Souray placed on Waivers / Strudwick re-signs / Oilers sign Richard Petiot

By , July 2, 2010 10:43 am

Souray placed on Waivers

As per Nick Kypreos’ twitter, Sheldon Souray has been placed on Waivers (thanks VictoriaOilFan for the heads up).

So this brings about some complicated scenarios if Souray clears.

Firstly, will they assign him to OKC? I doubt it, but let’s say they do. He won’t report to Oklahoma City. That’s a given. If he doesn’t report, I believe the Oilers can suspend him, and I believe a suspension to a player will waive cap hit. Now I’m not to sure what would happen from there, but I would be willing to bet it could be complex, and might even get ugly. But this definitely brings up an interesting situation. If they do assign him to OKC, they also could recall him and try and get a team to pick him up on recall waivers. This would mean that the claiming team and the Oilers each pay half of his salary and account for half of his salary cap hit.

On the flip-side, if Souray is claimed on regular waivers, we’ll be free of his $5.4M cap hit for the next 2 years. Will a team take a risk on him though, given his injury history? Also, what are the Oilers going to do with that cap hit? I can’t see them needing that kind of cash in the next two years, but it still would be nice to be able to use that money on either another (or you could say our only) solid goaltender and/or possibly a shutdown d-man.

UPDATE: 10 AM EST, Souray has cleared waivers. I think this should be a sign to him that he’ll be a very tough sell if teams won’t take him for free.

Strudwick re-signs

The Oil have re-signed defenseman Jason Strudwick. The deal is 1 year at 725k (perfect). He’s a slug out there, but at least he’s willing to stick up for teammates, and he’s a great presence in the locker room, apparently.

Oilers sign Defenseman Richard Petiot

I think this is a depth signing for the Oklahoma City Barons. Or at least, I hope it is. Because he’s not likely someone who will help the NHL club any. But Richard Petiot should be good for the Barons, however.

Oilers land their enforcer…

Steve MacIntyre has returned to the Oilers. The deal is a 1-year deal worth $500k.

Per Oilers official e-mail:

General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with forward Steve MacIntyre on a one-year contract.

MacIntyre, 29, re-joins the organization after being picked up on waivers by the Florida Panthers at the beginning of last season.

98 Responses to “Souray placed on Waivers / Strudwick re-signs / Oilers sign Richard Petiot”

1. victoriaoilerfan says:

O/T
    Souray has just been put on waivers!!

2. Mr.Majestyk says:

Souray placed on waivers. I’m surprised by this.

Mr.Majestyk: Souray placed on waivers.I’m surprised by this.

Wow, did not expect that.

Hey Racki, with all this defensemen news (signings, waivers, ufa market), maybe its time to make a new post? I have a wicked picture for you of Struds giving someone a headache with his slap chop hand….

4. victoriaoilerfan says:

More from Nick’s twitter:

RealKyper
    .Told Sheldon Souray will not be bought out if he clears. He is owed 4.5M per for 2 more years. His cap hit is 5.4M
    13 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

5. victoriaoilerfan says:

You know regarding Souray, I don’t know exactly where to post news like this on this site??

Well Vic, I’m not at all a mod-nazi, so if you post it in the wrong area, don’t worry about it. But General Discussion is generally where I suggest putting stuff if it’s not already talked about (so thumbs up for getting that right!). Plus sometimes I’ll move stuff if it’s in the wrong area and there is a better place for it. Unfortunately I can’t move stuff to the General Discussion area though.

Anyways.. wow, I was just thinking about this as a possibility. Can’t say I like it, but I guess it just goes to show how little value he has. Hopefully someone picks him up. I will hate like hell if he clears and hate even more if we recall him and get stuck with half the tab (as for sure a team would claim him on re-entry).

7. victoriaoilerfan says:

What does it mean when the Oilers are saying they won’t buy him out? If he clears we are keeping him then?

9. Mr.Majestyk says:

Right here is just fine.

I’m really shocked that they were forced to go the waiver route. I mean, I realize that it could come to that, if there was no way of unloading him without getting useful salary in return, but I really thought we’d get something for him in a week or so when teams that missed out on the top UFA’s are looking for a D.

