Racki’s Randoms

By , June 9, 2010 10:20 am

There’s been a bit of talk going on back in forth, mostly in the general discussion area, but also in a couple other posts… so I figured I’d sum things up for those who haven’t been following. Oh and as a reminder (thanks to the picture above), Father’s Day is next weekend (June 20th). Here’s a few random topics being discussed in Oilerland these days…

Jason Spezza

I like Spezza as much as the next guy, and I definitely would like to see him here, but it depends on the cost. If Penner is moved in the deal, I don’t think that’s a smart choice. Penner is a two-way player who has put up good numbers on a poor team, and has a good contract. Who thought a year or two ago that I would be saying that today? If we can move Horcoff in a deal for Spezza I would be surprised, but without a doubt, we should jump on that while we can. You have to wonder why Brian Murray would do it, but perhaps if we enticed him with Cogliano and another player it might work.

I would tend to agree with Elliotte Friedman though in that Columbus is likely a better match for the Senators here, which leads me to my next point…

Columbus’ #4 Overall Pick

I am really hoping that Tambellini is doing his all to try and get this pick from Scott Howson, especially if we manage to hang on to our 2nd rounder. Could you imagine selecting the best forward in the draft (Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin), the best defenseman in the bunch (Erik Gudbranson) and then the best goaltender in the bunch (Jack Campbell)? Pretty unlikely, and I am definitely dreaming here. I have my doubts that this has ever happened before, and I can’t see it happening this year either, but a guy can dream.

Anyways, what are the needs for the Jackets? Elliotte Friedman mentions the need for a center to play with Rick Nash (citing Jason Spezza as the obvious fit). Scott Cullen of TSN cites Ottawa’s needs as two top nine forwards and a top pairing defenseman. Well, lo and behold, we have top nine forwards in bulk as well as a top pairing defenseman available in Sheldon Souray. So it’s not out of the realm of possibility that Howson and the Oilers would be dance partners yet again.

But I’ll throw another idea out there.. what about a 3-way trade involving the pick going to the Oilers, and Spezza to Columbus with some of the Oilers talent headed Ottawa’s way? I’ll leave it up to you folks to suggest who we can move in a 3-way deal.

Dylan McIlrath

I’ve taken a liking to this kid and have bought into the hype. I highly suggest checking out some of his fights. He’s been dubbed the most feared player in the WHL, and at the young age of 17 to boot (he is 18 now though). But is he just a goon or can he back it up with some on ice play?

That really is the question, but it would appear that he’s got a good defensive skillset. The offensive ability probably isn’t the most feared in the WHL, but as Guy Flaming at the Pipeline Show cites, since Travis Hamonic was traded from the Warriors to Brandon, McIlrath was given a bigger offensive role. He handled it pretty well, and ended up with 24 points on the season, with 7 of those being goals. Not too bad for a guy most would consider a bruising defenseman.

I wonder though if Jim Vandermeer might be a good comparison point for this kid. Not trying to take anything away from McIlrath, but should we use our 2nd rounder on this kid if he is available? I’d take a chance on him, myself. We need guys that are bloody hard to play against… guys that have no issues putting opposing forwards in the hurt locker. If he can play a decent game of defense, I’d say make it happen with our round 2 pick if he’s still available.

Here’s a couple more links for required reading on McIlrath:
The Scouting Report.org
Hockey Prospect.com
NHL.com prospect page

Here are the quotes on NHL.com:

Director of NHL Central Scouting, E.J. McGuire
“Big and mean, old-time typical NHL defenseman. He scares people not only with some frequent fights he might get in, but with 6-4, 212 lbs. straight ahead speed and offensive ability to match. Often, and in a very complimentary sense, makes puck carriers cut to the other side of the ice with his intimidating size.”

Moose Jaw Warriors head coach Dave Hunchak
“An old school defensemen who plays hard and very physical. A great deal of untapped potential that can be used in shut down situations as well as on the offensive side of the puck.”

Moose Jaw Warriors radio broadcaster James Gallo
“17-year-old Dylan Mcilrath’s large frame casts a shadow that many NHL scouts and opposing teams have taken notice of. His strong defense and punishing physical play has turned him into a fan favourite at the Civic Center.”

