Let’s Make A Deal! … with the Phoenix Coyotes

By , June 18, 2010 7:15 pm
Unfortunately for the Coyotes, NHL players do not accept food stamps as salary payments

The Phoenix Coyotes signed Adrian Aucoin to a 2-year deal yesterday. That leaves Zbynek Michalek and Derek Morris left on their blue line to sign. Either of these guys would be nice additions to the Oilers.

Derek Morris is an Edmonton born player who brings a pretty all around game, including physical play. He could stand to be a bit better in his own zone, but he is skilled in the offensive zone. His $3.3M contract last year puts him in a spot that may make him a bit pricey for a team such as ours in a rebuild, but he would be a decent replacement for Souray. He also plays that oft-sought right side.

Zbynek Michalek is a big defender with very good shutdown qualities. He isn’t a guy that isn’t going to be confused for Scott Stevens with his physical play, but he isn’t going to shy from the contact either. He brings a bit of an offensive game, although that isn’t his best talent. His best talent is in his own zone where he is a superb shot blocker and has the size to be a strong presence in front of his own net. If he hits the UFA market, you can bet his agent will receive several calls from interested teams.

It’s not too likely the Coyotes would just let either of these guys walk, so I would think we would need to trade for negotiating rights if we have hope of scooping one of them up. So what’s it worth?

My favorite source for assessing team needs is TSN’s Off-Season Game Reports, by Scott Cullen. In his off-season game report for the Phoenix Coyotes, Cullen states the Coyotes needs as 2 top-six forwards and 2 top-four defensemen. So why would they trade their defensemen if it is one of their needs? Well, my hope is that perhaps they just need cheaper solutions there.

On the other hand, it is a possibility that these guys won’t want to re-sign in Phoenix, with the Coyotes fate up in the air. So there still is a bit of a chance at getting one of these guys via free agency. However, I’d say having that early negotiating right could help our advantage and help keep the salary required to sign one of them down a bit.

Whether it is a free agent signing or a trade and sign, I think the Oilers should put these guys on their radar.

Calgary’s 1st Round Pick (13th overall) – you always have to explore all avenues when it comes to getting another pick in the first round. The Coyotes have two first round picks this year. Perhaps there might be an argument for this pick being more available, given the uncertainty of the organization. A draft pick that won’t play for a few years won’t help keep this team in Glendale. Is it up for grabs perhaps? And if so, at what cost. All you Dylan McIlrath fans, #13 might be a good pick to acquire to make that McIlrath pick a possibility.

Soooo, I guess I need to throw out a random trade suggestion. So here it is:

To EDM:
Zbynek Michalek
#13 overall pick

To PHX:
Andrew Cogliano
Aaron Johnson (sorry folks, as much as I like him, I have a feeling he’s a goner)
Nashville’s 2nd rounder (48 overall) or our 3rd (61 overall)

Feel free to suggest your own ideas.

40 Responses to “Let’s Make A Deal! … with the Phoenix Coyotes”

I like it, I like it a lot. :)

2. MetalOil says:

Aaron Johnson is a UFA. Do you think the Yotes would give up that much for a UFA and Cogs? NVM I just noticed that Michalek is a UFA as well I think we would have to add our 31st pick and they may start to consider it.

Think that #48 pick from Nashville would be enough?

5. Chappy says:

I’d do that in a heartbeat.

Still would like to see if Johnson can get signed though.

Welcome, Chappy…

And while I’d love to get Johnson signed here, I figured the Coyotes would be looking for a cheap replacement for Michalek (albeit a watered down one), thus why I put him in the deal.

I definitely wouldn’t mind seeing Johnson (insert laughter here) here next year. But Michalek would definitely be a good upgrade, if we acquired him.

7. victoriaoilerfan says:

Racki: Also, what do you guys think Michalek is going to fetch? I’d have to guess in the $3-4M range. I wonder if we could get him for something like $13M over 4 seasons.

Hockeybuzz says (Take it for what it’s worth) he wants 4 mill. Doesn’t mean it’s true or that he will get it. But thats way to rich if that is the ball park he is wanting IMO. He is a good steady eddy shot blocker but I’m not overly impressed with him.

