Ralph Krueger named new Oilers associate coach..

By , July 30, 2010 10:12 am

Per Oilers e-mail:

General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have appointed Ralph Krueger Associate Coach with the hockey club.

Krueger, 50, brings with him a wealth of experience as a coach in Germany and Switzerland and will complement Head Coach Tom Renney and assistants Kelly Buchberger and Steve Smith.

Uhm, who? Well, let’s hope he’s the German/Swiss Toe Blake.

17 Responses to “Ralph Krueger named new Oilers associate coach..”

1. mrgod2u says:

According to Wikipedia

“Ralph Krueger (born August 31, 1959 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) is a German-Canadian ice hockey coach from Steinbach, Manitoba. He was the coach of the Swiss men’s national ice hockey team from the 1997/1998 season until the end of the XXI Olympic Winter Games in 2010″

Krueger began his coaching career as an assistant with EV Duisburg of the German second league. Between 1994 and 1998 he led VEU Feldkirch to five straight Austrian championships, culminating in Feldkirch becoming champions in 1998 of the European Ice Hockey League, made up of the champions of various European leagues. This experience later encouraged him to author a motivational book.[2] After the successes with the Austrian team, he took over as full-time head coach of the Swiss national ice hockey team, having split his time between Feldkirch and Switzerland in 1998. His tenure with the Swiss national team has also seen some notable successes.

So he is Canadian (good) and is basically responsible for turning the Swiss National team from being a Joke to being, well, less of a joke really. He also has a great grounding on European style but still has Canadian roots, this could really help our European players down the stretch with adapting their game.

2. victoriaoilerfan says:

How many assistant coaches do we need? Smith/Buchberger/Krueger
    Always thought threes a crowd.

Vic, which guy would you pick of Renney / Smith / Buchberger to run the PP…

I hope Krueger knows about that side of things…

4. Mr.Majestyk says:

Maybe Buchberger just works upstairs doing the video stuff during games.

5. Paarjarvi says:

Interesting … an ‘Associate’ not an ‘Assistant’? What’s the difference?

Are there any notable Swiss players he worked with? Neidereitter?

6. Adam Dyck says:

Associate Coach was Renney’s title last season. It essentially makes him the right-hand-man to the New Silver Fox, and likely sets him up as the future head coach.

8. victoriaoilerfan says:

Racki: I admittedly know nothing about the guy, and I’m pretty sure that the vast majority of those in Oilerland know nothing about him too. But that doesn’t necessarily denote that he’ll be a bad coach. I just still wonder who will be working with the PP this year.

Great question Racki. Smith and Buchy and defensive guys IMO. Renney seems the only guy that should know the PP. And when you think of it why not let him run it?Krueger doesn’t have any NHL/AHL experience, so I can’t see him doing it.

WTF?

Well that’s underwhelming. I wonder if he has a brother named Freddie? Hmmm….

I’ll reserve judgement until the season is well underway. Seems like an odd signing, but I presume he was chosen by Renney for a reason. You never know, right?

Well this might be interesting. I’ve seen him during the World’s and that’s really all I know about him. I’ll do some digging though – there are a lot of Swiss posters on the Islander board and I’m a member there so I’ll ask for their opinions.

gr8one: I like it. Outside the box hire that was instrumental in making the Swiss program respectable, no small feat there. The guys also a motivational speaker and is apparently a whiz with team building concepts. All good things. I also like that he is Canadian but also brings all of that European experience, which hopefully translates into some fresh ideas and new perspectives.

Those are some good thins to hear. I guess I like it. I wasn’t sure what to think when I first saw this move, but these are good things to hear.

****** Begin Quote******
    ***** End quote ******

16. victoriaoilerfan says:

LateNightOilFan: This is the scouting report on Krueger according to one of my Swiss poster friends:****** Begin Quote******He did a great work with our national team, developing it to be a stable top 8 nation in the world.But at the end critics were held against him because we almost never past the quarter finals in a world tounament and because of playing a very defensive system.Anyway before his era we were not a legitimate top team which changed under his command. After 10 years it was time to change and now Simpson (who won the victoria cup and the european champions league with the Zürich Lions) have a good base to work with and can develop the offensive side of our team since the defense is in place.Finally ,and even if I repeat it, under his coaching the swiss gain respect from other nation and now nobody underestimate the Swiss when playing them.I think he will do a great job with the Oilers and he really deserve a chance to prove what he is capable of in the NHL.***** End quote ******

Sounds like a good D type of guy. But with Smith/Buchy do we need that? Renney is also a conservative kind of a coach. As Racki rightly asked the other day, who is coaching our PP?

Yah, I find that interesting that they’ve put all defensive minded coaches together. A tight defense can turn even the worst of teams into a playoff team, however it’s boring as hell to watch.