Stick A Fork In Him….

Kirill Kabanov can likely kiss his hockey career goodbye. That is a pretty extreme statement, and I wouldn’t say it is necessarily true, but he’s going to have to work his ass off to prove himself. He’s a man without a country now and Karma has laid a severe ass kicking on this kid. His story is a long one, and I’d suggest reading about it on Wikipedia or elsewhere. But the latest dirt on Kabanov is that amiable agent J.P. Barry has dropped Kabanov – he will no longer be representing Kabanov.

This is awful news for this kid, who had a long enough history of controversy. He can’t go back to the KHL, and he’s a big risk for any NHL team. Who will take him now? He plays the RW, and is Russian, and will slide pretty far in the draft… is it maybe worth Washington taking a shot on him? Who wouldn’t jump at the opportunity to feed Ovechkin passes?

At any rate, count me out as a supporter of taking Kabanov with the Oilers’ 2nd rounder. Too much drama and risk there.

Riley Nash

A few of you folks in the Oilogosphere have a huge crush on Nash. I can understand that. I haven’t seen him play yet, but word is he has a gigantic hockey-brain. He has garnered a bit of attention here and there with Oilers fans for his choice to return to Cornell next year. The belief by quite a few is that he has no intention of ever playing for the Oilers.

The good news is though, he has value around the league. Guy Flaming over at The Pipeline Show spoke about his value to other GM’s in the league. Apparently the Bruins and Oilers had once talked about a trade involving Riley Nash (which the Oilers turned down) which would have sent big RWer Mikko Lehtonen to the Oilers. Guy Flaming also noted that a current Montreal Canadiens scout also expressed that he was interested in Riley Nash in his draft year.

It would be disappointing to see a potentially talented centreman go, but if he really won’t be suiting up for the Oilers, let’s see what we can get for him. Perhaps we can take him and our 2nd rounder and get another good 1st round pick.

Time To Flip Some Assets

Shawn Horcoff, Robert Nilsson, Patrick O’Sullivan, Ethan Moreau, Sheldon Souray, Riley Nash (see reasons above…), Andrew Cogliano (regretfully), Mike Comrie’s negotiating rights, Marc Pouliot, Jeff Deslauriers (if Khabibulin will be ready for the start of the season)… these are a few of the names of players I would be sure that teams around the league know about. Trade them for picks, reclamation projects, high contracts… whatever it takes. We can deal from a position of strength (too many forwards) to help acquire some of the defensive help I feel we need, and help solidify our future.

I think the biggest hitter that doesn’t get much respect in Oilerland will be Andrew Cogliano. He’s got value around the league, I’m sure.

80 Responses to “Racki’s Randoms”

1. NorwegianOiler says:

I like these summary posts!

First of all, I’d like to say that I’m *not* as much of a Spezza fan as the next guy. I do enjoy watching him play, every now and then, but on a team that is not the Oilers, for the following reasons: He’s from what I can see not a ‘winner’ (if there is such a quality) – based on his ability to control important games, his battle level and consistency; He is not good enough defensively to cover himself when he’s not producing; His contract is too steep; He does not seem to lead. So, even though his skills (as far as passing, shooting, etc) goes, I think he’s an asset, but his mental abilities do not match that. I don’t think he will pull this team according to his contract. At the very least, I would not give up anything of value for him.

I personally don’t see good enough reasons for any of the top 5 drafters to move their picks, if only because it is not a particularly frequent occurrence – that includes the 4th overall. The Jackets don’t seem like a team that would pass up the chance to secure a franchise defenseman to bring them forward.

As far as Gudbranson goes, he does seem like a quality player. But from his offensive numbers in juniors, I would wonder if he would turn out as a Pronger without the offense. Not that such a career would be bad. Keaton Ellerby comparisons maybe?

I think the chance to add another pick in the 20th to 30th overall range would be much more likely, but still not something I’d foresee happening. In any case, shedding some guys without taking on too many anchor contracts in the process would be nice.

Looking very much forward to draft day!

