Whhhhaaaaaaaaaa…?!?

By , August 6, 2010 3:26 pm

Can't have enough shitty goalies...

According to the email that I just received from the oilers, and also here:

General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with goaltender Martin Gerber on a one-year contract.

Gerber, 35, played last year with Altant Moscow of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL). In 30 appearances he went 15-6-6 with a 2.19 GAA and .914 save percentage.

I’m not sure what to think about this one, as in wouldn’t Niemi be a better choice than Gerber? Do we really want 4 goalies come camp? Is Khabilbulin really fucked now? How do the kids feel now?

Plus the sumbitch stole a cup from us.

30 Responses to “Whhhhaaaaaaaaaa…?!?”

1. Mr.Majestyk says:

Martin Gerber? Really? It appears that BostonOiler’s insider got Niemi confused with Gerber. Either that or the Oilers did.

I kind of wonder if this is a move for the AHL or the NHL, or if they maybe even plan on moving one of the younger guys down?

Either way, I think this symbolizes in some way that our AHL goaltending will not suck next year. At least one of JDD, Doobie or Gerber will be in OKC next year, which is good.

The other possibility is perhaps they’ll go the unexpected route and do something with Khabi.. let him play out the rest of his years in OKC, for example. We still get burned by the cap hit either way (unless they’re trying that morals clause business), but out of sight, out of mind?

I think though that it will be one or more of JDD, Doobie or Gerber in OKC next year though, and that is GOOD. I know you guys are probably all thinking what this post is titled.. but it’s good for the farm team because this certainly means someone is going down there (if they make it, which they will).

I wonder what the salary was and if its one or two way. that could be telling..

4. Mr.Majestyk says:

Well, this looks to me like Krueger has put forth some of his influence on the Oilers. Swiss netminder that he’s no doubt familiar with. Just not really impressed with the signing. Heck, I would have taken Vesa Toskala before Gerber. Its early to pass judgement already but for the record I’m not impressed. Did I mention how unimpressed I am?

5. Haboiler says:

Its a 1 yr, 2 Way deal…. $500K/$200K. Call me crazy, but I really don’t mind this signing. Good AHL depth and the guy was 15-6 in the KHL last year. All that for the league minimum. If Khabbi isn’t in the mix, then he is a decent season split guy with DD. If Khabbi is here, then he is a decent mentor for JDD in OKC. ITs a weird move, but I like it.

6. Mr.Majestyk says:

I do like the contract terms. That sheds a bit more light on the signing. We still have too many goalies though.

7. Haboiler says:

I believe its a protection signing. What happens if they waived one of the kids and he got claimed? Then we’d be left with Bryan Pitton as the starter in OKC. Thats why I like it alot.

Well, given the terms, this is 100% for the benefit of OKC… too many goalies? No… disagree….

OKC desperately needed a goalie, and do you think even Money Bags McGee would want to pay 800k or 1.05M for an AHL goaltender?

I think 100% he will be in the AHL this year, unless called up.

JDD or Doobie may even join him at some point once Khabi is back in business.

I’m ecstatic about this signing because this is a big year for our AHL team…. they desperately needed a goaltender. Last year, Springfield was doing really well, competing for the conference lead up until mid/late December when Doobie was called up, then blamo… cue the drop in standings all the way to last place.

9. Mr.Majestyk says:

Well, I just saw our 3 goaltenders as being Khabi and the winner of DD and JD being backup. Loser gets to be starter in OKC.

Do you figure we will be carrying 3 tenders this season or will they send one of JD and DD down? 200K is quite a bit of money for a backup AHL goaltender.

10. Haboiler says:

I have a feeling someway, somehow that either JDD or Khabbi will not be with this team by Oct. 1. I think its “worst case” scenario that all 4 are on this team by Oct. 1.

I think honestly that Haboiler’s guess is closer to the what will happen.

I suspect:

– Gerber to the minors, as our starter.
    – Start the season with JDD, Dubnyk…. Khabi.. well, depends on outcome of his trial.

At any point when we carry three goalies in NHL (i.e. Khabi returns), JDD will be the odd man out (barring a miracle that rids us of Khabi’s contract). His one year contract makes that clear for me, despite his salary.

I think once it’s known when Khabi will be in the lineup, and when it is closer to that date, the Oilers will push to move one of their young goalies, again, most likely JDD… they’ll likely fail to do so though, given the market, unless said goaltender shines here and has higher than usual value. In which case, they might assign said goaltender to OKC. The alternative is to buy them out, but I’d say they’d be better off assigning them to OKC and just getting the salary hit over with.

