UPDATED: D-day for Rekhabi… found guilty on 3 charges

By , August 26, 2010 10:58 pm
Rekhabi looks good in orange..

Rekhabi looks good in orange..

Friday (August 26th… tomorrow.. today… yesterday, depending on when you read this) is the day Nikolai Khabibulin finds out his fate (assuming no more delays).

For those who have been living in a hole, or who google this article 12 years from now, Khabibulin was arrested for Extreme DUI on February 8, 2010 – caught ripping around in his Ferrari with a blood-alcohol level of 0.16% (2x the legal limit). If found guilty, Rekhabi could face a minimum of 30 days in federal, pound-me-in-the-ass prison. OK, really, it’s more likely to be a pretty cush prison, once attended by the likes of Lindsay Lohan, and not a maximum security prison like wherever Robert Downey Jr. has spent 16 of the last 20 years of his life.

Read on here, in the Edmonton Journal article (which has thrilling information in the article such as what color of underwear inmates at Tent City in Arizona wear – pink).

I still think Khabibulin is our best bet in goal this year (Martin Gerber included) if healthy and if un-incarcerated. But that said, I don’t really have sympathy for drunk drivers.

UPDATED: The trial is set for 2:30PM MST.

UPDATE 2 (@5:30PM): Khabibulin has been found guilty on 3 of the 4 charges: DUI over 0.08, extreme DUI (over 0.16) and excessive speeding. The charge of impairment to the slightest degree was thrown out. Sentencing will occur at a later date, but assuming no changes in the ruling (not sure if this part can be appealed??), Khabibulin will spend at least 30 days in prison.

UPDATE 3 (@6:05PM): Tentative sentencing date, pending approval by the state: August 31st… moving pretty fast, which is good for Rekhabi.

UPDATE 4 (@7:00PM): Tweeted by John Shannon of Sportsnet: “NHL source confirms a suspension from the league is possible.”

Update 5 (@7:45PM): The Oilers have released an official statement on the ruling:

Edmonton Oilers General Manager Steve Tambellini released the following statement regarding today’s decision from the Scottsdale City Court.

“The Edmonton Oilers acknowledge and respect the decision handed down today by the Scottsdale City Court to goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin. Both Nikolai and the Oilers organization recognize the severity of what has transpired. We plan on meeting with Nikolai, his agent and the National Hockey League in the near future.”

Once sentencing has been imposed on Tuesday, August 31st, Oilers General Manager Steve Tambellini will be available to the media.

Edmonton Oilers hockey is presented in part by the Rexall Family of Pharmacies, Molson Canadian, ATB Financial, TELUS, Cenovus Energy and Ford.

UPDATE 6 (@11:15AM, Aug 28): Per Nick Kypreos of Sportsnet: “Nik Khabibulin’s sentence hearing in Phoenix is scheduled for Tuesday @ 3 pm MST”. Also per John Shannon of Sportsnet: “Don’t be surprised if the Oilers discipline Khabibulin soon after Tuesday’s sentence.”

102 Responses to “UPDATED: D-day for Rekhabi… found guilty on 3 charges”

1. Mr.Majestyk says:

He does look good in orange. Let’s trade him to the Flyers!

I’ll be glad when all the hoopla surrounding Khabi is over and done with.

2. Sheldon Oilers Fan for Life!!! says:

Nice photoshop work! Can you turn it in to a wallpaper with an Oilers logo (Just kidding) I really hope they throw the book at him.

haha, thanks.. and welcome to the site. I am just hoping that they don’t give him any special treatment. If some regular shmoe would get 30 days, give him 30 days. If they would get 6 months, give him 6 months. Just don’t let him off the hook, with the free celebrity pass.

4. RyanB says:

For a first offense he’ll get the minimum I would bet. When he eventually gets back to Edmonton he should go around to a bunch of schools and talk to the kids about how freaking stupid it is to drink and drive. At least that way something positive might come out of all of this.

By the way, nice Office Space reference.