2. MetalOil says:

A three way deal between Edmonton-Columbus-Ottawa would be interesting. I think it would be unlikely for us to move up to the 4th pick but we do have many options and I could see us being very active on the trade front. I too am a fan of Dylan McIlrath. I think he will go anywhere between 10th and 20th overall and I would push hard to move up to select him.

we could do a multiple pick swap with Boston(1 & 31 for 2 & 15) then even flip that 15th overall with one of our smallish skilled players or the 15th pick with Souray for a pick and player package to move up to around 10th overall if need be and select McIlrath or another highly touted D man.

Ether way we have plenty of draft day options and it would not be all that hard to select one of the top ranked D men in the first round. I expect us to be very active on draft day. We have the assets to make a few things happen!!!

Also here is some news on Khabby’s DUI case:

His lawyer is arguing that the field sobriety tests should not have any merit since Khabby was coming off of back surgery therefor giving him no chance of passing tests that required him to stand on one leg and preform other physical tasks that he was not able preform due to the surgery.

NorweiganOiler: Not that it is necessarily true, but I forgot to mention above that the availability of Columbus’ 4th round pick has been spreading… CBC’s Elliotte Friedman mentioned it here, so I’d say it does have legs. And those are definitely good points about Spezza.

MetalOil: McIlrath is projected somewhere in the mid to late 20s, so I think we even have a shot at him with our 2nd rounder. Not too likely though on that. But perhaps we could flip our 2nd rounder with one of the teams in the bottom end of the draft that doesn’t need their pick.

And odd about Khabi, didn’t he take a breathalizer?? I thought he did.. or did he refuse? I can’t remember.

more detail in regards to Khabibulin here.

i think what the lawyer is is arguing is that if the arrest was based on the field sobriety tests (which lead to blood and the breathalyzer tests) then it shouldn’t be allowed…or some such jazz.

now thinking about it, dude has a good post up about spezza as well

6. MetalOil says:

Looking at the mock drafts on the Oilers site and McIlrath is all over the board in the first round. One even has him as high as 11th, one has him at 25th & the other 3 mock drafts have him going to the Ducks at 16( of note is that these last 3 mock drafts were done before the playoffs started and still have the Ducks drafting 16th overall in the 1st rounder they received from Philly in the Pronger trade which is now slotted to be the 29th or 30th pick since the Flyers are in the cup finals. The consensus must have the Ducks high on McIlrath).

So it is tough to predict how high he will go. If we can get that 15th pick from Boston(This is my fav option!!!) then we should be able to grab him. I will admit that I do not know too much about McIlrath but from what I am reading he seems to be a big bodied, shut down D man who also can hit the score sheet and can fight. Seems like a complete package D man to me and something too good to pass on with a mid 1st round pick.

As for Khabby he probably first did a field sobriety test and then once he failed this he was probably given a breathalizer which he also failed.

7. Puritania says:

Couple things I’d like to see at the draft. Of course number one for me is moving up enough to grab Gudbranson, will it happen? I hope so but I doubt it. Alternatively, I would like to see us trade Riley Nash and the 31st to Boston for their 15th and select McIlrath. (On a side note I have seen McIlrath go anywhere from 10th to 35th in a bunch of different mock drafts so your guess is as good as mine as to when he will go).
    after we grab McIlrath I would love to see us move up maybe to around the 35th pick from our 48th (Nashville) and grab Brad Ross. I’m not sure that he will be there at #48 if we wait. He is a good Edmonton boy and is a type of player we have been missing. Here is a TSR quote I think sums him up nicely.

“Ross will likely be one of the biggest fan favourite prospects this season as he’s one of those pesty players that also has some offensive upside to his game. Ross is regarded as one of the most hated players in the WHL, playing an in your face physical game where he’s not afraid to chirp and get players off their games. Ross’ ability to do this as well as put pucks in the net should cement his status as a Top 60 prospect, who could even go a lot higher than #50. Last year nobody was expecting the Kings to snatch Kyle Clifford at #35, and a player like Ross could contend for a spot like that as well this season.”

Thought I’d also point out Lowtides most recent post. I’m with him 100%, if this were to be an option I say go for it with gusto.

