The rebuild, revisited

By , June 27, 2010 11:00 am
Decisions, decisions

Decisions, decisions..

So a post on David Staples’ blog inspired this post here. This originally was going to be a reply, but I found that my reply was far too long and would likely have been passed over by most people.

Within theCult of Hockey post, Staples questioned what the Oilers should do with the cast offs (Souray, Moreau, Nilsson, O’Sullivan), and what holes the Oilers should be filling (and David provided his opinion on both matters). Here is my take on it…

I think the Oilers biggest priority is in net, but since we’ve got our “world class all star” in between the pipes, chances are they won’t go out after anyone else. We all know already how much I would have loved for the Oilers to trade and sign Jaroslav Halak. It didn’t happen, but I think that is one piece we’re currently short on… a young up and comer goaltender. I don’t want to bail on Dubnyk and Deslauriers too early, but nothing I’ve seen has given indication that these guys can help carry a team on any given night just yet. Most of this does hinge on Khabibulin here though. I do believe he is a good enough goaltender to keep us competitive… it’s just the injuries that are a huge concern here.

Second priority is for some d-men. Biggest priority there would be for a guy who plays a solid defensive/shutdown game with the added bonus of being physical. Zbynek Michalek would be nice here. With our top pairing of Whitney and Gilbert, I could handle seeing Michalek and a puck mover on the 2nd line (we’re out of those too, aside from the scary Chorney, it would seem… perhaps this is where a cheap Grebeshkov comes in), and then close it up with Smid and Johnson with the beloved Strudwick as the 7th man (from what I understand the Oilers coaching staff/brass love him and want him around for his leadership).

If the Oilers manage to unload the Souray, Moreau, O’Sullivan AND Nilsson contracts, they’ll be sitting in a very comfortable spot on the cap, depending on who comes back. If they’re forced to take a bad contract back for any of Moreau, O’Sullivan or Nilsson, I’d suggest either waivers or buyouts instead. The 4 combined account for $10.325M in salary.

Oilers current cap situation

So, according to the wonderful Capgeek.com, that would leave us with nearly $31M in salary, minus whomever we get for Souray (and minus whomever we get for the other 3 if they go via trade, or their buyout amounts if they are bought out). Unfortunately, we’ve got a lot of RFAs to sign, as well as a forward core to rebuild up (only 5 NHLers signed at this point without the 3 forwards above!). We’d also need possibly 2 more d-men. I’d say the combined 2 would cost around $6M, leaving $25M for the 9 forwards (that include notable RFAs Sam Gagner and Gilbert Brule) and 1 goaltender to field a roster of 14 d-men, 7 defense, 2 goalies.

At any rate, this is what I’d call a rebuild. I didn’t realize how few guys we’d have left if we dumped the 4 players mentioned. They’d have a lot of choice on how to rebuild the team.

If I back up a step, $31M is the cap space available for 9 players signed. A full roster is 23 players. So that means the average salary the Oilers could pay the remaining players is $2.21M / season. I think that would be more than enough for each player, as this roster is going to include a lot of min-salary guys or guys that are on entry level deals.

So really, I think the best move here is for the Oilers to penny pinch and be frugal when it comes to the RFAs they re-sign. They might lose some quality guys like Potulny (already rumored, although I’d hate to see that happen), but they could really fill out the team and balance it a lot better than they have by re-structuring their forward and defensive groups. This starts by unloading those 4 guys we’ve talked about all year. So let’s see that get done… with waivers/buyouts being a very viable option!

