Oilers re-sign Jeff Deslauriers

By , August 1, 2010 11:03 am

Not news anymore, but figured I should whip up a post for posterity’s sake….

The Oilers have avoided arbitration again, this time signing Jeff Deslauriers to a 1-year, one-way deal worth 1.05M.

Here is the official Oilers press release:

General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with goaltender Jeff Deslauriers on a one-year deal.

Deslauriers, 26, played in his second National Hockey League season last year appearing in 48 games sporting a 16-28-4 record with a 3.26 GAA and .901 save percentage.

The 6’4”, 200 lbs goaltender was given the starting role after veteran netminder Nikolai Khabibulin went down with a back injury. Deslauriers put together a season-best five-game winning streak in December when the he backstopped the Oilers to five consecutive road wins.

Deslauriers, who was born in St-Jean-Richelieu, Quebec, played 10 games last year for Edmonton and held a 4-3-0 record with a 3.34 GAA and .901 save percentage. He also played in five games with the Springfield Falcons of the AHL and was 1-4-0.

Deslauriers played junior hockey with the Chicoutimi Sagueneens of the QMJHL from 2001-04. In that span he had a 67-64-8 record. He was drafted by Edmonton in the 2nd round, 31st overall in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

19 Responses to “Oilers re-sign Jeff Deslauriers”

Oilers re-sign JDD. 1 year deal.

JDD signs for 1.05 mill. Pretty fair signing if you ask me.

zackman35: JDD signs for 1.05 mill. Pretty fair signing if you ask me.

Yah, I don’t know about that. I don’t think he’s worth any more than Dubnyk, even though his numbers were better. But it’s not like that extra 200k is going to kill the team or anything either. So it’s not really an issue at all, I suppose. It’s not a bad signing or anything, I just thought they’d give him a bit closer to Dubnyk’s salary.

Now hopefully one of those guys step it up this coming year.

Racki:
    Now hopefully one of those guys step it up this coming year.

Yeah I thought that too, but really the cap hit is so minor it doesn’t really bother me all that much. And for a young, hopefully, up and coming goaltender the contract will look somewhat attractive to teams too. I emailed you by the way.

oh OK, thanks for letting me know Zack..I’ll go check it. I don’t normally read that work address on days off.

Haven’t read anything official, but I believe this is a one-way deal.

7. NorwegianOiler says:

NorwegianOiler: Seems like they intend to keep options open as long as possible. If Khabibulin can play come the season opener I expect either Deslauriers or Dubnyk to be waivered to go to Oklahoma. And given the lack of interest in goalies in the NHL market the last few years I expect that player to clear as well…

My thoughts exactly. Nobody is interested in goalies right now. Turco is still out there for Pete’s sake!

There are also several veteran UFAs that have not signed and the reason is because of cap issues. Nobody’s going to free up a roster spot to pick up one of these two when one of them eventually gets sent down, presuming that all works in favour of Khabbi, which I doubt, but whatever.

I honestly don’t think it’s a big loss if any of our goalies are claimed on waivers anyways. But no, no one would claim them, I’m sure… especially at the start of the season.

If it were me, I’d be keeping Khabi and DD and risk JDD to waivers…hopefully he passes through and has a good season in OKC, I think he would on both accounts.

If something happens that Khabi isn’t in the picture anymore I’d sign Theodore for 2 years as long as it was less than 2m per, and still do the same as noted above regarding J4D.

Hmm well as it stands right now, I’d like to see this roster on opening night.

Forwards
    Penner – Horc – Hemmer
    Hall – Gags – Eberle
    MPS – Brule – Cogs (Would be nice to see Giroux on this line)
    JFJ – Fraser – Storts

Smackintyre

The third line is a bit small and the second line is a gamble.

Defense
    Gilbert – Whitney
    Souray – Smid (Yes, Souray)
    Vandermeer – Foster

Between the Pipes
    Re-Khabi
    DD

Would be nice to have Turco instead of Re-Khabi. Anyways what are your thoughts?

13. victoriaoilerfan says:

Your right about the small size of the 3rd line. That is why I think despite his talent and speed Cogs. days are numbered. I would like to see that spot taken by a guy like Kopecky from the Hawks should they get into more cap trouble if they dicde to re sign Neinmi. Asham would be another good choice IMO.
    As far as your D you forgot Peckham who has to stick with the big club this year. He would have to clear waivers if he gets sent down. I would hate to lose him for nothing.
    Khabi is another big headache for the OIlers. Frankly we are in a big tight box with this guy as it stands. He has a horrible contract. I wish they would throw him in the slammer so we could just throw him under the bus. But short of that, we are married to this guy and are going to have to continue to expierence the joy of waking up to his ugly mug for a few more years.

On Khabi, I think his contract is horrible.. but I think if he’s healthy and can move on and learn from his stupidity, we’ll be OK in goal. But if this whole DUI becomes the distraction it will likely become, it’s going to probably be another not-so-fun year.

As for the lines, Zack, I’m not so sure line 3 is as much of a size concern as you guys think. Number 2 is probably even more of a concern though when it comes to size. Think about it… MPS at least has good size (6’1? over 200lbs..) and Brule plays big. Cogliano is the only concern there. However on line 2, we have Gagner who is quite small, and Eberle who is definitely no bigger, and Hall is big and plays with an edge, but he’s a bit young and still has a lot of filling out to do. So that line, imho, is even worse, size-wise. Line 3 will be OK, even with Cogliano. But perhaps it might be wiser to do a bit of re-arranging, and consider a guy like Giroux for RW, as you said (although I have my doubts that he’ll be able to have NHL success when he’s struggled thus far… but he might just need to be the guy that does the dirty work so the small guys don’t have to).

15. Mr.Majestyk says:

I’d be tempted to drop Horcoff to third line and bump the other centers up one spot. Also, Hardly anyone ever pencils in Ryan Jones. I’m really excited for camp because I want to see how all these bodies are going to fit in.

Yah I’ve thought about Jones too… it’s just tough thinking of here he fits in exactly. I don’t think he’s particular good at any aspect of his game. That’s not to say he’s BAD. I just think he doesn’t really have a stand out quality. So he isn’t a guy that immediately comes to mind when you’re pecilling a line up and say “OK, I need this kind of guy here”. I’m not saying he doesn’t fit anywhere, don’t get me wrong. Just harder to figure out how he fits. But I can see him fitting on one of our wings.

And yes, I think Horcoff will eventually drop to line 3 center, just not sure if it will be right away though.

Racki: I’m not so certain he has a two-way contract though, so I wonder if Katz is willing to drop $1.05M on a player playing in OKC. They definitely need a bigger name down there than they have though, so he would help a lot.

I was actually wondering if maybe they gave him a one way decent $ contract on purpose in order to dissuade other teams to claim if sent down, maybe just maybe Mr. Moneybags Katz really doesn’t give a rats ass paying a few extra hundred grand in order to ensure that OKC has a solid goaltender to help the team and be there for callups/insurance.

gr8one:

Well giving a two-way contract wouldn’t have made a difference on team’s willingness to claim him because remember, if a team claimed JDD, they’d pretty much have to keep them on their NHL roster. If they demoted him to their farm team, we could just pick him back up again as we have first dibs (in more ways than one).

So having a $1.05M NHL salary and something like a $100k salary would still afford us the same waiver-claim likelihood, without wasting a lot of money to have him play in OKC. That NHL salary is what is the deterrent.

I think a lot are banking on JDD playing in OKC (or Dubnyk), but I kind of think now with the contracts these guys got (unless JDD’s is a 2-way), they’ll either both stay on the big club or one will be traded.

Just to update, yes, this is a one-way deal.