8. MetalOil says:

I have a feeling that McIlrath will be not be available at 15th overall because 3 of the mock drafts on the the Oilers site have him going to the Ducks at the 16th pick(a position they no longer hold since this pick is from philly(Pronger trade) who now pick 29th or 30th overall). The ducks do however still have their own pick at 12th overall and I think they will target him for this reason.

9. Puritania says:

MetalOil: McIlrath sounds a lot like Smid who really gelled with Lubes when he was here and the ducks may be looking hard to find someone comparable to Smid for their team to be Lubes’s partner. This is why I think that should we acquire that 15th overall pick from the the Bruins that we should flip it along with one of our smaller roster players and move up even further.

That doesn’t sound like a bad idea to me, I get the feeling he could go higher than 15th as well, If we actually try for Dylan only for him to be taken before 15th I would be pissed.

I’m still a bit unsure that he’s as good as people say he is, but only because I haven’t really seen it with my own eyes. However I can see we really need a guy like him, so I hope we do manage to draft him.

Anyways, Puritania, I was on the Zach Kassian bandwagon last year too (until the miracle happened – MPS still being available at 10). I would like to see him in an Oilers uni. Maybe this is a case where Cogliano and a bit gets the job done?

11. MetalOil says:

I am sure the Oilers brass have quite a bit of info on Dylan since he is in the WHL. I am pretty sure they know if he is the real deal or not. I wonder if they ever ask the Oil King guys for info/opinions on certain WHL prospects? I am sure they do and I guess that is one of the spin off benefits of owning a JR team.

12. Puritania says:

@Racki – As much as I like Cogs I would do that deal in a heartbeat.

Cogliano + Rajala for Kassian?

Just read an article over on Oilers Nation about Stortini. Apparently he has been working hard with Steve Serdachny to improve himself as a player. Areas of focus being his skating and working with the puck in tight areas.

I’ve always supported and really liked Stortini. He’s always received rave review from coaches at all levels for his ability and desire to learn. I think one day he could become a Chris Neil type of player if he puts a lot of effort into it. He might one day become a regular on line 3 (rather than line 4) and get some more minutes, giving him more offensive opportunity. I think he doesn’t get enough credit for his defensive reliability as well.

Anyways, good to hear him working hard in the off-season.

This might come as a duh to some people, but the Oilers are officially trying to trade Shawn Horcoff according to the Ottawa Sun:

15. MetalOil says:

Ehhhh Pat it is good to hear from you again(Quinn on OTR)

Looks like rumors of a pick swap with the B’s has some meat behind it!!!

TSN:http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=324103

MetalOil: Ehhhh Pat it is good to hear from you again(Quinn on OTR)http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=324121Looks like rumors of a pick swap with the B’s has some meat behind it!!!

You can tell Quinn want Taylor Hall picked by the Oilers. Quinn would love coaching this kid.

zackman35: Well, as for Rob Blake, he has hung up the skates (as per TSN). I will always remember him in Avalanche silks. I would love to see Souray and or Horcs in a Sens Uni next fall and Spezza in an Oilers Uni…
    TSN:http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=324103I haven’t read the above posts yet because I’m watching a game where a special visitor may come tonight. I really am not sure what CBJ has to offer though besides their top 5 Pick. Even if it is #4, what do the Jackets have to offer for a “franchise” type player? Nash, Mason, Vermette (No one else really stands out right now). The deal would only become lucrative if they put in Nash but otherwise I’m not too sure Ottawa would bite, not for Spezza. Why didn’t we go after Vermette again?

To me, I’ll remember Blake as a King.. was there for quite a while. As far as CBJ’s #4 pick and Ottawa wanting more than just that for Spezza, again maybe that’s where Edmonton could come in? We get the #4 pick, CBJ gets Spezza, and Ottawa gets Cogliano and one or two other players, and maybe even a lesser player from CBJ..?

19. Mr.Majestyk says:

I think it would be a steal if we trade Horcoff for Spezza…heck, I’d trade Penner. He’s as good or better than Hemsky. And when you watch our Oilers play, its clear that Hemsky’s skill level is head and shoulders above the rest. I understand that he’s not considered a ‘winner’ or playoff performer, but he’s still young enough that I could see him continuing to develop. I do like winners though.