70 Responses to “The rebuild, revisited”

I think we can get some return for Moreau. A team like the Pens might bite there. I say waive Nilsson and pray he gets picked up. If not let him play the year in OKC then let him go after the season(his contract will be up). O’Sullivan need to be gone via the buy-out. Who wants this guy, honestly??? Maybe call up NYI and see if they want him, but I can’t see any team wanting this bum! Souray will be traded July 1st. its what my gut is telling me. I think Michalek and Paul Martin are the two defenders we go after. There is no way Brule, Gagner, Stone and JFJ don’t get re-signed. I think Cogliano is dealt at July 1

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
    Svensson-Hall-Eberle
    Omark-Horcoff-Brule
    Jones-Fraser-Stortini
    JFJ/ Stone

Whitney-Souray
    Michalek-Martin
    Smid-Johnson
    Strudwick
    (You gotta let Plante, Peckham, Chorney, Motin and hopefully Marincin develop together in OKC)

Khabibulin
    DD

Add O’Sullivan’s buy-out hit, and remember Nilsson is in the AHL. Moreau was dealt to a team like the Ducks for a 3rd round pick in 2011, Souray moved to Atlanta for prospects and Cogliano to like ummmm Florida for a 2nd next season….sound good?

I totally agree with signing Michalek, I think he would be perfect on the second pairing with Smid, and even be a first paring defenseman if Whitney/Gilbert lose some of their chemistry.

I also think Smid is really starting to come into his own and will make a fantastic 2nd pair dman.

And I don’t know if anyone has ever been paying attention, but I’m totally on the Shaone Morrison bandwagon. He’s big and physical, can play a great shutdown role, he’s younger and would be cheaper than Martin. I especially think it’s important to bring back some physicality on the D tht we’ll be missing with Souray gone, and Morrison will bring that.

Shaone Morrison scouting report-> http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hockey/player.cgi?2471

About Potulny. Not a fan of this at all to be honest. It looks like they are making some decisions on roster spots and salary already, but to me, Potulny is not even in the top 8 guys I’d look at moving out based on what we have, especially with Cogs being shopped and Pouliot being very uninspiring.

I get that we have to move guys, but Potulny? Brodziak v2.0. Bad deal, especially for a 4th. I would hope for at least a third for him at this stage, but quite frankly, I’d prefere we keep him around.

gr8one: Yeah, I really like Potulny…I think he makes a great role player that can play 3 or 4th line minutes, and maybe even step upmto line 2 if really needed due to injury, he plays with great energy and has showed a bit of scoring touch, he’s really the kind of guy we want around to push other players to be better.Although, a one way contract might be a bit much for him to ask for, especially cause if he doesn’t make the team I think he’d be amazing on OKC and a great guy to have for injury callups.

Does Pouliot deserve his one way? How about Stortini? JDD? DD?

Moreau’s gone, Pisani’s gone, Souray’s gone, one of JDD or DD is gone, maybe even Khabbi, POS, maybe Nilsson. Potulny? What kind of message does that send to all the floaters?

Cogs is gone. That seems clear. Why trade Potulny now? It makes no sense to me. What’s the harm in giving him a one way with all the rookies coming in? Surely some of them will not be ready. Potulny is a great role player and for his cost, show me another player who provides his versatily for the same cost? Maybe Brule, that’s about it.

He’s one role player I’d keep. Especially knowing that there will be trades and buyouts coming soon that may involve several players. It just doesn’t make sense UNLESS there is another deal/deals in the works that provide us with something we need or have to take back.

I’m just tired of us getting rid of the few role players that actually are good on this team. It’s been a pattern for a long time that they really get a guy, he develops well, and then they get rid of him. Potulny is a guy I’d count on to put in 16-21ish goals/year on a 3rd/4th line. Who else on this team will provide that offense in that role?

6. victoriaoilerfan says:

I haven’t seen any Potulny rumours that he may be leaving? What is this about? I think he gives us a lot of bang for the buck. He isn’t on my *hit list for sure.
    Also Morrison looks like a big strong D man so I am up for that. He fights pretty good as well. He and Storts may be able to team up and together beat up Boogy (if he comes back.)
    O/T I don’t think we can afford a pure fighter but if you want one I have a feeling D.J. King may be available. I suspect guys like him are a dying breed however.
    Morrison can at least play.
    Sorry I just hit the link that Chucker posted regarding Poltuny.) Please don’t let him go Tambi!

Apparently Bobby Ryan might be available as the Ducks are having a hard time signing him.

assuming we would be able to sign him to a cap hit of around 4.5-5m I say offer them Hemsky, Souray and a 3rd for Ryan and a 2nd? something like that?

