Step into my office…

By , June 16, 2010 1:06 pm

...cause your f***ing fired!!!

Robert Daum was notified by the Edmonton Oilers organization last week that his contract as head coach of the then Falcons now Barons will not be renewed.  Comments suggest that he was surprised by the decision and had no indications he would be lining up at the unemployment office.

Coach Daum, was brought in by the Oilers brass to replace Craig Simpson when he departed for an illustrious return to primetime broadcasting.  Daum’s resume was impressive, including a record of 345-79-32 with the University of Alberta Golden Bears, and followed up by 2 seasons coaching the Houston Aeroes (Minnesota affiliate).

Midway through the 2008/2009 season Daum replaced Jeff Truitt as head coach of the Springfield Falcons.  In 110 games at the helm, the baby Oilers were 33-56-21, with the last season’s performance mirroring the parent club in the standings finishing dead last.

Another change within the organization complete with not much word on a replacement as of yet.  Any volunteers?

22 Responses to “Step into my office…”

Btw, there is another good article up on Oilers Nation. This time about Rob Daum’s exit. They interview him about it. They say he took the high road, however there are a few bitter comments in his interview. Like I said before in here somewhere, it irks me that these guys weren’t told ahead of time if they’re being shit-canned… they do have to look for jobs if they’re let go, you know, Tambellini.

“This is a kick in the nuts,” Daum said. “But it’s not going to change my love of coaching or my desire to be a coach. The timing is not good. It’s just not good at all. Every day can make a difference.

“I haven’t been out there since our season ended looking for a job because I didn’t think I had to. You have to be loyal to your team and I was. I wasn’t talking to anybody.”

Brutal.

Absolutely classless…I mean, I don’t really care that they fired him, not that I think he was a bad coach, but I can understand that it’s a new year, a new team, in a new city…clean slate, fresh start…but waiting this long is just fucking brutal.

I’m really starting to get to the point that I really dislike Tambi, I have been on the fence with him for awhile now, and pretty much was waiting to see what he does this offseason to really form my opinion of him…but seeing the way he handles people, and all of his communication issues that go back to pretty much day 1 and have seemed to have got worse instead of better, I’m really coming to the conclusion that I don’t care how good of moves he makes, you don’t treat people and employees with such little class and disrespect.

And it honestly gives a lot more creedence to what Souray has had to say…

Racki: Yah really, it’s strange to hear that from Duam. I didn’t expect it from Tambellini.. I thought he would have been a pretty good communicator, and all this stuff coming out from the coaches, Souray, and MPS’ dad are kind of sending some bad vibes. It’s good that they’ve hired (or will be hiring) the new Assistant GM… one of these guys is going to have to start keeping people in the loop.

6. victoriaoilerfan says:

Bostonoiler: I think Lowe needs to give Tambi a little advice in the communication area of the team. This won’t make the Oilers PR look any better. I wish the best for Daum.

LOL Lowe is the last guy to be giving anyone advice in that department IMO.

7. MetalOil says:

Tamby takes a tough no holds bar approach to employment in the Oilers organization. It is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum to how K Lowe did things. K Lowe was far too loyal to those around him and did not come across as one who could easily fire people and was perhaps too tied in with some of the upper tier people of the management & coaching ranks to do his job properly.

MetalOil: Tamby takes a tough no holds bar approach to employment in the Oilers organization. It is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum to how K Lowe did things. K Lowewas far too loyal to those around him and did not come across as one who could easily fire people and was perhaps too tied in with some of the upper tier people of the management & coaching ranks to do his job properly.
    I guess a few of the puppet strings may still have been intact but their days seem to be almost up!!!Tamby is not here to make friends. He is here to fix this organization and build it into a contender. I am glad to see someone here who sees something wrong and goes out a fixes it. It is a far cry from what this organization has done in the past and I for one like it.

