Next wave of cuts…

By , September 27, 2010 3:00 pm
No one likes being cut

No one likes being cut

The Oilers announced the next wave of cuts today. They started by placing Gregory Stewart and Brad Moran on waivers (this is for the purpose of reassigning them to Oklahoma City). They then followed that up by assigning Teemu Hartikainen, Johan Motin, and Jake Taylor to Oklahoma. Jared Aulin has been released.

That leaves the Oilers with the following:

FORWARDS

57 Colin McDonald (AHL Contract)

# Name Height Weight Age

GOALTENDERS

# Name Height Weight Age
38 Jeff Deslauriers 6′ 4″ 201 26
40 Devan Dubnyk 6′ 6″ 202 24
29 Martin Gerber 6′ 0″ 205 36
35 Nikolai Khabibulin 6′ 1″ 206 37

Again, no surprises on the cuts today. Hartikainen is probably the biggest cut for today, but he had a tendency to disappear, in my opinion. Some time in Oklahoma will do him some good, and maybe he might be a call up for one of our bottom six players this year. The next set of cuts definitely get more difficult….

My thoughts on our opening roster and lines:

Paajarvi Gagner Hemsky
Hall Horcoff Eberle
Penner Brule Cogliano/Omark (if Cogliano moved)
Reddox Fraser Stortini

Whitney Gilbert
Smid Foster
Vandermeer Peckham

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

Reserves:
Strudwick
Jones
Belle

I think there is a very small and unlikely possibility that Cogliano is moved to free up a spot for Omark.. but it is more likely that he is sent to Oklahoma and is our first call up for skill players.

Defence is a tough choice. I think we carry 2 extra defencemen… one being Strudwick.. and only one extra forward. This lineup also doesn’t include Jacques. Not sure who he will push out. I haven’t seen much of Jones as of yet, so I wonder how big of a piece of the puzzle he will be. I’ve also left out Big Mac, whom I don’t believe really fits in well. But it is nice to have that nuclear deterrent. So if either of those two are in, things get even tougher as far as choices. I think Liam Reddox is the odd man out, in that case.

19 Responses to “Next wave of cuts…”

As much as I liked them at points, if I’m a betting man, the next cuts include: Ondrus, Giroux, McDonald, O’Marra, Vande Velde at forward. Defence will be a tough call, as will goaltending (but not in a good sense, in that case).

Unless I’m miscounting, those 5 cuts gets us to 15 forwards. JFJ is injured, but don’t see him going on LTIR.. so they’ll have to cut one more, and that’ll be a tougher choice.

Plus, there is a chance the Oil carry 8 d-men (including utility man Strudwick), limiting the forward slots by 1 more… not to mention if they decide to go with 3 goaltenders (which I don’t think they will) at the start of the season.

Edit: I’ve updated the post with my prediction on who makes the team.

2. MetalOil says:

I really hope they can find a way to sneak O’Mark onto the team. Really the best way to do this would be as you suggested moving Cogs. As much as I like Cogs and think he will have a good season He is clearly not cutting it as a center and I would rather see O’Mark play some NHL games in a top 9 forward role as he looks ready to me.

No real surprises there.

Yah I like Omark. I still question if he’s a team player though. But it’s too early for me to be thinking something like that. Guess we’ll see ;)

Per TSN’s Ryan Rishaug:

Jared aulin has been offered a tryout in oklahoma, but is weighing his options. No contract on the table.

6. Spartacus says:

I hadn’t thought of Omark’s name as even a bit Irish until I saw MetalOil’s post. Add an apostrophe and it changes everything; Linus O’Mark, the YouTube sensation from County Cork in the Province of Munster. O’Marra, O’Mark, & O’frickin’Sullivan… the all-Irish line?

Anyway… I’m glad to see Aulin was at least offered a tryout in Oklahoma. Based on his faceoff percentage alone, I would’ve thought OKC would jump on him.

Cogliano could be a very good hockey player, but not on this team. It doesn’t seem as though his round head is ever going to fit into the square hole they (coaching, management, braintrust, whoever) have him slotted into.

I can’t believe we’re going to carry three slugs on the roster this season. 3 contracts out of 50 to guys who can’t really play hockey. It IS nice to have MacIntyre around if you need him, and sure Strudwick seems like a great guy and a good shepherd/role model etc… But how do you explain the Oil’s fascination with Jacques?

7. Recycled Oil says:

I too was quesitoning the qualifying of JFJ, but his health is further along that originally anticipated. Him in the lineup is intimidating from a hitting standpoint. The guy, if healthy, would have more hits than the rest of the team combined, so we could use that. We’ll see I guess.

Recycled Oil: Racki – So you’re betting that they waive Souray and send him to OKC to free up a spot?

Well, I’m praying that they are able to move him before then. But that’s a good point on Souray. In my lineup, the only guy who isn’t waiver eligible (if not mistaken) is Omark. And really, I don’t see Cogliano being moved (and I’m a big fan of his, so I’m fine with that). And I’m not sure who would be worth risking on the waiver line, of the players above. Perhaps Reddox.. and I’m not sure if he is really waiver eligible or not.

