First Day of Waivers for Purpose Of Reassignment

By , September 25, 2010 10:29 am
Will Souray be placed back on waivers? What about reassignment / recalled?

Will Souray be placed back on waivers? What about reassignment / recalled?

So today is the first day of waivers for the purpose of reassignment (meaning that team’s can now assign a player who cleared waivers to their AHL team, etc..). Just started minutes ago. Wade Redden has hit the waiver wire, as has Christobal Huet (Edit: now Michael Nylander). Will we see Souray on this list too eventually? I’m not sure if the Oilers want to be on for half the hook of Souray’s salary. Of course, they can waive him with out reassigning him too. Not sure what they intend to do. A $2.75M cap hit for Souray would be a tasty bargain for any teams out there, but that leaves the Oilers playing the rest of the tab, and I’m not sure they’d be willing to do that.

They’ve got time to think about it, so I kind of don’t think they’ll do it yet and will try to get some value of some sort for him (as difficult as that sounds). Personally, I’m kind of wondering if the best idea is to just cut him loose with all the players we have fighting for spots here (do we need someone else?). I know that’s bad asset management, but as everyone keeps saying, we’re not getting draft picks or prospects for this guy. We’ll be getting guys like Commodore (whom I like) who will be stealing jobs from Plante, Petry, Petiot, Belle, etc… So, perhaps waivers is the answer here. Recall waivers would be a pretty tough choice, but that definitely is one way to ensure this saga is over quick.

Wade Redden:
Cap hit – $6.5M.
Salary:

LENGTH: 6 YEARS    VALUE: $39,000,000    TYPE: STANDARD    EXPIRY STATUS: UFA
SEASON AHL SALARY NHL SALARY P. BONUSES S. BONUS CAP HIT
2008-2009 $8,000,000 $8,000,000 NO DATA $6,500,000
2009-2010 $8,000,000 $8,000,000 NO DATA $6,500,000
2010-2011 $6,500,000 $6,500,000 NO DATA $6,500,000
2011-2012 $6,500,000 $6,500,000 NO DATA $6,500,000
2012-2013 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 NO DATA $6,500,000
2013-2014 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 NO DATA $6,500,000
KNOWN CLAUSES: NTC (can list eight teams he will not accept a trade to)

Christobal Huet:

LENGTH: 4 YEARS    VALUE: $19,500,000    TYPE: STANDARD    EXPIRY STATUS: UFA
SEASON AHL SALARY NHL SALARY P. BONUSES S. BONUS CAP HIT
2007-2008 $5,500,000 $5,500,000 NO DATA $4,875,000
2008-2009 $5,500,000 $5,500,000 NO DATA $4,875,000
2009-2010 $5,500,000 $5,500,000 NO DATA $4,875,000
2010-2011 $3,000,000 $3,000,000 NO DATA $4,875,000
KNOWN CLAUSES: NMC (2007-08 through 2009-10)

Also waived:

John Grahame (COL), G
Brad Lukowich (DAL), D

What should the Oilers try with Souray if he's still here when the season starts? (check all that apply)

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

38 Responses to “First Day of Waivers for Purpose Of Reassignment”

Good luck to the Rangers with Redden. I’m sure he’ll clear regular waivers, and the Rangers will reassign and attempt him on recall waivers. At $3.25M, someone should claim him, but even that’s a risk since he has 4 years left. Yikes.

Huet on waivers too. Will we see Souray?

2. Haboiler says:

I honestly don’t think Souray will hit waivers unless there is no chance of being dealy by October 15th. They will want to try and unload the full salary and not be the club that demotes a big free agent signing. If they had to take a contract back like Commodore, they could always waive that contract if need be.

I’m optimistic he can be moved by the start of the season. Does taking that bad contract back have better optics than waiving Souray and losing him for half price … yes. Is it good for business? Well I guess we will wait and see what they do. If it was me, I would dump it it at all possible.

3. Haboiler says:

Do we still have to keep Souray on our active roster, or if he clears waivers, does that free up a roster spot?

If we assign him to another team (ex. OKC Barons) after he clears waivers, it frees up a roster spot.. but just placing him on waivers wouldn’t.

That’s what I thought. In that case, I tend to agree with you in terms of just get him gone already. I’m really liking what I’ve seen at all levels of the team for competition and it would be nice to have that extra roster spot available for one of these guys who are working so hard, especially on D.

