Stu MacGregor and Steve Tambellini have made their decision…

By , June 22, 2010 8:43 pm

Sorry, no answer as to which player they’re picking, but it’s interesting that MacGregor and Tambellini are on the same page, because I got the feeling from a previous Tambellini interview that he wanted to pick Taylor Hall. But hey, opinions can change, and also one talent of GMs these days is being able to make people think one thing when you’re thinking another..

Per Dan Tencer’s Twitter:

According to MacGregor, the Taylor/Tyler decision has absolutely been made and he and Steve Tambellini are in total agreement.

25 Responses to “Stu MacGregor and Steve Tambellini have made their decision…”

Its gonna be Hall.

2. neufab says:

Just like last year, Duchesne was never going to go #1. If it’s not Hall I will be shocked! It’s win win either way, but as if they won’t pick Hall.

I just got all excited thinking in my head.. “With the #1 pick overall, the Oilers select…. Taylor Hall.”

I can see it now. I still say I’ll be happy either way though. But I just *think* it will be Taylor Hall.

I like Seguin too, but we need a star and an elite sniper, Taylor Hall is just that. I’m tired of hearing the Center excuse for Seguin, HALL IS A NATURAL CENTER. I think they are both going to be great. I think Seguin will be like Toews, and Hall will have the scoring of Phil Kessel (and this kid can score with the best of them) Hall’s stats were better than Tavares in his year before the draft. Hall is gonna be a stud, and a Stamkos type player. Thats what everyone has been saying.

I’d take Toews over Kessel, easily. But I’d take Stamkos over either of those guys. Redline Report’s Kyle Woodlief says the Hall and Glenn Anderson comparisons are pretty realistic though. Innnnteresting. Either way though, both of these guys are going to be great, it would appear. I agree, both are natural centers, so that argument doesn’t hold water. But also don’t forget that Seguin scored 48 goals this year! The only advantage I see is Hall has crazy wheels and uses them well to backcheck as well… and well, to Seguin’s credit there is that whole “no one to play with” and “it’s only his second year” argument. So they both have their good points. I tend to lean a bit slightly towards the guy that’s already proven to be the better player (that’s Hall) over the guy that looks like he’ll project to be the better player. Going with the bird in the hand…

But for the umpteenth time, I’m already happy no matter who they pick.. let’s get a second pick in the 1st round though! It’s those other picks that I’m anxious for.

Racki wrote:

The thing that sawys Hall to me is that he has an unreal shot. Those passes that Horcoff misses on would look nice going to Hall. Seguin is going to be great too. Can’t complain about either of them, but I just want Hall more. As for a 2nd first rounder I really hope we can go out and get one. Can’t wait to see the trades and such. Gonna be a wild and fun ride. I might go to the Bruins draft party with all Oilers stuff on. Hey they invited me!

Taylor Hall.

8. Mr.Majestyk says:

Another vote for Hall.

9. MetalOil says:

The Oilers will come out of the draft with Seguin, Ryder, Colborne & some type of draft pick with Cogs and Souray going the other way. That is my guess now.

10. victoriaoilerfan says:

MetalOil wrote:

I don’t think the B’s can afford Souray, but I wish you were right. Frankly I think dealing withe B’s is over since the Horton trade. The only team we could *temp* may be the Panthers to give us their pick for an offensive player.
    *whispers Hemsky..shhh don’t let Rakki hear this lol.
    Hemsky for their 3rd and their 1st next year.

