Let’s Make A Deal! … with the Florida Panthers

By , June 17, 2010 12:11 am
Let's make a deal with the Florida Panthers..

Let's make a deal with the Florida Panthers..

Let’s Make A Deal With The Panthers

The Florida Panthers currently hold the #3 overall pick in the 2010 Entry Draft. I think they could be a likely trade partner, but it’s more than just for that pick. * – The Sun Sentinel speculates that Nathan Horton will be gone from Florida at the draft. This speculation is spurred by Horton’s agent, Paul Krepelka. Darren Dreger has also confirmed Horton’s availability.

The article also suggest the Sabres would be a good trading partner, suggesting Tim Connolly coming back. I’m going to suggest that the Oilers give Dale Tallon a call and see first of all to see if the draft pick is available, and secondly, see if they have interest in any of the Oilers players for Horton.

What needs do the Panthers have? TSN’s Scott Cullen’s Off-season Game Plan for the Florida Panthers says the team will need one top six forward, a top four defenseman and an additional defenseman.

Some have suggested Sheldon Souray as a player the Panthers could be interested in for Horton. Souray will make $4.5M for the next and final 2 seasons ($5.4M cap hit) of his contract, which makes him a bit more marketable to teams with some cap space. The Panthers are sitting at $46.6M this coming season, but still have some signings to make. Perhaps we could spin this deal (be forewarned, I’ve never claimed to be good at drafting trade suggestions):

If Florida would shop #3…
To EDM:
Nathan Horton
2010 1st Round Pick (#3 overall)

To FLA:
Sheldon Souray
Riley Nash
Andrew Cogliano
2010 2nd Round Pick (#31 overall) or next year’s 1st Rounder if they don’t bite on that

With that #3 pick we would then, presumably, draft one of the big name d-men in this year’s draft – Gudbransson, Fowler, or Gormley.

The #3 overall pick is a bit of an added bonus. They may not have any intent on trading it, or it may take a lot to get it. The important part for me would be getting Nathan Horton, and I think we could make that happen for Sheldon Souray and perhaps a lesser prospect. As far as the #3 overall pick, we might have to give a bit more if we’re really after it (such as upgrade to our 2011 first rounder…. swap Cogliano with Brule…. add Omark or Rajala… and/or take on a bad contract).

If Florida isn’t shopping #3, we could try…
To EDM:
Nathan Horton
+ Salary dump player if necessary (** – Allen / Weiss / Reinprecht? – may need to balance the Edmonton end more)

To FLA:
Sheldon Souray
Andrew Cogliano

Let’s presume we get Horton for the idea above… perhaps our forward lines in a couple years would look something like:

Penner Gagner Hemsky
Hall Brule Horton
MPS Potulny Eberle
Stortini Horcoff (random defensive UFA signing)

* – Credit to Copper N Blue for pointing out this story.

1st Overall Pick Is Up For Grabs (…sorta)

One last note… I see a newer article up on TSN tonight by Darren Dreger about the Oilers welcoming all trade offers for the #1 pick. Anyone else scared here? I doubt that Tambellini would mortgage the future for someone (like another Hossa), but you just never know. Stay the course. That said, if some insane, unpassable deal (ex. Kopitar for our 1st + a good player) comes along, that changes things. But for the most part, that pick should remain ours when it comes time to step up to the podium.

This article also brings up the Florida Panthers and how Nathan Horton is available. ** – The article also suggests that there are few players that will stay untouchable on the Panthers (Booth, Kulikov, Markstrom) and even brings up Stephen Weiss as being shopped. It’s unlikely, but perhaps we could get Bryan Allen along with Nathan Horton in some way. I’ve brought his name up before. I know he’s a solid d-man that the Panthers aren’t likely anxious to move, but if they’re serious about a rebuild it won’t hurt to ask.

84 Responses to “Let’s Make A Deal! … with the Florida Panthers”

I love the idea of getting Horton, have for a long time.

a first line of Penner/Carter/Horton would be pretty damned scary me thinks…

Gilbert Whitney
    Smid Morrison
    Scott/Peckham/Johnson/Chorney/Plante

That top line would be scary, but I’d spread the size out more.

