GDT: Oilers 3, Canucks 2 – Pre-season Game 1 – 2010-09-22 @ 8:00 PM – SNET ONE

By , September 22, 2010 3:13 pm
Knocked him the f--- out!!!!

Knocked him the f--- out!!!!

Well, it’s the first game of the pre-season… this should be exciting. Or not… our team is laden with knuckle draggers and grinders, while the Canucks are icing a good team. But here are the lineups (per Jason Gregor at Oilers Nation).

Edmonton Oilers lineup

Hamhuis/Edler
Albers/Ehrhoff
L. Sweatt/Connaughton or
(Ellington-Ramsay)

Luongo
Schneider

Should be an ugly one. I like the looks of our top line, but beyond that it’s pretty weak. Come on Doobie….

POST GAME SUMMARY

Grit. Determination. Guys wanting to win an NHL spot. That’s what this game was about tonight. Great performance by the Oil tonight, highlight by solid goaltending by Gerber, a strong game by the top line, some offensive power from unlikely sources such as the 4th line, and a nice beatdown by O’Marra on Connaughton. The Oil dominated most of this game, on some great performances by the blue collar guys. I was pretty impressed with Giroux as well too.. he’s a guy I’ll be keeping a close eye on.

Also, do the Oilers have an incredibly fortunate offensive blueline trio of Whitney, Gilbert and Foster, or what? I expect some big points from them, so long as they stay healthy.

188 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 3, Canucks 2 – Pre-season Game 1 – 2010-09-22 @ 8:00 PM – SNET ONE”

dawgtoy: Nice…Kat Von D

Yup. She’s naughty. Needs to be….n/m. :P

2. otto says:

gr8one: lol, the Gerber baby has more hair than Gerber.

Lol!

chucker:
    Yup.She’s naughty.Needs to be….n/m.

lol, even my wife has the hots for Kat.

4. John says:

Vandermeer looks real good, can’t wait to tell my Flamer buddy tomorrow lol.

6. otto says:

I love Doobie. He makes Luongo look short.

zackman35: Kesler rocked by Vandersmeer!And Racki what do you think of having a POTF 3 stars of the game?

I sometimes do it, or at least name the guys that I think were the better players. I like the idea, but it requires me to pay better attention than I sometimes already do, as I’m busy typing :P

This Boston Pizza commercial is gold

8. John says:

Racki: Who thought a Taylor / Chorney pairing would be a good idea? No offense to either player, but Chorney doesn’t seem to get any breaks. They seem fine though…

Is it only me that finds it funny that Chorney looks better playing against Vancouver’s top line than he did in an Oiler intersquad scrimmage? Lol

john: lol, no you aren’t alone there.

hah, uh.. bad decision by Giroux there to cut across the blueline

Racki:
    This Boston Pizza commercial is gold

“Lets give cooking the finger!” I don’t know whats better, that line or when the kid is painting the picture.

This 4th line is deadly. lol

I miss Canadian television. :(

The commercials are so much better.

zackman35:

hahah yah.. I love the finger part though

I’m thinking we will have no issues with our bottom six compete levels this year. Also OKC will be good.

Jeff Petry needs to work on the interviews. lol

Gene: “Quick question, what’s it like to play against the Sedins?”

Petry stammers: “I don’t know..”

chucker: I’m thinking we will have no issues with our bottom six compete levels this year.Also OKC will be good.

Yah there seems to be some good competition for bottom six guys, which actually surprises me.. I didn’t expect that. I was hoping for it, but after watching yesterday’s game, I thought maybe we’d be in trouble there..

Racki, you had a poll about a chatbox. Not to spam or anything, but if you want to try it out, go to oilersgameday.info I’m a mod there. :P Robonerd set it up.

19. otto says:

chucker: Racki, you had a poll about a chatbox.Not to spam or anything, but if you want to try it out, go to oilersgameday.info I’m a mod there. Robonerd set it up.

Oh shit, I forgot about that. Haha.

yeah, those chatbox things are pretty groovy for GDT’s.

Oilers Jambalaya has one too.

Tambi i-view on CHED atm.

