By , July 15, 2010 1:44 pm

What's that saying? Those who can't, teach?

What's that saying? Those who can't, teach?

General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have appointed Kelly Buchberger and Steve Smith as Assistant Coaches to Tom Renney and named Todd Nelson Head Coach of the Oklahoma City Barons of the American Hockey League.

Personally I was surprised to hear Smith named as an assistant. But Mark Lamb apparently was a name overheard as being in the running too (although he denied that). And well, given that the Oilers smoothed everything over with Mike Comrie last year, why not smooth things over with the one guy that was considered one of the most hated players in Oilers history (not by me though). Good to have you back, and hopefully this time around, the memories are a bit better for you.

40 Responses to “Former Oilers Steve Smith and Kelly Buchberger named as assistant coaches for the Edmonton Oilers”

Cue all the jokes about Smith. Trogdor and Steve-O already teamed up at work with:

Trogdor: ” he can teach our defence how to score”
    Steve-O: “from behind the net”

As much as that made me laugh, Steve Smith was a VERY good defensive defenceman… who will unfortunately be eternally remembered for that gaffe. But I am glad to see him back.

3. DropIt says:

Really? This goes to prove that Lowe is running things behind closed doors.
    Worst team in the league for “loyalty’ when it comes to providing work for ex players who really never earned it and in some cases have no real resume

gr8one: I dunno how I feel about it tbh…I’m actually kind of annoyed, I was thinking/hoping that we might be getting away from the old boys club and yet we retain Buchy and hire yet another ex-Oiler…I was really hoping that they’d be thinking outside the box a little.But whatever, maybe they’ll turn out great, Smith was a fantastic D-Man so hopefully that does translate to him really helping our D-corps, especially some of the younger guys like Peckham, Plante and Petry while they’re up with the big club.You guys remember Craig Muni? Man that guy layed some of the best hip checks I’ve ever seen.

Of course I remember Muni ;)

And I actually posted something similar as you on Oilers Nation. Well, sort of. I basically said that I wish they’d get away from the Old Boys Club, but since they didn’t, I’m happy to see Steve Smith back, as he was a very good d-man.

DropIt: Hard not to think that… who knows though, you would think that Renney would have a lot to say in who the assistants are.

He did do an assistant coach gig before coming back to score more goals with the Flames (there, now I’ve gone and done what I’d hoped people wouldn’t do). But that was just for one year, and when the Flames weren’t doing well.

Let’s just see how it goes, before we judge too much. But I do have a feeling too that it was kind of a last minute “oh crap, no one is left, lets pick a former Oiler” decision.

7. victoriaoilerfan says:

LateNightOilFan: I’m not really averse to the decision but my gut feel is this was the ‘well if we can’t find anyone better we can always go with these guys’ option.Other than being a pro scout for the last 2 years, what exactly has Steve Smith been doing since he retired in 2000?

If I read between the lines your asking “wht qualifies him for the job”? which is my question. A lot of great hockey players have made lousy coaches (Gretzky).In fact how many *good coaches were former good NHL players now that I think of it? (Lemaire) Not sure I like this, but it is what it is.
    It justs smells of KLowe.

Someone else on OilersNation mentioned something that trigged actually an interesting point in my mind. :P

The poster said something along the lines of “damn, when you said Smith was back, I thought you meant Jason.”

So… I replied with this, and I’d like to hear some responses from people here:

How many people would have been pleasantly surprised if Gator got hired as coach? Now, of those of you who answered yes to that, are you pleased that Steve Smith was hired as coach? If not, why not? Steve Smith was a great d-man whose career most people have a very narrow memory of. People will use the argument “well this guy has no experience” when it comes to Steve Smith, but I bet that most would be jumping up and down if Gator was hired, even though Steve Smith arguably had the better career.

So for you folks that are not happy at Steve Smith’s hiring, would you have been happy if Jason Smith was hired instead? Just call it a little experiment of mine. :P

9. Trogdor says:

Umm… No to Gator. Liked him as a player and maybe he’s got potential as a coach, but either or would have probably gotten similar reactions. Like it’s been said, you wait too long, there isn’t much left to choose from. At least they did attempt to lure other more suitable candidates albeit with no success. Maybe if they dismantled the staff at the end of the season instead of training camp…

That is kind of my thoughts too, I just heard some rumblings about Jason Smith coming back in as coach around various forums/blogs, and I know it was with some excitement. Suddenly when we are talking about a guy who was part of 3 or 4 cup wins (and while they were great teams, he was no slouch) who made one bad play, and only has one year experience as an assistant coach it’s like “whoa now, why are we hiring an inexperienced guy?”