Perhaps:
    Hall Carter Horton
    Penner Gagner Eberle

On the note of John Scott, I’ve thought about him a bit, and I think he’s pretty overrated. He’s a thug that happens to play the blueline. He doesn’t do anything particularly well, other than chuck knuckles. So I’ll take a pass on him, now that I think about it. But Morrison on the other hand, I would like him here, sure.

Anyways, I’m having serious Deja Vu here… but yes, Carter and Horton would be awesome. We’d still have a really good team even if Hemsky were moved.

3. victoriaoilerfan says:

gr8one: I love the idea of getting Horton, have for a long time. *sigh* If only we could get him and Carter…if we got Horton, it might actually kind of make Hemmer more expendable in a deal to Philly to get Carter. I love Hemmer, but he excels in the Eastern conference, and I think Horton would be a perfect fit for the Oilers and the Western conference, he also gives us more size up front.a first line of Penner/Carter/Horton would be pretty damned scary me thinks…Hall/Gagner/Eberle looks pretty good too, and so does MPS Horcoff/Brule as the third line…and we would still have a plethora of great pieces to form a really good 4th line, JFJ/Potulny/Stone/Stortini looks pretty good too…Sign a couple of D men like Shaone Morrison and John Scott and I think we have all our bases covered…we would be big and intimidating on the back end, with enough puck moving skill to help the offense, and our forwards look pretty damned good too.Gilbert WhitneySmid MorrisonScott/Peckham/Johnson/Chorney/PlanteI really like the idea of having a nuclear deterrent like Scott around to make the youngsters feel safe.

4. victoriaoilerfan says:

victoriaoilerfan: Wow I just posted a tongue in cheek deal on the Oilers site responding to Chucker. It wasn’t as elaborate but it was switching picks and taking Horton. I kidded around and asked the Cats to throw in their 1st rounder next year which is a little over the top. But the Horton thing is interesting for sure. I would take Gudbranson for sure.

5. John says:

Horton is very tempting but it all comes down to the price of course. I would be willing to give up Souray, Cogs, Nash, (& maybe Moreau?) for Horton & Allen but I don’t see Florida giving us their #3 pick without us throwing in more to sweeten the pot ala Penner or Hemsky. At that point it gets a little too rich for my liking. Besides, a franchise forward is what this team really needs to build around & there won’t be one available at #3 I don’t think. We could get a heck of a defenceman @ 3 but I’m not a believer in building a team around a stud Dman.

I would rather develop a good core of young capable forwards then bring in a stud blueliner via trade or free agency. Of course in a perfect world we build around both like Chicago but I don’t know if our team is gonna suck bad enough for enough years in a row to accomplish that. We do know however that right now we suck bad enough to get a top notch forward!

I honestly don’t think Weiss would be a good pickup, IMHO, he’s an older version of Gagner, only I think Gagner will be better, we just don’t need another small forward.

and yeah Racki, I agree about spreading around the size a bit.

with that lineup, I think there would be a lot of very effective line combos.

As far as Scott goes, I agree about his effectiveness as a player, and my suggestion is utilizing him as a depth/7th d man option….he’d come cheap, and can play ~decent~ enough to play an effective enforcer role.

If not him, I still think we need a nuclear deterrent and I can’t think of another one that would come as cheap and be able to play at least some effective minutes.

I was reading that Storts has been working out like a madman and has worked especially hard on his skating this past summer…I’m actually looking forward to seeing how he does this upcoming season, I don’t think he’s the “deterrent” we need, but I think he might be one of the best light heavyweights that can actually play this season.

victoriaoilerfan: I tried to edit my post but it wouldn’t stop jumping around so..what I wanted to add is that even with Horton etc. we are still weak up the middle. Getting Carter is a bit of a stretch. Would we be better to look at Weiss? Just asking.

Souray and Cogs for Horton ? I’d do that.

8. MetalOil says:

Halak just got traded to the St. Louis Blues according to Oilers Lunch. The players going the Habs way has not come out yet.

9. Oilersman says:

Well St. Louis just got a hell of a lot better… Habs get Eller and Schultz in return from Blues

10. MetalOil says:

really that’s it?????? There must be some draft picks involved too.