I would do the trade, fixes some needs and gives us another 1st rounder

I have always liked Derek Morris. I really feel that was the start of the decline in Calgary. When they got rid of him and Leopold, their D morphed into a less mobile D, and more relliant on three guys, especially once Ference was gone too.

I’d be down with getting either, but I wonder if that is overpayment.

10. Puritania says:

Like many others here, I’d do this deal in a hearbeat. Michalek is a solid guy and that 13th pick to get Dylan is the key for me. I really like what I’ve seen from Johnson but a chance of getting McIrath and Michalek would be great.

I still have dreams of Jeff Carter swimming in my head…I still think he could be had from Philly with the right offer, and they really need cap space to fit a high end goalie on their roster.

I’m thinking something like Cogs, Omark, Souray and next years #1 for Carter, Timonen and their 2nd pick next year.

We all know Cogs value, plus they get a great prospect, a high pick next year and on top of all the cap savings they’d be saving up front, they’d be saving even more in the Timonen/Souray exchange, as Souray makes less, and is a year younger. Souray on their PP would be scary, and it gives them a pretty scary 1-2 physical punch with Pronger there, and it`s something Timonen doesn’t bring. Plus, after Souray and Pronger fight over #44, they can lament over how shitty it was to play in Edmonton.

In return we get our #1 center, and a player that in the last two seasons has only been outscored by, Ovie, Marleau, Kovie, Crosby and Parise, plus a steady vet D-man that fits the Visnovsky mold to pair up with Smid on the second pairing.

Hall Carter Hemsky
    Penner Gagner Brule
    MPS Horcoff Eberle

YIKES!

Gr8one: same here. I have been thinking about Carter here as well. With him in the lineup, our lineup looks something fierce, especially in a few years and if our young guys pan out.

Now lets imagine by some miracle we could get both Horton and Carter in trades.

Hall Carter Hemsky
    Penner Gagner Eberle
    MPS Brule/Potulny Horton
    Jones Horcoff Stortini

I can’t imagine what it would cost to acquire both players, so the line up above wouldn’t be what I wrote above (i.e. there would be some players replaced). However, I do like the prospect of having TRUE size+skill with skilled playmakers and finishers on 3 lines, and one line designed to play the “tough” minutes.

I’d say that we have guys like Souray (perhaps attractive to the Flyers), Cogliano, Nash, Omark and Rajala as guys that might spark some interest from these teams. Outside of that some picks as well. As I said, I like Aaron Johnson, but he might be a “sell high” guy too that would help a deal. I’d definitely rather see him here, but if it puts a deal for Horton or Carter over the top.. uh, easy choice.

lol…yeah, I was actually going to include in my post some Horton dreaming too, but didn’t want to push it.

I remember last year there were Horton rumors flying about and word was that Fla actually really liked Horcoff. If they took Horcoff, we’d need to take some salary back, and that might be Stillman. I dunno, Horcoff, O’Sullivan and our 31st for Horton and Stillman? would that work?

Hall Carter Hemsky
    Penner Gagner Horton
    MPS Brule Eberle
    Stillman Potulny Stortini

Anyways… cap hits:

Hall (~3.75M incl bonuses- comparison Tavares) Carter (5M) Hemsky 4.1M
    Penner (4.25) Gagner (~2.5M?) Horton (4M)
    MPS (~1.625M – comparison Gagner’s ELC) Brule (~1.75M?) Eberle (~1.625M)
    Reinprecht (2M) – Potulny (~1.1M?) Stortini (0.7M)

Extra roster forwards ~$2M
    Salary in forwards: 32.4M

Whitney (4M) Gilbert (4M)
    Smid (1.3) ???
    Peckham (~0.7M) Johnson (~1M)

Salary in defensemen: 11M… with 2 d-men needed

Goaltending:
    Re-Khabi (3.75M)
    Dubnyk (~0.9M)
    Salary in goalies: 4.65M

Total salary: $48.05M

Thoughts here??

To be honest I don’t see Carter getting moved. It makes a lot more sense for the Flyers to move an older Gagne, an overpaid Hartnell or Briere. I don’t think they are dumb enough to trade Carter off. As for Horton I would deal for him in a heart beat. I’ll say it again, To FLA: Cogliano, NSH’s 2nd rounder, Souray. To EDM: Horton, Allen.

