Jacques Is Bacques…

By , July 13, 2010 2:59 pm
Hell fuckin ya... Jacques doing what he does best..

Hell fuckin ya... Jacques doing what he does best..

Today the Oilers re-signed Jean-Francois Jacques to a 1-year, one-way, $615k deal.

As mentioned before, I know I’m in the minority here, but I’m happy about this re-signing. I think Jacques was easily our best energy guy last year. The unfortunate part was Quinn used him pretty heavily in a power forward role. I didn’t even mind that so much, but it didn’t work out.

Really, I’d like to see Renney clearly define his role as an energy/checking guy. Give up the power forward experiment. As an energy guy, he is absolutely fun to watch. Him and Stortini have teamed up for some great shifts together where they’ve gone out and ran over anything that moved. I think we can expect much of the same this year, if the both of them stay fairly healthy.

One stat that helps defend Jacques was something that Jason Gregor brought up. Jacques played a mere 49 games last year, but still led the Oilers in hits with 158 hits. Stortini was second with 144 hits in 77 games. So that alone tells you just how much Jacques hits.

He’s ruthless out there. He doesn’t care if a guy is facing him or turning to the boards (some what of an art form for some players these days is trying to draw a hitting from behind penalty by turning their back to the hit). He borders on the edge of dirty, and I fucking love it. It’s something we haven’t had here since Torres, and Jacques does it much more often and better (and without sniffing a line of coke first).

I think it was a bit of a shacques … er… shock to us all that Jacques filed for arbitration, but I think given how little he settled for, he wasn’t expecting anything crazy. I think he just wanted a one-way deal and a slight pay raise. What he got, I would say is a bargain for us, if that bacques holds up. One thing Gregor also mentioned that was good to hear: “Jacques’ back is progressing nicely”.

32 Responses to “Jacques Is Bacques…”

Cut me some Slacques on the Jacques jokes.

Is there any update on the status of his back? I don’t know if he’s going to be ready for camp or not.

I agree though, I love the guy who is used as an energy guy and it was a shame that he was missused last year on the power forward position. Hopefully he’s healthy and stays healthy. Him Fraser and Storts would make a a really fun line to watch. Throw in a dash of MacIntyre and it’s a pretty intimidating bunch.

What I like is the end of a nasty game possibility of this:

JFJ-Fraser-Storts

That would be a nice line to do some instant retribution for sure.

I truly hope his health issues are done and he can just play that physical role that I know I loved to watch last year. His hits were great and that makes the other team back off somewhat.

If we can get a hitter on the blueline to replace Souray, then this will be a team not to be messed with.

Chucker: I snuck in an edit on this post afterwards and mentioned that Jason Gregor said his back is “progressing nicely”. Which I assume means that it’s all good to go until he throws it out in game 2.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jf+jacques+fights&aq=1 The fight with Regher is the best but not so much against Bieksa. He needs to work on his left, but yeah, good agitator and decent fighter. Maybe Big Mac can teach him a little bit on using his left better.

@ Racki, good to hear he’s progressing well. I really hope that his back issues are done. I’d like to see what he could do while completely healthy. I think most would.

chucker: I like is the end of a nasty game possibility of this:JFJ-Fraser-StortsVandermeer-MacIntyre (he has played D, but who cares if the point is to go out and destroy?)That would be a nice line to do some instant retribution for sure.

heh, yeah…or even better.

MacIntyre JFJ Storts

Strudwick Vandermeer

7. mrgod2u says:

At .6 mill who cares if he is good or not. This is a “fill in the blanks” deal. At worst he gets waived. At best he earns his keep or exceeds expectations (and at that price expectations can’t be high). He is big and tough and hits, even if he doesn’t score a goal but can protect our youth it is worth the pay. If we get to the end of the season and the roster spot is gone… then so is he. I read Massey’s post and the stats are not good. But stats always say what you want them to say. It is a pretty cheap gamble, with very little at risk except a roster spot that we might not have a 4th liner to fill anyway.