Like you said, it’s likely poor asset management, but I doubt there is a deal at this point unless it’s for some other plug with a bad contract, which, quite frankly, I don’t want to have as it would take a spot from one of the guys working so hard. So I agree with your sentiments.

I know the cap hit sucks, but it is what it is. I really don’t think Tambi wants Souray on any team at any level of our organization. He’s said as much already. Waivers looks like the best solution at this point.

EDIT: Also, Souray’s contract doesn’t look so bad compared to those three guys above. OUCH! Brutal contracts. Glad we dodged the Nylander bullet even though his contract expires this year.

Also, is there a site that carries the daily waivers? I’d be interested to add it to my bookmarks if anyone has one. Thanks in advance.

New poll up on this post, re Souray.

Haboiler: Just noticed that Mark Streit in NYI just left the ice cltuching his shoulder. If he is out for awhile, Souray is the perfect fit for the Islanders!

I was watching, looked like a dislocated or separated shoulder, not good for the Isles. (Edit – confirmed to be his left shoulder, to be evaluated this weekend, should know by Sun/Mon at the latest how long he’ll be out). I’ve been beating the Souray drum there for a while now but in the hopes he would complement Streit & Wizniewski, not replace one of them. Isles can afford him, if Streit is out long term hopefully they can get something done. Seeing as the Oilers aready offered Souray to teams for nothing I think all they can hope for is a pick in return.

9. Haboiler says:

I’m sure they would take the last pick in the draft for him!

LateNightOilFan:
    I was watching, looked like a dislocated or separated shoulder, not good for the Isles.(Edit – confirmed to be his left shoulder, to be evaluated this weekend, should know by Sun/Mon at the latest how long he’ll be out). I’ve been beating the Souray drum there for a while now but in the hopes he would complement Streit & Wizniewski, not replace one of them.Isles can afford him, if Streit is out long term hopefully they can get something done.Seeing as the Oilers aready offered Souray to teams for nothing I think all they can hope for is a pick in return.

I think getting a pick for him is actually the optimal value anyways. Really, I like guys like Commodore coming in, and even hoped for that, but like I said above, I kind of now see that we should leave as many spots open as we can for the young guys to play.

One thing that doesn’t get enough notice is we have a decent “dilemma” on defence too. We’ve got Foster, Gilbert, Whitney, Smid as guarantees. That leaves us with 3 (possibly 4 if they go that route) spots available between: Vandermeer, Peckham, Plante, Chorney, Strudwick, Petry, Belle, Petiot (in no particular order). Eight possibly guys, realistically 3 spots…

Our forward group is no different a situation either, as we know.

11. Mr.Majestyk says:

A draft pick does make the most sense in a deal for Souray because we’re in semi-tank mode this season. Re-entry waivers shouldn’t bother anyone except Katz because he’ll be paying part of Souray’s salary to play for someone else. It shouldn’t affect our lineup though. Getting someone like Commodore would be bad in the sense that his contract is fairly big for what he brings, and its still got a few years on it.

Agree – trading a pick for Souray is win-win for both sides. If Streit is out for a long time, Souray is the best option to replace his minutes/production for the Isles.

14. Mr.Majestyk says:

Racki: Mr. M: Agreed. Only problem is, I am not so sure a team (even the Isles) would take on $4.5M salary / $5.4M cap hit without giving some back. But if they would… go for it, Tambi!

I’m okay with taking back some salary, but nothing beyond next season.

The Isles don’t really have a lot of big salary to give back though. If in this situation the Isles cite Souray’s contract $$ as being their issue, then all the fans complaining about Wang being tight-fisted will be right. Absolutely no issue from a cap POV for the Isles, and they supposedly offered big money to other free agents and got turned down this off-season.

Mr.Majestyk:
    I’m okay with taking back some salary, but nothing beyond next season.

That leaves our list of possible trade options with the Isles to:

James Wisniewski (back practicing, iirc)

17. MetalOil says:

I would not mind trying to get Brock Nelson from the Isles.

18. Mr.Majestyk says:

Racki: That leaves our list of possible trade options with the Isles to:James Wisniewski (back practicing, iirc)Perhaps not the best trading partners, if they aren’t wanting to pick up all of Souray’s contract (although LNOF’s perspective on the Isles willingness to spend is interesting).

