Oilers sign Alexandre Giroux to 1-way contract

By , July 3, 2010 1:35 am
Alexandre Giroux (right) signs with Oilers

Alexandre Giroux (right) signs with Oilers

The Oilers signed 29-year old center Alexandre Giroux to a one-way contract. No term/salary details are available at this point. However, the belief in the hockey world is that Giroux is a career AHLer.

Giroux was a big part of a winning culture in Hershey. He led the AHL in goals 2 years in a row (60 in 2008/09 and 50 in 2009/10). He also led the AHL in points in 2008/09 and was second in points in 2009/10 (behind teammate Keith Aucoin). All this with only 69 games played in each of the seasons. He was also a playoff performer, leading the league in goals and points in both years, and helping take Hershey to two consecutive Calder Cup wins.

Unfortunately, this success has not translated to the NHL level. He has played a mere 31 NHL games and only managed 4 goals and 5 assists – one of those games even came under now-Oilers head coach Tom Renney (while both were with the Rangers at the time).

Why would Tambellini sign him to a one-way contract then, you ask, if he is not a good NHLer? Well, it is my belief that the Oilers are going to send him down to Oklahoma City anyways (note: one-way contracts have nothing to do with waiver eligibility… I believe he will not need to clear waivers to be sent down) and will happily pay him NHL salary to play there. He turned down a $1.3M offer from a KHL team. Having one of the best (if not the current best) AHLers on our farm would go a long way, and the Oilers have said they will be committed to making our farm team competitive.

Giroux is of the belief though, it would seem, that he play in the NHL though, however.. so this remains to be seen. This could be another reclamation project a la Ryan Stone or Ryan Potulny. So, it will remain to be seen as to where he plays this year. But for sure he will have to earn his place on the NHL roster. I’d love to see that happen though!

Best case scenario: Giroux surprises at camp and manages to fit in with the Oilers and starts his career as an NHLer.

Worst case scenario: Giroux continues to struggle at the NHL level, and is sent down to Oklahoma City, where he will likely pick up where he left off and continue his success at the AHL level. It’s a win-win for the Oilers, and a win-win for Giroux (since he’ll still earn NHL salary).

23 Responses to “Oilers sign Alexandre Giroux to 1-way contract”

New blog up on the Oil moves:

Again guys, feel free to drop by and comment :)

In other news the Oilers have signed forward Alex Giroux to play in the AHL. He has han an AHL impact for the past few season in Washington’s system. Good signing.

Cool. Great AHL signing. He led the AHL in goals last year by a mile (50, next best was 37), and he only played 69 games. Great at the AHL level… too bad it doesn’t translate to the NHL

Bad news on that signing…Looks like Tambi gave him a 1 way contract…that can’t be right. giroux is a great ahl guy, not nhl.

Huh.. innteresting. He has barely played at the NHL level. One way doesn’t mean he can’t play in the AHL though.. but I’m not sure why they’d pay him NHL money to play in OKC unless they really have a raging one for him. Well, he did help lead the Bears to back-to-back Calder Cup wins. So who knows.. maybe they still plan on keeping him in Hershey, but because he’s one of the best (if not the best) AHLers out there, they decided to make him one rich SOB (as far as AHLers are concerned).

6. Mr.Majestyk says:

I would have preferred Claude Giroux

Bostonoiler: I’m not sure why its a 1-way deal? Doesn’t this mean he has to go through waivers now? He could make the team, but I don’t see it happening. He has torn it up the past two seasons, but hasn’t palyed in the NHL those seasons, he couldn;t crack the Caps lineup. Maybe in these past two seasons (hes got 110 goals in 2 seasons, thats pretty facking good). Maybe he makes the team. I figured this would be an AHL signing to help OKC out a little bit. Guess I was wrong.

As mentioned above, one way or two way status has nothing to do with waiver eligibility. Nothing. He’s only played 31 NHL games, and I believe that makes him OK to be sent down without waivers. Although he may stay up here.

8. Haboiler says:

I don’t mind the one-way really. It probably was a deal breaker for him, its a one year deal and its really important to have a good showing in OKC this year. And if any of the kids end up down there, at least they will have someone with some skill to play with.

Yeah, If DK doesn’t care about paying him NHL money in OKC why the hell would I care??

And, who knows…if the guy can score 60 goals in the AHL, what couldn’t he be at least as 1/3 as good as that in the NHL and pot 20??? Either way it’s money well spent, he will help make things uncomfortable enough for the kids to be looking over their shoulders at him and if he wows the coach’s and cracks the NHL, great, if not, we have an AHL stud to help OKC. It’s win/win as far as I’m concerned.

10. Bearsfan says:

Breaking into the Caps’ lineup and the Oilers’ are two different animals.

