Taylor Hall Humble After Earning Highest Rookie Contract In Oilers History

By , July 6, 2010 9:51 am
Taylor Hall signs 3-year entry-level contract with the Edmonton Oilers

Taylor Hall signs 3-year entry-level contract with the Edmonton Oilers

As everyone in Edmonton now knows, Taylor Hall signed with the Oilers yesterday. The contract is patterned after that of John Tavares. It is a 3-year (standard) deal worth $900,000 base salary, with a $90,000 signing bonus (maximum allowable) as well as $2.85M in potential performance bonuses for a cap-hit of $3.75M. This is the highest rookie contract in Oilers history.

Hall isn’t letting it go to his head at all though. “I haven’t done anything yet. I’m not even on the team yet,” said Hall. “It’s tough for the first pick overall. You don’t know anyone on the team yet you’re coming in as such a high-touted player. I’m just going to try and fit in. Be humble, and be ready.”

Hall told reporters “This is a big step. It just shows I have this part out of the way and that I can get focused on hockey. I want to make a big impact at training camp. To be honest, it’s been pretty hectic. Eventually, I’m going to have to get back to training really hard and to just try and get away from the game as much as I can.”

Hall has already put aside some funds to pay for a new vehicle for his parents. “You know, I was thinking about that,” said Taylor Hall’s father, Steve. “I was coming home in my work vehicle and the brakes were squeaking. So yeah, we could probably use a new vehicle, but that’s Taylor’s money, not our money. We’re not desperate or anything. We’re down-to-earth people and I think that served Taylor well. It keeps you humble. We’re not poor but I always tell Taylor to play poor, because if you play like a big shot, it doesn’t work. It just doesn’t.”

Sounds like the lessons have paid off, at least as far as helping keep Taylor humble.

Also, a reminder that the 2010 Edmonton Oilers Development Camp started today at 10:00AM

DATE TIME EVENT
TUESDAY, JULY 6, 2010 10:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. ON-ICE SESSION (Clareview Arena)
WEDNESDAY, JULY 7, 2010 10:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. ON-ICE SESSION (Clareview Arena)
THURSDAY, JULY 8, 2010 10:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. ON-ICE SESSION (Clareview Arena)
GAME TIME – 7:00 P.M. NIGHT AT THE BALL PARK
(Capitals vs. Cimarrones – Telus Field)
FRIDAY, JULY 9, 2010 9:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M. 3-ON-3 TOURNAMENT