Well I was very confused to say the least when I first saw this, but now it makes sense. We all wanted an AHL goalie, a vet, and guess what now we have one. Gerber will be the starter in OKC this season. I have little doubt about that. I really think something is up with Khabibulin now and we won’t see him on opening day. Hopefully morals clause. So this is an AHL move it would seem, can’t fault Tambi for that!

14. MetalOil says:

I have had nothing to say about the Oil lately but man oh man is our crease situation ever complicated these days. Why would Gerber come here to earn less then he would make in another year in the “K” only to be an AHL goaltender??? makes no sense to me unless Khaby is on his way out of Edmonton.

$700 000(tax free) in the KHL or $200 000 in the AHL
    Why would he be here to earn less in a developmental league ???

This convinces me that Tamby will void Khabby’s contract if he is convicted. Despite what he is saying about it now :)

Well, on the other hand MO, why would they sign him to a 2-way contract for 1-year if there was no intention on sending him to the AHL?

My only guess is that he’s doing this with hopes of working his way back into the NHL. That, or Tambellini has naked photos of his wife.

No matter what, it doesn’t really make sense at all…. but I’ll be happy if he ends up in OKC. Maybe he was getting the sense that KHL teams weren’t interested in him this year?

I really don’t think you should get your hopes up on Khabi’s contract being voided though.

16. MetalOil says:

I think there is a 50/50 chance of Khabby’s contract being voided(If convicted). Tamby ain’t gonna say something stupid like a “If convicted he ain’t coming back here” sort of thing. It would sure backfire on him if Khabby got found not guilty. Tamby is just playing it safe with what he says and will deal with it upon the trials completion. Hard for him to do anything about it at this moment.

Did anyone catch Nabokov’s cheap shot against the Oilers?

Pretty ballsy shit from a guy who chocked year after year in the NHL’s playoffs LOL.

I was just thinking about it, and looking back over the last 5 years for each goalie, it might be that our best goalie next year will only make 500k

I’m not too bent out of shape over Nabby’s pot shot at the Oilers. We finished dead last, and that pretty much makes us the laughing stock of the league, unfortunately. He shouldn’t have named the team specifically though… so I can understand why anyone would be offended. But meh, it is true.

Also, I agree that Gerber is probably the best goalie we have here currently… too bad he’s the only one on a two-way. But really, the difference (in money saved) between sending him down and sending someone else down is only $300k, no matter who we send, when you think about it. So who knows. I would be tickled pink if Khabi was sent down, but I’m not holding my breath. I actually have thought about it, and I wonder if maybe they’ll let him start up here while Khabi is in the tank. Once he comes back, maybe then they’ll decide what to do with their 3 or 4-headed monster.

According to Jason Gregor, the Oilers did this because they are worried that if they send one of JDD or Dubnyk down, they may get claimed, leaving them with nothing. That I can completely get behind (although I think they’d clear… but the point here is they’re smart to not allow themselves to have Pitton or any of the other AHL goalies as their starter).

I wonder now that Gerber is here if they still have intent on sending JDD or Dubnyk down. Like I said, no matter who gets sent down, at best we save $300K. So do we start by sending JDD down and go with Gerber/Dubnyk for now until Khabi is back and then make another decision?

I guess Gerber is here for security. The 2-way contract gives us the peace of mind that we won’t be paying big bucks (well we wouldn’t anyways) for him to play in the AHL.

I like.. for once the Oilers are showing some foresight and being pro-active rather than reactive.

It’s not going to be a 4-headed monster, so we don’t have to worry. I predict we’ll only have 2 goalies up here, and the others will be attempted to be send down when necessary to get us back down to 2 goalies (i.e. when Khabi is back). Also it gives us a call up option too.

So I come home from vacation and this was the last signing I expected to see! I guess I can understand the logic, but signing Gerber was a big surprise.

So you think the Oilers learned from the Khabi signing and subject him to a medical before signing him? The guy missed 4 months with a serious back/neck injury last year. He was injured in Dec & didn’t play again until April, then he did play in the World’s. Still it was a pretty significant injury to a pretty important part of the body – docs thought it was a compression fracture to one of the vertebrae at first but then it was downgraded to a contusion.

He’s apparently very lucky – gotta respect him for overcoming something like that.

LOL Nabby, win something before you take shots at NHL franchises!

Bostonoiler: LOL Nabby, win something before you take shots at NHL franchises!

