Last call for a pool party

By , September 21, 2010 3:16 pm

I'd have no problem with her in any of my locker rooms

Well, the Putting on the Foil pool filled up pretty quick (and it looks to be an awesome year) but there have been a few comments here and there about people that missed out.

So, due to this we are thinking about putting together another pool. Racki and myself (possibly Trogdor but I haven’t asked him yet) will be participating in this one as well, but it will only go forward if we can get at least 8-10 people.

Post a comment here if you are in.

Also, if anyone in the other pool wants in to a second one I’m sure we can do that, but obviously first dibs goes to those that may have missed out on the last one.

And again, if we don’t get enough people then we won’t go forward with this one.

75 Responses to “Last call for a pool party”

ok haboiler, invite sent! :)

yeah, once you’re in one league, managing any additional ones really isn’t that much extra time/effort, because you already know all the injuries/trends/etc…so it’s just a matter of quick adjustments.

2. Haboiler says:

All signed up…

Hey quick question, what are the points worth for each stat? From my understanding were basing it on…

Goals (G), Assists (A), Points (P), Plus/Minus (+/-), Penalty Minutes (PIM), Powerplay Points (PPP), Game-Winning Goals (GWG), Shots on Goal (SOG), Hits (HIT), Blocks (BLK)

Cause if we’re basing it on Hits/Blocks then I have to change my line up a bit depending on how much they’re worth. .25pt(s) per hit or something? Thanks in advance! Pretty stoked about the draft and what’s the draft order?

Other than the goalie stats, which are pretty self explanatory, each hit, goal, point, etc are all worth one…

It’s a head to head league, so you don’t actually get points for each goal, or point, or hit, etc, etc, scored.

Each week we are matched up against another team, and at the end of the week, whoever has the most in each category, gets one point for that category.

For instance, If I’m playing Racki one week, and at the end of the week my team has scored 10 goals cumulatively, and Racki’s scores 12, he gets one point for the goal category. But if I had more hits that week, I’d get a point for that category.

Example.

Goals: Me:10 Racki:12 (Racki gets one point)
    Assists: Me:22 Racki:20 (I’d get one point)
    Points: Me:32 Racki:32 (Tie, no point given)
    +/-: Me:+4 Racki:-2 (one point for me)
    PIMS: Me:28 Racki: 30 (One point for Racki)
    PPP: Me:8 Racki: 10 (One point for Racki)
    GWG: Me:3 Racki:1 (One point for me)
    SOG: Me:45 Racki: 40 (One point for me)
    Hits: Me: 25 Racki: 20 (One point for me)
    Blocks: Me:15 Racki 18 (One point for Racki)
    Wins: Me: 5 Racki: 3 (One point for me)
    GAA: Me: 3.55 Racki: 2.25 (One point for Racki)
    Shutouts: Me:1 Racki:0 (One point for me)

So, Tally up those points and I’d win that week with a score of 6-5 and we’d both get a point for a tie.

Hope that makes sense!!

As for draft order, it’s randomly selected about a half hour before the draft.

Ah, I can see clearly now, the rain is gone! However even though you have won that head to head match up you’d both get your 7,6 points respectively?

yes, that is correct, they then go to the overall standings…

like let’s say my above example is week 1, and you and haboiler were matched up and you beat him 9-4, the standings would then be

**EDIT**

The scoring is actually 2 points for a win, and 1 point for a tie.

so the points would add up to:

Zackman-9×2=18
    me-6×2(+1 for one tied category) = 13
    Racki-5×2(+1 for one tied category) = 11
    Haboiler-4×2= 9 (sorry haboiler :p)

So, week 2 satndings for the four of us would be:

Zack: 18
    Me:13
    Racki: 11
    HabO: 8

Yahoo actually also has some pretty good resources and explanations.

I don’t mind answering questions at all, but the following link might actually answer questions more articulately than I could.

7. Mr.Majestyk says:

The head to head is interesting because sometimes your players can have an amazing week, but all it takes is for your opponent to have a slightly better week and you get screwed. I definitely found that some weeks I struggled because maybe some of your roster players only play twice that week, or whatever the case may be. Also, there’s the odd time that the player is injured but the team takes forever to place them on IR.

Mr.Majestyk: The head to head is interesting because sometimes your players can have an amazing week, but all it takes is for your opponent to have a slightly better week and you get screwed.I definitely found that some weeks I struggled because maybe some of your roster players only play twice that week, or whatever the case may be.Also, there’s the odd time that the player is injured but the team takes forever to place them on IR.

Yeah, all of that is true…although, the law of averages usually makes up for the point you made about sometimes your roster players have less games in a given week. Last year seemed particularly odd with lots of games some weeks, and less others…I think due to the Olympics messing the sched. up a bit.