I’d like to add that its kind of embarassing listening to Oiler fans speak so poorly of Souray now. For a few years fans loved him in Edmonton but after his public comments I guess there is no forgiveness. Even if you don’t forgive the guy, I can’t understand how he’s suddenly a terrible hockey player too. Nobody sees him as a useful player anymore. If not for the salary constrictions he’d be sought after.

Mr.Majestyk: Right here is just fine.I’m really shocked that they were forced to go the waiver route.I mean, I realize that it could come to that, if there was no way of unloading him without getting useful salary in return, but I really thought we’d get something for him in a week or so when teams that missed out on the top UFA’s are looking for a D.I’d like to add that its kind of embarassing listening to Oiler fans speak so poorly of Souray now.For a few years fans loved him in Edmonton but after his public comments I guess there is no forgiveness.Even if you don’t forgive the guy, I can’t understand how he’s suddenly a terrible hockey player too.Nobody sees him as a useful player anymore.If not for the salary constrictions he’d be sought after.

Thanks for that, Mr. M… I was starting to think I was the guy’s only supporter. I have no beef with him at all. I hope he gets claimed up.

Btw, I’ll probably start up a post on this. If I do, I’ll move the posts about it over there. Stay tuned.. :P

11. Mr.Majestyk says:

We don’t really need the full cap space this season I don’t think. We’ve got a small window to absorb some contracts and let them expire so that in a couple years we’ve hopefully positioned ourselves to become a perennial contender and at that point, we’ll have to be frugal.

12. victoriaoilerfan says:

Racki: Well, teams will do that to test the waters if a player can’t be traded. If he’s claimed, great…After that, it leaves two choices… make him report to OKC. If he refuses, I believe the team can suspend him and that waives the cap hit for however long he is suspended. I think there are scenarios in which a player can file a greivance too… but I don’t know much on that. But I think in some fashion he can become a UFA from all that. But don’t quote me on that.The other option is to recall him back up, sending him through waivers again. But as I’m sure you know, any team claiming him gets him at half price, and we pay the other half which sticks on the cap.In a way, I hate it.. but in a way I like it because that frees up tremendous amounts of cap space.. but would we use it?

Or scenerio 3:
    We put him back on the roster. Big risk or course he will cause crap in the dressing room. But we can continue trying to move him thru out the year. A team that runs into injuries may need him.
    What a mess. I am sick of these contracts the Oilers hand out that get us into these jams. Horc/Khabby as well.

13. Haboiler says:

I like this move too… I would rather put Souray on Waivers than bring a big contract back for another discontented player. Sometimes nothing is better than something. Bad part is we can’t bury him in the minors and have him poison young kids down there…

TEXT CAP HIT BREAKDOWN (for copying and pasting)

SHELDON SOURAY BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
    2010-2011: $2,400,000
    2011-2012: $2,400,000
    2012-2013: $1,500,000
    2013-2014: $1,500,000

I would rather send him down to minors and recall him immediately and see if someone wants him at half price. I would rather pay half than have a cap hit over 4 yrs… Especially when we only save 300K for the next 2 yrs on a cap hit and then get hit with another 1.5M cap hit over the 2 following years.

victoriaoilerfan:
    Or scenerio 3:

Actually, I’m going to edit the above post.. I forgot, putting him on waivers doesn’t mean they’re sending him to OKC. They only have to pass him through recall waivers if they’ve assigned him to OKC, which they haven’t done yet. So ignore the recall stuff.

God I hope the Isles claim him. Bet Roli hopes that too.

LateNightOilFan: I am surprised but I think this means Tambi was only getting shit contract offers in return.God I hope the Isles claim him.Bet Roli hopes that too.

Can you imagine if Toronto claims him?

18. Mr.Majestyk says:

They pay the full amount and we are rid of his cap hit.

zackman35: I’m really confused now, so if we place him on waivers and another team claims him within 24hrs do they have to pay his entire cap hit or would we split it 50/50 with the other team?

If a team claims him within 24 hours, they pay his entire cap hit.

21. victoriaoilerfan says:

I may be the only guy alive that wishes he would be on the roster next year ready to play. We could’ve used him IMO.

Holy shit…I knew there wouldn’t be a huge market for the guy, but the guy is only one season removed from a 23 goal 53 point season, has a bomb of a shot and is tough as nails, Tambi couldn’t find one GM willing to take a chance on that for even a AHL lifer plug or 10th round draft pick?

