O’Sullivan traded for Vandermeer

By , June 30, 2010 12:13 pm

As per TSN site:

The Edmonton Oilers continue to pare down their payroll for July 1, as the club has dealt forward Patrick O’Sullivan to the Phoenix Coyotes for defenceman Jim Vandermeer.

I like this deal. I didn’t mind O’Sullivan, and it looks like his buyout is still going on, but Vandermeer is a serviceable d-man who has experience and is tough. Plus he makes 600k less. He will make it so that our younger D have more time in the AHL to get experience.

I like it. As Lowetide says, we just got an actual NHL’er.

Update: As i just read in the comments, Moreau has just been claimed by Columbus (details here) and cause I’ve just been perusing TSN, McKenzie says that Souray could be headed to St. Louis with Brewer coming back (details here).

Good for Moreau, as I’ve always been a fan and he gets to play this final year. I’ve always liked Howson too, so I bet he can get a good year out of him.

As for the Souray rumor…I don’t mind it. Brewer can play, and while he is expensive he is a mil cheaper. If it works out it will be better than I expected on the return for Souray.

Tambellini is going to get a great off-season report card mark.

29 Responses to “O’Sullivan traded for Vandermeer”

1. DropIt says:

Good deal for Vandermeer.
    You move a buyout for an actual player, while PHX gets to buyout a player at 1/3 the cost.

Vandermeer will be a good asset, he is a serviceable shutdown guy. Nothing too fancy, but if the Oilers plan on having small forwards like Hall, Eberle and MPS playing then Vandermeer would make a nice pair of hands to defend those guys.

Ahhh, I get it. Vandermeer is on waivers though, so if I’m not mistake him, we’ll have to pass him through recall waivers to hang on to him, no? Either way, that still benefits the Oilers over buying out O’Sully

Nilsson will be bought out, assuming no one claims him (I think the deadline is right away). And really, his cap hit is minimal..

Like I (and several others) have been saying along… doing this to these 3 guys was EXACTLY the right thing to do. Worked out pretty well, no?

Racki: The Oil have been opening up some good money now with these trades/waivers/buyouts. Of course, Vandermeer will eat some of that up, but I wonder if now we can afford that type of d-man I mentioned we need.. a shutdown d-man. I personally think that we COULD go with a young team next year if we surround them with the veteran, savvy players they’ll need. So that means some defensemen that actually know how to defend… and some forwards who will bust hump at both ends of the ice. I think next year could be a good season to watch. It took him a while, but Tambellini is finally making the moves that I’d hoped he would before.

I gotta feeling that tomorrow we will sign 2 forwards, both 3rd/4th line vets to help out the young kids. Lets move Souray and Cogliano now and keep this train rollin

Penner Gagner Hemsky
    ?? Brule ??
    ?? Horcoff ??
    Jones Fraser Stortini

Whitney Gilbert
    Smid ??
    Vandermeer ??

Oi… lots of question marks in there. I purposely omitted the young kids, as none of them are sure bets to make the team.

I think they should bring back Comrie and put him with Horcoff and a UFA signing of some sort. As for “line 2″ (in quotes, cause it could end up as line 3, depending..) there is potential there for a combination of MPS, Hall and Eberle.

If we trade Souray for Brewer, as rumored, that gives us someone to play on line 2, perhaps with Smid (again, we’re short on RHD, but that’s OK). Maybe we could test the waters with one of the up and coming d-men (not many to choose from there) like Jeff Petry. Can’t wait to see him, and well he’s a RHD.

But really while there are big gaps in our line up, I think some good UFA signings could fill the important gaps, and then we can fill the rest within.

Also, no rush to see Cogliano pack his stuff.. in fact i don’t want him out of here at all. Not so much need, now that 19 and 12 are gone. Let’s keep him around a while, Tambi!

Oh forgot about Plante on D too.. him and Peckham are options, but neither are likely ready for fulltime NHL action. Same goes for Chorney, and even less ready, if you ask me.

I’m going to throw something else out there….

The rumor mill suggests that Moreau and Souray didn’t see eye to eye. Souray recently mentioned that if the Oilers still were interested, he would be fine to come back. He did throw management under the bus though, but perhaps now that Moreau is gone, it might have made him less anxious to leave.

Would you be fine with him staying, or no? His reputation took a big beating from fans, but I don’t think it was 100% deserved (overreaction by fans, if you ask me.. although partly deserved). I don’t like when players ask for trades, but his reasoning wasn’t as bad as say CFP’s was.

It’s best that the Oil and him part ways for other reasons (salary), but what if he stayed?

7. victoriaoilerfan says:

O/T what about Johnson, we are forgetting about him.

8. mrgod2u says:

Wow, it’s not even July and it feels like Christmas… I wonder what tomorrow will bring…?

