Souray placed on Waivers / Strudwick re-signs / Oilers sign Richard Petiot

By , July 2, 2010 10:43 am

Souray placed on Waivers

As per Nick Kypreos’ twitter, Sheldon Souray has been placed on Waivers (thanks VictoriaOilFan for the heads up).

So this brings about some complicated scenarios if Souray clears.

Firstly, will they assign him to OKC? I doubt it, but let’s say they do. He won’t report to Oklahoma City. That’s a given. If he doesn’t report, I believe the Oilers can suspend him, and I believe a suspension to a player will waive cap hit. Now I’m not to sure what would happen from there, but I would be willing to bet it could be complex, and might even get ugly. But this definitely brings up an interesting situation. If they do assign him to OKC, they also could recall him and try and get a team to pick him up on recall waivers. This would mean that the claiming team and the Oilers each pay half of his salary and account for half of his salary cap hit.

On the flip-side, if Souray is claimed on regular waivers, we’ll be free of his $5.4M cap hit for the next 2 years. Will a team take a risk on him though, given his injury history? Also, what are the Oilers going to do with that cap hit? I can’t see them needing that kind of cash in the next two years, but it still would be nice to be able to use that money on either another (or you could say our only) solid goaltender and/or possibly a shutdown d-man.

UPDATE: 10 AM EST, Souray has cleared waivers. I think this should be a sign to him that he’ll be a very tough sell if teams won’t take him for free.

Strudwick re-signs

The Oil have re-signed defenseman Jason Strudwick. The deal is 1 year at 725k (perfect). He’s a slug out there, but at least he’s willing to stick up for teammates, and he’s a great presence in the locker room, apparently.

Oilers sign Defenseman Richard Petiot

I think this is a depth signing for the Oklahoma City Barons. Or at least, I hope it is. Because he’s not likely someone who will help the NHL club any. But Richard Petiot should be good for the Barons, however.

Oilers land their enforcer…

Steve MacIntyre has returned to the Oilers. The deal is a 1-year deal worth $500k.

Per Oilers official e-mail:

General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with forward Steve MacIntyre on a one-year contract.

MacIntyre, 29, re-joins the organization after being picked up on waivers by the Florida Panthers at the beginning of last season.

98 Responses to “Souray placed on Waivers / Strudwick re-signs / Oilers sign Richard Petiot”

1. victoriaoilerfan says:

gr8one: I was kinda thinking Higgins woulda been a good fit here…If for no other reason we could have had Magnus P.I. and a Higgins on the same roster. That woulda been fucking elite. Tambi should give Magnus a red Ferrari as a signing bonus.

Nay just give him Khabbys, he won’t be driving it in jail.lol

FFS, now Konopka has signed w/ the Islanders.

3. Haboiler says:

THere goes Konopka to the Islanders… I really wanted to see him here…

4. victoriaoilerfan says:

Well the tough guys are all taken

I don’t think its that big of a deal (i.e. no fuck you message from management)…he tried to shop Souray and there was 0 interest (not surprising as I feel he has negative value now). Next step is to put him on waivers and hope someone picks him up.

For all his pluses, he’s played 1 of the last 3 seasons, publicly bitched out his GM, demanded a trade and has a cap hit of 5.5 mil.

I’m not CRAZY about Struds, but I do like him and think he is a good 6th or 7th defender. No big deal, kinda glad we re-signed him though. As for Souray if he is claimed, great, if not send him to the KHL or something lol. And nice depth signing for OKC I guess. Never heard of this guy though lol

7. Haboiler says:

SMAC has signed with the Oil…

Smackintyre is back!

lol…well, I guess if we’re gonna have a goon, he’s as good as any.

Interesting, Big Mac back? Well, I really like the guy. He skates alright for a big man and isn’t really a liability. So I’m OK with that, just based on the fact that he was awesome in the community. I still say we don’t need a full time enforcer, but that’s alright. Glad to see the big guy back!

gr8one: Smackintyre is back!lol…well, I guess if we’re gonna have a goon, he’s as good as any.

Ya really, I hated to see him go, because he was a quality guy.

Interesting how Vandermeer and MacI are reunited (and it feeeelll’s so good!). haha

Well, at least when they’re not getting scored against. lol

gr8one: Heh, yeah…we can throw out a line now of MacIntyre, Jacques and Stortini with Vandermeer and Peckham on the back end and watch them destroy people.
    Well, at least when they’re not getting scored against. lol

haha yah, that is a dangerous line! (at both ends of the ice, and for everyone out there.. :P)

1 year @ 500k

14. Haboiler says:

Racki: 1 year @ 500k

Perfect price… a one way deal tho…

Wow what does our depth chart look like now? Anyone want to make up some lines?

Penner – Gags – Hemsky
    Hall – Brule –
    ??? – Horc ???
    JFJ – Fraser – Storts

Whitney – Gilbert
    Smid – Foster
    Struds – Vandermeer

16. dawgtoy says:

I love the SMacIntyre signing. Just listening to his interview on 1260, and he’s so happy to be here that he actually yelled. Love the fact he’s so ecstatic to be here. He as big as they come, as tough as they come and CHEAP.

