Happy Canada Day / Free Agent Bonanza Day

By , July 1, 2010 8:45 am

Happy Canada Day Folks...

Happy Canada Day Folks...

So, here it is, July 1st… one of the more fun days in the NHL world – the first day of the free agency period (starts at 10PM EST today).

As with every year, there are several players out there that are available through the UFA market. The Fourth Period has compiled a list of the top 30 available UFAs, most of which would be of no interest to the Oilers though. But there are others out there…

The Oilers could really use some of those gritty glue players, however, as well as a shutdown defenseman and possibly another puck mover (or preferably a combination of the two). Zbynek Michalek is said to be about to make a decision between the Coyotes offer and testing the market. Agent Bill Zito also mentioned that clients John Madden and Adam Burrish will likely test the market as well too, since Chicago really has minimal cap available.

Will Tambellini continue this hot week, or will there just be a lot of smoke? One thing is for certain, we won’t be going after the big gun this year (Kovalchuk). Thank you for finally learning that lesson. We can now retire the recruitment video.

Anyways, discuss the goings on of the free agent bonanza here. I’ll be away for the first hour or two of it, as I’ll be off at Ikea buying a wall unit to house the awesomeness that is my new receiver, and other things.

180 Responses to “Happy Canada Day / Free Agent Bonanza Day”

Kurtis Foster and Shaone Morrison please.

And trade Souray/Cogs+ for a bona fide #1 Center and we’re set.

And if by some miracle Tambi was able to get Horcoff traded as well, then sign Malhotra too!!

Shaone Morrison DEFINITELY. Kurtis Foster an alright suggestion, as we do need another puck mover.. but I’m definitely down with Morrison.

The only thing left once we have a guy like Morrison would be to move Souray somewhere. Other names I like are the Coyotes.. Michalek and Morris. There are others out there, but we definitely need a shut down type d-man.

And if we managed to trade Souray and Cogs for a #1C, consider me pretty ecstatic.

3. adrian says:

wooo July 1st! I was looking at that list, and Eric Belanger could be a really good fit… 3rd line RW/C, good for 15ish goals and 35-40 points

Millhouse‘s Twitter says the Oilers are probably interested in Derek Boogaard. Not a fan of that at all. No thank you.

Yeah, I don’t want Boogie either, although I do think we need a nuclear deterrent to make other teams think twice about running our kids…But I’d rather have John Scott than the boogie man.

6. NorwegianOiler says:

Hehe, agree Racki, no no to Boogerman. Indeed, no to the ‘enforcer’, no space and no need for a 3 minute dinosaur.

I wonder, what is the actual difference between John Scott and Derek Boogard, apart from the name? :P Personally, I hate the lack of mobility of these kinds of players.

lol, N.O.

8. victoriaoilerfan says:

gr8one: lol, N.O.I agree there’s not much difference between the two, I just think Scott skates a little bit better and will likely be a tiny bit cheaper, plus I believe he can play both D and fwd, albeit not very well…but better than Boogie.

I can’t find a thing about Scott’s contract status?

9. DropIt says:

Racki: Millhouse’s Twitter says the Oilers are probably interested in Derek Boogaard. Not a fan of that at all. No thank you.

Really? I know he is due an underserved raise… but I would be looking for a bottom 6 guy like Boogard to play Semenko to Hall and Eberle

10. DropIt says:

Tanguay back in Calgary…

and no Michalek to EDM, Racki :P

11. MetalOil says:

I would not be opposed to Boogaard or Scott if the price is right. We can just insert them into the line up in the games where he will be needed. I believe that these heavyweights still have a useful role, Especially on a young team.

12. Haboiler says:

Crap Colby Armstrong signed in TO for $3M a yr.

13. victoriaoilerfan says:

Haboiler: Crap Colby Armstrong signed in TO for $3M a yr.

Good move for the Leafs, that and Versteeg. Armstrong is a liitle expensive but the Leafs have more money than brains as we all know.

Boston radio and such talking about Savard to the Flames could happen soon. My target Colby Armstrong is a Leaf :(

Rumor on twitter: Oilers were in on Armstrong till the end, but Burke give him 3 M per.

16. DropIt says:

HUGE overpayment on Armstrong…

I thought 2-2.5 MAX … Burke has lost it

DropIt: HUGE overpayment on Armstrong… I thought 2-2.5 MAX … Burke has lost it

I guess that was the Oil were offering, but Burke put the big bucks up and Tambi said screw it.

Z. Michalek(Sp?) signed with the Pens today.

DAMNIT TAMBI:

Malhotra to Vancouver.

19. MetalOil says:

Damn it Manny Malhotra to Vancouver, 3 yrs / 7.5M. This was my main target.

MetalOil: Damn it Manny Malhotra to Vancouver, 3 yrs / 7.5M. This was my main target.

snd a NTC. I think it was an overpayment for him.