I’m honestly stunned…anyways, I still like him as a player, and really…I could even have forgiven his idiocy recently, it’s hard for a prideful person to watch his last place team and have to sit on the sidelines. Especially if management has communication issues. I’m not saying I excuse his issues, but wow.

That being said, I’d just be happy to have the cap space if someone does take a chance on him.

Offer sheet Bobby Ryan and then trade Hemmer and Cogs for Carter. lol.

victoriaoilerfan: Souray shooting off his mouth to the media really hurt both the Oilers and Shelley. When will guys learn the media is not your friend? That interview painted him as a crap disturber with G.M.’s. If he would have shut up you never know they may have been able to mend some fences. But to late now.

If he’s healthy I would actually like to have him on our roster too but his media incident has really tarnished his public relations. It would be too akward now placing him in the line-up, especially being placed on waivers. If Tambo would have kept quiet or went around the situation a little more differently (in regards to Sourays comments) I still think he could have accomplished everything he has to this day and possibly have kept Sourays value ‘tradeable’.

Yah I don’t know. I have no ill feelings towards Souray at all. He should have gone about things differently, for sure. But I’m glad we had him here while we did. He had a great season the year before, and that was awesome to see. But really, it’s best for both sides anyways for him to move on elsewhere.

I really hope he gets claimed on waivers, as that’s a lot of money to pay a guy to not be on your roster (whether we’re paying the 5.4M for him to sit out or the 2.7M if we end up trying recall waivers). Plus, he’s a good defenseman. Overrated by some, but underrated by most. He’ll be a good pick up for whatever team gets him. $5.4M is a big cap hit for a player though, so I understand why teams havent been lining up.

Racki: Why do you say that? Do they have some sort of friendship or something? (Serious question) Or is that sarcasm of some sort…

Just thinking back to 08/09 when it seemed like Souray and Roli were the only ones who gave a shit about winning game in and game out. Plus I would think Roli would prefer to not face Souray’s shot if another eastern team were to claim him. The other thing is, have you noticed the Isles haven’t landed anyone yet and desperately need to upgrade their D. A contract like Sourays with a cap hit higher than the salary would get them to the floor and still only be a stopgap until their D prospects are NHL ready. For a rebuilding team they could upgrade without giving up any prospects/picks.

I’m just glad Calgary can’t afford Souray. :P

LateNightOilFan:
    Just thinking back to 08/09 when it seemed like Souray and Roli were the only ones who gave a shit about winning game in and game out.Plus I would think Roli would prefer to not face Souray’s shot if another eastern team were to claim him.

Ahh that makes sense. And yes, I remember what you are talking about now. Too bad other fans don’t. He has a great compete level, and fans shit on him now that he went public about management. It’s funny how we do that here. It was the same with a lot of other players, like Jarret Stoll. One moment, people want to bronze a statue of him out front and name him captain. Next moment, they’re calling for him to be traded.. next moment, they want him back. Fickle ;)

I’m in no rush to see Souray gone, but it will be best now. But if somehow the fence was mended, I’d be pretty happy.

gr8one: I guess Lowes’ “If I had to do Chris Pronger all over again” comment really was a foreshadow…I can’t help but think this is partly a “Fuck You Souray” from management saying he ain’t worth a pile of shit.

I half expected it, half didn’t. Interesting. If they do end up sitting him out.. I’m not sure how I’ll feel on that. Mixed emotions, just because I think Souray is a quality guy. But I like that they won’t allow players to hold a gun to their head.

But hey, Lowe did do this once before… Mike Comrie. He handled that pretty oddball though. But I think the criticism he took over that influenced how he handled Pronger.

Racki:
    If a team claims him within 24 hours, they pay his entire cap hit.I believe that if no team claims him, the Oilers have a choice. They can assign him to OKC at this point, or they can leave him on the Oilers. If they were to assign him to OKC, I would presume they would then recall him and send him through recall waivers. If a team claims him within 24 hours of THAT, THEN each team would split the cost/cap hit 50/50.

Now that I think about it, I bet this is the plan…someone will DEFINITELY claim him at half the salary, and the Oilers prefer the idea of taking half the cap hit for just the 2 years as opposed to having it spread out over four years in the event of a buyout.