They get their vet dman to replace Neidermayer on their PP, and a high end RW to replace Ryan, and wee get one of the best up and coming YOUNG RW in the league that’s capable of 40-50 goal seasons, and has some size and grit.

And we dump even more salary to be able to sign some D-men.

Geezus, can you imagine a first line of Hall/Gagner/Ryan in a few years? Or MPS/Hall/Ryan???? yowza!

8. victoriaoilerfan says:

Wouldn’t that be the height of weirdness? Ryan going to the Oilers after Lowe runs down Burke for signing him and crapping on him as an idiot for taking him the draft. Not going to happen.

9. Mr.Majestyk says:

10. victoriaoilerfan says:

Mr.Majestyk: Lowe only said that Ryan was a questionable pick at 2. Maybe he thought he was better than Crosby and should have gone 1st! lol.

I hear ya, but Ryan has been pretty good. The Oilers draft record has not been pretty dismall up until the last few years. Don’t throw stones Kevin!

Bobby Ryan has been a questionable pick at No. 2 (overall in 2005), and up until this draft, they tried to move down and did a nice job of trying to replenish their depth chart. They had nothing coming, and that appears to be his M.O.”

11. MetalOil says:

Potulny was one of our best players on the PP last season. His value to the team is underrated. He is the perfect guy to be a 3rd or 4th line center and also center the 2nd PP unit.

I guess there is chatter out there that Souray was traded this weekend, but the team wasn’t on his list, and the deal will be made on July 1st. I wonder where it could be too. Maybe to Ottawa for either Spezza or a combo of Chris Neil and a pick to add some hitting and a leader to the 3rd line. Who knows. It should be interesting to see what goes down, thought I’d pass it along.

As for Potulny, I won’t be pissed if he were gone, but I don’t want him gone. I do feel we can find other guys for the role, but he played well this season for the Oilers. What kind of return could we get on him. Maybe its like Brodziak and he simply wants too much money. I can see the Oilers end of this, giving a 1-way contract to a guy who might not make the team(although you gotta think he makes the team)

Oilers must send out qualifing offers by TOMORROW! Guys that must get an offer are: Gagner, Cogliano, Brule, JFJ, Stone, Potulny, Peckham, Reddox, Pouliot, JDD, DD, O’Marra, Trukno, and a few others. I think its safe to say Brule, Gagner, Peckham, Cogliano and DD get offers. Anyone else is far game. Should be fun!

13. neufab says:

Brule, Gagner, Gilbert, Smid, Whitney, Stone, Peckham, JFJ, Stortini, Khabibulin are the only names currently on the roster that I have not yet heard in some form of rumor in the last 3 months.

The mention of Eberle’s name in that article is pure speculation by someone wanting to sound relevant. Eberle’s has been a guy they’ve been waiting for. With this new “Oil Change” Eberle’s emergence is key!

Clearly Tambellini ‘wants’ to overhaul the team, he also implied at seasons end that draft day could see roster changes. Question is, what can the Oilers get for who they have? Is Tambi prepared to give players away to be damn sure the team is being rebuilt from the ground up? Lets just say I’m a little skeptical of Steve Tambellini to this point. Yes we now have that future star so many of us have been waiting for, but other than tanking the season Tambi hasn’t really done much and hasn’t been able to find a willing partner.

“I am waiting to be impressed” Garfield.

Trukhno, JFJ, JDD, Lerg and O’Marra are all likely to not get offers therefore making them UFAs. It seems to be the general consensus on lots of blogs. JDD might as there is question about which guy gets kept and which one is not or can be traded. Moreau gets bought out for sure. POS is 50/50. Same with Nilsson, although I think they may give these guys a shot for one more year.

Good comparison between Potulny and Brodziak. I hope he isn’t cast off either. Hang on to the guys that are cheap and manage to get the job done. Of course, that is assuming he really IS cheap. If he’s asking above $1.5M and not budging, then I can see why they’d cut him loose.