9. MetalOil says:

gr8one:
    What you’re saying is absolutely fine, I have no problem with that, but there is still aright way of doing things and a wrong way, and this Daum thing is totally the wrong way.When you’re talking about peoples livelihoods and their ability to take care of their families, at the very least, you owe them a fast decision so they can start looking to replace their income ASAP.I don’t necessarily have issues with the decisions Tambi makes, but with the amount of time he takes to make them, and how he goes about implementing them. It’s absolutely horrible.

Yeah but this is a business and this is one of those hard parts about it. We do not know all the details and all of the stuff that is going on behind the scenes. Tamby did say he was going to evaluate every aspect of the organization so this should not have come as a surprise to Daum. Remember that Daum’s contract simply ran out, he was not fired. Maybe Tamby had a few candidates for the job down in OKC with Daum being one of the stronger candidates to land it and he just recently got beat out by a guy who has yet to be announced(possibly working out the final details of a contract). Would Daum have preferred to have been fired early on and taken his name out of the running? I like Daum but have no problem with how this was handled since he was never fired. If my contract were running out I would have been exploring other options knowing the unemployment line was a real possibility. I am sure that Rob would have been bringing up contract extension conversations with Tamby and been able to get a good read on where he stood.

10. Mr.Majestyk says:

chucker: I agree with both of you. It seems Tambellini is a little too hush hush on what he wants to do.Fire the guy at the end of the year so he can look for work. Like Matheson said, this is a working man who is not like the multi-million dollar coaches who can take a year or two off. I’m betting he would have loved to apply for the Oil Kings job and many others that are now dried up.Completley classless. Now we have Bucky and Fleming waiting to hear their fates. Letting them go now will be another black eye on how we now operate. Say what you will about Lowe, but he was credited with running a very player and employee friendly company and made decisions the right way, even if they were the wrong decisions at times.Also, where the fuck is Katz in all this? Saying some words of vision and encouragement to your fanbase is long overdue. I used to hate how Terry Jones ranted about this lack of access to the owner, but now I am thinking he has it right. This team needs to have the confidence of the fans and having pressers is a huge part of that.I’m really starting to understand why Tambi was passed over so many times in Vancouver. He’s likely a great assistant type, but not the guy for the big job. Granted he has a tonne of stuff on his plate, but come on, get some help and do some pressers.

Re Katz: He’s very accessible. I was talking to him just the other day and he said “MacTavish is going nowhere” :)

Good points made by everyone, but I’m not going to jump on the Tambi hate-wagon just yet. Tambi isn’t beyond criticism but Metal&Oil hit the nail on the head with his point concerning Daum. If I was in Daum’s position I would have looked for work and assumed nothing, especially the way they have been cleaning house. If I had a possible job opportunity elsewhere I would have contacted the Oilers to let them know basically if you want me let me know otherwise I’m taking another job.

Well Mr. M, and Metal Oil…

Daum was still under contract with the Oilers, so in order for him to talk to other teams, he’d need Oilers permission. I don’t want to say for certain, but I could have sworn I read something a few weeks ago in which Daum or one of the other coaches said they were denied the right to talk to other teams.

In addition, Daum was given the feeling that he was doing things well in Springfield, and naturally he thought he would just be part of the plans in Oklahoma. I see where you guys are getting at, but I think it’s just another kick in the junk to the Oilers organization’s reputation when your manager is taking criticism from multiple sources saying that he isn’t keeping them up to date on their own statuses.

Well that definitely is all I need to hear… if it’s Eklund Twatwaffle, it must be true!

I know you’re prefacing it with the “grain of salt” stuff.. but seriously, why even care what he says anymore? How many times does he have to be proven to be making shit up?

You knew this was going to happen, B.O…. :P

Bostonoiler: Ok, now please please please don’t hurt, but my friend pointed out a hockeybuzz article today about Spezza being an Oiler. Ek said (TAKE IT WITH A LARGE GRAIN OF SALT) that Spezza would welcome going to Edmonton and the asking price is Cogliano or Gagner, 2 prospects (hopefully Nash and Omark) a 3rd rounder and a 4th rounder

Why must you hurt me with this? Seriously. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stfBPzmHm70

15. Mr.Majestyk says:

Haha, nice link chucker. Uncle Boston, lets hold off on the Eklund Twatwaffle rumours atleast till July 1 when he’ll have every available FA heading possibly heading to the Oilers.