Sorry, absolutely no way the Isles will part with Wiz. He & Streit were to be the first line pairing & PP unit. The addition of Wiz brought their D up to the NHL level from the AHL level.

LNOF: For sure they wouldn’t trade him.. I was just sarcastically saying that there really isn’t anyone highly paid on the Isles ;)

Mr.Majestyk: I’d even take Jason Blake from the Ducks because I think this is the final year of his awful contract.

2 years to go for Blake.

Racki: LNOF: For sure they wouldn’t trade him.. I was just sarcastically saying that there really isn’t anyone highly paid on the Isles

Ahh, missed the sarcasm there, sorry!

22. MetalOil says:

While were at it do you think they would part with Nino :)

MetalOil: While were at it do you think they would part with Nino

LOL, uh no.
    Bruno Gervais anyone? Apparently he’s a good cook.

24. Haboiler says:

26. MetalOil says:

LateNightOilFan:
    LOL, uh no.
    Bruno Gervais anyone?

LOL its funny cause on the TSN story there are already comments from delusional Leaf fans saying Kaberle for one of Nino or Johnny T. Soon I expect them to up their trade demands to both :)

Haboiler: If anything they may want another piece to go with Souray. But like what was said above, there isn’t too many players with high salaries on the Isles. After DiPietro there isn’t much in nets for the Isles besides Rollie who is done after this year. Maybe an option for one of the young goalies? Just throwing ideas out there.

Don’t tease me with thoughts of Roli back in an Oiler uniform. I have been hard on him from time to time, but given our current state of goaltender affairs, I’d take him back in a heartbeat. But that also means undoing the Khabi deal somehow.

They are actually pretty high on one of Koskinen and Poulin to be NHL ready next year. If DP can complete his comeback look for one of those to be backup next year. Their hands are really tied until they see if DP can be a starter again. This is the most positive they have been about him for a long time, he’s looking good in camp so far.

Racki: On the note of Nino… is he in camp with the Isles (looks like it)? I’m curious as to how he is doing.

He’s there, he’s looked fine although fans only got their first look today. Their first preseason games aren’t until Wed where they’re doing split squad so he’ll be there until at least Thurs. He may even get the first 9 games of regular season for a long look.

30. Haboiler says:

Thanks LNOF. Wasn’t sure how he was doing at TC this year. I hope for his sake he can stay healthy for a change. In your opinion, is there anyone the isles would be willing to give up? I’m hoping a late round pick would be what came back in Streit is out for awhile. If the shoulder is in fact separated this could be a legitimate trade option

Given that they are only about a year or two ahead of the Oilers in terms of a rebuild, I don’t see them giving up on any young prospects. They would definitely part with picks, maybe even as high as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. As far as roster players, they re-signed a couple guys to 2-ways for depth – guys like Jon Sim, Gervais, not a big deal for them to part with but they do fill a role for them. A guy like Trent Hunter hasn’t quite lived up to expectations in terms of his contract so you see his name in rumours but that’s just fans throwing things out there.

I think realistically with Souray having 2 years left at a high price, you’re looking at a pick in return. They’d be trying to replace a guy with a similar salary who might be out long term this year but fine next year.

Anyway, gotta run, we’ll see what happens. If it is bad news for Streit, might see something go down first of the week. I would think if Streit is out for a few months and they decide to make a trade for Souray to replace him, they would want to get him into Wed’s pre-season games, especially important for a guy who hasn’t seen any TC action so far.

Interesting post up at From The Rink.

I think Redden’s contract is a bit dangerously long, but at $3.25M, I’m surprised people don’t consider him good value. Their poll question is about whether he’d be good to pick up on recall waivers – I’m one of only 2 people that said yes so far – although not for the Oil’s sake. Interestingly enough, 199/245 said they would take Souray on recall waivers though.

I don’t want the Oil to pick him up (I don’t like the 4 year term), but at $3.25M, I’d be surprised if no one is interested. There have always been questions concerning his compete level though.. and that 4 year term.. there is some gamble there.