Racki: Yes, I argued over on another blog that Gagner is a career -30 and Brule is a career -38. Should we cut those guys too?People aren’t seeing this for what it is. Like you said.. a 615k player that is easily removable if he doesn’t work out, but has potential to crash and bang and bring energy to the team.

Well said my friend, well said.

10. Puritania says:

I like JFJ on this team if he sticks to smashing people with hits, and dropping the gloves from time to time. I agree that the power forward role doesn’t suit ‘im.

Racki: People can go ahead and go back to crying when we dump the muscle and go back to the soft skill guys and see what happens.

agree wholeheartedly.

gr8one: heh, yeah…or even better.
    MacIntyre JFJ Storts
    Strudwick Vandermeer

That line gives me a tingly feeling in my loins.

11. dawgtoy says:

Agreed Rack, provided JFJ plays that fourth line excitement, banging bodies game, he is well worth the money … Even injured, he’s a bargain. As soon as he’s played as a power forward…were done.

12. string says:

string: so the oil signed shawne belle tonight i did not realize he was that high a draft pick. I have to wonder if he can crack the lineup. Tencer said that his camp targeted us not us him.

Shawn Belle: http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=55476

Looks like another depth guy for the farm.

14. MetalOil says:

chucker:
    Shawn Belle:http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=55476Looks like another depth guy for the farm.

A couple of articles I read say that he could challenge for a spot at training camp. Apparently he instantly becomes this organizations best skating D man.

Probably another depth guy for the farm. He is a great skater though, and was a high draft pick so who knows. Rishaug says he will challenge at camp. All signs point to him in OKC however.

First off, I don’t think I’ve seen you post here, so for starters.. welcome to “The Foil”!

Secondly, I have to admit, I have never even heard of this guy, and he’s a first rounder (albeit barely). Wow.

Anyways here is the scouting report on him from Hockey’s Future (fyi, it’ll probably be a couple of years old, but still applies a bit, I’m sure):

Talent Analysis
    Belle is a well-balanced skater who has good speed. He is very athletic, highly skilled and can play in all situations. He is good positional player when he wants to be. He has great height and weight distribution, though a little more muscle could never hurt. He is a very capable defenseman with the stick and has a big league shot. Even though he is a great two-way player, he shows his youthfulness by trying to do too much.

Future
    Belle was acquired in return for the disappointing Corey Locke. And while Locke was all about offense — and only offense — Belle is the flip side of that coin. He has the talent to be a fifth or sixth d-man in the NHL, but looks to be a depth signing for the club. His experience may mean that he will be an injury call-up in the NHL, but don’t expect him to lock down an NHL roster spot in the next couple of years.

Oh one thing to note is he’s an Edmonton boy. He also has good size (6’1, 235, according to hockeydb). I don’t know, he might actually compete for a roster spot here, who knows. He never cracked the Wild or Canadiens lineups though, so possibly not. But worth giving a shot, as he only cost us $600k (According to Capgeek, although they say the numbers aren’t official yet).

You kind of have to wonder though… Strudwick just signed, Vandermeer is signed. Including Belle, I count 8 natural defensemen (and thats not even including Chorney, Plante or Peckham). Someone won’t be happy after training camp is over, and it might not be Belle. Guess we’ll see.

Oops, my count was off, as it DID include Chorney, and also included Souray. lol

CAREER POTENTIAL: Toolsy defenseman with holes in his game.

Yeah, Tencer said he was signed with the thought that he would be playing hard for a roster spot with the big club.

Another note on him that is somewhat interesting is Rishaug tweeted that he “instantly becomes the best skating defense-man in the organization” , for whatever that’s worth…

Yah that piqued my interest too, given that we have a couple of guys who are no slouches in the skating department. Although really, I wonder if he would say that if Visnovsky was still here. I don’t know enough about the guy.

article I threw up about all 3 signings.