That comment just goes to show us all how hard it must be for Tambi to sign players, and when we all throw up our hands and get pissed off that he isn’t addressing our needs as UFA’s go to other teams, it may very well be that he tried.

LNOF: for 1 year at 500k in the NHL and 200k in the AHL, I think he could be missing a leg and we’d still be alright. It would be nice if they did do their homework this time, but it’s pretty low risk. And as you said yourself, he did play at the Worlds after coming back from the injury.

It’s a pretty safe signing. Of course it does tie up one of their 50 max contracts (I think they’re at 47 now), but I think aside from that, they only stand to benefit from this signing.

gr8one:

I try not to blame Tambi for things he hasn’t done, because I’ve heard lots this off-season about him trying to make stuff happen (like going after Asham, Madden, etc.). He’s smartened up and isn’t going for the home-run swing anymore. There are some things I’ll probably permanently be ticked about (Khabi signing), but he’s done a lot to make the knowledgeable fans happy this off-season.

As mentioned earlier I think we see JDD traded before camp starts up. Pitton will backup Gerber in OKC and Khabi and Dubs will start up here ths season.

So I got bored at work today and came up with another lineup lol:

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
    Penner-Brule-Eberle
    Svensson-Horcoff-Cogliano
    Jones-Fraser-Stortini
    JFJ/ MacIntyre

Whitney-Gilbert
    Souray-Smid
    Foster-Vandermeer
    Strudwick

Khabibulin
    Dubnyk

Minor detail, but from what I understand, Foster plays the right side..

Add to that, you’re missing Peckham… no way we put him on waivers (req’d to go to OKC). I’d hope our D would have something more like:

Whitney-Gilbert
    Smid-Foster
    2 of Strudwick/Vandermeer/Peckham

I guess with Souray being on this team, we’d have 8 d-men, so I’d say he’s gone one way or another, even if we have to try and send him to OKC.

Also, sounds like Shawn Belle will do everything in his power to make the team this year too.

27. OilSlick says:

Steve-O, you are either smoking something funny or are totally insane. Niemi? For the role we will be paying Gerber to play, Niemi would never agree to it. There isn’t a chance in hell he would sign a 2-way contract.

Gerber will play a valuable role with the organization. He will start the season in OKC, providing some stable vet presence in goal there for our young team, as well as being able to be an injury fill-in for the big club.

You are WAY off base in this article. You’re also completely wrong about the 4-headed goalie monster because 1 of JDD or Khabibulin will not be Oilers by the time TC rolls around – and Gerber won’t be for quite awhile – maybe never.

Very good insight into the goaltending situation here, in an interview with Olczyk and the Sun:

Basically to sum, the team has every confidence in Khabi, so get past the morals clause stuff because it’s not happening (not that we haven’t ever seen a team say one thing and do another). I actually do still think Khabi will be a good goaltender for us, I just have questions about for how long, is all.

Also, Olczyk says: “We’re going to have two darn good goalies in OKC”. Pitton isn’t what I would describe as a “darn good goalie”, even at the AHL level… so I wonder if that is alluding to Deslauriers or Dubnyk being demoted. I think they had intent on sending one down all along (although it baffles me that neither of JDD/Dubnyk have a 2-way contract). And Gerber will be extra strength down there.

I’m pretty sure that by November we’ll see Khabi/Dubnyk in the NHL and Gerber/JDD in the AHL. Not spectacular in net at the NHL level, but if they’re both healthy and in the line up, I do have confidence in them holding their own.

The other thing is that this gives us flexability when it comes to the liklihood that Khabbi may go down for conditioning stints as he is coming off of back surgery. Gerber gives reliable tending should Khabbi have issues which seem almost certain given his history.

BTW the site looks really good on the BB.

30. Smokin' Ray says:

@Racki Matt Thomas, the head coach of the Stockton Thunder did say a few days ago that the Oilers and the Sharks will provide the Thunder with goalies this year. I scratched my head and was confused. How is this possible?

Then the Oilers sign Gerber and now it all makes sense. Bryan Pitton — who I had pegged to be playing with JDD in OKC — will be the odd man out and will go down.

So like you said, Khabibulin and Dubnyk in Edmonton and Gerber and Deslauriers in OKC. If an injury or another complication arises, Gerber gets called up.

Tencer did say yesterday that Tamby is serious about not starting the season with 3 goalies. See ya JDD!

SIDE TOPIC: Just for fun I went through the potential Barons roster and added up the contracts in a post. $2,270,000. And that is without JDD or DD. That’s a lot of loot.