33. Mr.Majestyk says:

If you pick the guy up on recall, you get him at half price for the entire contract? For some reason I just thought it was only for the first year. I guess Redden doesn’t seem that bad at 3.25, but again, its the length of the term. If he was a UFA this summer, he probably would get picked up by someone, but not at that price. He could prove to be worth that much somewhere, but he’s not worth it now.

34. John says:

Even though hanging on to Souray handcuffs the team a little in terms of cap space & a juicy roster spot, I would find it unpalatable to allow someone to claim him off waivers (for nothing of course) then to add insult to injury the Oilers still have to pay the remaining $2.75 mil, possibly to score on…themselves! With the defensive injuries beginning to pile up around the league (& it’s not even regular season yet) I think the Oilers might be able to wait it out & find a willing dance partner in the next 3 weeks or so. Behind closed doors you have to think that there are already maybe 3 teams wringing their hands at the thought of claiming a big, 40pt defenceman for less than $3 mil. Therefore, let’s wait a little & make THEM give us something plus we totally cut the strings.

For sure there are teams wanting to claim him on recall waivers for that price ($2.7M cap hit). But I’m not sure there is anyone knocking at the door to have him at full price without us taking something bad back. We’ll see though.. hopefully there is something else out there. I just have a tough time dumping someone to hang on to him for maybe being able to trade Souray later. But really, I don’t like coughing him up for nothing, or coughing him up for nothing and paying half his salary/cap. Lose-lose situation unless some GM out there gets desperate/stupid.

36. otto says:

Getting him drunk is clearly the best option. I’d take one for the team and get drunk with him.

Seriously, though, Mac made a good point that it might take ’til after training camp, when teams see what they have and what they’re lacking, for someone to show any interest in him. I think hanging on to him for a bit is the best option.

@ Racki, I saw something the other day that the Isles signed Neino to an entry level deal.

On Redden, NO, I dont’ want him even for that price and nobody should. Have you seen this guy play the last few years? He plays like a guy who makes 1.5. Brutal.

On Souray; I think it’s looking like there may be some possibilities. If waiving him is the way to go, I’m fine with it as I’m very sure Tambi has called every GM about five times about him. Having said that, it would be a minor miracle if he could parlay him into something. “I envoke the right of parlay!”

Hmmmmm…..anyways, Streit is basically the best player on the Isles so Souray would fit well there. I guess the willingness to trade for a guy who cleared waivers may be the issue, especially at his salary. Wang has been bleeding money there for years, but maybe it works out. I don’t really know.

It did seem very clear what our options were a while ago and I don’t think that’s changed, so we’re still hoping for an injury to a high end blue liner that Souray could fill in for, waivers, or re-assignment.

Perhaps it would be prudent to wait for the inevitable injuries that you know are going to happen. I really don’t know what to think decissively anymore. :P

38. oilinblood says:

I subscribe to the perception that no return would be the best return on Souray. From a forward standpoint I think we have a few guys who are on the bubble that i feel deserve a look. Ondrus has impressed me and i admit i thought this guy was a tard. Personally i think Cogs inefficiency, or more accurately put complete comedic incompetence, in the circle puts him to a wing position on the fourth line. Really in that position i would rather have Ondrus. He doesnt show enough finish to me to be a top 6 NOR a top 9 on a good team, as i would sooner…much MUCH sooner afford a look see to Omark in that spot because he has the hands and craftyness. Cogs has had 3 years so far… Omark is green and looks better. Nough said.

Frankly Cogs looks terrible. He hurts the oilers more than helps.

I think if i am Tambi i might wait until after the first 5 games of the year…then pull the trigger on a deal for Souray and Cogs…either combined or seperate. Then you bring up a player that got temporarily cut (like Omark who doesnt need to clear waivers) bring someone up. Waive Souray if you cant donate him for free to a team. Or loan him out to a euro team. I dont want bodies back for either asset… DPs would be nice for the cupboards.

I keep thinking of Filatov from Columbus and if perhaps we could do a :
    Souray
    Cogs
    4th RD

for Filatov and Commodore.

Again it would be a move made 5 games in to see if our centres are working…if they arent Pahlsson is a target.

Its interesting that with Murray in Ottawa liking Cogliano, that we never hear of that situation being resurrected.
    i would be very interested if Rundblad was at all negotiable from Murray. Hes a bigger Rafalski iMO. With their situation on Defense and injuries you just never know.

5 games in to revisit.