But there aren’t many players I’d want to risk losing to get mediocre value out of Souray.

chucker: I too was quesitoning the qualifying of JFJ, but his health is further along that originally anticipated.Him in the lineup is intimidating from a hitting standpoint.The guy, if healthy, would have more hits than the rest of the team combined, so we could use that.We’ll see I guess.

There aren’t many people that seem to like Jacques. But I really like him in a limited checking (as in body checking, not the defensive sense of the word) and intimidation/enforcing role. I’d actually keep him over Big Mac. He isn’t a big bomb thrower like Mac, but he can still handle himself well and can keep up to the NHL game. His hands may be horrible, but that’s not what he’d be on the team for, if I’m keeping him around..

Spartacus: I hadn’t thought of Omark’s name as even a bit Irish until I saw MetalOil’s post.Add an apostrophe and it changes everything; Linus O’Mark, the YouTube sensation from County Cork in the Province of Munster.O’Marra, O’Mark, & O’frickin’Sullivan… the all-Irish line?Anyway… I’m glad to see Aulin was at least offered a tryout in Oklahoma.Based on his faceoff percentage alone, I would’ve thought OKC would jump on him.
    Cogliano could be a very good hockey player, but not on this team.It doesn’t seem as though his round head is ever going to fit into the square hole they (coaching, management, braintrust, whoever) have him slotted into.I can’t believe we’re going to carry three slugs on the roster this season.3 contracts out of 50 to guys who can’t really play hockey.It IS nice to have MacIntyre around if you need him, and sure Strudwick seems like a great guy and a good shepherd/role model etc…But how do you explain the Oil’s fascination with Jacques?

I guess see my post above. lol I don’t like him in the power forward role they had him in last year.. or Quinn envisioned him in. But as a guy out banging bodies and keeping players honest while playing completely dishonest, himself.. love it ;) His health is the only concern for me though.

10. John says:

So if Omarra gets cut again does that mean the Oilers will be done with him at/before the end of the season? Even though most of us don’t really talk about him he has been hanging around in the system as long as Schremp was hasn’t he? I know he came to us in the Smyth deal but he had already been a prospect for the Isles for a couple seasons. That means he’s been stuck in prospect purgatory for like 5 years now!

Tough to say. I don’t really like his chances on making the line up now, but I think if he’s patient he might eventually be a bottom six guy. But really, looking at our prospect pool, I’d rather see Pitlick and/or Vande Velde down the middle.

I wonder how long O’Marra can handle being in our system. To be honest, I thought he looked good last year, but this year, he just didn’t seem to be into it, or something. He’s fighting an uphill battle.

12. John says:

I would be ok with cutting him loose, he doesn’t provide the Oilers with anything they can’t get from other younger prospects like Pitlick/ Vande Velde like you mention. Kinda erases our return for Smytty (Grebs gone, Nilsson gone, O’Marra gone?) but I guess I have to get over it & move on sometime lol

We would be alone in the league if we managed to get something good out of every trade, especially for a guy who was going UFA that year.

Not every prospect works out, unfortunately.

However, we did also get Alex Plante for Ryan Smyth. I doubt he’ll have the career of a guy like Smyth, but I think he’s starting to come into his own and could be a guy of the future. He’s got a little bit of everything in his game.. physical.. offensive.. can play in his own zone.

But yes, we definitely didn’t get 100 cents on the dollar for that deal. Can’t win ‘em all ;)

I’m disappointed about O’Marra to be honest. And if what I’ve been hearing about him coming in to camp not in the best of shape is true, than there is only one conclusion to come to. The guy’s an idiot. I really thought he had a strong shot at making the team if he showed well.

He had a roster spot there for the taking, the Oilers obviously had hopes for him since they kept him around after the housecleaning yet let players like Pouliot/Potulny go, and he comes to camp out of shape?

That’s just retarded.

Yeah, I’d agree that O’Marra’s days as an Oiler prospect are drawing to a conclusion soon.

@ Racki, I agree on JFJ because the guy can skate well and can play hockey. At the time of the QO I was really thinking it sounded like he’d be out another full year, but that isn’t the case now. If he can stay healthy, he’s an asset. It’s his health that has always held him back.

I don’t think JFJ can play hockey…he has done nothing to indicate that he can. He’s just an agitator, not a power forward. Power forwards can score. JFJ can’t. He’s like a Stortini, with less scoring ability and he fights less.

JFJ shouldn’t be thought of as a power forward.. in my opinion, that’s where the Oilers have gone wrong. He should stay on the 4th line. I don’t see him as Stortini, I see him as MacIntyre with less ability that can play hockey. He’ll stand up for guys, take crazy liberties on hits to initiate stuff, and he’s fun to watch. Biggest problem is his injury pronededness. I’m not sure that is even a word, however.

18. NorwegianOiler says:

Agree on Jacques Racki, although my patience with him is wearing thin. His injury proneness (no d’s) may well have ruined his chances to become an NHLer, even one that ‘just’ crashes and bangs. But I do like his style when healthy, he got a few goals last year and really crushed some people. The energy and ferocity in his game looked to inspire the team a bit last year.

Ahhh, trust N.O., a Norwegian to teach me the ways of my complicated language. lol Thanks, my friend.

Anyways, you said it best. The injuries are a huge issue. As much as I like him, he’s on my cut list for that reason.