The other angle you have to think of it from is that the Oilers are considering having probably upwards of 4 rookies in the lineup next year: Hall, Eberle, Omark, MPS. I’m not saying they’re all going to be up here, or they should.. but it’s a possibility that they have to consider. We may even see guys like Hartikainen too. Are we going to have room up here for the Potulnys?

Don’t get me wrong, as I said in the original article above, I’d hate to see him traded. I’m just trying to see where Tambellini might be coming from here…. Devil’s advocate, if you will.

I’m sure in a few years he’ll add a good 10-15lbs of muscle/weight (Hall/MPS/Ebs) but for now I’m not too comfortable with Gags or throw my shoulder out Horcs watching the show. I know it’s only two players (Moreau, Souray) but still we may start to lack a little backbone.

And here’s a little something I’ve been working on…

On Nilsson, I think him being bought out almost makes sense. Again, the buyout numbers, courtesy of CapGeek… (p.s. nice lightning out there tonight):

2010-2011: $-83,333
    2011-2012: $416,667

If we’re drawing a line in the sand on Potulny, they better have already pretty much considered Nilsson as good as gone too.

The buyout period ends pretty soon too (June 30th, I believe)

zackman35: I was just thinking, I’m kinda worried about our intimidation factor with Souray gone. I know we have “cough-huggy-bear” Storts “cough” but what other guys are out there to protect the kids? Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Stortini fan, it’s just that he can’t always be out there policing. Not too sure about Whitney… and Penner would be a little risky but he knows how to handle himself. I think I remember Fraser fighting quite a bit when he played for the Rebels but I think we need another player who can kind of watch out for the up and coming future. The last thing I want to see is Hall/Eberle/Skilled forward getting tossed around like a rag-doll or in a fight even.
    And here’s a little something I’ve been working on…http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/zackman35/top_bg.png

I know I’m like his only fan, but JFJ provides intimidation factor. Not sure if he’ll be around next year though. But he’s a guy that makes players keep eyes on their backs for one, because he has no issues with hitting a guy no matter which way he’s facing. Plus, he’ll stand up for teammates any day of the week. As I’ve always argued, define his role better, and he’ll be valueable on the team. Put him on line 4.

Another guy who can intimidate (as well as agitate) is Big Bad Theo. But I’m not sure if he’ll see much NHL action next year or not. Depends on what Tambi is planning.

Racki:

Yeah, I was looking a few things up and I found out that Fraser is still not afraid to drop the gloves so that’s good. His record isn’t the best but he’s still willing to go it seems but an extremely good deal IMHO for what we got him for. Although he seems like an excellent fit for forth line center but still where does Brule/Stoner land then?

Our fourth line alone could have five possible candidates.

4th line: JFJ – Fraser – Storts, Stone/Jones

And Wrekem’ Peckham should spend most his year in the “A” I think or at least until Smid is a solidified shut-down dmen. Smid is my favourite player but I think he has a good year or two before he’s considered fully developed. He’ll improve most likely beyond that point but I don’t know if I’d be comfortable paring him with Peckham yet. We’ve got our bruisers for forwards but I think we need a big bad dman, willing to block shots and pummel agitators/dirty players (Gator 2.0).

Oh btw, I always forget about Shaone Morrisson when it comes to defensive D-men (someone else brought his name up). Would love to have him. Looks like the Caps won’t be re-signing him. And also looks like the Coyotes are struggling with Derek Morris and Zbynek Michalek. So those are a few names out there. I’d prefer the under 30 guys.

I was reading OMB tonight and a poster mentioned that the Rangers might have taken Dylan McIlrath because the Oil really liked him, and he would be involved in a trade for Souray. Now I have a hard time believing something like that, but remember the Rangers have liked Souray, and they must win soon, or the fans will get upset with the money they are spending. The Rangers were not on his list I beleive also….Just something to think about.

22. Mr.Majestyk says:

I don’t get that. If the Rangers wanted Souray, they could have traded us their pick for Souray or arranged some sort of deal like that. Why draft the kid to the Rangers, have him get all the NY interviews and photos in the team jersey just to flip him to Edmonton right after? It makes no sense.