If Souray is claimed, Tambellini is going to look like a hero in most Oilers fans’ eyes, if he’s unclaimed… well I’m not too sure.

On a more important note where does everyone pick this information up? How does Kypro’s sp* or someone like Bob Mckenzie get all their information from? It can’t be directly from the GM’s can it but then where do their sources come from? I wonder if there is a website or something that NHL GM’s/Brass can access where they get all this information?

33. Mr.Majestyk says:

Racki: I’m just glad Calgary can’t afford Souray.

Calgary is going to buyout Tanguay and Jokinen and claim Souray.

34. Mr.Majestyk says:

gr8one: If it weren’t for my concern of Souray ending up being a poor influence in the room, I’d welcome him back with open arms, but that is just way too high of a risk right now IMHO, we just have far too much riding on our youth.

What is the poor influence he’s going to bring to the team?

Mr.Majestyk:
    Calgary is going to buyout Tanguay and Jokinen and claim Souray.

hahaha I wouldn’t be surprised

I think from all I’ve heard he’s a good locker room guy. Just him and management didn’t see eye to eye. And quite frankly, his comments seemed a bit random. Kinda like he was having a bad day and just decided to vent his frustrations. :P

But really, who knows what caused him to snap on managment. I think he’d still be fine here, but I think it is much better for both sides if we part ways.

It sucks we have to resort to waiving him, but oh well.

lol @ the Calgary joke.

gr8one: lol @ the Calgary joke.while we’re kidding, he would really go a long way in improving the OKC team this season!!

I lawl’d.

Can you imagine how the AHL goalies would feel facing his shot? :razz:

Damn, that would be pretty funny to see him as a Baron. Yikes!

39. Mr.Majestyk says:

Do you guys have a link to the original Souray blast of shit? I’m interested in reading it again because I can’t remember exactly what all the grievances were. I know part of it was lack of communication and whatnot and something about him playing injured…I’d like a refresher since people have made him out to be the worst guy ever…

Racki: Damn, that would be pretty funny to see him as a Baron. Yikes!

Well what do yeah think?

Mr.Majestyk: Do you guys have a link to the original Souray blast of shit?I’m interested in reading it again because I can’t remember exactly what all the grievances were.I know part of it was lack of communication and whatnot and something about him playing injured…I’d like a refresher since people have made him out to be the worst guy ever…

lol, and good work Zack.

42. victoriaoilerfan says:

O/T:
    One of our tough guy candidates has just been picked up by the Hawks
    John Scott..no details yet.

Also Nystrom to Minnie 3 years x1.4 per

All via MeKenzie

Vic: Scott was signed yesterday. 1year at $1m.

Quite frankly, I’m happy that possibility is off.

44. Mr.Majestyk says:

Okay, so I read through the article and I don’t see it as being so horrible. If anything, he made some valid points(that some people have mentioned in other areas)like Tambi’s lack of communication skillz.

Scott Reynolds over at the Copper and Blue summed up my feelings about the Strudwick signing perfectly in the first two paragraphs here—> http://www.coppernblue.com/2010/7/2/1549417/oilers-sign-strudwick-petiot#storyjump

Mr M: yah I agree. He just called a spade a spade. He didn’t throw fans or players under the bus. I think people question why he did it in public though. I don’t mind that, but it would have been best to request a trade quietly though.

But I still think he’s a stand-up guy, and would be good for any team.

47. victoriaoilerfan says:

Racki: Vic: Scott was signed yesterday. 1year at $1m.Quite frankly, I’m happy that possibility is off.

Sorry I just saw it at the top of McKenzies twitter.
    As far as Calgary not being able to afford Souray. If we get stuck with half his salary on re entry. the Flames could make some moves and afford him. He’d be cheap IMO.
    As far as him being a Baron, how about Stockton? He would be close to his family lol.

48. victoriaoilerfan says:

Higgins to Florida 1.6 mill per. Not sure the term yet.

Vic: lol @ souray to stockton.. now THAT would be a sight to behold.

I was kinda thinking Higgins woulda been a good fit here…

If for no other reason we could have had Magnus P.I. and a Higgins on the same roster. That woulda been fucking elite.

Tambi should give Magnus a red Ferrari as a signing bonus.