Oilers find their play-by-play man…

By , August 24, 2010 8:34 am

Oilers find play by play guy

Oilers find play by play guy

And it’s WAYNE GRETZKY!!! Just kidding.. it’s Jack Michaels:

The Edmonton Oilers today announced that Jack Michaels has been named to the position of radio play-by-play voice of the Edmonton Oilers. Michaels will partner with host and colour commentator Bob Stauffer in delivering all Oilers games via the Oilers Radio Network and flagship station 630 CHED.

Michaels, a veteran of over 800 hockey broadcasts, joins the Oilers after eight seasons as the radio and television voice of the ECHL’s Alaska Aces. While with the Aces, Michaels was honoured as the ECHL Broadcaster of the Year in 2004 and was selected by the ECHL to broadcast their annual All Star Game on five separate occasions.

I’ve never heard of the guy, but welcome aboard Jack. You have some pretty big shoes to fill.

7 Responses to “Oilers find their play-by-play man…”

There was one guy from the Score someone was plugging on ON. I watched the video he linked and he sounded pretty good.. had a good radio sound to him. Disappointed its not him, but hopefully this guy has just as good of a hockey-radio voice.

Really though, I won’t likely be listening much on radio anyways. Especially with Stauffer slobbering on the mic during the color commentary.

2. RyanB says:

I guess it’s news because he replaces a legend but like you I don’t listen to many radio games anymore. I’ll be sure to catch some of the ones that Rod will do this year just for the memories but I doubt I’ll listen to many more than that.

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Even with the glorious Rod Phillips in the booth, I only listened to them if I was in the car going somewhere. Mind you, in recent years, there’s only so many times you can stand listening to him fudge up names.. kinda like watching Neal + Cole on CBC… “#4 for the other team passes to the d-man…”.

I remember hearing one of those guys say “Theodore makes the save!” and he wasn’t even playing for either team.

Also, favorite Rod Phillips moment (other than the “doodoo” comment for Regehr)…. calling a Toronto vs. Edmonton game, he cried out “and finger bangs it around the corner!”. Oh so innocent, Rod.

Actually this guy sounds pretty good… check out the call here:

A little over the top at the tail end, but I like the enthusiasm. :P

Here is another clip someone on Lowetide dug up (Credit to CorpseFx on HFBoards for that first link, credit to Downright Fierce on lo for this second link):

I haven’t been able to watch that one yet though.

6. Mr.Majestyk says:

He sounds alright, but when he calls the OT goals it almost sounds like a completely different person. He basically loses his mind and turns into Will Ferrel doing Harry Carey.

Which really is PURE AWESOME. I could listen to Will Ferrell doing Harry Carey all night. lol

OK.. maybe not what we want in a PbP guy. I’m going to go check that youtube video now that I can and report back…

Edit: I gotta say, I love this guy’s overtime voice. Although the “oooooovveerrrrtiiiiiiime!” part maybe isn’t my fave thing. But I could get used to it. It’s his catch phrase thing, obviously. Like Quinn’s “OvverrrTiiiiiiiime… winner!”

His overtime excitement is pretty electric. You want a guy that is that jacked up when he needs to be. But to his own admission, he says he thinks he needs to down down the excitement when it’s a nothing goal in a nothing game.