Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson signs, part 2, with Dan Tencer interview..

By , June 1, 2010 11:58 pm
Magnus Van Awesome

Magnus Van Awesome

So as everyone undoubtedly knows by now, the Oilers have signed a 3-year entry level deal with 2009 1st-rounder Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson. Today he spoke with a few people in the media, one of which was Dan Tencer. The audio interview is available here.

For posterity sake and for those of you that can’t play the audio where you are, I’ve also transcribed it in this post.

Btw, I nominate that MPS legally change his name to Magnus Van Awesome. In reality, it makes no sense… but I’m tired of typing out Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson and, in particular, remembering how to spell Paajarvi. I know I’m getting way ahead of myself here, but there is no one in our system (including Eberle) I’m more excited to see than him.

MPS: “Thank you very much, I’m super excited to get the papers done, and yah.. I’m super excited.”
DT: “Did you ever have a thought this wasn’t going to happen (the signing)”
MPS: “Actually, no. But I just wanted to wait until after the World Championship and after the season so I could focus all on my hockey and take the contract on the next season, after the season is over. There was no doubt in my mind for the past couple of months. So no, I’m super excited to be part of this organization.”
DT: “What has been made in terms of promises… have they told you that you are going to play in the NHL?”
MPS: “Well, I’m getting over to play in North America for the next couple of years and they haven’t promised me anything yet. I’m just going to have to prove myself in the training camp so that’s what my goal is right now and of course I want to play for the Oilers.”
DT: “Would you be OK if you ended up playing in the AHL in Oklahoma City?”
MPS: “If they talk to me about it and they decide to do that, yah sure, but as I said, the goal is to play for the Oilers, and if I am going to have to go through the AHL then I have to do that.”
DT: “Have you looked at the roster and said this is pretty good time to come to this hockey team because there is a good opportunity here?”
MPS: “Yah, they want to start over and they’ve got some pretty young players coming up, and they have the first draft pick this year in July. So yah, the timing is very good and I feel very confident in myself to play in the NHL and I feel ready.. that’s my goal right now. I think the timing is perfect.”
DT: “Are you excited to come over to play with the young talent (1st rounder, Eberle, etc..) or do you look at like what am I coming into with a team that finished last place?”
MPS: “No, as I said, they have a very good young group of players like Eberle and Gagner and Lander and now the draft pick, and I’m thinking that they have a bunch of youngers that could be really good and could be good players for Edmonton for the next couple of years and I see a bright future.”
DT: “You mentioned your buddy Lander, do you see him coming over and playing with you next season?”
MPS: “Well I don’t know about that. But he signed another year for Timra right now. If he has a good season and he feels ready, I think he should go, because he’s a really good centreman and I think he’s going to make it some day. I hope he can be part of the Edmonton Oilers, for sure.”
DT: “What makes you ready to be in the NHL right now?”
MPS: “Especially now at the World Championship, I proved myself that I can play at the high level, I guess internationally, with the best players. I feel that I can do my things, even in the World Championships. I think that was a big part of my decision too. I’m just going to come over and bring my game, and prove myself that I can be part of the Edmonton Oilers.”
DT: Dan talks about how he thinks MPS is a big guy who uses his size well, has explosive speed, loves to go to the net and has pretty good hands for a bigger guy then asks “How would you describe yourself though?”
MPS: “I think you described me pretty good there. But no, I’m an offensive guy, and I build my game on my speed. I like to challenge the D, I like to make goals, whether it’s the goal or the assist. I’m a guy who can forecheck and backcheck too, really hard. I’m just a guy who will bring my speed and be an offensive guy.”
DT: Dan mentions how he is already a household name with the fans, and asks if he is surprised.
MPS: “Ya, a little bit. I heard from some players who have been playing in the NHL who I know, and they talk about it, that the Edmonton fans and they’re really crazy and they’re really good. I’m just super excited to be part of that. As you mentioned, I’ve noticed on my website, for example, on the guest book there. I’m really excited to see what comes.”
DT: “When do we get to see you in flesh in Edmonton?”
MPS: “Probably at the summer camp. I’m going to go to the summer camp – from the 5th of July to the 9th, I think. That’s my plans right now.”
DT: “What can you tell fans about Linus Omark?”
MPS: “He’s a really good guy outside the rink. I really do respect him a lot. On the ice, he’s unbelievable. He protects the puck tremendously well and it’s really hard to take the puck from him. He’s got a lot of (speed?) to be that small, and he’s really physical and he can pass the puck to a stick anywhere. I think he’s a really good player and he has a really good shot to make the team.”
DT: “Do you think Team Sweden will take over the Oilers like they have in Vancouver?”
MPS: Laughs. “I don’t know, maybe. We’ll see. It’s pretty nice though that we have some Swedes. It’s nice to have that when you come over, but we’ll see.”