I agree that it isn’t likely to happen, but it could be possible that Souray gave the thumbs down to the trade, since he has a NTC. However, I’m pretty certain that New York was on his list at the deadline, and I’m sure it is still

Yeah, I thought NYRs were one of the teams that Souray put on his list. I also heard the rumour about the McIlrath thing. All I know is it doesn’t matter in a couple days when he has no say. I hope he goes to the Thrashers or some other shit team.

On Pots, yeah Racki, I think it’s coming down to a numbers thing and where do you put Pots if we have all these guys making the team? I think the guy’s cap hit was $595,000 or something last year. That’s as cheap as they come and he was in our top five forwards (not saying a lot for last year, but still). The sticking point seems to be the one way deal, which we’d clearly need for him now more than ever. I don’t buy the salary argument. 1.5 is still cheap for a guy as versatile as he is, however it’s getting too close to the outer reaches of what you want to pay a 3rd/4th liner.

I agree on Nilsson. If Pots is traded and Nilsson is not bought out, then something ain’t right.

25. MetalOil says:

The Flames just bought out Ales Kotalik.

haha… man. The Flamers are a bit of a lost cause these days. I wonder what is planned there.

MO, looks like they just waived him not bought him out…?

But he will be bought out if he clears, probably.

28. MetalOil says:

oh yeah I miss read spectors tweet.

Cheechoo also waived….. he might be an alright guy to have on 2nd or 3rd RW…

Not that we don’t already have a traffic jam of players to deal with.

Racki: Cheechoo also waived….. he might be an alright guy to have on 2nd or 3rd RW… Not that we don’t already have a traffic jam of players to deal with.

Pass, but maybe they are making him more attractive to trade for sure.

Question: If a team picks up a player on waivers, can they then buy them out? I don’t think so, but not sure. Secondly, if a player is waived and then recalled, then traded and bought out, do both teams have part of that buyout or is the cap hit reduced to the acquiring team? I doubt it, but I’d try all kinds of shinanigans to get rid of that contract.

31. victoriaoilerfan says:

Lets have a serious look at this guy if this article is true.
    Jody Shelley!

I think they will sign him. They still have three days, but yeah, dare to dream!

victoriaoilerfan: Lets have a serious look at this guy if this article is true.Jody Shelley!http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/rangers_will_pay_if_shelley_leaves_tzEOxtIyd1P6SLNMc9FjWJ

Jim Vandermeer also waived by Phoenix today. Any interest in him?

34. neufab says:

chucker: I hope he goes to the Thrashers or some other shit team.

LOL, ain’t karma a bitch.

I wouldn’t mind Oduya and Eager (whom they just got) as Oilers. Goodbye Souray and one of 4 mighty mouse.

I just don’t see Potulny leaving because he was one of the few bright spots on the team last year, unless they keep the guys they can’t get rid of. Yet just because guys like O’Sullivan and Nillson don’t seem to be doing well here doesn’t mean they can’t succeed on a team where all their line-mates aren’t 5’10″.

We needed more scoring so they traded away our defensive forwards, and how many post games did Quinn ask, “where’s the forwards?” We needed puck moving d-men so they went out and stack the d-corp with puck moving d-men creating the absence of a shut down pair. Then they get rid of all the puck moving d-men so now we start over… again!

They sometimes bring in the right guy (Whitney) but give away the wrong guy to get him (Stoll). In spite of my skepticism and bitterness, I think they might actually get it right this time; a balance between skill and muscle!

I vote Horcoff for Smyth!

chucker:
    Pass, but maybe they are making him more attractive to trade for sure.Question:If a team picks up a player on waivers, can they then buy them out?I don’t think so, but not sure.Secondly, if a player is waived and then recalled, then traded and bought out, do both teams have part of that buyout or is the cap hit reduced to the acquiring team?I doubt it, but I’d try all kinds of shinanigans to get rid of that contract.

Hmm, I’d say in your long scenario involving a trade, that the team that he was traded to would pay the buyout cost on the salary that THEY owe (i.e. their half), and that is it.. the other team would still be on a hook for their part and couldn’t get rid of it. But I’m just guessing.

victoriaoilerfan: Lets have a serious look at this guy if this article is true.
    Jody Shelley!