Development Camp Roster

FORWARDS (18)
# NAME POS SHOOTS HEIGHT WEIGHT DOB BIRTH PLACE 09-10 TEAM DRAFT
32 CAMERON ABNEY RW RIGHT 6′ 4″ 192 23-May-91 ALDERGROVE, BC, CAN EDMONTON (WHL) 2009 (3-82) EDM
34 MIKE CONNOLLY F LEFT 5′ 9″ 175 3-Jul-89 CALGARY, AB U OF MINNESOTA-DULUTH (WCHA) UNDRAFTED
27 PHILIPPE CORNET LW LEFT 6′ 0″ 173 28-Mar-90 VAL-SENNEVILLE, QC, CAN ROUYN-NORANDA (QMJHL) 2008 (5-133) EDM
24 DREW CZERWONKA LW LEFT 6′ 2″ 192 1-Jul-92 GLENAVON, SK, CAN KOOTENAY (WHL) 2010 (6-166) EDM
25 JORDAN EBERLE C RIGHT 5′ 10″ 174 15-May-90 REGINA, SK, CAN REGINA (WHL) 2008 (1-22) EDM
19 TAYLOR HALL LW LEFT 6′ 1″ 185 14-Nov-91 CALGARY, AB, CAN WINDSOR (OHL) 2010 (1-1) EDM
22 CURTIS HAMILTON LW LEFT 6′ 3″ 202 4-Dec-91 KELOWNA, BC, CAN SASKATOON (WHL) 2010 (2-48) EDM
18 TEEMU HARTIKAINEN C LEFT 6′ 1″ 198 3-May-90 KUOPIO, FIN KAIPA KUOPIO (FNL) 2008 (6-163) EDM
33 CONNOR JONES F LEFT 5′ 9″ 165 16-Aug-90 MONTROSE, BC, CAN VERNON VIPERS (BCHL) UNDRAFTED
16 KELLEN JONES F LEFT 5′ 9″ 165 16-Aug-90 MONTROSE, BC, CAN VERNON VIPERS (BCHL) 2010 (7-202) EDM
20 MILAN KYTNAR C LEFT 6′ 0″ 180 19-May-89 TOPOLCANY, SVK VANCOUVER (WHL) 2007 (5-127) EDM
26 ANTON LANDER C LEFT 6′ 0″ 194 24-Apr-91 SUNDSVALL, SWE TIMRA IK (SEL) 2009 (2-40) EDM
23 RYAN MARTINDALE C LEFT 6′ 3″ 183 27-Oct-91 BROOKLIN, ON, CAN OTTAWA (OHL) 2010 (3-61) EDM
28 MAGNUS PAAJARVI-SVENSSON LW LEFT 6′ 1″ 201 12-Apr-91 NORRKOPING, SWE TIMRA IK (SEL) 2009 (1-10) EDM
29 KRISTIANS PELSS F LEFT 5′ 11″ 179 9-Sep-92 PREILI, LATVIA DYNAMO RIGA (JR) 2010 (7-181) EDM
21 TYLER PITLICK C RIGHT 6′ 2″ 194 1-Nov-91 CENTERVILLE, MN, USA MINNESOTA STATE MANKATO (WCHA) 2010 (2-31) EDM
14 TONI RAJALA RW LEFT 5′ 10″ 163 29-Mar-91 PARKANO, FIN BRANDON (WHL) 2009 (4-101) EDM
15 CHRIS VANDE VELDE C LEFT 6′ 2″ 190 15-Mar-87 MOORHEAD, MN, USA NORTH DAKOTA (WCHA) 2005 (4-97) EDM
DEFENCEMEN (7)
# NAME POS SHOOTS HEIGHT WEIGHT DOB BIRTH PLACE 09-10 TEAM DRAFT
6 KYLE BIGOS D RIGHT 6′ 5″ 230 12-May-89 UPLAND, CA, USA MERRIMACK (WCHA) 2009 (4-99) EDM
10 JEREMIE BLAIN D RIGHT 6′ 2″ 190 19-Mar-92 LONGUEUIL, QC, CAN ACADIE-BATHURST (QMJHL) 2010 (4-91) EDM
12 BRANDON DAVIDSON D LEFT 6′ 1″ 190 21-Aug-91 TABER, AB, CAN REGINA (WHL) 2010 (6-162) EDM
2 TROY HESKETH D LEFT 6′ 2″ 178 5-Jul-91 MINNETONKA, MN, USA MINNETONKA (USHS) 2009 (3-70) EDM
13 DAMON KIPP D RIGHT 6′ 0″ 205 9-Apr-88 SALMON ARM, BC, CAN U OF NEW HAMPSHIRE (HOCKEY EAST) UNDRAFTED
8 MARTIN MARINCIN D LEFT 6′ 4″ 187 18-Feb-92 KOSICE, SVK SLOVAKIA U20 (SVK) 2010 (2-46) EDM
5 JEFF PETRY D RIGHT 6′ 3″ 176 9-Dec-87 ANN ARBOR, MI, USA MICHIGAN STATE (CCHA) 2006 (2-45) EDM
GOALIES (3)
# NAME POS CATCHES HEIGHT WEIGHT DOBH BIRTH PLACE 09-10 TEAM DRAFT
40 TYLER BUNZ G LEFT 6′ 1″ 196 11-Feb-92 ST. ALBERT, AB, CAN MEDICINE HAT (WHL) 2010 (5-121) EDM
30 BRYAN PITTON G LEFT 6′ 2″ 168 26-Jan-88 MISSISSAUGA, ON, CAN STOCKTON (ECHL) 2006 (5-133) EDM
1 OLIVIER ROY G LEFT 6′ 0″ 165 12-Jul-91 AMQUI, QC, CAN CAPE BRETON (QMJHL) 2009 (5-133) EDM

19 Responses to “Taylor Hall Humble After Earning Highest Rookie Contract In Oilers History”

FYI, he has had his team-standard phone call with Shawn Horcoff. I kid, but I think it’s pretty good that Horcoff does that kind of stuff with players… he reaches out to help them feel welcome. Always said he’s captain material, and that’s one reason why. I’m not opening that can of worms though… we’ll see who the Oil end up picking to be their captain later on.

P.S., new poll up.

I to believe Horcoff will be the next captain. He is a versatile player and seems to have the right attitude and presence. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him get the C.

It’s nice to see Hall saying all the right things and commenting that he has not even made the team yet. This kid is going to wind it up and it sounds like he’s super competative. I like it. Should be some good stuff out of the mini-camp this week.

3. mrgod2u says:

I seriously hope that the captainship is earned this season instead of being passed off to whoever has the seniority etc… Moreau was great in the locker room and the on-ice leadership did us no good (although he did lead in key penalties that stifled a comeback). The only thing Horc leads on the ice is the -30 club. What a great reward for sub-par play. We keep talking about modelling our club on the Hawks and the Pens… So who are the captains there? The guys that lead the team on the score sheet as well as the ice. There is not a single player with a letter from the start of last season that has earned the right to carry one this year… Maybe Hemsky (mostly because he did well before injury), but even he is the first one off the ice at practice and has publically complained about his role in the past.

So yeah, I guess I really do want Horc to get the C, but only if that means that he is earning it on the ice. Because, if that was the case, he would also be nearly earning his salary. Which, as I have stated before, is the best scenario for him and us.