So, I found this…

Arizona Extreme DUI Penalties: First Offense Extreme DUI (BAC .150 – .199)

Jail:
    Range of 30 to 180 days in jail. Minimum of 30 consecutive days in jail. The Court may suspend 20 of the 30 days if you successfully complete all recommended counseling and education.
    Fines & Costs:
    Aproximately $3,000.00 in fines and costs, plus jail costs. The more jail time imposed the greater the additional costs. NOTE: Jail costs can amount to thousands of dollars in addition to the fines and costs.
    License:
    The MVD will suspend your drivers’ license for 90 days. You may be elibible for a work/school permit after the first 30 days of the suspension.
    Counseling:
    If convicted you must get a substance abuse evaluation and comply with any recommendation or be subject to additional jail time.
    Probation:
    You may be placed on probation for up to five years.
    Community Service:
    The court may impose community service.
    MADD Victims’ Impact Panel:
    The court may order you to attend one or more sessions of the Mothers Against Drunk Driving Victims Impact Panel.
    Ignition Interlock Device:
    Required for 12 months after license reinstatement.

found it[url=”http://www.duiarizona.com/Law/Penalties/penalties.htm”] here.[/url]

My guess is he’ll probably get the suspended sentence. “The Court may suspend 20 of the 30 days if you successfully complete all recommended counseling and education.”

Also, I don’t think he’ll be going to a “cushy” place, I’m pretty sure that the county he was convicted in, all inmates go to tent city for those types of convictions.

As featured on National Geographic Channel’s “Lockdown”.
    Scary place.

fun!

good info here…

Potential penalties for Khabi’s Charge:

First Offense Extreme DUI (BAC .150 – .199)

Jail:
    Fines & Costs:
    License:
    Counseling:
    Probation:
    You may be placed on probation for up to five years.
    Community Service:
    The court may impose community service.
    MADD Victims’ Impact Panel:
    Ignition Interlock Device:
    Required for 12 months after license reinstatement.

7. victoriaoilerfan says:

Sorry to change the subject but I have a Souray/waiver question.
    It is my understanding because Souray cleared waivers that he can be sent down to the Barons without any problems.
    Question: if we recall him from the BArons back to the Oilers, does he have to clear waivers or re entry waivers?
    Question 2: If the answer is no to the above and he makes it back to the OIlers and we decide to send him down again, then does he have to clear waivers or re entry waivers?
    It seems to me from what I read about waivers he can be sent to the Barons with no problem now, but I am a little confused that if we call him up what the status is.

Ok, and I’m no expert but my understanding is it’s like this:

Now, if we assign him to OKC say, he would be obligated to play there, but once assigned if we wanted to bring him back up he would than need to clear re-entry waivers.

I hope that made some sense.

9. victoriaoilerfan says:

It does

gr8one: Ok, and I’m no expert but my understanding is it’s like this:He cleared waivers, but has not been assigned to play anywhere, so as of right now he is pretty much in hockey limbo.Now, if we assign him to OKC say he would be obligated to play there, but once assigned if we wanted to bring him back up he would than need to clear re-entry waivers.But since he has not been assigned anywhere, we could just re-assign him to the NHL with no re-entry waivers.I hope that made some sense.

It does make sense and that is the way I read it as well. So the real issue is that sending Souray to the minors is no small decision. Once he is there we can’t get him back unless he is exposed to re entry which we all know he will not clear and we are on the hook for half his salary. I am just sure that Burke would somehow pick him up. Wouldn’t we all just puke if we had to pay the Leafs 2.7 per year for 2 years and they get Shelly. Yuk.

Well, yes and no…we haven’t assigned him anywhere yet, we ONLY put him on waivers, so he can still be assigned straight to the Oilers without passing through any sort of waivers again. At least that’s how I understand it as currently being.

I think(at least I hope) Tambi would just sit him before assigning him somewhere else and then risk exposing him to re-entry.

Yah I think Vic is just saying that if we did decide to assign him to OKC, and then later decided to recall him.

I think I’d just let him rot around for a bit, and then later put him on waivers again whenever we can. With any luck, he’ll just head to Russia or something. Sorry, I like the guy, and I keep flip flopping on this… but I think it’s just bad mojo to have him around still.

ahh, I see…and yes, I agree about the letting him rot/mojo comment.

@gr8one’s post about the research on potential punishment…

I think that MADD Victims’ Impact Panel sounds the worst of it all..

14. victoriaoilerfan says:

Thats what I meant Racki. I know IF we assign him to the Baron’s it is a big time decision because he will have to stay or surely will be picked up on re entry if we call him up. That’s why I think people that want to send him to the Barons just for the sake of vengence are really short sighted.
    I would put him in camp. Show the league he is healthy and is going to honour his contract obligations like a pro. That will be the best way to get him moved/traded IMO.
    That will take some mature thinking and talking from Tambi and Souray. Not sure *either are capable of that, but that is what I would like to see.
    Souray and Khabby have to possibilties of being major distractions for the Oilers going into camp. It’s the last thing we need, but it is what it is.