17. John says:

Right on, Big Mac is back!!! I was sad to see him leave but at the time it was hard to justify having him appearantly. At $500 large it should work all right. Interested in the first BOA already since Calgayry signed some brute enforcer too ;)

18. dawgtoy says:

Smack Fraser Storts … Might add a dimension of fear to the opposition maybe?

19. Haboiler says:

Here is what I see today (of course things will change if we make and addition via a Souray Trade):

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Hall-Gagner-Eberle
    MPS-Brule-Cogliano
    Jones-Fraser-Stortini
    SMAC/JFJ

Whitney-Gilbert
    Smid-Foster
    Vandermeer-Strudwick
    Pechkam

Khabi
    DD

I’d be more comfortable with a bigger 3rd line but thats how I see it so far…

zackman35: Wow what does our depth chart look like now? Anyone want to make up some lines?Penner – Gags – Hemsky
    Hall – Brule –
    ??? – Horc ???
    JFJ – Fraser – StortsWhitney – Gilbert
    Smid – Foster
    Struds – VandermeerTake a go at lines please? Lets see what it’d look like if Hall is the only prospect to draw into the line-up.

Well, as it stands right now, I’d Have to say something like…

Penner – Gags – Hemsky
    Hall – Horcoff – Brule
    MPS – Cogliano – Eberle
    JFJ – Fraser – Storts

and the D you listed…depending on how things go though I could see Horcoff playing anywhere from 1c to 3c, and Brule and Ebs could easily flip too…

although, in some ways I can see MPS/Ebs and Hall all making the club, but in other ways I can’t see it and think it might be a bad idea.

Maybe have MPS and Ebs start in OKC and give Omark a good look with the big club, and use some of our spare parts to fill in the gaps they leave if sent down. Comrie could be in the picture as well.

I really can’t see Cogs being an Oiler much longer either, not with his name being attributed to yet another public trade that didn’t go down. Plus I think we sign one more depth forward at the very least. so really, who knows!

Oh yeah, I forgot about Jones…I would like to see Stone resigned too, that would give us some really good OKC guys and/or depth guys to fill injury holes or if any of the kids need some seasoning down south.

Haboiler & gr8one both good line predictions but I fear in rushing up MPS/Eberle we may harm their development. I think it’d be nice to resign both Stone and Johnson and sent to OKC for depth. Also it may be nice to get a guy like Greentree down there too. I think we still have some work, signing some experienced wingers were MPS/Ebs may fill in and maybe a center too because Cogs is probably on his way out.

22. victoriaoilerfan says:

Haboiler: Perfect price… a one way deal tho…But the Big Man is on Team 1260 now…. he is over the moon… This proves to me the kids are all on track to be in the lineup….

The one thing I like about this the best is we are dealing with a known commodity. We know him and he knows us. No unexpected bullshit.

23. victoriaoilerfan says:

victoriaoilerfan:

yeah but, we coulda probably had Boogaard for 2m per!!!!!

/sarcasm. ;)

25. victoriaoilerfan says:

gr8one: yeah but, we coulda probably had Boogaard for 2m per!!!!!/sarcasm.

LOL and thank god we don’t. What a joke of a contract that is. But thank god we don’t have to face that goon very often. I have to work on my new avatar that shwos Sather & Sutter standing together talking..well..hmm what ever to goofs talk about? lol

victoriaoilerfan: Question? Are any of you going to the development camp? It’s the first time to get a chance to see all these new guys on thie ice.

I hadn’t even thought about it.. but that would be a good idea. Too bad I work though when this is going on.

Strudwick – 725K… sounds about right.

Ryan Rishaug’s Twitter:
    Oil are focusing a lot on farm team, signed another guy today, probably a few more tomorrow, waiting on souray waiver news as well

Some of you may want to follow us on Twitter if you haven’t already: potfblog is our user there. Every time there is a new post here, it auto-tweets. Also, we’ll occasionally re-tweet some good hockey-related news or post what we hear there.

Also check out our hockey-related news list on Twitter.

@Racki I saw Rishaug’s tweet. I really hope we see one more gritty winger signed, then we deal off Souray and Cogliano. We also have to get some AHL players. We aren’t done yet boys, not a chance.

30. Mr.Majestyk says:

OMG, I can’t handle the Oilers message board, but I keep going back for more. Just go to the Souray placed on waivers thread a read some of the bile in there. I’m completely embarrassed.

Souray has cleared waivers.

32. Mr.Majestyk says:

that sucks.

Yah that’s too bad. I am guessing he’ll be with the team until at least the trade deadline. Even then would a team pick him up? Hard to say, unless he has a crazy good year again. Which could realistically happen if he doesn’t get injured. Although I don’t know if the Oilers would keep him in their lineup.

Whatever, it could be worse, although I still think something will happen, there are still some teams out there with some pretty big holes on D.

gr8one: Well, whatever…I still love love Shelly as a player and if he has a sit down with management and can smooth things over I’m all for him returning.Man, Team him up with Foster on the PP and we’ll have a LHD and a RHD with absolute bombs from the point…that could end up being pretty awesome.