I have no idea what the hel Montreal was thinking….wow

12. MetalOil says:

I wonder if the Habs may have some interest in JDD to back up Price now? Sorry it is just a natural reaction on my part to assume the Habs will want him because he is french. They do like their french goalies out there. :)

Edit:
    From ESPN(TSN is so clogged with outraged Hab fans it will not load :)http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5298330

the best part of this is that blues fans are pissed lmao

MetalOil: And I can add that Montreal never contacted us since the season ended,” Walsh said

i can’t believe it…i mean, i know it might have happened that way, but why would you not even throw a little contract his way? makes no sense

I don’t think they’ll go the 2 young goalies route again. My money is them signing the very French UFA Marty Biron who can offer some veteran guidance. Although he still has aspirations of being a starter, his year in NYI set him back a bit.

16. victoriaoilerfan says:

chucker: I’m all for getting Horton, but I don’t see much difference in him and Hall’s potential except that Hall is younger. I do think the idea of a different trade not involving our top pick going away is likely and quite possible.I believe Horton would do well here, but maybe it’s a change of players involving Souray and Cogs and a D prospect. I’m not sure Talon would give up his pick with his history of knowing how to do a successful re-build as illustrated by the Blackhawks.Sorry if I came across the wrong way Vic. That was not my intention, but I think that Tambi should definitley listen and other trades may come out of that, as you suggested. I think that’s most likely. I doubt many clubs want to give up their top 5 picks due to the ability to keep a good player for cheap in the cap world right now. Souray and Cogs for Horton ? I’d do that.I really don’t know much about Weiss except he’s a power forward so I really can’t say.

YOu didn’t come across badly at all Chucker. YOu never do. I went on the Panther site and talked to a few guys that do know what they are talking about.
    One guy in particular said that Horton is really underated around the league.
    He played without Booth last year and still got 57 points in 65 games and that if he didn’t miss the 17 games due to injury he was on pace for 70. He doubted Horton is availabe without throwing in ether Penner/Hemsky or Gagne with our 1st.

17. victoriaoilerfan says:

MetalOil: I wonder if the Habs may have some interest in JDD to back up Price now? Sorry it is just a natural reaction on my part to assume the Habs will want him because he is french. They do like their french goalies out there. Edit:From ESPN(TSN is so clogged with outraged Hab fans it will not load – http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5298330” Halak will be a restricted free agent July 1 and has not signed a deal yet with the Blues, his agent, Allan Walsh, told ESPN.com.And I can add that Montreal never contacted us since the season ended,” Walsh said.”

Well what do you know. Yet another GM that doesn’t comunicate with his players. Tambi isn’t alone it seems. I think the Habs have made a HUGE mistake.

Well, I don’t really know anything about either player going to Mtl, especially Schultz…Eller however from what I can see was a 13th overall pick and a really solid young prospect with lots of offensive upsid. Also, we can’t forget there’s really not much marker for goalies…there is going to be a glut of them available via UFA, and some others that are also likely possibly available via trade…so, I guess it depends on what kind of player Eller turns out to be, but right now it doesn’t look THAT bad.

John: We could get a heck of a defenceman @ 3 but I’m not a believer in building a team around a stud Dman.

Wow,I take the complete opposite belief. You build your team from the back up. Whats that saying? Defense wins Championships. It’s pretty true.

Now that said, I’ve heard mixed reports as to whether the blueline-crew this year is really THAT good. It sounds like they aren’t. Redline Report doesn’t seem to think so, and scouts have said there is a huge drop after pick 2. Soooo, does that mean we have an easier shot at #3? Or does that mean we have no business giving up much for #3 and should reconsider that?

At any rate, this #3 pick was a bit of an afterthought, and most of you are right that it’s probably not going to be too easy to grab it without giving up a Penner or Hemsky (in which case, no thank you / see comment above).

On the note of a defenseman that can play a solid brand of 2-way hockey (a la Doughty)… if we somehow scooped one of those up, even if it cost us Hemsky, I think we’d be a hell of a force in the next few years.

On the note of Halak… I won’t pretend like I’m hugely disappointed that we didn’t go for him, but I have huge doubts the Oilers even had any interest. I would dump Dubnyk and JDD in a heartbeat for him, but oh well. Good on the Blues. I think the Habs got a bit fleeced here, but I don’t know enough about these two players going the other way though, granted. Just from what I’m reading though, I don’t think either player is particularly impressive or would make as big an impact as Halak could. However, as gr8one implied, the goaltender market is saturated, and you’ll have a tough time pawning a goaltender for much these days.