Again, I do like Spezza, but I say no to Penner for Spezza. Penner is much more of a complete player. I would definitely say without hesitation that Spezza is the better offensively talented player, but I have to go with Penner here just based on him being able to put up great numbers on this horrid team, as well as be a plus player in a time when pretty much everyone on the team was going into the red.

Horcoff does seem pretty unrealistic, unless we’re talking about a bigger trade in which we take a bad contract back, but I guess people are saying that Horcoff is a player the Sens like and have asked about before. I can’t confirm that though, so take that with a grain of salt (I think it was BostonOiler that mentioned it).

Anyways, Cogliano would help bump trade value on the Oiler side… is Souray a fit there? What about one of our young small prospects like Omark or Rajala?

Would you Oil fans be fine to see Horcoff + Cogliano + Smid for Spezza? (note, I’m pretty against seeing Smid traded, just wondering what people think)

This is gonna be a great ending for the Flyers game.

22. Mr.Majestyk says:

Racki, you mentioned in your earlier post how strange it is not wanting to trade Penner since a couple years ago he was being packaged up to anywhere for a bag of pucks. What a difference a year makes. I do like Penner, and I had faith that he could turn things around. I remember making trade ideas with my nephew the Sharks fan, and he had no interest in Penner because of course ‘he sucked’ but I just had the feeling that if he was in a winning environment(like he had in Anaheim)he’d find his game again. Last year was quite a surprise that he had such a stellar year even while we were brutal for the entire season.

With all that said, I’d still trade him for Spezza because of the offensive upside. Draft Hall and you could have a stellar top line. Heck, Edmonton might have its own Pizza Line.

I just took a peek at Spezza’s numbers compared to Hemsky. They are a pretty good comparison. Same age, only seperated by 20 NHL games since they came into the league. Spezza has better offensive numbers, but how much of that can be attributed to playing in Ottawa? They get to play the Leafs.

I guess here’s how I see it.

Pros – we likely gain some offensive ability by having Spezza, as well as we have an undisputable #1C finally.
    Cons – we lose some defensive ability in Penner (along with whatever other player(s) we lose). We lose almost $3M in cap space. We really don’t know if Spezza is going to gel here.

I’ve always been of the mind “a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush”. Penner provides pretty good offense as is. Spezza has the ability to put up BIG numbers. Can he do it here? How much of what he did in Ottawa was helped along by playing with Alfredsson and Heatley (until this year of course)?

I think I’m always a bit nervous taking a player that really works here and trading him for someone who might work a bit better, because there’s still that possibility that he really WON’T work out here any better (or worse yet, might be a downgrade).

I think it’s very unlikely that Spezza will be a downgrade on the scoresheet, but will his additional offense make up for the (likely) downgrade at the other end of the rink? That’s what it boils down to, for me. It’s a risk vs. reward thing.

Oh, and I’ve made my Penner jokes in the past (mostly sarcastic, directed more a people making the jokes), but I had given Penner benefit of the doubt in the past as well too. ;)

Wow, while typing that novel, the Hawks won it.. I’m not even sure what happened there….

edit: replay shows it was a shot from the corner that somehow beat Leighton underneath and got stuck in the opposite corner of the net

25. Mr.Majestyk says:

what a fail by Hughson in the broadcast booth. When they look back at this final, when everyone re-lives the OT magic, it will just be Jim Hughson sounding confuzzled.

Hahah Mr. M.. too true.. talk about the most anti-climatic ending to a Stanley Cup Final yet.

5 minutes later, they realize the puck is in the net.. yikes..

And now Bettman speaks about how awesome the Hawks win was after 49 years, to a bunch of fans who couldn’t give two shits. Always sucks when a cup is won on the opponent’s ice… although I’m pretty sure the Hawks don’t care at all.

I;m just waiting for someone to biff it with the cup on the red carpet.

That has to be the wierdest ending ever, for a few sec’s I thought they were going to video review…

Congrats Hawks! My dad is pretty happy right now, he remembers the last Hawk cup, he’s been waiting a long time since then.

29. MetalOil says:

Ohhhhhhhh was that a goal????????????

Congrats Blackhawks!!!!!!!! Well deserved!!!!!!!!!