21. MetalOil says:

OK time for Tamby to get on the phone with Kovy’s agent :)

22. DropIt says:

Bostonoiler: DAMNIT TAMBI:Malhotra to Vancouver.

for 2.5 per.. and a NTC … that signing is laughable

23. NorwegianOiler says:

Haboiler: Crap Colby Armstrong signed in TO for $3M a yr.

Hah, as much as I think Armstrong is a decent player, this just goes to show how much Burke is willing to pay for ‘pugnacity’ :P

24. Haboiler says:

Way too much for Maholtra! I would have signed Armstrong for that contract value.

25. NorwegianOiler says:

Bostonoiler: snd a NTC. I think it was an overpayment for him.

Sens: Gonshar
    Habs: Auld
    Leafs: Armstrong
    Flames: Tanguay
    Nucks: Malhotra
    Oilers: Nothing

……..

Shelly to the Flyers. Looks like Boogard is off to the Rangers.

Bostonoiler: Sens: Gonshar
    Habs: Auld
    Leafs: Armstrong
    Flamers: Tanguay
    Nucks: Malhotra
    Oilers: Nothing
    ……..

Bostonoiler: Shelly to the Flyers. Looks like Boogard is off to the Rangers.

I thought you meant Souray. :razz:

29. MetalOil says:

Bostonoiler: Sens: Gonshar
    Habs: Auld
    Leafs: Armstrong
    Flamers: Tanguay
    Nucks: Malhotra
    Oilers: Nothing
    ……..

Sometimes the best moves are the ones that are not made. Nothing wrong with waiting till the big names are gone to pick up some guys at good value.

I am still holding on to a glimmer of hope for Voltz but probably will not happen. He is the only guy that I would consider braking the bank for at this point.

Bostonoiler: Sens: Gonshar
    Habs: Auld
    Leafs: Armstrong
    Flamers: Tanguay
    Nucks: Malhotra
    Oilers: Nothing
    ……..

yes, because we’re not willing to overpay…which is a good thing, history shows patience during free agency gets teams the best contracts value wise, especially when you’re team isn’t going for home runs.

still lots of great role players out there…and I’m thinking that once all the big UFA D men are all signed it might open up more of a market for a better return on Souray.

I just want news lmao

32. victoriaoilerfan says:

Bostonoiler: Shelly to the Flyers. Looks like Boogard is off to the Rangers.

victoriaoilerfan: Who the F* is going to be the *enforcer looking after the young players on the OIlers??

I hope its NOT Boogard

35. victoriaoilerfan says:

Bostonoiler: I hope its NOT Boogard

Me to, he is big dumb plug.
    How about Shaone Morrisonn? Whats the deal with him, any takers yet?

gr8one: Somethings really gotta give in Philly, they already had cap issues and have taken on a lot of salary already today.

Gotta be a trade coming there. Simply has to be a trade.

37. victoriaoilerfan says:

zackman35: Settle down BO, sure it would have been nice to have Malhotra/Armstrong but for the contracts they signed for? Armstrong would have been a nice addition but think of what’s coming and who’s still out there. The rest of the signings I’d say are questionable at the least.I thought you meant Souray.

LOL sorry to get your hopes up!

38. Haboiler says:

I can’t believe Montreal signed Auld for 900K and wouldnt ante up 1.5M for Ellis…. Bad decision!

39. MetalOil says:

The Oilers think Boogarrd is priced too high at the moment.

40. DropIt says:

Not to be a homer, but I cant see how Calgary’s signing of Tanguay is questionable…
    Low paying contract for 1 year. low risk, high reward move

41. DropIt says:

boogard to the rags

42. MetalOil says:

And now Boogarrd is a Ranger.

Eric Belanger might be a good option right now.

44. DropIt says:

Boogard makes 1.65 for 4 years… holy crap

45. victoriaoilerfan says:

NorwegianOiler: Teams appear to be throwing NTCs around everywhere. Soon there will be ‘little Heatleys’ all over, demanding to be traded here and there, being able to pick and choose themselves. And no one to blame but the GMs…

The Gm’s will live to regret this for sure. The foxes will be running the henhouses in this league for along time. Big mistake handing out NTC or NMC’s IMO.

46. victoriaoilerfan says:

DropIt: Boogard makes 1.65 for 4 years… holy crap

He isn’t worth 1.65 if it was spread OVER 4 years.

48. Haboiler says:

I want us to sign a shutdown Dman but I really hope we don’t pay $5M for Hamhuis or even Volchenkov.

49. victoriaoilerfan says:

gr8one: holy shit….ridiculous numbers today, overpay for Paul Martin, but that Boogaard contract is just fucking stupid, Sather needs to retire, what an idiot.

You mean Mr. 10th round pick McIlrath LOL