Poppa wants a bunch of low-salary grinders to fill in the blanks until our junior talent is fully mature.

9. Trogdor says:

I’m getting more and more curious about how the team is going to look once all the pieces get filled in. I don’t think we’ve built a contender yet, but there will be a lot of fresh blood and youth injected and hoepfully they have to compete for their spots night in night out.

victoriaoilerfan: O/T what about Johnson, we are forgetting about him.

Well, I would love to see him back. But I mentioned earlier that Jason Gregor had said the Oil would choose between Johnson and Strudwick and felt they’d choose Strudwick.. not because he’s better, but because they love his leadership and how he is with the kids. Great locker room guy. Right decision?? Can’t really say so, but we do need those types in the dressing room. hire him as the washroom attendant. lol

Its now official. Steve Tambellini tells the media that Robert Nilsson has been bought out by the Oilers and will be a UFA tomorrow. The change continues. Next up: Sheldon Souray trade

Nice. Gold star for Tambellini for this week.

13. Puritania says:

Love the O’sucksfuckin’assivan for Vandy trade. Moreau to CBJ, and Nilsson bought out. Big thumbs up to Tambi so far, Let’s hope he keeps it up.

As for Souray for Brewer, if the Blues throw D.J. King into this trade I’m all over it.

14. John says:

I also feel that Tambi has somewhat redeemed himself for not getting anything done on draft day! I watched Vandermeer a lot when he was a Flamer & he is a tough, solid Dman but I have concerns about his mobility. Not the fleetest of foot kinda guy to get back into the play plus he takes a lot of dumb penatlties. However, considering how much time the opposition seems to spend in our end on most nights, Jimmy will have ample opportunity to stay put & crash & bang to get the puck back ;)

Now if Tambi can trade Souray & figure out how to wrangle Colby Armstrong into Edmonton, he could be the best GM we’ve had for decades!!!

Racki: Do you guys think there is any chance we could get Barret Jackman instead of Brewer? I think we’d have to up the ante in the form of taking on more salary our way, and/or giving up more the other way. This is in reference to trading Souray to the Blues. I think he would be perfect. I still think we need another puck mover, but we also need a shutdown guy, and really we won’t get both.. so I’d prefer the shutdown guy since we already have Whitney/Gilbert and guys like Smid and Johnson aren’t completely useless moving the puck up ice (if Johnson stays).

I don’t know. I really think that Brewer would be a nice addition to the lineup.

Let’s make it a blockbuster, Souray, Cogs and Omark for Brewer and Backes!!!! lol :-P

18. Haboiler says:

What a day for Tambi. To come out of that mess with the 3 of them with only buying out Nillson and gaining a serviceable 6/7 guy on the blueline…. Good work!

19. Haboiler says:

20. Mr.Majestyk says:

Well, it looks like all is well for Oiler fans. Hopefully O’Sully, Nilsson and Moreau don’t have bounce back seasons and make us look like morons for giving them away.

A couple other points.

– Bob McKenzie mentioned on TSN that there is some interest on the part of the Flames in Jason Spezza. We can’t allow the Flames to get Spezza.

– If it is destined that we move Cogliano I hope its part of a bigger trade that lands us a legit top 6 forward(Spezza would be nice)

– I think that other than trades and buying out Nilsson, we’d be successful on July 1 by doing nothing. Those bottom 6 gritty players we’re looking for can be had for a lot less closer to training camp. Its like a game of musical chairs, we just need to wait for a few UFA’s that haven’t found a home and offer them 1 year deals.

– I think I’m the only one that would like to see the Oilers offer Cheechoo a 1-year deal. He just got bought out of his big contract, now we can sign him for cheap, not that I’d overpay for the guy.

I’m all for the bargain bin players.

21. neufab says:

Vandermeer, smart move as an insurance guy both in his willingness to drop ‘em and to play if he’s needed to. Good for Moreau as he will help the Jackets. I still think that O’Sullivan can put up 60 pts next year on the RIGHT team.

The pieces are starting to fall and so far so good. Lets see how it comes together. Yet I’ve waited a couple of years for Horcoff to pack his bags and still he hangs around like the in-laws. Sorry guys but he’s not physical, he’s not naturally skilled enough to capitalize on the opportunities his line mates generate, he’s over-rated and over paid and is NOT a clutch player! I’ve never been a fan. He’s a plan B type player and good if you want to be 2nd. Too many phantom passes, board battles lost, and one-timers missed! I believe that is the first time I have provided an honest take on Horcoff…
    …I’m good now.

On the gentler side, if Souray stays then he issues a statement that isn’t vague, and rehearsed. No longer the captain he could have been, but he is likely a more valuable player than we can get in return. I like Brewer but he just simply doesn’t have that shot. I have heard some reports that the Blues are looking to move Jackman, but I would rather keep Souray and see Horcoff go for a shut down d-man; provided Souray has the respect of his team and WANTS to be an Oiler!

