GDT – 2010 Joey Moss Cup – Sep. 21, 2010 @ 7:00PM – Webcast

By , September 21, 2010 8:21 am
The most prestigious cup in hockey...

The most prestigious cup in hockey...

Tonight the Oilers take part in the Joey Moss Cup at Rexall Place at 7:00PM. This is one of my favorite events the Oilers host. Joey moss has served 25 years with the Oilers and I don’t have to tell anyone just how big of an icon he has been for us.

The Oilers cut their roster down by 20 players yesterday, so here are the teams:

Team Blue

28 Jones – 68 Pitlick – 23 Omark

6 Whitney – 58 Petry
37 Petiot – 2 Vandermeer
41 Chorney – 48 Plante

30 Roy
29 Gerber

I like the idea of trying out Hall with Horcoff and Hemsky, as that has been a trio that many of us have penciled in our mock-lineups. The same goes for Penner Gagner and Eberle, for me. I think Penner is the perfect complement for those two. I’m also interested to see a pairing of Whitney and Petry together and anxious to see Petry live. We’ll also get a taste of things likely to come in a Smid – Foster pairing.

*-I’ll give a slight edge to Team White, even though Hemsky is on Team Blue. It should be a good game though.

Who do you folks think will win this thing tonight? (voting now works on all themes, btw..)

Who will win tonight's Joey Moss Cup?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

* – thanks to you folks who catch every one of my post-mistakes. I didn’t know you guys actually read this crap..

53 Responses to “GDT – 2010 Joey Moss Cup – Sep. 21, 2010 @ 7:00PM – Webcast”

Who’s going to this game, btw??

I’ll be going tonight, along with a buddy of mine, Trogdor and Steve-O. Should be a great time. I know morale is at an all time low in Oilerland, but hopefully this one is a packed house.

2. Haboiler says:

I heading out with the wife and 2 other couples. Looking forward to seeing a few players other than the big 3: Roy, Pitlick, Giroux and Hartikainen.

Should be fun. Best get there early to get a decent seat!

3. Mr.Majestyk says:

Webcast

And yah, I agree.. kind of strange that Giroux, the guy with skating issues, is lined up with MPS and Cogs.

5. Dman says:

Team white has a goaltending advantage, I see team blue with an offensive advantage and I think they are pretty even on defense. Can’t wait to see eberle play. I think that line has the potential to dominate.

6. John says:

Mr.Majestyk: The knock on Giroux is that he’s not the greatest skater, so they have him on a line with Magnus and Cogs? Should be interesting. Is this getting a live stream tonight or just for those who can go see it?

Maybe they want to test MPS, see how he handles the frustration of not being able to use his speed to his advantage!

At a glance it looks like both teams are fairly well balanced, Blue might have the stronger goaltending so I give them the edge.

Stauffer suspects Khabi, Steve Mac, Strudwick.. and HALL scratches tonight. Grrrrrrr!! (via a RossCreek twit, retwatted by David Staples). Not sure if this is actually true though, in regards to Hall, as the Oil site has him listed with Horcoff/Hemsky.

8. Dman says:

I think they plan on putting Giroux on a line with a couple of guys that have speed to offset his slowness. The two of them can charge the zone with Giroux following. Provides a good situation for jumping on rebounds but also keeps him in a good defensive position should the puck get turned over.

I’ll go with the second team blue. The one at the bottom of the blog. (both are listed as team blue ;) )

Whatever are you talking about, Chucker??

Okay. That’s weird. Last visit to this page both teams above said “Team Blue”. Now the first one says team blue and the second team white. Hmmmmmm.

Anyways, I go with team white.

LOL, I edited it.. ;)

I knew it!! You and your sneaky computer programming ways.

Chucker, I saw it too…Racki’s a sneaky monkey. I was going to ridicule him for it too, but got sidetracked doing something else.

I go with team white too, The forwards on white just seem to be a lot deeper and more well rounded, plus I think Roy plays well. I say team white wins big, and Pitlick continues to show really well.

His sneaky editing skills have still missed the fact that he picks team blue “even though Hemsky is on team white”, when in fact Hemsky is on team blue.

heh.

Haha shit. Busted.

Anyways, hall is indeed in

lol @ the asterisk.

17. oilinblood says:

Giroux is really physical so once he catches up to the play he might draw alot of attention to him and give the other two some room. He is they type of guy that would do well as a trailer i think. From what ive seen he certainly he has a great shot, so he has to be watched closely by the d which opens space or you leave him alone and hes a snipe option. If he makes the puck do the work and feeds his linemates he will take his own foot speed out of the equation.

BTW joey is wearing #99? is that Kosher? Give Joey his own number.

Also im actually really dissapointed about not seeing Horcs Hall and Eberle together, and Gags centring Pen and Hemmer. Those lines made a tonne of sense.
    Ondrus, Harti, Motin, Pecker, Smid, Belle, and Abney on the same team…. LOL. I pick Blue

18. Mr.Majestyk says:

I’ll go with Team White just because I like all 4 forward lines. The D and goaltending isn’t as impressive though.

At the game. slow so far. brule and reddox are the standouts so far. Team blue looks good.

Giroux just burned hall.

21. Mr.Majestyk says:

Not much room out there for the skill guys. Its good for them to get accustomed to it now.