Yah, I was never in a hurry to see him go anywhere, so I’d definitely be fine with the scenario you paint. Wow, talk about a top 4 set of D-men. Great offensively, anyways.

I don’t see him being an Oilers this season. He pubicly requested trade out. Then bashed management a little bit too. Look I like Souray the player, and really won’t complain if hes in the lineup, but honestly after what has happened can he really go back into that locker room? I think he still gets traded, but its not going to be quick. Remember what Lowe said in Oil Change about Pronger. They will make the right call on this.

Well there’s a big difference between Souray and Pronger. Pronger demanded his way out. He wouldn’t have played here. Souray would. He also didn’t throw the coaches or teammates under the bus (not that Pronger did, but that isn’t the point I’m making) nor the fans. He’d be able to come back. Like gr8one said, he’d have to have a sit down with management to smooth things over.. something he should have done in the beginning. I think he just hit a low point for some reason and blew up. Happens to the best of us… is it irreparable? I don’t think so.

I would like to see him moved too, yes, but it’s not the end of the world if he stays. In fact, if he has a healthy year, I expect another big year from him as he tries to re-prove himself.

Souray’s last 2 healthy years he has scored 23 and 26 goals. If he’s healthy I have no doubt he will have a big year, and if he’s healthy and has already potted 15+ goals by the trade deadline we could end up getting a really good return for him.

I’m not saying I think he will be back with the Oilers, but I am saying if he is, I don’t see it as a bad thing.

Like I said before, What I suspect to happen is the Oilers to put him on on re-entry waivers and some team to take a chance on him at 1/2 the salary.

I think the Oilers looked at his buyout and don’t want to have it as a cap albatross for 4 years, in 2-4 years if the kids develop fast we might be a cap team again, but probably see eating half his salary for only 2 years is somewhat palatable since we won’t be a cap team this year or next.

39. Mr.Majestyk says:

40. neufab says:

Didn’t BigMac break Vandermeer’s ribs?

I like knowing we’ve got some muscle. I think they should start the opening shift of the season with a brawl.

They still need a 3rd line right winger assuming Eberle and Hall make the team.

Penner-Brule-Hemsky
    Hall-Gagner-Eberle
    Cogliano-Horcoff-???
    JFJ-Fraser-Stortini/MacIntyre

Whitney-Gilbert
    Smid-Foster
    Johnson-Vandermeer
    Strudwick

Khabibulin
    Dubnyk

neufab: Didn’t BigMac break Vandermeer’s ribs?I like knowing we’ve got some muscle.I think they should start the opening shift of the season with a brawl.They still need a 3rd line right winger assuming Eberle and Hall make the team.Penner-Brule-Hemsky
    Hall-Gagner-Eberle
    Cogliano-Horcoff-???
    JFJ-Fraser-Stortini/MacIntyreWhitney-Gilbert
    Smid-Foster
    Johnson-Vandermeer
    StrudwickKhabibulin
    Dubnyk

You’re thinking Brandon Prust. Bic Mac beat his face in pretty good though. But no, Big Mac drove Boyd pretty hard into the boards on a race for a puck on a dump in. Lots of credit to Prust for standing up and defending his teammate, but he took some SOLID body shots. I’m not sure if he actually broke some of his ribs, or if that was just one of those “legends”. :P

42. victoriaoilerfan says:

Mr.Majestyk: I with you guys in saying that there should be a way to smooth things over between Souray and management. At this point I honestly believe that Souray is willing to do that(especially since he sees nobody is interested)but I get a sense that his words cut Tambi pretty deep. Is Tambi a spiteful guy that something like this is guaranteed to be the end of the line for Souray in Edmonton? Who knows. Really though, from my perspective this thing got blown way out of proportion and the end result is Tambi has to do what is best for the Oilers. If that means bringing Souray back next season, I think he has to put his ego aside and do that. For Souray, he’s got to suck it up and play until Tambi is able to find him a new team. End of story.

Get past all the B.S. Tambi and Shelley and do whats best for the team. If Souray could accept that he would also find it is what is the best thing to do for his career.

43. victoriaoilerfan says:

victoriaoilerfan: Great post, my thoughts exactly. He could really be a force on this new blueline backing up our young fowards.Get past all the B.S. Tambi and Shelley and do whats best for the team. If Souray could accept that simple fact, he would also find it is what is the best thing to do for his career.Hmmm.. I am dreaming a little here.. two cannons from the point one left and one right.

44. victoriaoilerfan says:

P.S. Where is this Shoanne Morisson all you guys like around here?? Or are you the only ones that seem to have hot pants for him?

lol, he’s still out there, so apparently we’re the only ones.

46. victoriaoilerfan says:

Sorry for the double up there guys. I still find this site a little hard to navigate around. *sigh

I really hope we start hearing that our RFA’s start signing contracts soon.

I also really hope that they get Gagner to sign a 3-4 year deal, I have a feeling if they only give him a one year he’ll be getting a fat raise next year.

48. neufab says:

Racki:

Ah yes, I recall Prust did not return to the game, and thereafter I think he missed some time due to a rib injury.

this was a good one