11. MetalOil says:

Racki I tend to agree with you that we should not trade Hemsky for anything other then the 2nd overall pick or a high quality NHLer (preferably a top shutdown Dman) but I myself would relent on that for the 3rd or maybe even the 4th overall pick (+ more) because it would sure beat losing him for next to nothing in his UFA year. I personally think he is as good as gone unless by some miracle we become a cup contender by the time his contract runs out. If we can’t get an already established shutdown guy by the beginning of the 1st round then Getting Boston’s 2nd overall pick,Gudbranson or Gormley would be worth while in my opinion. It sure beats the alternative and his trade value will only go down from here on out. Really though it depends on Tamby’s assessment on what the chances are for him to sign an extension with us are,

12. victoriaoilerfan says:

Racki wrote:

*evil eye*

Look into my eyes Rakki. You are getting very sleepy and are coming over to the dark side now,just close your eyes and relax.
    Hemsky for Panthers 3rd and next years 1st.
    Grudbranson = future Pronger. Cats next year will get us another top 10er IMO.

13. Mr.Majestyk says:

I really don’t see Florida parting with those picks. They are in just as much of a rebuild as we are at this point.

Yah I still don’t see it as a good idea to give up Hemsky for just as small as the 3rd overall pick. This year’s pick plus next years on a bottom feeder might be good though, given next year has some good prospects. (i.e. what Vic suggested above from Florida… miiiight work, although a bit risky)

victoriaoilerfan wrote:

Racki wrote:

*evil eye*

Hemsky for Panthers 3rd and next years 1st.
    Grudbranson = future Pronger. Cats next year will get us another top 10er IMO.

I think people tend to throw around comparisons like that a bit too loosely. I am not so sure Gudbransson is going to live up to that potential at all. But hey, I definitely wouldn’t mind having him at all. Just him alone doesn’t do it for Hemsky for me. But he addresses a long term need, it sounds like. Although I’ve heard reports that he is kind of a jack of all trades, master of none.

15. dawgtoy says:

The more I think about it, the more I think the Oilers would be better off to start the season with Souray. He has very little value right now. Have a Long conversation with him and tell him in order to facilitate a trade, you need to show up, stay healthy, use that booming shot and play the game. That will make him infinitely more tradable.

I’ll be Steve-O to the punch… “until he gets injured”. :P

17. dawgtoy says:

Either way, he’s worthless.

“One other Oilers note for today: It looks as if there is a strong possibility Nikolai Khabibulin will be ordered to serve some jail time when he goes to court on July 7th for his DUI charge. I do believe (correct me if I am wrong) if he is convicted and sentenced, the Oilers can get out of their contract with him. I hate to say it, but Oilers management might be cheering for the sentencing committee”

Is this true???

18. dawgtoy says:

@ Racki: what I mean is nobody is gonna take that deadweight off our hands, so were stuck starting him next season. Sorry!

Yah, I agree that Souray will be a tough sell. He did fly back to E-town to have his wrist checked out in preparation for a trade (no I don’t mean that there is one on the table).

On Khabi… take a look at our thread here.. read the comments too.. lots of talk about it: http://puttingonthefoil.com/2010/06/re-khabibulin-dui-charges/

It is possible.. but it’s unlikely to happen.

Racki wrote:

It is possible.. but it’s unlikely to happen.

I don’t know. With Wideman gone the B’s really only have Chara for a PP D-man and they were looking for help there. I still think there is a shaft of light there that one can seize. See what I did there?

Souray will be dealt to another team in the East if not. No big deal. He has value and really, only about four teams have made some moves and most of them are not done. The Sabres is another team that will need a guy with the likely loss of Tallinder. Maybe there’s something there? I’m really not worried about him being here at camp.

Signing Boychuk today makes my above point moot for the Bruins me thinks. Oh well. Some other team will be his destination then.

I don’t think Souray has any value…he’s an expensive d-man who has lost a step, is injury prone and has made the entire league known he’s not happy here.

Only trade offers we see for him will be problem for problem trades…much like the one that Friedman mentioned in a past 30 thoughts column where there was the Souray for Ribeiro (spelling?) idea

23. Mr.Majestyk says:

It really wasn’t that long ago that everyone in Edmonton loved Souray. He was one of the few guys on the team that told it like it is and left it all out there on the ice. He had a tough season last year because of injuries, but I still think teams out there would consider him valuable. Heck, we might be extra pissed when he’s gone and starts lighting it up again on someone else’s pp.