Penner-Hall-Hemsky
    Svensson-Gagner-Eberle
    Horton-Horcoff-Brule
    Jones-Potulny-Stortini

Whitney-Gilbert
    Allen-Smid
    Chorney(Do or die season for him)-Johnson

I don’t know… all the big guys (TSN, etc.) are saying Carter is available. I personally do think that the Flyers SHOULDN’T be shopping Carter, but it sounds like they are, which is a little crazy to me too (Halak being shopped levels of crazy… so on that note, it’s also possible).

Also, on the note of Allen.. that’s a guy I mentioned in that other thread… would love to have him and would consider him a good aid in completing our blue line (well, strengthing it, anyways). But would the Panthers trade him? I am not so sure… I hope so though. From what I understand, there are few untouchables there.

All the Philly proposals just got more interesting – they’ve traded Ryan Parent to the Preds for the rights to Hamhuis. If they sign Hamhuis, I would think they’ve got to do a trade involving a big ticket player.

edit – I hope you didn’t already post this, I couldn’t see it in your discussions…

Racki: I’d say instead of O’Sullivan, maybe that’s where we throw a guy like Nash or Cogliano their way, for salary reasons. I was just about to calculate cap hit when I saw this. Not sure how much it works. But I’d say we’d have to take either Stillman or Reinprecht in the deal. Stillman’s contract expires at the end of this coming season, and Reinprecht’s in the next one after that.. so either way it wouldn’t be too bad for us.Anyways… cap hits:Hall (~3.75M incl bonuses- comparison Tavares) Carter (5M) Hemsky 4.1M
    Penner (4.25) Gagner (~2.5M?) Horton (4M)
    MPS (~1.625M – comparison Gagner’s ELC) Brule (~1.75M?) Eberle (~1.625M)
    Reinprecht (2M) – Potulny (~1.1M?) Stortini (0.7M)Extra roster forwards ~$2M
    Salary in forwards: 32.4MWhitney (4M) Gilbert (4M)
    Smid (1.3) ???
    Peckham (~0.7M) Johnson (~1M)Salary in defensemen: 11M… with 2 d-men neededGoaltending:
    Re-Khabi (3.75M)
    Dubnyk (~0.9M)
    Salary in goalies: 4.65MTotal salary: $48.05MI’m not sure what the cap is, but let’s say it is $56.8. So that leaves us with about $8.75M in cap space.I’d say with that, we make a UFA defensive signing for a couple of years. Targets would be Zbynek Michalek (3.5-4M?), Derek Morris (3.5M-4M?), Garnet Exelby ($2M?? – not sure about this one). There are a few others out there too.
    I’d say if we pick up one defensive d-man, it leaves us with a little bit of wiggle room for salary increases when players are up for raises.Thoughts here??Btw, I’m not necessarily saying we bring in Hall(or Seguin), MPS and Eberle in 2010-11… but this lineup could look somewhat similar in 2011-12 (but with some added salary)

good post, I was wondering how the numbers played out, I’m glad you took the time to do that!

And yeah, I agree about Cogs/Nash instead of O’Sullivan, the reason I included him though was that he is a little more proven than Nash, and I still think he’s shown enough at the NHL level that another team still might see some value in him. I agree that Cogs makes that deal a much better fit trade wise, but in that post I had already sent him to Philly in the Carter deal.

And LNOF, wow…that trade really does make things interesting for the Flyers now, and if they sign Hamhuis, that makes their cap issues even worse, and still haven’t addressed their goaltending.

I wonder if maybe they are going to go with Emery again…he actually played great for them before getting hurt, and everyone seems to have forgot about him.

Anyways, hopefully these trades are really going to start domino-ing, and maybe we’ll see some Oiler moves before the draft.

either way though, there are definitely some interesting things going on in Philly now.