It’s like the joke… build 1000 bridges, you’re a bridge builder. Build 1000 bridges and suck one c**k, and you’re a c**ksucker.

Yeah, I was at the gym and saw this on the ticker and “Ass” umed that it was Gator as well. I thought this was great, but Steve Smith will likely surprise some in my estimation.

Say what you will, but at least he has done SOME coaching at the NHL level with the shames and has been involved with it ever since his retirement.

If he can teach our guys to hit like he did, and play as nasty, I’m all for it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX6aqvYZ5J8 @ 1:50 is a classic Smith hit. I tried to find the one best hits ever for a long time, it’s an open ice hit he delivered just after getting to Chicago. I couldn’t find it but it’s one of those hits that you wonder if the guy can really bend that way. It was devestating to say the least. Clean open ice and guy with his head down coming into the Chicago zone. Damn, I wish I could find it. I’m thinking Smith working with Smid and Peckham would be great. Save that one goal, he had a great career and was one of the most feared hitters in the game when he played.

One thing that should be noted is that Smith was always in ridiculously amazing shape. The guy always looked like he was sculpted out of marble. I’m thinking he will be good to show some of these guys how to get strong and stay strong.

Tom Renney was interviewed by the Team 1260. You get the sense from his answers that this was a choice he made. That’s not to say that Lowe didn’t push him in that direction… I don’t know, it would make sense. But Renney had a lot to say about Smith, and you get the feeling that it was someone he wanted here. He also says that Smith being an ex-Oiler is coincidental. Actually, it sounded like Smith and Buchberger he had thoughts on using for the last 3 weeks or so, and also had a 4th guy in mind (one choice was Hay, which didn’t work out). He says that he will be considering a 4th, but isn’t 100% certain that this will happen.

Btw, the interview with Renney is here: http://www.theteam1260.com/sound_bytes/view/session/july_15th/1122/

Starts at the 24 minute mark on hour 3, and it has some pretty interesting content in it. I’d transcript it, but there’s just too much there.

Tom Renney on who wears the C… he’s going to make the choice, although mentioned that they might go with 3 A’s to start and let the captain emerge.

Here’s my summary of the interview:

– Renney chatted with Smith a few weeks ago and was impressed with where he took the convo..
    – He says Smith talked about the technical aspect of the game from a team perspective as well as player development.
    – Smith also talked about where he saw the game nowadays, where it was headed. Renney says he was very current and well spoken and enthusiastic.
    – Thinks Steve Smith can “help solidify a foundation”
    – Renney mentions that this game has evolved a lot since the lockout, and Smith has been working in the game since the lockout. He’s “seen the influx of great young players come into the league” from the personnel perspective. He’s seen coaching strategies continue to evolve and is comfortable with that.
    – Says Smith pre-scouted for Chicago in the playoffs helping Quenville prepare for games. Feels he helped contributed to the success there.
    – Mentions he still has a list of guys for a possible 4th coaching spot that would complement the current selection of coaches. He isn’t sure if he’ll go with a 4th though. Not necessarily looking for a “career coach” (as opposed to a former player like Buchy/Smith). He would like someone who can challenge him and has some experience…. someone with a similar background as Renney would be great, but what is important is that “the personalities match up”.
    – Renney will sort out the roles for the specific coaches by identifying each other’s strengths in the next couple of weeks.
    – Renney mentions that he has the occasional very casual bump in with Smith, but never really spoke to him until 3 weeks ago. However, once he did start talking to him, it became clear it was a “really good addition to our staff”. My words: sounds like it might be a case of the Oil mgmt group leading him in that direction, and him saying “yah, he’ll work well” (i.e., not his idea up front, but he liked the idea).
    – Really chose Smith based on where he sees the game today, player development today, and where he sees the game going in the future. That really impressed him. Says the fact that he’s an ex-player and ex-Oiler is coincidental.
    – Renney is confident that Smith’s interpersonal skills will help him deliver his game plan and relate to a player one on one.
    – Wants players to be able to be creative and play their game, but still wants to instill the important basics of working hard to get pucks back, etc..
    – Renney joked that when they hired him, they said he was ahead of his time, but it should be his time now.
    – Robin: (paraphrased) Uh, wtf, Steve MacIntyre is back? Didn’t Quinn say he wasn’t a fit here?
    – Renney likes guys that can play, and felt that they would be able to spend time teaching MacIntyre how to better play. Says they will work on MacIntyre’s skills as much as Jacques’ or Cogliano’s or anyone’s skills. Seems to feel that MacIntyre has the basic toolset and can learn the rest.
    – Likes MPS’ speed. Mention he doesn’t give up speed, but actually wants to gain it when he hits the blue line. Isn’t afraid to get dirty in the corners. Understands the net is the end point. Will give a clear identification of his role in exhibition.
    – Renney mentions that the captain will be his choice. He might go with 3 A’s to start, and let the captain emerge later.