At this point, I consider myself more of an NHL/Oilers insider than Eklund Twatwaffle. People should take my hockey rumours more seriously than Eklund Twatwaffle.

16. dawgtoy says:

gr8one:

Fully agree with you gr8. The Oil are completely in need of a rebuild, but this must also include how this team does it’s business both on and off the ice. Yes, the Oil are first and foremost a business, but running this organization using 80’s management tactics is just plain ridiculous. Tamby can do his job without insulting and demoralizing those he feels aren’t making the grade, and in need of replacement. The Oil must strive to bring professionalism back to this once great organization, until then free agents will never come here.

17. John says:

First of all, are we sure this was a Tambellini decision, you would think situations like this would fall to Hockey Operations as opposed to management? This reeks of KLowe to me. Maybe Tambi was the message boy because of his lack of personality & feelings. I haven’t decided how I feel about Tambi’s ability to lead this organisation yet but one thing is certain; we are entering the most important 2 years in this franchise’s recent history so if he gets it wrong we are truly fucked!!!

Next in line in the “am I getting let go?” hot seat, Buchy and Fleming.

Racki: I don’t think anyone is really questioning the firing too much though John. It’s more how it was done. And yes, I’m pretty sure that role falls on Tambellini. I know a lot of people want to pin the blame on Lowe for everything that doesn’t go right, but I think it’s not plainly obviously that Tambellini is running the show. Lowe apparently only offers advice if Tambellini asks for it.Anyways, as I was saying, the real beef people have is with HOW it was done. Daum’s been good for us here, so it would have been nice if they gave him a heads up of what might be going on. It could have been a last minute decision though, but I kind of doubt that. Next in line in the “am I getting let go?” hot seat, Buchy and Fleming.

Two guys who really should not have been here in the first place, ran most of the special teams that sucked and are now awaiting renewal/re-assignment. I don’t think it looks good for either of them to be honest, but I guess this is what happens when you don’t call your two head coaches at the end of the year because you are “giving them space to think and evaluate”.

Bucky, if not a coach, will be offered a job in the organization doing something else. Maybe heading up the new training regime etc? Flemming, I don’t know what the hell they are gonna do with.

Here’s the question: “Are these guys part of the problems from last season and were they ineffective and need to be let go or are they worth keeping based on the results?”

It’ll look superbad if they fire them this late, but it won’t surprise me if they do.

Mr.Majestyk: Haha, nice link chucker. Uncle Boston, lets hold off on the Eklund Twatwaffle Twatwaffle rumours atleast till July 1 when he’ll have every available FA heading possibly heading to the Oilers.At this point, I consider myself more of an NHL/Oilers insider than Eklund Twatwaffle Twatwaffle. People should take my hockey rumours more seriously than Eklund Twatwaffle Twatwaffle.M5(means It’s pretty much guaranteed)- Oilers will be selecting Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin with the first selection.

I almost didn’t even bother opening the link (I got it on facebook lmao) to read it, but I was bored at school this afternoon so I opened it and read it. I figured I’d throw it up there to be discussed even though the odds of it going down are slim to none. I don’t get why we would give up an NHL ready prospect…you know they will want Eberle or Svensson, so why bother. Just stick with the rebuild please and thank you.

I think your dead on with your draft rumor lmao

Good read on Anton Lander:

Looks like the Oilers wanted to bring him over, but he wasn’t ready. He is coming to the rookie camp or whatever its called so thats a good sign. I hope we see this kid soon, I feel hes gonna be good at the NHL level.

Yah I read that earlier today too…

I will say that this didn’t come as any surprise. MPS was interviewed by Tencer about Lander a while ago. For one, he has a contract with Timra still and wants to honor that. But MPS pretty much gave the “he isn’t coming here this year” vibe during the interview. I don’t think Lander has anything against Edmonton, but he just isn’t ready to play in N.A. just yet (and well, that would likely have been in the AHL).