15. MetalOil says:

I am not so sure that if found guilty he lands in one of those ” cushy, Lindsay Lohan type minimal prisons ” . According to legal experts DUI convicts in Maricopa County serve their sentence in the infamous Tent City at the County Jail. It’s an outside jail, where men sleep in army tents.”

“Tent City, referred to as “an American gulag”, is the outdoor extension of the Maricopa County Jail. The facility is a giant pen, enclosed by chain link fencing and razor wire, where prisoners are housed in army surplus tents. The prisoners sleep, eat, and live outdoors in the Arizona weather. Prisoners are forced to wear striped uniforms, pink underwear and pink socks and they are fed a diet of expired foodstuffs. The facility has been the subject of complaints, protests and investigations since inception.”

This sounds anything but cushy to me.

I don’t know If I missed something but the Journal link says that if found guilty of the misdemeanour he could face a minimum of 30 days. Where his charges downgraded from Extreme DUI or something ?

16. Mr.Majestyk says:

Racki: @gr8one’s post about the research on potential punishment…I think that MADD Victims’ Impact Panel sounds the worst of it all..I picture a panel of a bunch of crazy middle-aged women yelling at Khabibulin. lol

I don’t think its like that at all. Its mothers telling their personal story of loss so that the drunk driver gets a first hand look at what can happen and the lives it ruins. If Khabi isn’t already aware of the seriousness of his offence(which I think he is or he’s an idiot)the victim impact statements bring it all home.

Yeah, I’m really hoping he goes to the Maricopa County Jail, which is where these types of sentences end up.

For “Lock Up” fans, yes, that’s tent city with the striped uni’s and pink underwear and flipflops. Bwahahhahahahahha!

I sooooooooooooooo hope he goes there. It would be priceless. Also, the Sherriff there is a super hardass on imigration shit. If convicted, expect him to yank all of Khabbi’s visas, especially since he’s Russian.

Maybe he can go play with Kovi over in the K, which I also hope happens.

EDIT: On the Souray situation, I think Tambi will want to send him down and let him rot. I hope he does, but I doubt Lowe wants that but who knows? Ideal is send him down and let him get pissed like Nylander and send him to Europe with all the other prima donnas. I am really not holding out any hope for a trade at this point. If he made 3 million then he’d be tradeable. Not at 5.4.

I think I mentioned this here before, but my wife lost her Mom to a drunk driver a few years back, and in part of her coping process she actually singlehandedly brought a new(much needed)MADD chapter to the region we live in.

And really, in some ways Racki is right, for quite some time MADD was pretty “militant” and in some cases it was like he described. MADD still has some issues, but it really has gotten away from that sort of hardcore crap, they are certainly trying to change that image, but stigmas like that are hard to reverse.

Btw, slight mistake on the time of the case (taken from CBC). It starts at 2:30 MST. Although to CBC’s credit, they said MT.. which I think doesn’t factor in daylight savings. Why do these places have to be difficult? :P

http://twitter.com/azc_mclellan This chick will be tweeting and queefing about the case from the court room. Got it off of a thread on HF.

T minus 8 minutes to defcon 4.

This seems to be a page of all the queefers. http://twitter.com/search?q=%23oilers

lol…Russian translator? Khabi’s been in N.America now for like 17 years, he needs a translator about as much as I do. Some sort of weird legal ploy on his lawyers behalf?

Yeah for sure. Playing the “we drink wodka from our baby bottles back in Russia” card.

So he got off of “count 1″ according to this sports writer chick… and per the sun, here are the counts:

He is charged with DUI – impaired to slightest degree, DUI-BAC of .08 or more, and exceeding the speed limit by more than 20 mph. All three counts are misdemeanours.

I can only guess that he got off on the speeding…. but I can’t see how he should get off on any of those.

or not:

“khabis lawyer saying they have a retest of the blood lower than the states”

Unrelated…

gr8one: I don’t know why this site hates on you so much. I occasionally find your messages in the spam folder. Stop spamming, asshole! :P

lol, it’s usually when I try doing some fancy coding shit…or, some not so fancy BBcode which never seems to work, but whatever…lol.

hmm, i really don’t know if the “BBCode” stuff works for you peon types. The site strips HTML codes from posts, I believe (not for admins though), so I was never really sure if the BBcode worked. Sorry ;) AFAIK it should work.. otherwise that’s a pretty butt-useless plugin someone created. But I hadn’t used it.. I always type HTML

I thought it worked before for you or someone though.