The red ox wants to make the team. best player so far

Ya its pretty clogged. nifty play by omark though but aside from that, not much happening.

Yeah, Red Ox is the only guy out there who looks like he’s trying hard to prove something. I was expecting more tenacity to tell you the truth.

25. otto84 says:

Noooo not Nickleback! God this audio is crap.

Hey… foster can shoot. On net

Donde es Khabi? Wheres he at?

Smid is a rock though

Yeah, shitty 5 cent back.

30. otto84 says:

Oh baby. Horcoff is on fire. My OilersNation prediction is going to be right again, dammit!

Horc very unselfish there

Yeah, Horc showing lots of leadership. Good stuff.

33. otto84 says:

Gagner is still getting out-muscled.

otto84: Gagner is still getting out-muscled.

And this is surprising? Horcoff schooled him for sure. Also, Gagner LOST five pounds with his training to he could be faster.

Tomorrow should be interesting.

Do we see any cuts after tonight? Likely not, but who knows?

35. John says:

36. Mr.Majestyk says:

Joey Moss cup is great because the Oilers always win! Top line on the blue team took over the game. I feel bad for Roy, he’s obviously just here for experience, but with Team white not able to even score a goal, the other 3 tenders didn’t surrender 1, compared to his 3.

Team white looked small. Guys like Gagner and Cogliano definitely get outmuscled.

Any takers on whether or not Pouliot scores tomorrow?

38. Mr.Majestyk says:

John: Well I know it was an intersquad game but fuck did Foster look good! Nice right handed bomb fot the 1st Blue goal for some icing on his game. Horcs definitely looks fast & maybe he bought a new pair of hands in the summer lol. Bring on the Bolts!!!

The breakaway goal is the same as his shootout move. Roy should have done his homework ;)

39. Mr.Majestyk says:

40. oilinblood says:

Even if you get rid of the point totals; Horcs and Reddox were the best players on the night. Honourable mention to Hartikainen and Omark. Eberle and Paajarvi did nothing bad and were alright but Hall looked better thanks to the room Vets like Hemsky and Horc give you.

Three things are clear… Chorney sucks. Horcs ROcks. Oilers will surprise in 2010-11.

BTW looks like Horcs is fast this year like he was in 07-08.

@Mr Maj.. its not like Horc couldnt have kept it and roofed on his backhand. That 5 hole was huge. Its not like a player cant choose what he is going to do. Horcs shown in shootouts he picks what you have open…and normally his shot is faster than the goalie (as shown by his shooting % when he chooses shot).

Nice comment by Hall with Tencer… said basically that they had the puck all night when they were on the ice and thats to be attributed to having players like Hemsky and a great centre like Horcs on the ice.

Horcs was hungry. I got great feeling about him. Havent seen that speed from him in 2 years. its back. hes back. 30g? 25 if he gets no pp -kept to pk- would be amazin.

Mr.Majestyk: Pouliot usually has a huge pre-season. 1g, 1a for Poo. That game is on Thursday though. TSN.

OH! Thanks! :D For some reason I though it was tomorrow.

OIB, Chorney did look pretty poor. I did like Petry though.

42. otto84 says:

otto84: I’d put money on Pouliot potting one. It’ll be the game winner, too. Unless the Triple H line destroys them.

H cubed. :P

44. otto84 says:

H to the triple-izzle.

45. John says:

Add my name to the “Chorney sucks” list lol. Hall does look like he might belong with the big boys. I feel sorry for the 3rd & 4th line bubble guys, they haven’t been able to really let ‘er rip yet, that will all change on Thursday.

oilinblood: BTW joey is wearing #99? is that Kosher? Give Joey his own number.

Maybe he’s honoring the guy who helped him get the job? Could be his favourite hockey number, who knows its Joey Moss, let him pick whatever he wants. :razz:

Didn’t really get to see too much of the game but I did see the Horc to Hall goal. Who was wearing 39? I’m not sure what it is about that number but it has to be one of my favourite hockey numbers, Weight probably influenced my decision.

Oh and did they change the goal horn this year?

47. John says:

John: O in B has a point about Joey; the guy that’s been there almost from the beginning, through thick & lots of thin, & is synonymous with Oilers hockey SHOULD have his own # which should be retired to the rafters when he retires. Why the hell not?? He’s more of an Oiler than 3/4 of the players that have played for them.

chucker:
    H cubed.

H³.

50. oilinblood says:

zackman35: Oh I’m almost certain there is going to be a special retirement for Joey but I’m not sure if he will have a number retired. I mean, its one thing if he has had a number all these years but I’m sure he’ll be getting his name on a banner of some sort, number or not.

That thought went thru my mind when i saw the picture. At first i thought it was #90 and figured that was a good pick of number for him and that we should retire it for him. It would make sense if he wore #90 or something a bunch of times and was known for it. Then i noticed it was 99.
    I believe he will definently get his name lifted to the rafters, number or not (most likely not with any number and im not a fan of a “fan” number ala Schmucks).

As for #39…i saw that too and have to say im a bit disgusted. #39 is sacred to me in Edmonton. *tear* Man i miss Dougy. I havent seen the kind of passion for the crest since DOugie—in that really emotional on the ice kind of way. Other players ARE passionate about the Oilers but Weight was so obviously attached to the team and city… it made you think hed need a heart transplant to go anywhere else.To take a page from Don Cherry… Doug is a BEAUTY.