The IR issue can definitely be annoying, yahoo is usually really good at updating the IR lists, but they won’t put a player on IR until the team officially does, and it can be frustrating sometimes like you say, especially because it seems to me with such high salaries and the cap, you’d think the teams would want that dealt with ASAP.

Got all my injured players removed!!

chucker: Got all my injured players removed!!

Is there a way to do that or are you just saying you’ve gone over the injuries to know who’s out? I’m just gonna draft on the fly, tried a mock draft this afternoon. Haven’t had much time to get my thoughts together on a specific wish list this weekend.

Is it randomly chosen who you are up against each week so you go head to head with everyone during the season?

11. Mr.Majestyk says:

yeah, I didn’t research who is injured. Hopefully I won’t accidentally pick someone that is out for the season.

woot!

and LNOF, yes…you can rank players pre-draft and remove injured players and asshats like Souray so they don’t accidentally get drafted.

I didn’t research injured players either, which might explain how some guys were available when they were. But great draft, guys.. was fun..

Some of you were a bit trigger happy on the young kids.. we’ll see how that turns out!

FFS!!! My wireless connection crapped out in the middle of the draft. Half my team was on my list of players I selected to keep an eye on and it just drafted them.

I’ll be active on the waiver wire for sure. PERFECT TIMING.

GAWD!!

Ok, so now that the draft is over, I just want to make sure everyone knows how to set their rosters and such.

If anyone needs help and has any questions, just let me know, It can feel kind of overwhelming at first if you’ve never done it before, so please don’t hesitate.

Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question…ok, yes there is, and if you ask one, I promise to make fun of you lots, but it might be worth some ridicule if it helps your team!!!

Good luck all!!!

and Chucker, that really sucks. :(

Yah that sucks. At least you didn’t get shafted like Samus though. He was on autodraft and sucked up all the greats like Streit, Souray, Savard, Carey Price… Bobby Lou.. he should have fun.

Hoooooooah shit.. wow.. that is some roster, Chucker. lol Sorry man.

Yeah, I looked at Chucker’s roster too, but refrained from making him feel any worse like you Racki. lol

Souray could still end up being an ok pick if he finds a home…

I’m not afraid to be a jerk and tell it like it is. And really, you’re all going to lose to me anyways.. at least Chucker will have an excuse.

20. Haboiler says:

Just want to confirm if this is right or not…. I can make 3 changes within my existling lineup per week right?

The three move player limit only applies to waiver wire/free agent pickups.

Hope that answered your question.

I’m not sure if you guys even get the FX series “The League” in Canada, but if you have ever been in a fantasy league of any kind, or even if you haven’t…it’s freakin’ hilarious.

If ya’ll ever get a chance to see it, I’d recommend watching it…me and Mrs.gr8one actually watch it together and end up belly laughing hysterically pretty much every episode.

I just looked, and Hulu has it….

Looks like hulu won’t work outside of the US, but I’ll see if I can find an episode to check out..

Watching first episode.. some good laughs. Had a good chuckle when the guy tried to draft Joffrey Reynolds from the Calgary Stampeders in the NFL pool. lol

25. Haboiler says:

gr8one: Hmmm, not sure what you mean HabO, but if you’re talking about moving your players off of the bench, to the active roster, then no…you can move around your current players as much as you want, and you absolutely should move them around to make sure that you have maximum players playing on any given night.The three move player limit only applies to waiver wire/free agent pickups.Hope that answered your question.by the way, what I find works best…is I chose Sunday, just because I generally have free time on Sundays, and the fantasy week matchup goes from Monday to Sunday.So every Sunday, I go to each day of the upcoming week on my roster and make sure all of my players are playing, and not being wasted on the bench, some days like Saturdays when there are lots of games scheduled, you’ll need to decide which players you want played and which you want benched since you’ll probably have more players with games than roster spots.So, once you’ve got your rosters set for the week, that’s it…just keep on eye on injuries and/or slumps of some of your fringe players and go back and make adjustments if you feel it’s necessary.As far as waivers go, if you have a player that you wished you’d not have drafted, or gets hurt and you want to replace him, you can go to the available player list and add/drop them. This is what you have a maximum of three per week, and really, most weeks you won’t need any of those moves unless you start trying to be a douche and stack your roster every week, but that’s another story.we all each have one available Injured Reserve(IR) spot on our teams, which is there for a situation like say you have Ovechkin on your roster and he gets hurt and is going to be out for two months, and you obviously don’t just want to drop Ovie for Rich Peverly and than not have Ovie back when he recovers, you can place him on your IR spot, and he will remain there until you remove him, without taking up a roster spot. So in other words, you can put Ovie there, and go grab a player from waivers to take his spot while he’s hurt, and then when he’s healthy again you just drop the player you replaced him with and take Ovie off of IR.

Perfect that answers my question! I saw the 3 changes per week and wasn’t sure if it was add/drops or within your team. Thanks!