30. Puritania says:

Ahhh man that was nice to see the Hawks win, even with the wonky end. First time since before ’06 a team I like has won the cup, bout effin time. I almost got a little misty eyed when they talked to Sopel, I was never a big Sopel fan but it was really nice to see a hardworkin’ guy like him who almost had nowhere to play get to hoist the cup. I’m sure it was really special for him, for all of them of course but to go from not knowing if you will play in the NHL again to getting a ring is pretty great.

Congrats Hawks!! Eat a dick Pronger!!!!

MetalOil: Ohhhhhhhh was that a goal????????????
    The TML now officially have the longest SC drought. Better get on er Burkey LOL.Congrats Blackhawks!!!!!!!! Well deserved!!!!!!!!!

I think, technically the St. Louis Blues and Los Angeles Kings (came into the league right after the Leafs’ last cup win, for the ’67-’68 season) are also tied for that same drought. I guess you could say that at least the Leafs won a cup. But that’s a hell of a losing streak to maintain. Way to go Leafs!

32. MetalOil says:

Wow on sportsnet they just showed Kane’s goal followed by Crosby’s Gold medal winning goal and they are both remarkably similar.

33. MetalOil says:

Racki:

If the Kings can sign Kovalchuck this summer then I think they will be hoisting the cup at the end of next season.

Never to early to make SC predictions :)

34. MetalOil says:

Steve Tambellini on NHL Live right now.

Here is a quick summary
    -expects to be busy on draft day.
    -will try and move Souray on draft day.
    -need to bolster the D.
    -wants to add size to the forward crops.

35. MetalOil says:

MetalOil: Steve Tambellini on NHL Live right now.Here is a quick summary
    -expects to be busy on draft day.
    -will try and move Souray on draft day.
    -need to bolster the D.
    -wants to add size to the forward crops.

Exactly what I wanted to hear… gold star, Steve.

37. Dawgtoy says:

Here’s hoping that busy on draft day is an understatement.

MetalOil: Taylor Hall is in Edmonton today paying a visit to the Oilers and will be talking with reporters later on in the afternoon.http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/edmonton-oilers/Taylor+Hall+pays+visit+Edmonton/3137183/story.htmlDavid Staples also has a follow up to this story on his blog going into detail on if Tamby will make the ultimate call of if he will leave it in the hands on Stu M.

I’m wondering, which idiot fans actually suggested we give up Hemsky, Penner, Eberle and MPS to get the 2nd and 3rd overall picks? Some fans are downright stupid.

Tambellini laughed when asked what he thought of the fans who fervently want him to try to get the first, second and third overall picks on June 25, presumably by moving big names (Ales Hemsky, Dustin Penner) and his best prospects (Paajarvi-Svensson and Eberle).

Dawgtoy: Here’s hoping that busy on draft day is an understatement.

Yup, for sure.. I want to see several of these guys named in trades within sometime before July 1st, I’d say:
    Nilsson, O’Sullivan, Moreau, Souray, Horcoff (although unlikely, and I’d still be fine with him staying), Pisani (although fine if we get nothing for him and he goes UFA), Marc Pouliot, to name a few names.

40. MetalOil says:

Racki:

Which brings up the annual buyout period which begins on Tuesday and ends on June 27th(day after the 2nd day of the draft) I think the best option is to wait until that final day of the buyout period because who knows what players in that group we may be able to trade. Most of these player do hold some value and could be used as upgrades to potential trades.

Good point.. completely forgot about the buyouts! Best target in my eyes for a buyout: Robert Nilsson.

42. MetalOil says:

I am gonna say that Ethan Moreau is the most likely to be bought out. In the end I think we will buyout 2 contracts and try to trade the rest.

However I would not be opposed to giving MAP a one year contract at or around his current salary(RFA with arbitration) to allow us one more look at him as I thought he looked pretty decent in the few games he played last year although their just simply may not be enough room on the roster for us to slot him into a position where we could properly gauge his potential going forward.

I should clarify, best target and most likely are two different things :P I carefully phrased it. Nilsson is the best target because we gain a small amount of cap money in the first year and the 2nd year isn’t bad at all.