Also of note, but not part of the interview…

Dan Tencer says that Renney hasn’t closed the door on Fleming’s return.

17. victoriaoilerfan says:

Re: Smith

victoriaoilerfan: Re: SmithSorry if this sounds a bit harsh. But that whole things like a politcal speech. I have heard to many of them in my lifetime perhaps. On the record..I am disapointed in Smith’s choice.Funny for someone that has not had any contact with a guy until 3 weeks ago, Renney is so gob smaked. After all it is a rather important job IMO to base it on a 3 week revalation, don’t you think?Doan was better, (remember him) but we screwed him over by not communicating. Now we get all kinds of communication, but it is all a load IMO.If you guys buy this, I have a bridge to sell you that will make you get all happy in the pants and get you no where fast.To sum it up. we have an ex Oiler with very little if any experience coaching coming into a rebuilding fragile franchise as an assitant coach in the NHL.Ah Kevin oh Kevin or the ghosts of…when are you going to fuck off! Please lord can we not turn this page and move on. Apparently not. Oh did I mention that I don’t like this move?

I’m hoping he turns into a Tim Hunter type. Hope for the best?

I am a youngin’ but is this the same Steve Smith?

And as biased as it is, I was hoping for this Smith…

Mine as well have stuck Kevin behind the bench for another season! We’ll see though, we can’t blame one soul person for anything though I just hope Tambo made the right “culture” move.

As far as only needing 3 weeks to evaluate him as a coach, think of it as any other job interview… how many 3 week job interviews have you had? ;) The Oil didn’t just spend the 3 weeks coach searching either, so they spent some time evaluating other coaches, getting all hot and heavy over them, and having them not want to come here too. lol At least, such was the case with Don Hay, anyways.

Interestingly enough, Dan Tencer flat out asks him if the coaching decision was his, or if it was Steve Tambellini’s, or if he worked in conjuction with Tambellini or anyone else. He said that the list of names he came up with on his own, and Tambellini “endorsed every one of them”.

Interesting. I don’t know why he’d lie about that. If it was a joint decision, I’m sure he’d say it. If it was Tambellini’s decision or Lowe’s decision alone, well, I’m sure he’d cover it up slightly (if he was that kind of person) by saying it was a joint decision. But I doubt he’d say that it was 100% his. So… Steve Smith… hand picked by Tom Renney, believe it or not.

Fyi, I’d say that the Tencer interview with Renney is even better than the Team 1260’s interview, check it out here: http://www.630ched.com/insidesports/episodes.aspx

Oh also, just listened to the Steve Smith interview (with Tencer)… highly recommend listening to it. I know it’s one thing to talk a big game, but I like what I hear from him, anyway.

22. Mr.Majestyk says:

If he lied about it when Tencer flat out asked him the question, I think it was just a way to end that conversation. If he gave an answer that was sort of wish washy, I think we know where the conversation goes. Its actually already gone there anyway.

I don’t really think he lied about it. Sure, it ends that line of questioning pretty quick, you’re right. I suppose that’s the motivation. But I think we here in Oilerland like to believe in our conspiracy theories (I too do the same). But he seemed pretty sincere in what he was saying and had a general respect for Steve Smith.

Btw, Steve Smith sounded pretty excited about the hiring. It was also a good interview worth listening to.