Call the Flyers NOW NOW NOW TAMBI! Offer them Nashville’s 2nd rounder, Riley Nash and Dustin Penner for Jeff Carter

Hall-Carter-Hemsky
    Svensson-Gagnber-Eberle

GO GET IT

I say no to that… Penner should stay. He’s one of few finishers we have and he’s a good two-way player. Figure out someone else to put in that trade ;)

Hall Carter Horton
    Penner Gagner Eberle
    MPS Horcoff Brule

to me looks better than

Hall Carter Hemsky
    MPS Gagner Eberle
    and then it starts looking a lot less enticing…

gr8one: Yeah, agree…honestly, and I’ll probably get raked for saying this, but I might actually would trade Hemmer before I’d trade Penner. I love Hemsky, but if we could use him to get a Carter or a Horton without having to give up much else I think we’d have a more balanced offense that would be a lot harder to play against.Hall Carter Horton
    Penner Gagner Eberle
    MPS Horcoff Bruleto me looks better thanHall Carter Hemsky
    MPS Gagner Eberle
    and then it starts looking a lot less enticing…

BO – if Philly is going to sign Hamhuis I don’t think they aren’t going to be able to take much back in salary. The cap hit difference between Penner and Carter is only $750k.

gr8one – last I read on Emery he isn’t going to know until August if he can even resume his career. His hip condition is degenerative I think and quite serious – i.e. he could be done. I’m thinking Philly will be BouchLeightoning it – going cheap on their goalies like they usually do.

edit – not that Emery will be all that expensive but I’m thinking he’s going to be left until very late – perhaps mid-season replacement late to a team in emergency need of a goalie, if he is even able to resume his career.

25. MetalOil says:

I think the cap next season is supposed to be at around 58 million and honestly I would like us to take a cautious approach and head into next season with about 4 million in unused cap space to give us some cap flexibility. If we could get Carter I might relent on this stance but ultimately at this time we do not need to jump the gun on anything. To me I am looking at next season as a filter year and want to see what we can get out of the players we have to see what the best approach going forward will be. Lets remember that during the course of next year there will be some appeasing names hitting the trade market for what ever reason. During the off season teams tend to over pay for highly sought after players like Carter, Spezza and Horton. I do not know what I am really trying to say (crazy night last night) other then we are in a good position that affords us the luxury of being patient right now. I feel like I am rambling on here because my brain is all scrambled right now but the biggest thing for me is securing another first round draft pick because like Puritania I am really high on McIlrath too.

26. victoriaoilerfan says:

Racki: LOL!!! I laugh, because i had the same thing typed up, then I deleted it thinking “hmm.. better not say that”. But it is true… I’d sooner trade Hemsky. And he’d fetch more. Also, if by some miracle we can hang on to Cogliano when picking up Horton and Carter (which I think we could, if we gave up Souray and Hemsky), we could have a Penner Gagner Cogliano line too. I think they make a good line. Or at the very least, we could keep him on the wing and put him on line 3, with perhaps Brule in the center, and Horcoff centering a checking line.I’ve almost always defended Penner.. but didn’t think there would ever be a moment where I’d say I’d keep him over Hemsky. Obviously I love Hemsky.. but I think we failed to build around him. We spent years trying to do it, and I think it was a valiant effort, but not one I’d want to keep doing.

Fact is he will get you more than anyone on our team. AND is he going to sign? It’s only 2 more years. If you wait for the last year I think his value goes down.

victoriaoilerfan: Rakki!! When I suggested trading Hemsky to Columbus for their 4th round pick and others you said absolutely quote “just say no to trading Hemsky and his wonderful contract: *sigh.

heh…I think in that scenario Racki’s issue was trading Hemsky for a prospect instead of a proven player.

28. victoriaoilerfan says:

Racki: Oops, I actually meant to include a pick on our side too. Not the #31 pick though. I was thinking either our 3rd or Nashville’s 2nd rounder.I’ve editted the post above to include the pick. I agree M.O., that it wouldn’t quite get it done. Although I’ve always said, Cogliano provides a lot of value to a team and is undervalued by fans. But still, that #13 pick alone would require at least Cogliano, and I wouldn’t consider Johnson equal value for Michalek. So yes, we would need to up our side a bit. Think that #48 pick from Nashville would be enough?