I don’t think it’s fair to stick Horcoff with the green jacket. And really, O’Sully led that, technically. Anyways, Horcoff plays harder minutes than anyone on the team, often starting in the defensive zone. He’s burdened that load for much of his career, and it doesn’t do his +/- any justice. That said, he had a pretty poor season last year, except for the tail end of it perhaps. Even he would admit that, I’m sure.

I think we’re going to see a rejuvinated Horcoff this year. I just hope the Oilers do a better job of building this team with guys who can help him in defensive areas. That starts with the blue line, in which we’ve been absolute shit in the defensive zone for at least a couple of years now.

I’m pretty sure though, that whomever gets the C will be deserving of it. I would like to see the players vote on that and decide who is captain.

5. victoriaoilerfan says:

6. mrgod2u says:

Horc may not have had it at season end, but he is the worst +- of any Oiler still on the team. I have always liked Horcoff, I just don’t think he deserves the C, I think it would add more pressure to him to perform offensively and that has not worked yet. If he only had his old contract I don’t think there would be nearly as much criticism of his play. He does bring it defensively every game, but does that make him a leader… We haven’t had an offensive threat as the captain since… Weight? Time to mix it up a bit. Let’s all hope that Horc earns top line minutes and scores top line goals and is rejuvenated… I just don’t think that pinning the C on him before season start will make that any more likely.

victoriaoilerfan: Why not just not worry about anyone wearing the “C” and let someone step up and earn it? The players will decide when that decision has been made clear to them.What is ironic to me is that if Souray had not shot off his mouth, he might have been the guy this year.

I like this idea the best.

Who’s worrying about it?

Racki: Who’s worrying about it?

Yeah. I’m not really worried either. I think it’s clear that Tambi and Lowe are taking a hard line in a new direction. Whether or not that translates to a veteran Oiler getting the C or not does not seem to be determined yet.

I think with all the great PR they are getting lately they will take their time with how they handle the captaincy. I’d like to see a competative camp and then have the players vote on it.

Yah that would definitely be something good to see, but I think whomever it is would be deserving. They’re not just going to hand it over to anyone, I’m sure.

There’s a few guys on the team that I’m pretty sure would make very good captains too, so I think they have a good set to choose from for captains and alternates.

11. victoriaoilerfan says:

Racki: Who’s worrying about it?

lol if your an Oilers fan you worry about everything. The other thing I like about just letting things ride for awhile and let the players make their choice over time is that it is part of the “new culture” mentality. The thing I don’t like about Horc. getting the “c” right of the bat, is the appearance of the same old same old.
    I like Horc., don’t get me wrong. It’s just time IMO to turn a new page for the Oilers. If it turns out they pick Horc. in the end so be it. He is not a terrible choice by an means.
    O/T. I hope horc. turn things around this year. I think he gets a bum rap because of his contract and playing tough minutes. Frankly I am not sure Ovie. would look and better on this team, although he would probably still score more the rest of his game will be in the toilet.

Hall is saying all the right things. I think he is going to tear it up this season. As far as Horc being captain, I have nothing against him, but I think we should wait until someone steps up. I like Horc and really hope he has a bounce back season, but I don’t think naming him captain is the right move at this moment.

victoriaoilerfan:
    lol if your an Oilers fan you worry about everything.The other thing I like about just letting things ride for awhile and let the players make their choice over time is that it is part of the “new culture” mentality. The thing I don’t like about Horc. getting the “c” right of the bat, is the appearance of the same old same old.

I think people suggesting Horc are saying Horc not because he’s a vet of the old school mentality, but because his personality makes him great for that kind of role. He gets along with all the players, young and old. I can easily see the players picking him, even with all the youth there. I do agree that they need to turn a new page, but I think Horcoff still can be part of that new look Oilers and provide the needed leadership. But yes, everyone agrees that it should be up to the team to decide this stuff. I just hope they don’t go and choose someone like Hemsky, but it’s their choice. :P

But just because people are suggesting good names for captains doesn’t mean we’re saying “omg, they better make so-and-so captain!!!”.

On a related note, if they’re going with a youth-based /new-look leadership, and if I were on the team, I’d vote for Whitney, Stortini and Penner as captains. Yes, I said Stortini ;)

14. mrgod2u says:

So easy, a caveman can do it.

mrgod2u: If Stortini gets the C I think we need to change his nickname to Captain Caveman….

Haha, that would be pretty funny and appropriate.

I love Storts haha. I’d buy the jersey with the C lol

man I can’t wait for the season to start!!

I can’t help but think that having all off the pressure off of having to be “the guy” when it comes to offense and no longer being seen as the only real offensive “talent” we have is going to do wonders for Hemsky. I predict a breakout year for him.

My other prediction is that an Oiler will be in contention for the Calder, if not run away with it. No, not Mr. T Hall, I’m thinking it’s gonna be MPS.

That would be interesting to see. I’d love that. I hope MPS can come in and adjust well to the NHL game. I would think he would have the best shot, given that he’s already playing in a mens league.