20. Trogdor says:

I’m with Steve-O. Throw him an offer at the very least. Price/Halak worked well it seemed playing them off one another. Two youngish talents pushing each other to play well. I started to reap the benefits in one of my pools late in the season but damn them for taking so long to start playing well…

Really doesn’t seem like much coming back to Montreal as I don’t think Halak’s play was of the flash in the pan variety and it once again puts the entire weight of the Habs pressure cooker on Price’s shoulders again.

To be honest, I think the Habs are clueless when it comes to goaltending. Did Patrick Roy razzle them? :P

I’m not saying that Price is the wrong long term decision necessarily, but man have they misplayed that situation. The Blues are lucky to capitalize on the Habs’ blunders.

22. Mr.Majestyk says:

Wow, that Halak trade boggles the mind. I hope Tambi doesn’t pull any surprises like that out of his hat anytime soon.

23. dawgtoy says:

An hour long documentary on the Oilers! This might be kinda interesting.

Horrible, horrible, horrible deal. Halak, the guy who won you two rounds single handedly and was the pride of Montreal gets traded for two guys people hardly know about. Great deal Montreal.

Price had problems with pressure before, watch him implode this season. It’s a sure bet. LNOF is likely right though, Biron or Boucher or somebody will come in and be a mentor. BTW, do the Habs still have Denis?

I wonder if Tambi even knew about Halak being available and if he had any interest. He should have been very interested and like Racki suggested, JDD and a couple of other players would have equalled the deal that St. Louis gave. On the bright side, Legace and Ellis are likely available. (sic)

@ Vic. Thanks. I didn’t think I said anything there too out of order so thanks for clearing that up.

As for Horton, I would not want to trade Hall for him, but he is definitely a guy who would help us, but give to get for sure.

On the third pick or later, I’m with Racki. The drop off is said to be HUGE. That means these guys are good, but not great. I’m not really wanting to throw too much at those teams to pry one of those picks out of them. To tell you the truth, I’d rather try to get a 6-10 pick and select Neonrider. I think that is the more likely deal to happen i.e. to get a pick in top ten but not necessarily 2-4.

Blues are very active today. Hocekybuzz.com’s Av’s writer has said the avs have traded T.J. Hensick to the Blues aswell.

chucker: To tell you the truth, I’d rather try to get a 6-10 pick and select Neonrider.I think that is the more likely deal to happen i.e. to get a pick in top ten but not necessarily 2-4.

Racki: I actually love the idea of picking up Nintendorider, but at the same time I kind of wonder if we would be wise to grab yet another skill forward. Love the guy though, but does he fit in the roster when we have Hall/Seguin plus Omark, Rajala, Eberle and MPS all waiting in the wings in addition to our regular lineup of Penner, Hemsky, Brule and Gagner.Nintendorider would just add to the traffic jam. But hey, I definitely wouldn’t be upset if we drafted him. I think he’ll be a pretty good, gritty, 2-way player.

Yeah, that occured to me, but also, not all of these guys are guarantees. If they are, we can trade some for another asset.

Does anybody else think that something could be going on with Montreal? I haven’t listen to the 8min explanation on TSN but while were throwing out ideas mine as well bust out a few myself.

I think it’d be interesting if Montreal dealt Price + Prospect(s) + Draft Pick to NJ for Marty Brodeur. They’d have solid goal-tending for a year or two (if no injuries), Brodeur gets to play at “home” for the rest of his career and NJ gets stocked full of potential players. Just throwing ideas out there… what do yeah guys think? Crazy or what?

chucker:
    Yeah, that occured to me, but also, not all of these guys are guarantees.If they are, we can trade some for another asset.

Yah this was something I thought about as I was posting that reply. You’re right.. none of them are guarantees, and it wouldn’t hurt to have some extra stockpile, for sure (thus why I said I wouldn’t be upset at all if they drafted him). I still think it would be in our best interests to pick up a a well rounded d-man more than anything… but picking up Nintendorider definitely would help our cause, so long as we’re not giving up too much.

@Zackman:
    Yah, Crazy for sure. I think Gainey has done some weird stuff, but he’d probably be executed for giving up two young, talented goaltenders for a year or two of once-great goaltending.