Why do we need a guy like Morris? Great brain but no muscle playing behind a young small team? The Yotes are going broke and he has no where else to go! (3.3 mill). Forget it! Lets chase Martin Hanzel(who is a ral talent with a futrue) instead from this dying carcas..why pay for guys at the end of their careers? We are rebuilding. Again I like Michalek, but if he wants 4 million..forget him as well. You guys have got to get your head around the rebuilding mode.
    (I say this with respect..but I believe it)
    Look at the Yotes contracts. They are all short term.

29. Mr.Majestyk says:

I’d be disappointed if we have to give up Hemsky in order to get a guy like Carter. It may well come to that in order to get a legit first line center but the whole problem we’ve had over the years is a talent in Hemsky without a center to play him with.

Hang around me long enough and you’ll see I flip flop on issues on an hourly basis :P

31. victoriaoilerfan says:

Racki: Hang around me long enough and you’ll see I flip flop on issues on an hourly basis But really, Gr8one hit the nail on the head.. I just can’t see us giving up Hemsky for anything other than a proven player or the #2 pick.. I just don’t think the #3 pick and beyond are good enough (simply put, Hemsky is mostly untouchable, but not completely untouchable).

Ah I see, kinda like being a little bit pregnant lol.

32. dawgtoy says:

IMHO, I’m not so sure, but if I had my dream and was GM for a moment I think I’d rebuild through the draft and trading for prospects and avoid the Carter’s and the Horton’s and stick with the prospects that we already have. I know the thoughts are you can’t have nothing but prospects playing and I know the team needs some depth, fringe type players to fill wholes in the line-up, but you can’t shortcut a complete rebuild. I’m not saying we need to suck, but rebuilding the team properly means to me patience and development of the talent we already have. Jim Matheson today speaks of the need to package our high end talent in order to help secure the second pick overall, and I just feel that’s like robbing from Peter to pay Paul. Yes Tayler and Tyler are special hockey talent and may be great, but they may not. Who’s to say that MPS isn’t that special player, or Eberle…you know where I’m going with this.
    Why not develop our own and shave off some fat (Moreau, O’sully) then sign Comrie, Strudsy, Fern, Johnson, Stoner etc…then put the high end talent where they belong, if it’s here fine, if not make ‘em a Baron and watch them grow and develop.
    If the team sucks, we get another awesome prospect next year. The Red Wings believe that for every 4 or 5 prospects, the likelihood is 1 will develop to be what you hope, the rest will not make the grade. Therefore we should stockpile all the talent that we can. It’s a rebuild, so rebuild it right. No shortcuts

Just my 2 cents.

33. DropIt says:

Some very interesting proposals here. You guys are a lot more fun at this time of year then CP :P

I was thinking about those Horton to Boston rumors…

We select Seguin and get Horton?

/edit

and btw Dropit, where ya been? we’ve missed our little friendly neighborhood closet Oilers fan. :-P

I also just gotta say, when I look at the Bruins, man it has got to be a good feeling being a fan of that franchise right now, they have a solid team as is, plus Hall/Seguin, plus the 15th pick, plus the 31st and 45th picks, not to mention what will likely be a lottery pick next year as well.

If Chiarelli plays his cards right he should have the ability to bring in some warm bodies to be a contender next year and have a stockpile of young players to be a force for years to come.

Yah no kidding, trading Kessel was definitely one of the better things to happen to them too.

37. victoriaoilerfan says:

gr8one wrote:

The B’s have the 32nd pick. But they are in a great spot IMO. Thats why they are going to be tough for the Oilers to trade with, there is just no urgency on their part IMO.

whoops, I meant 32nd. :-P

39. DropIt says:

gr8one: I was thinking about those Horton to Boston rumors…lol, maybe a three way where after Boston getting Horton they flip him to us for Cogs and Hall?We select Seguin and get Horton?/editand btw Dropit, where ya been? we’ve missed our little friendly neighborhood closet Oilers fan.

I’ve been searching around league boards, leeching off of the exciting talks of other teams and their draft picks… I came here last so I could avoid the ridicule

Well at least you don’t have to wake up until late afternoon Saturday to figure out what Calgary “just did” in the draft :P Sorry, couldn’t resist.