Oiler RFA’s Qualified

By , June 28, 2010 7:10 pm

Racki seems to be slacking off on the Oilers news front (moving), so I’ll have to pick up some of the slack here.

Today from the Oilers site:

General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have issued qualifying offers to the following players:

Gilbert Brule
Andrew Cogliano
Jeff Deslauriers
Devan Dubnyk
Colin Fraser
Sam Gagner
Jean-Francois Jacques
Ryan O’Marra
Theo Peckham
Liam Reddox

I don’t like the fact that Pouliot didn’t get qualified, but other than that it looks pretty standard. I’m expecting deals to be announced going forward for a few of the players, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Poo gets an offer from the Oilers as an UFA for league min.

8 Responses to “Oiler RFA’s Qualified”

With Reddox, I think the plan there must be to replace Pots with Ox. Reddox has more speed and will at least try to hit and can likely generate the same offense or slightly less. I find it interesting because the guy was ready to bolt to Europe last year and likely should have if you’re looking at salary opportunities. I would hope that they chatted with him to see if he intends to stick around this year, otherwise it’s a waste of a qualification. The other thing is he’s a guy who may be of value in a trade as an add on or he can be a filler here.

The key to me is that they hopefully discussed his intentions about going or not going to Europe like he was going to before last year. He was about to go over and then the Oilers convinced him not to go. Then the Oilers told him he’d likely have a spot here and put him in the minors. I’m sure that didn’t go over well. I’m not worried about losing him so much as I wonder if his qualification offer was done with some intelligence about his future on the Oilers or not. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him go to Europe at all. I just kind of wonder if his qualfying offer will be worth it or not.

It’s official!!

Moreau, Nilsson, O’Sullivan on waivers, first step toward buyout process.

Now we just gotta get Souray traded and some other minor housecleaning + see what UFA’s we sign and we’ll really start to see this years roster start to take shape!!

3. MetalOil says:

^^^ + find a new captain. My best bet is that it will be Struds since management apparently wants to keep him around for his locker room presence. This would be ok with me since he would be a short term fix and allow us time to find out which of our younger players is best suited for this role when Struds retires.

Horcoff will be captain.

Also, McKenzie just mentioned that offer sheets are now allowed to go out…and mentioned James Neal, Bobby Ryan and Marc Staal as possible targets.

Would you try the offer sheet again?

OOO, I guess it depended on what bracket the offersheet was for…

I’d probably consider Bobby Ryan as long as it wasn’t for more than $5,231,249.00, if it was between 4.5-5m we’d give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd…and I don’t believe the 1st will be a lottery pick. So I’d think about that. I’d probably do James Neal too, as long as it was less than $3,923,437.00 which would mean we’d give up a 1st and a 3rd. I doubt either of them would sign with us for that though.

And I too think Horcoff will be captain, and Whitney/Struds will wear A’s….but fuck I do not want Strudwick back!!! talk about a waste of a roster spot for somebody who just cannot play anymore.

I think offersheets do work (Penner worked out just fine)… but I think we should avoid that route if we can.

And yes, Horcoff for captain.. I agree there. Although sorry gr8one.. going to have to get used to Struds here.. I have been hearing that he’ll be back this year (like MO said, because management and coaching love how he is with the young players… he bridges the gap). If he’s captain, all shit might break lose here in Edmonton. haha

7. victoriaoilerfan says:

Sorry Racki I think Horc. should not be given the “C’ unless he shows some leadership and turns his game around big time!
    A guy with the worst +- in the league is not “C” material IMHO Frankly why are we worried about who is Captain? Let someone step up and earn it.

Vic: performance on the ice is only one part of being captain. Other parts include how they are in the locker room, outgoingness/personality, effort on the ice, etc.

A lot of people suggest making the best player on the team the captain, and I don’t agree with that one bit. The guy that is best suited for captain is the one that is willing to lay it all out on the line, support his teammates, be vocal, motivate, and such. On ice performance is a part, but I say a small part, if the effort is there.

The effort has always been there with Horcoff. I don’t think he’s ever been a guy that you could accuse of sulking on the ice like some of the players here.

And I don’t think any of us are worried about who is captain ;) Just discussing it, is all. Really as I’ve said all along, it’ll be a decision made by the team anyways, so it doesn’t matter what I think, but I’m pretty sure they won’t give it to Hemsky just because he racks up the most points or has a high plus/minus. Horcoff has always shown leadership whether his on ice numbers have suffered or not.

Ultimately, yes, someone will have to step up and earn it, I’m sure.. but I can easily see guys like Horcoff and Stortini and such being those types even though they aren’t the ones scoring the big goals.