Oh and my own conspiracy theory here… if there was anyone that influenced Renney’s decision… I don’t think it was Lowe. I think if anyone, it’s Katz. I still wonder if he gets a bit more involved than he should. But there’s no proof of that at all, just some things seem a bit odd in how they unfold and don’t really bare the mark of Lowe (and admittedly this is one, bug I tend to believe what Renney is saying though).

Well, we can all sit here and debate conspiracy theories and rip management until we’re blue in the face, but IMHO the reality is that so far this offseason Tambellini has pretty much done exactly what he said he was going to do, and has actually got more accomplished than any one of us would have expected by now. Yes there is a long way to go, but it’s a good start so far.

And really, yeah I was annoyed that yet another ex-Oiler was hired from seemingly the “old boys club”, but that doesn’t automatically mean it’s a bad decision.

I don’t care what anybody says, but Steve Smith was a damned fine D-man in his day, spent a year in the NHL as an assistant coach, and then played a couple more years as what was pretty much a player/coach role. Yeah, that was a while ago, but his recent resume was a scout and played a key role working with the Stanley cup winning coach and franchise of this past season. That’s certainly not a terrible resume, and just because his name wasn’t on the radar that certainly doesn’t mean shit, When Bylsma and Clouston were hired everyone was like “where the hell did these guys come from” but they turned out excellent. In contrast to that when Todd MaClellan was hired in San Jose he was thought to be the second coming of Jesus and touted as the best up and coming coach ever, and yet has done shit with what is arguably the most talented team in the league.

I guess my point is this…sure Smith wouldn’t have been my first choice, but what’s done is done, and the reality is, until we actually see how things go, none of us know if it’s a good choice or bad, so until then my judgement is reserved.

oh yeah…another point I’d like to make.

Tom Renney just doesn’t seem like the kind of personality to just tow the company line and “cover up” things….at the very least, If he was coerced into a decision I’m certain he would make at least some sort of offhanded allusions that it was a “hiring by committee” type stuff…

25. Mr.Majestyk says:

Yeah, agreed gr8one…I’m not opposed to the Oilers hiring Smith per se. The idea is to get away from simply hiring ex-Oilers because Lowe is doing his out of work buddies a favour, but being an ex-Oiler shouldn’t exclude someone from being a candidate for a job.

Also, I’m also someone old enough to recall that Smith was a solid defender for us. He wasn’t afraid to fight either, even though he’d get smashed sometimes. We won the cup after the incident too, how great that must have felt for Smith after the Buckner like moment against the Flames.

26. victoriaoilerfan says:

Racki: Zack: Yes, that Steve Smith.. and Steve Smith was a solid d-man, despite that oopsie. So if you’d like Jason Smith as coach here, I’m pretty sure you’d like Steve Smith too. Vic: Agreed that this does wreak of interference from management, but I’m pretty certain too that Renney made the final call. Steve Smith was likely suggested to him, and he put him threw the interview process and decided on him. It would seem like too much of a fluke for Renney to have just randomly decided to interview a guy he didn’t really know much about though (so I agree, its very unlikely it was 100% his decision here). As far as only needing 3 weeks to evaluate him as a coach, think of it as any other job interview… how many 3 week job interviews have you had? The Oil didn’t just spend the 3 weeks coach searching either, so they spent some time evaluating other coaches, getting all hot and heavy over them, and having them not want to come here too. lol At least, such was the case with Don Hay, anyways.

Well if he decided on him going thru a list off candidates, I would love to see that list. I bet you me and Chucker along with Majestic were on it lol. A stellar group of candidates indeed. No wonder Smith looked good. He was chosen over who?
    Sorry to repeat myslef but I don’t think he has enough *coaching experience for a young fragile team. Has he ever done even basic stuff like run a team of pros thru a practice? He’ll whip Sourays complaining ass into shape (sarcasm)
    Problem with asst. coaches they are hard to judge from the outside. But they are *extremely important. In many teams they run the bench.
    *sigh So it is what it is, enough said.
    Mutters and grumbles like an old crank under my breath about Doan.
    One final thought/question! What do you think Quinn things of all this? Bet he loves it..notta lol.

Hey Vic, when you say “Doan”, do mean Rob Daum?

