonight, highlight by solid goaltending by Gerber, a strong game by the top line, some offensive power from unlikely sources such as the 4th line, and a nice beatdown by O’Marra on Connaughton. The Oil dominated most of this game, on some great performances by the blue collar guys. I was pretty impressed with Giroux as well too.. he’s a guy I’ll be keeping a close eye on.

Also, do the Oilers have an incredibly fortunate offensive blueline trio of Whitney, Gilbert and Foster, or what? I expect some big points from them, so long as they stay healthy.

188 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 3, Canucks 2 – Pre-season Game 1 – 2010-09-22 @ 8:00 PM – SNET ONE”

John: Remember what I said about Horcoff & “almost” putting it in? Ohhhhh Horcoff…

Yah but really, that first one, the defenceman was all over him and he was in tight. That second one (the one where it trickled past him) he could’ve had though and should have. But it happens to the best sometimes too. No reason for concern just yet.

Racki: Bonuses don’t count to the upper cap limit.. do they count at the floor? I’m not sure.. for some reason I think they do, but I can’t recall, and really they shouldn’t.

As I understand it so long as the bonuses are earnable they count towards the daily cap calc. I’d have to double check though

Wow, didn’t know O’mara had that in him. Could be an interesting end to the period.

O’Marra lays the beatdown on Connaughton

5. Haboiler says:

I don’t think they count against the cap floor since there is no guarentee they will be achieved.

LateNightOilFan:
    As I understand it so long as the bonuses are earnable they count towards the daily cap calc.I’d have to double check though

7. Ktown says:

Good to see that we’ve got guys in the system that aren’t gonna put up for that kinda play.

Definitely something that was missing last year.

8. Haboiler says:

O’Marra is fighting for a job. Lots of great battles this camp.

Bad pinch by Petry there.. almost cost them..

Oh shit, as Stewart gets a breakaway goal!

10. Haboiler says:

nice goal by Stewart! Great pass by Whitney!

What a pass by Whitney there.. wow

12. Ktown says:

Jeez… I was gonna say – how the heck do you give up a 3 on 1 on a PP!?

At least they turned it around for the breakaway and goal, but wow… huge breakdown there…

14. John says:

If we get that about 20 more times this year from Whitney I’ll forget all about Lubo !

Racki: You are probably right, only at the lower end though, of course. But that does sound familiar. I find it a little odd that it counts at the lower end, but not the upper end (well, until the next year)

Well, just going off the top of my head, they do count either way, so long as they are attainable, it’s just that if you go over the cap you can carry the excess over to the next year.

WOW, this guy makes the radio play exciting! I like his goal call…woooo! 3-2 Oil!

Damn, now I want to hear this CHED dude…

“innnnn ovvvverrrrrrrrrrrrrtiiiiiiiiiimeee!”

17. Haboiler says:

Racki: From what I can tell, yes, bonuses do count towards the cap floor. And really, they count to the upper limit too… it’s kind of a semantics thing, though. As we know, reached bonuses that push a club above the limit count to next year’s cap.

My bad, you are correct racki!

18. Haboiler says:

Wow Dubnyk is struggling a bit here…

Way to give everyone a heartattack there, doobie

where was the offside call there..

Oh yeah!!

Well folks, thanks for coming out… good to see this blue collar team win one!

23. otto says:

Doobie’s been channeling his inner JDD today.

Great win, though. I thought we were going to get slapped around the ice today.

24. Ktown says:

Well, some good takeaways. It looked like we were on the loose pucks pretty quickly, especially in our own end.

Good effort from our 4th line guys (I think I heard that MacIntyre is +2 on the night!?)

Gerber looked really solid in net.

I thought our defence did a pretty good job tonight, too…

So the Nucks had 2 split squad games with the Flames last night and lost both of them, now they lose to the ‘lowly Oilers’. Nice!

26. John says:

Yup that there is what you call a character win, good job squad B ! I’m out

LateNightOilFan: So the Nucks had 2 split squad games with the Flamers last night and lost both of them, now they lose to the ‘lowly Oilers’.Nice!

But I thought they were cup contenders?? :P (I know it’s still pre-season, but fun to poke fun anyways)

Racki: But I thought they were cup contenders?? (I know it’s still pre-season, but fun to poke fun anyways)

My theme this year is to get the maximum enjoyment from our victories, no matter when or how often they occur!

I do like the harder work ethic that is present on the Oilers. Looking forward to watching on TSN tomorrow night!

Thanks for the GDT!

Replace the second star with Whitney and third star could go to a few guys tonight! Big Mac +2?

30. oilinblood says:

oilinblood: I didnt like Jiroux one bit. He has NOT been impressive. I had hoped for more. Cut him.

Hoped for more from a guy who hasn’t broken into the NHL at 29? I got more than what I expected. This was just one game.. it’s not smart to cut a guy after one game when he’s one of the bubble guys being considered. I wouldn’t say he was spectacular, but I was impressed with him mostly because my expectations were low. He kept up to the play and got in good positions out there. Struggled from time to time, but I don’t think he was bad at all and definitely deserves a longer look.

Racki:

I completely agree with Racki on this one, and it’s Giroux, oilinblood. He really gave it to that poor Russian kid too. There were a few times where he seemed to click with Ebs and Horc.

I hope we see more of that type of player out of Horc, it looks promising. It was a pretty good line I’d say. I wonder how the OMB would react if he had a pretty darn good pre-season.

Oh and my mom and brother went to go see the boys skate the other weekend. She made a joke, something along the lines of… “Khabibulin has a new number.”

“Oh, does he?”

“Yeah, .35″

At first I didn’t see the . but then after I had to laugh.

The OMB would probably implode upon itself

“Can’t.. make fun of Horcoff… contract… less of a valid topic… *Dies*”

LOL… Way to go Zack’s mom

Racki: I thought Petry was pretty solid tonight, but I had no idea he logged 23 minutes. Of course playing with Whitney helps.

Petry is having a really good camp so far.

37. Ktown says:

Am I the only one that thought the hit by Giroux on Sedin wasn’t particularily dirty? I mean, yeah – he caught Daniel’s leg in an awkward spot, but it didn’t look like he was running him, and he was in the process of slowing down as they contacted…

Jeez… Listening to sportscasters here in BC, Giroux singlehandedly tried to submarine the Canucks season and should be banished to the nether realms… *sigh*

Bad hit? Yes.

Stupid play? Well, not the smartest, but not on the list of most boneheaded things I’ve seen.

Intentional attempt to injure? You’d have to work hard to convince me of that…

It is a heinous crime, punishable by death to even fart in the Sisters’ general direction, let alone make contact with their knees.