22. Mr.Majestyk says:

Is it possible that Souray’s change of heart is due to the lack of interest amongst teams he was willing to be moved to? Maybe he’s sat down with Tambi and told him that he’s willing to play the year and intends to have a good season where the Oilers deal him at the trade deadline and actually get something of value in return. Of course, what Racki mentioned about Souray and Moreau not seeing eye to eye might have had something to do with it too.

Haboiler: If the Oil could somehow pick up Colby Armstrong tomorrow and Zenon Konopka and then sign Johnson & Strudwick I would be pretty happy.

Hmm, Konopka isn’t a name I’ve heard floated around much.. good suggestion!

Armstrong could be good on the 3rd line with Horcs.. also a good thought.

As far as D-men, I still think we need another solution there to round the team out and make it competitive. Yes, we are in a rebuild… but rebuild doesn’t necessarily mean you have to suck the big one.

MR. M: Fuck yah… they can’t have Spezza… I don’t think we can either, but they definitely can’t :P

As for Cheechoo, I mentioned earlier I wouldn’t mind that one, and I think Chucker suggested it.. I’m kind of lukewarm to the idea. He’s had issues, but he might be a good reclamation project. This seems like a better idea to me after seeing how empty our line up is now.. and I don’t want to see 4 kids up here next year filling holes. He would at least come cheap… or should, anyways.

I also agree that Souray’s change of heart probably has some to do with there likely being a lack of interest as well as he’s about to lose his ability to chose destinations.

Andy Sutton hitting the UFA market.. there’s a guy I wouldn’t mind! Only problem with him is he gets hurt a LOT. But he’s tough as nails and can play a shutdown role. Might be a touch pricey though.

I think RAY Whitney wouldn’t sign here, at least for the kind of money we would pay for a guy in this role, but I wish we could sign him too.

A 3rd line of Whitney Horcoff Armstrong would probably provide a solid line with a balance of offense and defense. But that’s not at all likely to happen. For one, I’m sure Whitney is looking to go somewhere where he can contend for another cup, not help a team in a rebuild.

25. MetalOil says:

Nice work Tamby!!!!
    From what I hear Vandermeer is a pretty good physical in front of our net type of D-man and that is defiantly something we are missing. I wonder how this affects Peckham’s place on the big club next season? I think considering how he went through a ton of injury’s last season that he did a top notch job for his role last season paired with Johnson. At the same time it would not hurt him to get say another half season in the AHL under his belt(hopefully without hitting the IR so much).

Hey we have been all over Ethan lately but I still and will always remember him when he was in his prime. Tough player to play against. Great guy in the community and was one of those true Oilers, through and through! Good on our old friend in Columbus for giving him another chance!

Nilsson well I ain’t crying over his buyout but I could have still lived with having him on the team for another year but oh well.

Patty O……..LOL see ya :)

With Peckham, I think it’s best he spends some more time in OKC… this signing will be just as good for his development. There is still a possibility he’ll get a decent amount of games up here next year, as let’s not forget… the Oil always seem to get decimated by injuries. :P

27. MetalOil says:

Is Doug Weight still a free agent? Last I heard he was close to being retained by the Isles but if that hit a snag it would be great to see him come back here. Unlikely though…..Guess I am clinging to hope that I can see my favorite 90’s Oiler in copper and blue one last time.

28. neufab says:

Versteeg is a Leaf. Good move by Leafs as much as it pains me to say it.

Versteeg is bringing the cup to Lethbridge on Saturday, I’m close, so I’m there :)

not an Oiler though :(

MetalOil: Is Doug Weight still a free agent? Last I heard he was close to being retained by the Isles but if that hit a snag it would be great to see him come back here. Unlikely though…..Guess I am clinging to hope that I can see my favorite 90′s Oiler in copper and blue one last time.

I’m not sure if he officially signed or not but Garth Snow confirmed he is coming back for 1 year at around $1m + bonuses. Pretty certain he’s not going anywhere.

I have to say, Tambi’s clean-up moves are pretty impressive. I’m happy Moreau got pick up by the BJ’s, a bit of redemption for Ethan during a difficult time that someone wanted him enough to take his contract. It was a move that had to be made by the Oilers and to only have to absorb 1/3 of Nilsson’s contract + add Vandermeer is a pretty good result at the end of the day!

Well today’s the day. If they are truly rebuilding, the only major activity I expect is a Souray trade. I’ll be poolside on my deck with drink close at hand and the volume of the tv turned up inside. Sun’s finally out in NS, I’ll be enjoying that. Happy Canada Day!!