However, he needs someone to feed him. And he’s not very good defensively. He had linemates that could be relied on to get back. Also not very physical, though he’s a big enough guy. Maybe getting a legitimate shot at an NHL spot will have positive effect on him.

Bearsfan: Breaking into the Caps’ lineup and the Oilers’ are two different animals.
    However, he needs someone to feed him. And he’s not very good defensively. He had linemates that could be relied on to get back.Also not very physical, though he’s a big enough guy.Maybe getting a legitimate shot at an NHL spot will have positive effect on him.

Hey Bearsfan… always appreciate when fans of other leagues come and chime in, so thanks a lot. Good to get an analysis on him. I don`t think many are expecting him to play in the NHL here (unfortunately some people have very high expectations), but if he does, I would think the Oilers would give him a top six spot for a short stint to see how he fares. We do have a couple of guys in Gagner and Hemsky though who are superb at getting players pucks, so it would be interesting to see if he could keep up with them (especially Hemsky).

Yeah, he is listed as a RW in some places, I was thinking he a third line of something like MPS/Brule/Giroux…at the cery least it could be a good energy line, but with the skill Brule and MPS bring it could be a decent scoring line, and with skill guys like that, Giroux might even be able to keep some of his AHL scoring touch.

I really don’t expect to see him much in the NHL(barring injuries) but if he has a great camp, I think I’d definitely try something like that out.

13. victoriaoilerfan says:

I *think he is a left winger? But read this Link:
    He is a quality guy!!

My biggest worry with Giroux is he signed with us because he wants to play in the NHL.. he wants a good shot at least… so what happens if he is still an NHL dud? I hope he’ll have no problems playing in OKC. I hope he’s able to fit somewhere up here though. Funny how a guy can completely rule the AHL and just not be able to do anything in the NHL. Although 31 games or whatever isn’t all that big of an opportunity.

Btw, my concern isn’t so much with him, but that Renney or Tambellini won’t give him enough of a shot. Hopefully they do.

15. victoriaoilerfan says:

Not only will they not give him a shot, but even if they want to, where do they put him? Giroux is here because he feels the Oilers are his best chance to make the to the bigs. I wonder if he or his agent (if he has one) has looked at the Oilers depth at left wing?
    Be interesting as to what mgmnt. would do if he comes to camp and sets the place on fire lol.
    P.S. I guess we should hope for such a problem.

Well, like I said before, I’ve seen him listed as both a RW and A C…the guy is 29 years old and has played in the minors for like a bazillion years, I’m sure he’s played every role/position imaginable. And I’m sure he would work his ass off where ever the Oilers try him out.

Anyways, this website has him listed as both a LW/RW.

and this one has him listed as a C.

My first thought was that this has something to do with Souray. We sign their best offensive prospect and they pick up Souray for half price when we recall him later on. Just a hunch, and I’m not sure about the rest of you, but I saw this as a signing of a player to the big team, hence the one way deal. I could be wrong, but with Pouliot and Pots gone, it may make more sense if you look at it as replacing those two.

18. victoriaoilerfan says:

To bad..the idea is good.

victoriaoilerfan: Chucker I posted an answer to this topic of letting the Caps. get Souray off re entry waivers for 1/2 price. It won’t work but rather than go thru it again you might want to skip over and read it on the Oilers forum. I posted to Racki questions about doing the same thing with LA who I think would be a great fit for Shelley and L.A.right now. But it is impossible to arrrange thru re entry according to Mr. Racki.To bad..the idea is good.

Just saw that. Maybe at this point they just don’t care, just as long as he’s gone. A trade would be ideal though.

To bad..the idea is good.

Racki: I don’t know if it’s impossible, I just mentioned that the waiver order goes in order of reverse standings.. so I guess that makes it a bit difficult for the Kings to pick him since they finished 9th last year. And while 29 teams had no problems letting Souray slip by through regular waivers, you’d have to figure that several of the 20 teams below the Kings would love to have Souray at half price. But other than that, I don’t see why the Kings and Oilers couldn’t work out a deal for the Kings to give us something if they do manage to be the team to make the waiver claim.

That order of waiver rights for teams stays in place for the season too doesn’t it? i.e. Whatever rank you were last year is where you pick or does it change to current rank in the standings once the year starts? I know it resets at a certain date, but not sure when.

@Vic and Racki; It does seem very unlikely that the Kings and 28 other teams would pass on a guy like Souray for a cap hit of 2.6 or whatever it would be. Heck, the Caps paid Joe Corvoe that much last year and he’s just a PP guy with nothing else to offer. Souray at least brings some intimidation factor and grit.

As of Nov 1, the standings of the current season determines the waiver order. previous to that, it would be the 09/10 standings that determine order

Thanks!! I new it had to roll over at some point, but I did not know when.