Racki, love the GDT thread pic too, btw. lol

Yah I just need to find a decent one to use.. no ad crap or anything. I’ll put some effort into it later, just wanted to see if it was something people were interested in.

Shirokov vs. Giroux = lolz

Yeah Giroux, pounding the non fighter. Kinda scary for Nucks fans.

26. Ktown says:

I haven’t noticed Ebs much since the first period… just me?

But Storts and MacIntyre have looked pretty decent for their paygrade IMO.

LateNightOilFan: Tambi – didn’t like not having enough NHL level goalies to go to last year once Khabi went down. Huh.Also re Souray – not sure what he’s talking about with teams left to get to the floor?

Hah, wow, horrible Oilers PK… Horrrrible. How do 2 guys get in alone while the play is in our zone?

29. Ktown says:

Yeah, Daniel was so hurt, he could come out and play on the PP… *sigh*

Nice goal, Dank, but I believe the Premier League is looking for another striker…

Ktown: Vancouver sportscasters playing up that little leg hit on Sedin… a little bit of a lean, and a risky play, but didn’t look too dirty to me.I haven’t noticed Ebs much since the first period… just me?But Storts and MacIntyre have looked pretty decent for their paygrade IMO.

Has he been on the ice? he did get flatted in period 2 or whatever.. I actually haven’t noticed if he was even back since then..

Giroux, hits, shoots, fights. I declare him on the team.

Racki: What don’t you understand about the last comment re Souray? I didn’t hear the interview.. so fill me in and maybe I can give my 2 cents.

Tencer just asked for an update and he said something about teams are still trying to get to the floor and others trying to unload players to get under the cap, so there should be some conversations, etc. But there are no teams trying to get to the floor that I know of.

33. Ktown says:

Yeah, he took that nice hit near the end of the first, and then sorta disappeared. He’s been playing, but he hasn’t looked to confident…

Not an emergency, by any stretch, I just hope he didn’t really get his bell rung…

Horcs looks good, Giroux has been looking good with him, but Ebs has been on the perimeter for the most part since.

34. otto says:

LateNightOilFan:
    Tencer just asked for an update and he said something about teams are still trying to get to the floor and others trying to unload players to get under the cap, so there should be some conversations, etc.But there are no teams trying to get to the floor that I know of.

I thought the Islanders were still down there.

LNOF: Ahh yes, I believe you’re right.. Colorado might be… but barely below if they are at all.

otto: I thought the Islanders were still down there.

Nope, when they traded for Wiz & bought out Witt that put them over. Then they signed Weight as well. They’re about $3-$4m above the floor now.

Im sure you folks that heard the interview know this, but:

Tambellini just told me that there’s starting to be more discussion re: Souray. Lots of talks, but nothing firm enough to pull trigger yet.

And FYI, Islanders should be above the floor, currently. Only team is Colorado i think.. and they’re chump change below it.

Oh shit, what a play there on the PP but dammmmnnnnn Horc and Giroux couldn’t put it away.

P.S. notice Eberle now? lol

Wow, that was a pretty sick set up to bad they couldn’t punch the ticket. Shit.

Oh man, bad goal on Doobie there.

42. otto says:

Oh Doobie, that sucked.

I’m not even watching and that sounded like a bad one on DD

44. Haboiler says:

ah crap, just turned on the game to see DD miss that one… not good..

gr8one: As far as I can tell the cap floor this year is $43.4 million, and as per cap geek, Colrado is still just slightly under it, and the Islanders are just barely over it.

With their bonuses the Avs are above though

Someone needs to tune Samuelsson in. Hmm.. yes, keep chirping at Big Mac

47. John says:

Remember what I said about Horcoff & “almost” putting it in? Ohhhhh Horcoff…

LateNightOilFan:
    With their bonuses the Avs are above though

Bonuses don’t count to the upper cap limit.. do they count at the floor? I’m not sure.. for some reason I think they do, but I can’t recall, and really they shouldn’t.

49. Ktown says:

Yup, in and through his glove… Silver Lining – our PP looks just as good as last year…

Racki – yeah, caught Ebs on that one… Nice feed. Need more… LOL – I’m not impatient or anything…