28. Mr.Majestyk says:

I think when Renney talks about possibly adding another coach it is to ‘run the bench’ as you say. Bucky and Smith are ex-players and I see them more as the mentoring aspect of the coaching dynamic. If Renney adds another guy it needs to be a technical guy, preferrably someone on the upswing.

Again, I’ll just say, save the judgement until he’s had an opportunity to coach here. Hard to knock on a guy’s ability to coach when none of us have really even seen it. Likewise, it’s hard to glow on about Rob Daum when he coached a team that finished in last place (although I think personnel issues helped that along). My point being, it’s a pretty big intangible for us, as we don’t actually see/hear what’s going on. I guess, for example, some people criticize Scotty Bowman saying he wasn’t really that good, he was just more of an opportunist (because he always had a good team in front of him). How would we ever know if he was a good coach or not? I suppose if he took a very good team and turned them to crap, we’d know he wasn’t. But the same can go for Rob Daum, who people exceedingly love here. I did want him to get a shot with our farm team with some better players, for sure, but I’m not sure I’m all that upset he’s gone, because I have no clue if he really is that good of a coach.

All I’m saying is give it a chance. If it bombs though, you are fully entitled to come back in a year with “I told you so!!”

Mr.Majestyk: I think when Renney talks about possibly adding another coach it is to ‘run the bench’ as you say.Bucky and Smith are ex-players and I see them more as the mentoring aspect of the coaching dynamic.If Renney adds another guy it needs to be a technical guy, preferrably someone on the upswing.

Yah, he actually kind of said that it would be a guy more on his level. I think it would be another Quinn/Renney combo… but someone more current, I suppose.

Foreword. :p

32. Mr.Majestyk says:

The problem with ‘I told you so!!’ is that people make random statements or remarks about just about every topic, but they never come back with “I was wrong!” When they are right, they tell you about it, when they are wrong, it will never be heard of again.

33. victoriaoilerfan says:

gr8one: Hey Vic, when you say “Doan”, do mean Rob Daum?and you really gotta think that a lot of coaches look at the Oilers and see that last year they hired some people, had a terrible year, and then fired/demoted said people. And other people were fired in a really shitty manner.Now, there is a fairly good chance that the Oilers are going to be a bottom feeder team again this year, so really…as an up and coming coach it might not make the most sense to take a job with a team like that, where it could very well end up that you get fired after one season on a bad team. That does not look good on a resume and could kill a young up and coming career.I guess what I’m saying is, I’m sure there weren’t a lot of high end candidates beating down the door to come here…which is why I was so critical at how a lot of the firings were dealt with.

Yes I meant Daum. Damn I do that every time. Your post is bang on. We scewed over (IMO) a guy that knows the organization and had expierence. Not sucess but the whole organization was crap. Regardless the way he ws handle could have been in the minds of some potential candidates. We will never know, but again, we have to be careful how we handle players and coaches from top to bottom.
    P.S. How we handle Souray is being watched by players around the league. Don’t you doubt it for a minute.
    Edit: you comment about being fired after 1 year. We don’t do that, we make them advisors or head of hockey operations lol.

34. victoriaoilerfan says:

just erased a double.

35. victoriaoilerfan says:

Racki: Again, I’ll just say, save the judgement until he’s had an opportunity to coach here. Hard to knock on a guy’s ability to coach when none of us have really even seen it.
    **(Thats because he hasn’t ever really coached. Kinda emphasizes the inexpierence point, big time.)

**(But Rob had NO players to work with. They were all being called up to replace the walking wounded on the OIlers. At one point they didn’t even have a goalie.
    My barber has a sign on his mirror that says “this is a comb, not a magic wand” Daum isn’t Houdini)

My point being, it’s a pretty big intangible for us

(I don’t like intagibles when we are a young re building team. We need experience and stability IMO)

(Scotty had the element of luck going to good teams for sure. But coaching good teams does take a special talent to handle the egos IMO. But put him behind the OIler bench he wouldn’t make them a wining team either. But he would give them confidence and a sense of leadership IMO.)
    But the same can go for Rob Daum, who people exceedingly love here.
    (No respected. Exceeding love is resereved for the wife, your stretching things here a bit)

(He wasn’t given a chance. so we will never know)It’s interesting that people often judge coaches on glamour. “Buchy is an obvious bad coach because he was a grinder and mediocre hockey player in his day”….. “we should hire Paul Coffey as an assistant coach because he was a fantastic offensive defenseman”. Really, I like what Renney said… (paraphrased) it’s about finding the right guys who work well together and can show good work habits and enthusiasm to the job, as that will rub off on the players. It’s also of course about finding the guys with the right toolset, and well, Steve Smith definitely has the right tools for coaching defence.

