Oilers ink Gagner to 2 year deal worth 2.275M per season

By , August 29, 2010 7:32 pm
Sam Gagner, drafted 6th overall at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft

Sam Gagner, drafted 6th overall at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft

Well, the wait for us fans is over.. Sam Gagner has been re-signed to a 2 year deal reportedly worth $2.275M per season. I really like this deal. If I’m not mistaken, Gagner will be arbitration elegible at the end of this deal, however he will still be a Restricted Free Agent. That also leaves the Oilers with $9.768M of cap space, including Studly Wonderbomb, and without any reached bonuses taken into account (about $6M cap space left if all bonuses are reached). I think we’re still sitting comfortably, compared to what we’re used to.

Sam Gagner has shown signs of improvement since his first year. He’s show flashes of greatness, between periods of cooling off. I’d expect this year to be a very good one for him, as he’s been challenged by Tambellini, and I think he’ll answer the call. I think also he’ll be given more opportunity on the top line and top powerplay, playing with the likes of Ales Hemsky, Dustin Penner, and perhaps some time with Taylor Hall, Magnus Paajarvi and Jordan Eberle. I’m going to predict a 60+ point season for Gagner this year.

Some have called into question his ability to be a number one center. I’m not one of them.. I just think it is a matter of time for this kid. He likely won’t show it 100% next year, but by the time he’s ready to sign his next contract, I think he’ll be getting a good raise.

Great that this one is done.. next stop – Andrew Cogliano.

29 Responses to “Oilers ink Gagner to 2 year deal worth 2.275M per season”

1. stanleyoil says:

gagner signed 2 year deal
    oilers home page

2. MetalOil says:

2-year deal for Gagner !!! Details to be released later!!!

stanleyoil: gagner signed 2 year dealoilers home page

Whew…that’s good to hear.

Ryan Rishaug
    4.55 total over 2 yrs for gagner..

which works out to, 2.275 x 2…sounds about right.

5. MetalOil says:

RyanRishaug’s Twitter:

4.55M total over 2 yrs for Gagner

Yessss.. good to hear. I would have liked more years or less dollars, but that is definitely doable. But at least when it expires he’ll still be a UFA RFA.

Racki: But at least when it expires he’ll still be a RFA.

yea, that really is the key to this signing.

8. dawgtoy says:

Racki: Yessss.. good to hear. I would have liked more years or less dollars, but that is definitely doable. But at least when it expires he’ll still be a UFA.

UFA or RFA?

9. MetalOil says:

Wow is the summer of 2012 ever gonna be crucial for this team. Hemsky, Penner, Gags & Brule’s contracts are all up(Souray too but…..).

dawgtoy:
    UFA or RFA?

lol…I edited it in my quote of him to be RFA which I think we can safely say is what he meant.

So that leaves the Oilers with $9.768M of cap space, including Studly Wonderbomb, and without any reached bonuses taken into account (about $6M cap space left if all bonuses are reached). I think we’re still sitting comfortably, compared to what we’re used to.

Gotta like that, Khabibulin aside, the Oilers have learned from previous contract blunders and managed to keep their payroll reasonable.

dawgtoy:
    UFA or RFA?

Woops, good catch.. RFA of course ;)

MetalOil: Yes more years would have been good and maybe that is what the hold up on this signing was all about. I think you meant he will still be an RFA when the term on this contract is up.

~And Horcoff’s and Khabi’s too right???~ *sobs* Yup, definitely going to be a hard year for us! That might be reasoning to move one or two of those guys, unfortunately, before things get difficult here. Although it might be best just for them to try and get one or more of these guys signed to an extension during the final year, so we’re not mad-scrambling at the end of the season.

14. Mr.Majestyk says:

They probably won’t want all those guys back by the time the contracts expire. They’ll need to save room for when Hall and those guys need to get re-upped the following year. I guess over the next couple of years Tambi will have an idea which guys he’d still like to have around.

Ya, Mr. M. 2-years might be good time for the perennial evaluator to figure out who should stay and who should go based on the performance of the new crop of kids. Really, that’s not a lot of time to figure the young players out unless they have great years though. But if say Eberle is showing signs of being a really solid RWer, then we might say “OK, well maybe we can move Hemsky at the deadline”… or if say Hall and MPS showed they were going to be very good LWers, maybe you could say “OK, let’s move Penner”.

Good signing by the Oil here. Glad to see Gagner under contract and I expect good things from him this season.

Decent contract. I would have preferred about a quarter million less, but whatever. Good to see he’s signed up on the term the Oil wanted as well.

Cogs is next I guess.

Racki: $2.25? It’s only off that number by $25K… in the grand, nhl-sized scheme of things, that’s a pretty paltry difference. I wonder what they sign Cogs for. He is better than what he’ll get, I’m sure. I’ll guess about $1.6m per.

My bad. I’m a rahtard. I thought it was 2.75 and didn’t see the 2. 2 75 ……

20. mrgod2u says:

awesome signing, right term, right money. Good job Tambo!

(BTW when I first saw it I thought the signing was $4.5/season… I just about fell out of my chair! That will teach me to read Oiler news before my first coffee)

chucker:
    My bad.I’m a rahtard.I thought it was 2.75 and didn’t see the 2.275 ……

Ahh that explains it!