Nilsson buyout:

ROBERT NILSSON BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
    2010-2011: $-83,333
    2011-2012: $416,667

Ethan Moreau:

ETHAN MOREAU BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
    2010-2011: $833,333
    2011-2012: $583,333

Moreau definitely should be a guy that should be traded, and if not traded, bought out. As for Nilsson, I could stand to see him back, but I’d prefer he were traded (and just saying that there aren’t any better buyout numbers than Nilsson’s).

As far as Pouliot… seen enough of him.. disappears from time to time like many of the other smaller guys and his upside is pretty miniscule from what I’ve seen. He’s lost his job to Brule and Potulny, in my humble opinion. Definitely wouldn’t miss him. Hell, he’s even lost it to Liam Reddox, in my opinion.

44. MetalOil says:

ah one of those negative cap hit buyouts. that changes my opinion a quiet a bit :)

MetalOil: Yah I would think that if we tried sending him down he would be claimed, but yah never know… better players have passed waivers. And well, that’s a step above a buyout anyways, even if he were claimed.

But yah, the negative buyout is appealing! Although at the same time, I suppose cap space isn’t such an issue to us these days.

46. Dawgtoy says:

I would have no problem with certain Oilers being bought out, but I’m not sure if Sully or Nilsson would fit that category for me. Nilsson has skills, and maybe playing along with fellow country-man MPS and eventually Lander will inspire him. Sully hopefully can be packaged, he also can play, but likely needs to be a top 6 forward somewhere where he can get the minutes. Our entire team stunk up the place last year, and it’s difficult to lay so much blame on them. I guess the point I’m trying to make is if one could possibly have a bit of a bounce back year, then they might have some trade value or packability. IMHO paying them for nothing is silly, especially on a really bad rebuilding team.
    But as for Moreau…just do it!

Good point Dawgtoy, and I’m not really saying to buy out Nilsson, necessarily.. I’ve also thought about him playing with MPS as well as Omark. I would think that both those guys have value too in a trade. I personally would like to see as many of those guys I listed moved for picks though, if possible. I like Nilsson, but I could stand to see him moved for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, if that is at all possible. As for O’Sullivan.. I always liked him, but he just doesn’t work here, so they should move him, however they can. He’ll have value in a trade though, I would think.

Dawgtoy: I think O’Sullivan should be bought out. I mean without doube offer him up at the draft, see if anyone bites, and if someone does then hell trade him for what you can get. However if no one wants him then you have to buy him out. O’Sullivan was the worst player in the NHL when it came to +/- this season, not only that but he looked very uninspired all season long, like he simply did not care. We need room and cap space for younger players, and the holes on defense. Sorry but Sully needs to go. As for Nilsson, well hes got one year left on the deal just like Sully, the big difference between them is that we have seen some skill and flash out of Bobby. I hope we DO NOT buy him out. If we can trade him for a like a 2nd or 3rd round pick or maybe package him up for a 1st(which I highly doubt happens) then make the deal, but I think Omark and MPS might just help him play better in the NHL like you said…..So I agree with you on Nilsson, but disagree with you on O’Sullivan

MetalOil: ah one of those negative cap hit buyouts. that changes my opinion a quiet a bit Maybe although fairly unlikely we could get MAP on a 2 way and have him as depth with him being a True AHL player. Probably not something he would go but I would also have no problems just letting him walk ether.

To be honest with you I would offer up Pouliot to the Penguins on draft day. Offer his RFA rights to them for a 5th or 6th round pick….Why? Remember he TORE it up with Crosby in jr’s and is still friends with him, and if Sid tells you to trade your 5th rounder for MAP, hell you do it. I think Tambi would be nuts to not make an offer to Pittsburgh for him. If not, offer him the two way like you said, I could care less if he walks away.

Racki: I think, technically the St. Louis Blues and Los Angeles Kings (came into the league right after the Leafs’ last cup win, for the ‘67-’68 season) are also tied for that same drought. I guess you could say that at least the Leafs won a cup. But that’s a hell of a losing streak to maintain. Way to go Leafs!

At least the Kings are going to be very good for a number of years. Leafs will be trash if they keep dealing thei picks away.