(Having the tools and being able to communicate them is two totaly different talent sets IMO. Gretzky is a prime example of that. But there have been a lot of others.)

( I won’t. Besides, as you stated Racki we really never fully know what goes on behind closed doors. If Smith bombs, we’ll likely never know or ever get the full story. I truly hope he does well. I mean that. The OIlers doing well are a hell of alot more important to me than being right)
    P.S. if I am going to trade thoughts with the big guy *Racki* I have got to learn to use the emotes etc. on this site

36. victoriaoilerfan says:

Tried to do some editing to make my responses easier to read, but got the jump around thing again. No matter just hope my thoughts weren’t to hard to decipher?

gr8one: Foreword. :p

Damn it.. well, consider it a pun :P And that picture was done back several months ago when I was a less established writer… har! :lol:

Mr.Majestyk: The problem with ‘I told you so!!’ is that people make random statements or remarks about just about every topic, but they never come back with “I was wrong!”When they are right, they tell you about it, when they are wrong, it will never be heard of again.

I have come out and said “I was wrong” on occasion. But yah, generally people like to hide when they’re wrong. :P

victoriaoilerfan:

First off, to use emotes, check the faq.. i think I mentioned them there.

Also, on Daum, and to add to your point as well as defend Daum… I remember him being quoted as saying that he was surprised because everything he heard from above was that he was doing a good job. I don’t mind that he wasn’t kept on, but I would have a) liked to have seen him get a shot with a better team (this year) and b) wish they would’ve handled it all better.

38. mrgod2u says:

I am willing to give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. Smith might be a phenomenal coach, who knows?

He might develop into an amazing coach who pilots the Oilers to a new dynasty, he could bomb, or anything in between. His success or failure has nothing to do with the fact that he once played hockey for the Oil. So to rip on him and say he can’t succeed because he is old boys club is silly.

Every coach in the league had some level of hockey experience. Most of them played in the NHL, Smith did too, it just happened to be with this team. Plus he was working in hockey up to this point. It isn’t like we drove by him on the street begging for nickels in his 1990 Oiler’s jersey and brought him in and gave him a pity job.

Seriously, if we let the whole Lowe/MacT thing predispose us against any player who ever played with the team we may be missing out on potential talent that could help us win. I for one say let his results speak for him, we can all line up to throw him under the bus if it doesn’t work in the end.

Sorry to beat the issue to death, but…

So from what I’ve read, here’s the way I make things as happening with the hiring of Steve Smith.

Smith ran into Tambellini/Lowe one day and mentioned that if Renney was interested, he (Renney) should give him (Smith) a call (in the EJ today).

Lowe or Tambellini went to Renney and mentioned that Smith was available.

Renney did a bit of preliminary research on Steve Smith’s post-hockey career and gave the thumbs up.

Lowe or Tambellini called the Hawks to ask for permission to speak to Smith, which the Hawks gave.

Renney then talked to Smith and interviewed him for the job. Renney liked what he heard, and hired him.

So no, the idea wasn’t his own, but I don’t think that it was one Lowe and Tambellini pushed on him. I think Jason Gregor mentioned on ON… why would Lowe allow Tambellini to do things like fire his friend MacTavish and some of the other moves we give Tambellini credit for, but not allow his coach to pick his assistants? The idea wasn’t likely Renney’s initially, but I think once he caught on to Smith and started talking to him, he liked the idea and thought “yah, this guy would be a pretty good guy to work with”. As for Buchy, well, people love to rip into him and paint him as this big dummy that doesn’t know anything, but maybe he is a pretty smart coach?

And agreed with what Mrgod2u says above!

Interesting stuff. The truth is that we won’t know until we see how they work with the kids and see the results. I’m going to stay optomistic for now and hope they do great. Also keep in mind that another “coach’s coach” will likely be added.