On Belle, I really want to see what he might be able to do at the NHL level for a few games. Sounds like, as Racki mentioned, that he could end up like a Jason Smith type project. Hopefully Renney can work with him. If he doesn’t make it in the NHL, then we could use him in the AHL, as a guy that can be a leader and can put up numbers in the AHL. I like the move.

22. victoriaoilerfan says:

Racki: Oh and credit to RossCreek on OilersNation for digging up this scouting report (this would be the one that comes from Central Scouting that you used to see on TSN and such, I believe):ASSETS: Owns an impressive physical package and plenty of athleticism for a blueliner. Is willing to make his presence felt with strong hits in the defensive zone.FLAWS: Lacks the hockey sense required to maximize his potential. Is not a scoring threat at all, despite the tools to do so. Takes a lot of bad penalties.CAREER POTENTIAL: Toolsy defenseman with holes in his game.My translation of what that said: Too bad we still don’t have Charlie Huddy here to help this guy out. Sounds like a “project” defenseman that could turn into that Jason Smith type, reborn bargain, but could end up being a complete bust too.

You eluded to a good point Racki. Just who is tutouring our D? Seems like a postion we shoul dbe doing a better job at filling. But perhaps thats just me. I liked Huddy, and I don’t think he has ever been adequately replaced.

I presume that fell under Renney’s umbrella last year?

Jason Smith!

25. victoriaoilerfan says:

dawgtoy: Benjamin Massey goes the other way with Jacques.http://www.coppernblue.com/2010/7/13/1567983/oilers-sign-jean-francois-jacques

Here is a little poem he wrote:

There once was a player named Jacques,
    Whose had hands that were carved out of rock.
    Tambs loved his wheel,
    Gave an NHL deal,
    And now the Oilers are gonna suck cock.
    by Benjamin Massey on Jul 13, 2010 2:20 PM PDT up reply actions 2 recs

gr8one: Jason Smith!

Actually I think the Oilers talked to him, didn’t they? I thought I heard something about that. Could have just been some crazed fan speculating.

victoriaoilerfan: Wow he sure does go the other way. I had to laugh at this reply of his tho it is a bit over the top. He hates JFJ!!
    Here is a little poem he wrote:There once was a player named Jacques,
    Whose had hands that were carved out of rock.
    Tambs loved his wheel,
    Gave an NHL deal,
    And now the Oilers are gonna suck cock.
    by Benjamin Massey on Jul 13, 2010 2:20 PM PDT up reply actions 2 recs

Yah I saw that and laughed too.. but I don’t think a 4th liner is going to make or break this team.. funny limerick nonetheless.

haha…if Jason Smith was hired to help the team coaching would it be considered “Gator Aid”?

lol…sorry, couldn’t resist, I think I was possessed by Principe there a moment.

bazinga!

That’s up there with Jacques Bacques.

29. Mr.Majestyk says:

string…belle. Stringer Bell from The Wire!

I can honestly say I have no clue who Shawne Belle is but the more competition the better I say.

Also,

Yo String, where’s Wallace at?

30. neufab says:

Bostonoiler: I’m happy to see him back to be honest. I like how he is an energy guy. I LOVE how he hits everyone and anything. If he plays all 82 games, or close to it, he will lead the NHL in hits, n doubt in my mind. I really hope Renney uses him correctly, as a checking forward not a powerforward. You do that and he can easily be an effective player.

I completely agree.

I’m glad he’s back. We needed a little more Jacques’ last year. He is a physical threat on the ice. He has to have at least one healthy year in him, but given his history, I suspect MacIntyre will draw in a few extra games. I would like to see what his season would look if he played 82 games; I think he could turn aside a few critics.
    … at least those who don’t expect him to be second coming of Mark Messier.

Good article on Jacques by Matheson here: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Jacques+believes+stay+healthy/3280353/story.html

Basically supports what I said above, a bit, as well as gives promise that his back should be better… but that remains to be seen yet.