Happy Canada Day / Free Agent Bonanza Day

By , July 1, 2010 8:45 am

Happy Canada Day Folks...

Happy Canada Day Folks...

So, here it is, July 1st… one of the more fun days in the NHL world – the first day of the free agency period (starts at 10PM EST today).

As with every year, there are several players out there that are available through the UFA market. The Fourth Period has compiled a list of the top 30 available UFAs, most of which would be of no interest to the Oilers though. But there are others out there…

The Oilers could really use some of those gritty glue players, however, as well as a shutdown defenseman and possibly another puck mover (or preferably a combination of the two). Zbynek Michalek is said to be about to make a decision between the Coyotes offer and testing the market. Agent Bill Zito also mentioned that clients John Madden and Adam Burrish will likely test the market as well too, since Chicago really has minimal cap available.

Will Tambellini continue this hot week, or will there just be a lot of smoke? One thing is for certain, we won’t be going after the big gun this year (Kovalchuk). Thank you for finally learning that lesson. We can now retire the recruitment video.

Anyways, discuss the goings on of the free agent bonanza here. I’ll be away for the first hour or two of it, as I’ll be off at Ikea buying a wall unit to house the awesomeness that is my new receiver, and other things.

180 Responses to “Happy Canada Day / Free Agent Bonanza Day”

I’m liking the signing of Foster. Lets keep it going Tambi.

2. Haboiler says:

Volchenkov to Devils … looks like a 6 yr deal…

3. MetalOil says:

Nice that 1.8 per on Foster seems like a fair deal for both sides.

4. DropIt says:

Whats wrong with Jokinen? He is a serviceable centreman who was just taking heat because of his contract…

Sounds like Calgary may get him back for about 3M which I think is a good deal. And Tanguay at 1.7M is bad? a guy that had a career year next to Iginla? sounds pretty good to me…

and White will be retained..as Regehr’s name has been floating around, and a centreman has to be going somewhere if Jokinen was brought back

5. DropIt says:

Eklund Twatwaffle

Im worried

DropIt: Media session for Sutter happening now… I know it’s Ecklund, but he had this to sayEklund Twatwaffle TwatwaffleIt is rare that I am afraid to report a trade rumor, but what Calgary may be about to do is terrifying. Im worried

LOL LOL LOL

7. DropIt says:

LOL… Oiler GM’s son signs with Div. rival Vancouver Canucks

8. MetalOil says:

Our GMs son just signed with the rival Canucks.

10. Haboiler says:

Chris Mason to ATL.

11. MetalOil says:

Ya and Canucks also have Sam Gagners dad in player development. Conspiracy theorist in me thinks we have infiltrated the Nucks organization with two Oiler spys :)

LOL @ Sutter

Flames get Jokinen back

13. Haboiler says:

Another Chicago dump with Andrew Ladd going to Atlanta…

14. DropIt says:

gr8one: My biggest problem with Jokinen for the Oilers is his work etic and alleged locker room cancer, something we do not need in the dressing room.

actually, his work ethic was consistantly tops ever since he was in Calgary… he was very coahcable and became a good 2 way forward.. for 3M dollars I’ll take another shot on him.

Looks like Vancouver has signed Jeff Tambellini and have traded Kevin Bieksa.

DropIt:

heh, well…good thing, cause you can have him!

17. victoriaoilerfan says:

Bostonoiler: Looks like Vancouver has signed Jeff Tambellini and have traded Kevin Bieksa.

Bieksa for who?..you know yet?

victoriaoilerfan: Bieksa for who?..you know yet?

I heard the Blue Jackets. Nothnig else yet.

19. victoriaoilerfan says:

gr8one: heh, well…good thing, cause you can have him!

Great quote from Dreger:
    “I won’t lie to you, working this Jokinen story today has been among the more bizarre experiences of my career. lol “

Hamhuis to Vancouver is now done.

21. victoriaoilerfan says:

victoriaoilerfan: Great quote from Dreger:“I won’t lie to you, working this Jokinen story today has been among the more bizarre experiences of my career. lol ”

Heres Tencers reaction LOL

dantencer
    .Wow, Darryl Sutter has completely lost it. Tanguay, OK, fine. Jokinen…holy man.

22. Haboiler says:

From Twitter

Joshgrunberg – Kurtis Foster text to me: “Tell Pierre McGuire if he mentions I’m overpaid again, to where a helmet between benches this year! (kidding!)”

Kings about to make a statement…something big happened (That spells Kovalchuk right? RIGHT?)

