PPV’s are now FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

By , August 10, 2010 2:31 pm

FREE!

Hidden in the latest Oilers news regarding the new Rogers Sportsnet agreement was this little gem:

This agreement will also mean Oilers and Flames fans will no longer have to rely on Pay-Per-View broadcasts in order to view games not otherwise being broadcast.

Well that’s just peachy.

8 Responses to “PPV’s are now FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!”

1. Trogdor says:

Nice. Now I definitely need a second receiver for the house. Hopefully we have a better season than last as I’ll be tuning into a lot more of it.

Well I guess it will depend on how much Sportsnet One will cost me. If it doesn’t broadcast regionally and all games are played, it might be worth while.

2. Smokin' Ray says:

@Trogdor From what I know, the SportsnetOne will be a $2.99 charge for the extra channel from most cable providers. THIS IS FREAKING GREAT!

3. Adam says:

they couldn’t sell the product so they figured it was better to give it away. i wonder how embarrassing the numbers were last season for ppv.

Couldn’t sell them so they might as well get a better TV deal I guess.

5. Trogdor says:

It’s not just the Oil. Flames and Nucks are killing ppv as well. I guess no one wants to pay unless they get a seat and a chance to get a puck in their brew.

6. Ktown says:

Going through the article, it looks like the NHL is still sticking it to hockey fans outside of the ‘accepted regional areas’. So, despite the great new deal, Oil fans in BC and anywhere east of Manitoba are still stuck watching a black screen for 3 hours…

When will the stupid league realize that they’ve got a fanbase up in Canada that likes hockey, and doesn’t necessarily want to see the local products.

Christ, if I’ve gotta spend another season watching f’n Don Taylor make a mockery of sportscasting while being perfectly Canuck Homerific, I may jump off the new floating bridge.

It never was an issue for me that PPV games were on because of NHL center ice. Why would anyone order an Oilers PPV game last season the way that team played? They had to have lost money here. Flames are about to make a major slide in the standings so who would want to pay for that? Good move to show all the games on TV.

Bostonoiler: It never was an issue for me that PPV games were on because of NHL center ice. Why would anyone order an Oilers PPV game last season the way that team played? They had to have lost money here. Flamers are about to make a major slide in the standings so who would want to pay for that? Good move to show all the games on TV.

Definitely. I would have to think it’s because of sponsorship and advertising dollars that have not been eager to go another year of PPV after last season. As least putting it on a regular channel boosts the numbers automatically one would think.