10 Responses to “Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson signs, part 2, with Dan Tencer interview..”

Magnawesome?

2. MetalOil says:

I was reading an article from before he was drafted and NHL Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb said that MPS is already NHL ready and that was from a year ago.
    They also had him slotted to go 3rd or 4th in the draft.
    I knew he fell to us but did not know he fell that far :)

Yup. I was posting elsewhere (Copper N Blue) today about how I am still blown away by the fact we got him at 10th. Cause yes, even CSS had him at #3 for a while. For whatever reason, he dropped. I’m guessing it was because of his defense (Hockeys Future mentioned that he was known as a lazy defender, but really worked hard and improved that, so who knows).

4. MetalOil says:

Yeah if I recall it correctly the Oilers were very quick to make their selection(lots of time was still left on the clock) last year at the draft. The Oiler contingent almost looked shocked and extremely happy when they announced MPS as their selection.

Me well I had no clue as to who this kid was. I wanted with all my might to move up and get Evander Kane. I was somewhat pissed at the time but not no more :)

In all honesty, the whole time I was crapping my pants every time someone stepped up to the podium, thinking “Please don’t pick Paajarvi.. please don’t pick Paajarvi”. I’d heard of him before, and knew he was projected to go 3rd for a while. At the time, the comparisons were to Peter Forsberg. I tend not to believe the player comparisons, but hey, thats a pretty exciting guy to be mentioned in the same breath as. :P

So ya, I definitely had a clue who he was and really desperately wanted him. I was ecstatic when they called his name and mass texted everyone I could think of (one of which was Steve-O – I remember him receiving all the updates on draft picks from me due to being somewhere else… someone’s wedding or something?) when they said we got him.

haha…Yea, I remember last years draft really well actually, and for quite awhile MPS was ranked 4th after Tavares, Hedman and Duchene, and then a few weeks before the draft he drooped like 4-8 and I still thought there was now way he was going to drop to us.

I liked him so much last season I think I may have even thought up scenarios where we could trade up to 4th so we could get him, so yeah…needless to say, when they called out his name I was doing backflips.(The ninja kind, not the sissy gymnast kind)

Ya if I’m not mistaken, he was even as high as 3rd for a while. But that was well before the draft day.

And good thing you clarified between sissy gymnast and ninja backflips!

8. MetalOil says:

I just came across this reading The Journal. It seems that MPS does have an out clause to return to the SEL if he does not crack the Oilers roster next season.
    He said that he is willing to play in the AHL but maybe he does not want to be there for an extended stay???

I don’t see a problem with that. The SEL is a good league for a player to develop in. I just hope he doesn’t jump ship right away if he doesn’t make the roster instantly. Wait it out for a month or two then make a decision. Really I can see him making the roster though if we don’t add another LWer. And if he doesn’t make it right away, once the injury bug hits, he’ll make it.

Details of Magnawesome’s contract:

2-way deal…
    If he plays in the AHL, he earns $67,500.

If he plays in the NHL, he earns $900,000 + $625,000 (performance bonuses) + $90,000 (signing bonuses) for a cap hit of $1.525M.

Source: Cap Geek.