24. MetalOil says:

Dan Tencer tweet:

Kings about to announce something big.

I think we all know what this is.

TSN says Oilers in on John Scott.

Kings might have made a trade and not sign Kovi like we all thought

Souray to the Kings??? Very possible.

Wicked.. while I was out, we got Kurtis Foster, hey? Love that. That will fill the hole for another puck mover we’ll need once Souray is gone. Another name of a d-man that might come cheap is Nick Boynton.. mentioned him lots last year. He will fade away on line 3 pairing, but he’d still be good. Also Morrison still available, I see.

Tambellini has officially restored my faith in him though even if he doesn’t pick up a defensive d-man. But he should still look for a forward or two that is 2 way and or checking/energy types.

Bostonoiler: TSN says Oilers in on John Scott.

I’m not going to be overly upset if the Oilers did sign him (hey he’ll come cheap, and that means sionara to Strudwick), but really I think if we picked up Vandermeer I’m not sure why we grabbed Foster too. Our 3rd line pairing seriously going to be Vandermeer / Scott? That’s scary as fuck for everyone on the ice… including our own team!

My buddy texted me: “Jokinen back to the Flames… Sutter is officially nuts.”

TSN Update on Oil: No interest from Oilers on Asham so far. Still looking for more toughness, Scott is believed to be on the front burner

Bostonoiler: Souray for Stoll deal on the way??? I think Souray was just traded. Bob McKenzie from TSN said that the Kings were upset they lost out on UFA Dmen and might have just traded for one.

Is the rumor really Stoll? I’d be fuggin ecstatic over that. I’d take back all the horrible things I said about that dipshit GM… (kidding :P.. about the dipshit part)

34. victoriaoilerfan says:

Racki: My buddy texted me: “Jokinen back to the Flamers… Sutter is officially nuts.”I think the contract is good though, but it’s kind of funny how he just re-acquired Jokinen and Tanguay.

Rumour: Huselius is next (sarcasm) Ollie isn’t worth 3 million IMO. They just talked about that on TSN

Racki: Is the rumor really Stoll? I’d be fuggin ecstatic over that. I’d take back all the horrible things I said about that dipshit GM… (kidding .. about the dipshit part)

Stoll’s name is being tossed around. Safe to say I’d be thrilled with a Souray for Stoll trade.

Whitney-Gilbert
    Foster-Smid
    Johnson-Vandermeer
    Scott (If signed)

Thats a good defense. At forward:
    Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
    Penner-Stoll-Eberle
    Svensson-Horcoff-Brule
    Jones(Or UFA, its possible)-Fraser-Storts

GO GO TAMBI

36. victoriaoilerfan says:

What has happened to Sutton?

victoriaoilerfan: What has happened to Sutton?

Hes still out there. He is oft injured though.

38. victoriaoilerfan says:

Belanger, seemed to be a fav. around here. He hasn’t got any mention either.

victoriaoilerfan: Belanger, seemed to be a fav. around here. He hasn’t got any mention either.

Rumor is that he has been called by the Oilers.

40. victoriaoilerfan says:

well geez, 10 minutes ago twitter was on fire about “something big” going down and now it’s completely dead.

are we done for the day, or the calm before the storm?

gr8one: well geez, 10 minutes ago twitter was on fore about “something big” going down and now it’s completely dead.are we done for the day, or the calm before the storm?

Tencer said they are NOT done today.

43. Haboiler says:

victoriaoilerfan: I just walked past the TV and saw big Mac’s name go by on the banner. I think someone picked him up? Didn’t see who tho.

Nothing on TSN Tracker at this point…

44. victoriaoilerfan says:

Thhis isn’t the end of the UFA signings as we all know. The *leftovers are still there and negotiations go on. We still need to do some work IMO. But at the very least Tambi didn’t over pay by much or get us into contract trouble in the future.
    Thank god Klowe isn’t handling this day by himself anymore.

45. dawgtoy says:

Could be much worse then K.Lowe and Tambi, all you have to do is look south at some of the strangest signings in the history of free agency.

46. Mr.Majestyk says:

Sometimes this song reminds me of the OMB.

Too Many Dicks(at the OMB)

Volchenkov for 6 years at 4.25 per is a pretty good deal for Jersey. Bastards.

Oilers sign Fraser to a 2-year deal. Not sure terms yet.

Racki: Oilers sign Fraser to a 2-year deal. Not sure terms yet.http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=533574

as per BobMacK:

Bob McKenzie
    $825K AAV for Fraser’s two year deal with EDM.

50. MetalOil says: