Oilers re-sign Gilbert Brule to a two-year contract

By , July 27, 2010 5:45 pm

The Oilers continue their string of good off-season decisions..

The Oilers continue their string of good off-season decisions..

The Edmonton Oilers avoided an arbitration hearing with Gilbert Brule, as they signed him to a 2-year contract reportedly worth $1.85M per year.

Per Edmonton Oilers official e-mail:

General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have agreed to terms with centre Gilbert Brule on a two-year contract.

Brule, 23, had 37 points (17G, 20A) in 65 games with the Oilers. He finished fourth in team scoring, second in goals and tied for first in game-wining goals with three.

This leaves the Oilers with over $12M of cap space, with 1 guy left to fill out a 23 man roster (thanks to gr8one for the correction noting that I was looking at the wrong year at first!). *thumbs up* Of course they will sign Gagner to a decent contract (my guess is around the $2.5M mark) and they also need a decision on Cogliano. But still, our cap situation is much better than it’s been before. So no more begging for change, Katz.

22 Responses to “Oilers re-sign Gilbert Brule to a two-year contract”

Brule signed for 2 years. 1.85 x 2.

Great signing, now we just gotta get Gagner and crew inked!

2. mrgod2u says:

awesome news and at a great price. I think this will be a good year for him, he made some strides forward in the last season. Should be interesting to see who he’s playing with and what kind of opportunities he gets.

So I return from the beach today (where I met some Flames fan that absolutly chewed me up cause I had my Souray tee on) and found out Brule signed without having to go to arbitration. I was hoping for a multi year deal so 2 years is good and if the rumored 1.85 per is true, then I really like what Tambi did here. Now lets get Gagner signed next!

gr8one: Brule signed for 2 years. 1.85 x 2.I think that is pretty much exactly about what I would have liked to have him sign for. Good value for what he brings, and I think he will exceed that value.Great signing, now we just gotta get Gagner and crew inked!

That’s a good signing for Brule. And pretty sure he’ll still be RFA when it expires, he’ll be under the 27 & 7 criteria still.

You guys are too quick! :P I’ll whip up a post and move conversation over there.

So anyways, this is fantastic news. Next stop, Sam Gagner and the rest. Brule signing for $1.85 should help us a bit with Gags’ negotiations too. I don’t expect them to get him for $1.85M, but they might be able to do $2M-$2.5M as we’d hoped for.

7. Mr.Majestyk says:

Hopefully we’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Brule’s game. I for one wasn’t a huge supporter of his last year in training camp. He’s got a really nice shot, but he doesn’t seem to think the game well enough to make use of his skills. Well, he ended up having a decent season last year and I’m glad I was wrong about him. I’d still like to see the mental aspect of his game turned up a notch.

MrM: Yeah, I think Brule is really going to turn into a very solid NHL’er and hasn’t come near peaking yet.

I see Fleischmann just avoided arbitration too, 2.6m x 1, so I’d guess Gagner should fall nicely somewhere between that and Brule…although, I’d like to see him tied up a little bit longer term.

I think we’ll be lucky to get Gagner for 2 years. If it’s a 3 or 4 or more year deal, then we probably won’t like the salary at this point, but it’ll turn into one of those Hemsky-like value contracts later on.

Racki, our available cap space is actually $12,218,000.

I think you were looking down next years column on cap geek. I did the same thing at first.

lol Woops.. Right you are, but that’s actually even better, as we have 22 guys signed and all that space (plus with intent of moving Souray still, I presume). I’ll correct above. Thanks!

Here are the recent RFA signing benchmarks for Cogs & Gags:

Brule – 2 yrs 1.85m per 17-20-37 will still be RFA when contract is up.

Mason Raymond – 2 yrs $2.55m cap hit/yr 25-28-53 will still be RFA when contract up.

Matt Moulson NYI 1 yr 2.45m 30-18-48 will be UFA when contract up.

Tomas Fleischmann – 1 yr $2.6m 23-28-51 will be UFA when contract up.

I differentiated between the guys who will become UFA’s because it’s likely their agents insisted only on 1 year to use pending free agency leverage next year should they have another strong season. They will hope to not have seasons like Grebs did because that was his strategy and it didn’t exactly pay off for him.

Now Gags and Cogs each have 1 year before they are arbitration eligible. They then have 3 more years after that before they become UFA (even though Gags is 2 years younger they’ll both be at the 7 season requirement). So that brings them both to 2014 before they are UFAs.

Based on the comparisons, I’m thinking Gags will command at least $2.5m on a 1 or 2 year deal. However, just throwing this out for conversation, does anyone think the Oilers will try to ink Gags to a longer contract with something like a $3.5m cap hit to get him through the rest of his RFA years and even past a couple UFA years – kind of like what they did with Gilbert & Hemsky? It may be a higher cap hit than some think fair now, but if he trends upwards like they hope, it would be a pretty good deal a few years from now. Of course, his agent might not go for it…

Cogs on the other hand may only get a 1-2 year deal in the same $ range as Brule – something that makes him attractive on the trade market, especially since he’s been trending downwards.