22. mrgod2u says:

Souray, might have to re go through waivers again, as the last time he was waived he was not assigned. Waivers expire if the player is not assigned.

Once he is assigned to the minors, there are a couple of scenarios:

If he is assigned, and reports to play, we must pay him his salary (but not count it towards the cap).

If we assign him and he refuses to show up to training camp, we can either suspend him (no pay) or “Unconditionally waive him” for violating his Standard player contract. Once this is invoked he is a free agent again.

If he is assigned to the Minors, and plays (and not on a conditioning term) then he cannot be brought back up without someone being able to get him at half price. So it is kind of a game of chicken.

Personally I think Souray has too much ego to play in the minors… That said, we still don’t even know if he is a NHL calibre player anymore after his injuries. He is essentially a big question mark until we see him play.

Our best bet is to bring him to camp so he can prove he is healthy. I bet we can scare up a deal once the other teams see that. We can always waive him down before camp is done if there are no takers.

He’ll clear waivers again, but if he didn’t, all the better for us.

I once thought that Souray had value and figured that we can trade him, but the way things are going, it would take a miracle it seems. But you never know.. there are dumb GMs out there. It’s worth a shot around TC time to see if a floor team wants to pick him up, but if not, I think he’s stay on the team the whole time. A deadline deal is possible next year, but doubtful this year.

at any rate, I am now believing what others say.. he’s got negative value.

24. mrgod2u says:

Yeah the problem, in my opinion is that Souray, healthy, is only just worth his current contract. So Souray as a question mark is nothing but risk, and a costly risk at that.

Gm’s would for sure bite to try him at half price, but that is pure lose for us. We are better leaving him there and paying him to play in the minors, because if he comes up we pay half his salary and that half counts on our cap. At least in the minors we are not on the hook for the cap hit.

Still our best bet is to show off that he’s healthy and see if anyone bites. There are a few clubs who will be under the gun to perform this year. Really all we have to do to exceed expectations is to not come in last…

Yah mrgod2u, might thoughts on that are probably pretty similar as yours.

For me, I’m OK with him playing on the big club if he’s not going to be a douche/distraction. Suck it up and play like he can. If it starts to get to where he’s just being a detriment, then the best thing to do is bury him permanently.

Racki: Ahh that explains it!$2.275 is the right price, if you ask me, without a huge struggle to get him to sign.2012 should be a tough year, but I figure we’re cutting Souray loose one way or the other. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if they bury him in OKC and we never hear from him. Or we attempt to bury him, he fails to report, we suspend him… there’s a scenario with this situation where he becomes UFA somehow, isn’t there? Or would we have to wait the full 2 years? Anyone? Bueller?

Yeah for sure. 2.25 is the average that I thought he should land at. Cogs hopefully 1.6-1.75ish. We’ll find out in the next day or so I suspect.

On Souray, I had a thought. Let’s say we waive him and he clears, then goes to OKC and plays there the FULL YEAR. What happens at the end of the year in terms of him coming up to the big club, i.e. during the off season? Does he then have to go through re-entry waivers during the summer? I don’t know because I don’t ever remember it happening, but I would guess that he would be on re-entry come camp 2011 if they did this? Anyone want a kick at this can?

As for him walking away because of ego, don’t bet on it. He’s not walking away from that contract after nobody wants him and seeing lots of his fellow NHL buddies who would normally be no-brainers on many teams, without contracts. These days you have to keep your spot on a team, and more importantly, your contract intact.

EDIT: Also I’m thinking nobody bites on him at waiver time during camp. The number is just too big. At half price he’s snapped up instantly. I guess Katz is the one writing the cheque’s though, so we’ll see if that has any effect.

27. Mr.Majestyk says:

Some people would like the Oilers to just let him rot. Well, depending on how well our young players perform, letting him come back and play a full season with the Oilers might be the equivalent of letting him rot. If he’s not traded he should report to the Oilers and we should have him in the lineup. If he refuses to report he would be suspended and his cap hit would come off the books anyway. I think he’s willing to come back, and we should be ready to accept him back because he’ll make the team better.

28. neufab says:

Glad to see Gagner signed! I think he can be an impact player on this franchise for a long time, and likely the future #1 center.

If Souray is smart he will prove himself so he can go to a good team, a scenario where everyone could win. Call me overly optimistic, but Washington would be a good fit for Souray… in return we need a GOOD 3rd liner.

Mr.Majestyk: Some people would like the Oilers to just let him rot.Well, depending on how well our young players perform, letting him come back and play a full season with the Oilers might be the equivalent of letting him rot.If he’s not traded he should report to the Oilers and we should have him in the lineup.If he refuses to report he would be suspended and his cap hit would come off the books anyway.I think he’s willing to come back, and we should be ready to accept him back because he’ll make the team better.

Yah as mentioned above, my thoughts of sending Souray to OKC are if there is any indication that he will be a distraction/problem here. However if he plays the way he can, I’d definitely be fine with him being here… and so long as he’s the best player in the lineup to fill his spot, which he should be.