Luke warm on that one… I don’t mind Shelley, but I’m content with Stortini in that role. He gets better year by year and will get better at fighting I think too. This year could be a big year for him, as he’s been busting his ass off in the off-season.

chucker:
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/newsindex.htm#?navid=nav-nws-mainJim Vandermeer also waived by Phoenix today.Any interest in him?

Also mild interest in him. He’d be an improvement over Strudwick (at least on ice), but I don’t think he’d get the job done enough as a defensive d-man. Plus I’ll always remember him for tuning in Marc Pouliot. Total mismatch. But I’ll remember him even more for having his head snapped back several times by Big Mac!

But I will say though that he would add some good toughness on the blueline. But I’d consider him as a last resort. I did once like the guy though (but then he donned that evil jersey..)

neufab:
    LOL, ain’t karma a bitch.I wouldn’t mind Oduya and Eager (whom they just got) as Oilers.Goodbye Souray and one of 4 mighty mouse.I just don’t see Potulny leaving because he was one of the few bright spots on the team last year, unless they keep the guys they can’t get rid of.Yet just because guys like O’Sullivan and Nillson don’t seem to be doing well here doesn’t mean they can’t succeed on a team where all their line-mates aren’t 5’10″.We needed more scoring so they traded away our defensive forwards, and how many post games did Quinn ask, “where’s the forwards?”We needed puck moving d-men so they went out and stack the d-corp with puck moving d-men creating the absence of a shut down pair. Then they get rid of all the puck moving d-men so now we start over… again!They sometimes bring in the right guy (Whitney) but give away the wrong guy to get him (Stoll).In spite of my skepticism and bitterness, I think they might actually get it right this time.I vote Horcoff for Smyth!

Yes, eventually they will figure out how to BALANCE a roster. :P

Yeah, I too am not a fan of the Flames sloppy seconds. Vandermeer used to interest me a lot, I have mild interest in him now, less after Mac destroyed him but he’s an upgrade on Struds, but then again, so is Aaron Johnson.

By the way, is anyone else getting anxious for the buyouts to start? Get on it Tambi. I guess he’s got one more day to try and trade them. I just want some news!!

Flames are buying some guys out, same with the yotes and Sens….All quiet on the Oilers front

39. MetalOil says:

Do all the buyouts in the last hour. Who knows what may come up. The buyouts are coming bank on it!!!!

40. MetalOil says:

Brule has been qualified!!! As per Jason Gregor

Also I forgot where I read it but the Redwings may be interested in the Boogaard. I personally hope he ends up somewhere out east :)

MetalOil: Brule has been qualified!!! As per Jason Gregor

Good stuff. Isn’t he going to file for arbitration or some bullshit?

42. MetalOil says:

chucker:
    Good stuff.Isn’t he going to file for arbitration or some bullshit?
    Yeah that is what I have been hearing. I think there may end up being a last minute deal that avoids arbitration in this case. Just a hunch.

Ditto.. I heard that he would file for arbitration (also per Jason Gregor, if not mistaken).

Olczyk:

Brule, Cogs, JD, DD, Fraser, JFJ, Peckham, Reddox, all qualified, O’Marra offered, Pots no, Pouliot no, Paukovich no. So far. Hard to type and listen.

10 of 16 qualified. Forgot Gagner!! Qualified of course.

MAP, Pots, O’Marra, Paukovick, Hrabel, not qualified missing one here somewhere….

Colin MacDonald not qualified.

EDIT: Brian Lerg not qualified. MacDonald is group IV so no need. O’Marra was a mistake. He doesn’t need to be. One other guy. Gah. Radio!!

47. MetalOil says:

Potulny, and Pouliot were not qualified…..Thank christ Pouliot is gone, however I am a little upset that Potulny will become a UFA.

MetalOil: Both Goalies eh? I guess we will probably go the route of trying to trade one of them.

Or they are thinking about the Khabbi situation….