LNOF: I don’t see it as a bad idea to give Gagner a longer term deal with a higher contract, in the same way we gave Hemsky the deal he got. I see Gagner as a guy who will be here for several years, and I see no reason not to keep him here for a while at a decent rate.

Cogliano.. well, I love him as much as any Oiler fan, but as we all know, it’s just a case of too many similar players with him. So I’ve kind of gone towards packing him in a trade now. I think he’s a solid guy, but Brule is him and then some. I wouldn’t be disappointed in the least if we kept him, but I think a Souray/Cogliano package is our best bet now. Move them for a guy with size, or someone on the blue line (which would likely end up kicking out Vandermeer or Strudwick).

The one thing I like about Cogliano is he’s clutch. He scored some key goals in his seasons here, and he can do it from any line. We’ve trimmed all the fat now though… so it’s not like I can sit here and say: “well, let’s keep Cogliano but get rid of…” because there isn’t anyone I’m really anxious to get rid of anymore (save for our entire goaltending trio – sorry).

Racki: Btw, part of that 12-ish mill will be “eaten up” by bonuses. Now it’s not really eaten up, but we might want to reserve that amount just in case these new kids do well and hit several of their bonuses (to help keep us from losing some potential cap space next year if the bonuses push us over this year). But man, even $8-9M is a pretty comfortable spot for us to be in.

Capgeek usually deducts the bonuses from the available cap space doesn’t it? I’ve been seeing some inconsistencies on that site, I guess due to it being the off-season. It’s a bit misleading the way they have it right now because those players aren’t technically on the NHL roster yet. Once they are on the roster, those bonuses will count towards the cap until the players are no longer eligible for them.

Well no LNOF, not exactly.. at least the way I understand it.

The way I understand it… yes, the bonuses will count towards the cap, but teams are actually allowed to spend over the cap by that bonus amount. Then at the year when bonuses are reached or not reached, next year’s cap calculation will have some space potentially eaten up.

So when they say there is $12M-ish of space (when in fact there is only $9M ish), they mean that the Oilers can spend their $9M remaining cap space and then they can actually overspend this year by whatever bonus money they spent ($3-ish million).

So let’s say we eat up ALL of that cap space, and the $3M (ish)… if no one hits their bonuses, then we don’t have a penalty next year. If all of them hit all of their bonuses, then we have a $3M (ish) penalty on our cap next year. If some of the guys hit some of their bonuses, then we’ll have a partial penalty next year.

So really, capgeek saying we have $12M in cap space just helps us understand how much more money the Oilers can spend this year. They only have about $9M in cap space, but they can actually spend $12M. Would it be wise to though? No, of course not. But that’s basically what Chicago did (and thus why they got hammered hard this year with a bonus penalty).

Just in case I lost anyone, we have $12M (ish) cap space not including bonus salary. They include the bonus money in the cap calculation (bringing us down to $9M cap space), but then again, we can overspend by that bonus amount, bringing us back up to where we started.. $12M cap space (for lack of a better term).

Looks like a nice deal. Gagner I’m hoping will be more like 2.1, 2.25, 2.5 on a three year. Cogliano should be less than Brule (not sure what he makes now but he’s not as good).

I’m not really counting Cogs as part of the team right now either. The guy is tradebait along with Souray.

The nice thing with the cap room is it gives us the ability to take on a guy who is at a high level if there is a trade open (prays for Savard).

LateNightOilFan: OK gotcha Racki – although the bonus cushion is maxed at 7.5% of the cap limit: $4.455m this year so you have to watch out for that.I’ve still been seeing some other inconsistencies between teams on the site, especially with the non-roster players they are listing.

Ahh yes, good point about the max bonus cushion. It would make sense that there would be one, and it probably isn’t too difficult for a team to go over (as I’m guessing the Hawks did).

21. MetalOil says:

Nice work Tambs !!!

I thought he was going to get about 2.2 million per so having him signed at 1.85 for the next 2 seasons is a good deal. To me it seems that Brule truly appreciates how the Oilers rescued him from the development standstill he was in with the Blue Jackets organization because he would have been looking at more dough in arbitration.

Good to see some players with loyalty here now !!!!!

22. NorwegianOiler says:

I’m pleased to see us hang on to Brule for another couple of seasons. What I see in Brule, apart from his mentioned skills and grit, is a ‘winner’ – he just appears to be a guy that has the inner drive to succeed. I’d put a dollar on him being labelled a ‘playoff performer’ once he finally gets some playoff action :P

Brule’s fast becoming one of my favourites. Can’t wait to see him wind up that slapshot again (which he does quite often for a forward, I like that!)