No worries about me coding anything. :P Oh, except for smilies. :D

yeah, it had worked before…which is why I think I’m the slow kid in the corner hitting my head against the wall.

I try it, it doesn’t work…I try to edit it, and in doing so forget that your spam filter hates when you repost virtually identical things consecutively and…well, you know the rest. lol

The problem could also be that some plugins break when WordPress updates.. so the plugin then needs to update after. All that stuff is nearly automatic (it notifies me when an update is ready, and I go install). So who knows, maybe this bbcode one is currently busted.

Azc_mclellan tweets: I believe the count thrown out might be related to the speeding. I believe the 3 other counts are related to the DUI (3 others? I thought 3 total per The Sun – but something might have been tacked on such as extreme DUI, as I don’t see that listed in his charges on the Sun).

“Judge not buying Khabibulin’s lawyer’s argument of errors in the blood testing argument ”
    #azc_mclellan

Chucker wins by a hair..

Racki: Judge not buying +/- “errors in testing” defense (Khabi’s lawyer arguing that there is a margin of error which could put him under extreme DUI limit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo ^^^^

Sounds like plea bargain talks. Both side’s lawyers left the courtroom. Hmmmmmm.

EDIT: Nope. Must have been to call in the next witness. Damn I wish this was on court tv!!!

Racki: Prosecutor: “Hey listen, I gotta be home by 5:00 to watch the new CSI, can we speed this up a bit?”

Maybe Khabbi promised them a ride in his Ferrari and free drinks?

Racki: He’ll need someone to blow into the breathalizer so he can start the car, after all.

That’s what a lawyer is for.

“The count thrown out is DUI with impairment to the slightest degree. Other 3 counts are DUI with BAC of .08 or more, excessive speed and extreme DUI with BAC of .15 or more” #azc_melellan

“There will be a ruling but sentencing trials are separate” @ 4:48mnt #azc_mcllelan

“Sentencing will be on a later date not yet determined
    less than 5 seconds ago via ÜberTwitter .Guilty on all charges
    half a minute ago via ÜberTwitter” #azc_mclellan

Not another season of JDD and DD…..God help us all!

43. MetalOil says:

If he misses any of training camp Steve Tambellini MUST try to get out of this bonkerz riddled contract. If he fails to at least try this then I will consider all the positive moves he made this summer a wash with this situation being considered.

44. MetalOil says:

Bostonoiler: Not another season of JDD and DD…..God help us all!

DD and Gerber seems like a much better tandem to me. OR just maybe and I do pray for this one: A tandem of DD and Nemi (if the price is right).

Honestly if I’m Tambi now I look into the morals clause. This is the perfect chance to get out of this contract and nab a good youngster in Niemi.

Racki: So Khabi guilty of all but the “impairment to the slightest degree” charge, hey. Well, we know he’ll be in for at least 30 days. I wonder if at any point we hear of Khabi’s side appealing? Or does he suck it up and do the time. I wouldn’t think he’d want to delay things any more than necessary. Since the sentence is a minimum sentence is 30 days, he will miss all of TC, and I’m going to assume he’ll miss a bit of the start of the seaosn too.

Yeah, I’m not sure he’d get any sympathy from any other judge in AZ. They don’t f around with that shit. He’s done.

The only thing that might be possible, and I doubt it since he’s a foreigner, is a deal to do his time in the off-season or weedends etc.

I’m hoping Tambi grows a pair and jettisons his ass. This is bullshit to have a player charged to this degree in this day and age (it’s not 1985 anymore MacT…).

Rescind the contract and sign Niemi. I’d say Khabbi is likley going to be playing in Russia in the not so distant future. (I pray. God, I pray.)

Just friggin’ brutal.

EDIT: Also, ReKhabbi needs a GUILTY stamp on his picture.

New poll up, however this new theme doesn’t like the Poll plug-in for some reason.. so if you want to vote, you’ll have to switch themes temporarily, vote, then switch back if you prefer this one.

49. MetalOil says:

Racki:

He should miss all of the season then and end up in the “K” if he ever wants to play pro hockey again.

Forget the morals clause for a second. It’s the fact that he will have an unexcused absence from work that should be the major reason the Oilers can get out of his contract. This is just plain unacceptable. If I didn’t show up for work because I was in jail then my employer would probably replace me. This should be no different.

Now Tamby must make the tough but totally necessary decision and get out of his contract. Failure to do so will negate most if not all of his positive moves made over the summer.

I hear you, but don’t bet on it… I would be absolutely blown away if Tambellini used the rare-used (in any sport) morals clause on his “MVP”.