I’m on board with the idea that we should off JDD to the Habs though. “Procrastellini” (credit to Easilee @ Oilersnation) likely would be way too slow on that one though. But perhaps we could acquire a mid round pick (say a 4th) for Deslauriers from them.

Steve-O: We don’t need to get as high as 3-5…just get to the point we can draft mcilrath so we can get our Smith-like player…that would make me happy

Yeah, I totally agree with that.

I don’t know if McIlrath is that guy… I am pretty certain none of us have seen him, but he seems to be getting some good reviews, so I wouldn’t be upset at all if we drafted him.

But he’s described as a complete d-man, which is exactly what I’ve been saying we needed more than anything, so I’m pretty on board with the idea of going for him with another pick we trade for. I guess he’s tough as nails, at the very least.

33. MetalOil says:

I would have to guess so. Although personally I hope for their sake they’re getting back more than pick #4 for Marc Savard. Although this IS the team that traded Jumbo Joe for very little (albeit his contract was up)

MetalOil: ESPN has a rumour of Marc Savard getting swapped for the 4th overall pick(Blue Jackets) You have to pay to get the full story so I have no more info but if true could this mean they think the Oil will take Hall & that they are gearing up to select Seguin ?

UPDATE: I’ve heard that the full trade is the following:
    Wheeler, Savard, 15th overall pick for 4th overall pick and another player.This is the big rumor going around Boston. Keep an eye on this as we get closer to draft day….

On another note, everything seems quiet on the Oilers front, I’m a little nervous about that.

Dead on here. Anywhere from 7-15 would be nice.

38. MetalOil says:

Racki: That other player would have to be someone pretty damn good, or Chiarelli has lost it.

If I were the Bruins I would do it if they took out the 15th pick then I would draft Conolly. Coming out of the draft with both Seguin and Conolly would make the B’s a draft day winner. Especially considering how the Bruins scored the least amount of goals in the NHL.

I hope it is not true though because I officially want the Oil to take Seguin!!! A line of MPS-Seguin-Eberle looks to appealing for me to pass up on.

39. Mr.Majestyk says:

haha, yeah like Nash.

LOL, yes, I was thinking “like Nash”, however that defeats the purpose of that trade :P

41. MetalOil says:

LOL at the Eklund Twatwaffle bashing going on at OilerNation. I particularly like this quote:

But the amount of garbage spewed out of Eklund Twatwaffle’s keyboard should make every sentient hockey fan from coast to coast consider him about as a credible as a Lindsay Lohan alibi.

Are you listening, Boston Oiler? Your dad is getting trashed on O.N.!

lol…I forgot about that B.O./Eklund Twatwaffle/dad thing…

Racki: Are you listening, Boston Oiler? Your dad is getting trashed on O.N.!

sigh……

Racki: Are you listening, Boston Oiler? Your dad is getting trashed on O.N.!

I just loked up a picture to see if maybe you guys were right and I was shipped outta Philly to Boston….nothing alike lmao. I’ve honestly stopped reading that man outside of the link I got the other day. I might go and read their Oilers blogger or another team blogger but thats it

Racki: haha, ahh man, I’m just teasing because for a while there, you were his right hand man. You fed him more hits than Bob Probert’s right hand fed his opponent’s face.

I know I know haha all in good fun!

48. Mr.Majestyk says:

RE: The part in brackets

Bostonoiler, does this mean you aren’t taking Eklund Twatwaffle’s calls anymore?

Mr.Majestyk: I have talked to a few sources (although have to admit I have yet to connect with my best Oilers source) who are very excited and say there is great anticipation heading into the draft of how Spezza could be an Oiler in the next 7 to 10 days.RE: The part in bracketsBostonoiler, does this mean you aren’t taking Eklund Twatwaffle Twatwaffle’s calls anymore?

Phones off, tell him to email or something…..

50. victoriaoilerfan says:

Here is a blog from the Panthers forum on Horton, that hits the nail on the head IMO.
    Quote:

Horton Likely On The Move Lead [-]

Call him what you want: Lazy, underachieving, disinterested, overrated, future star, etc. Nathan Horton’s time as a Panther is apparently coming to an end. Both Buffalo and Boston have been rumored to be destinations for the talented, yet streaky winger/center. Tim Connolly or Derek Roy would be coming back to the Panthers in all likelihood (probably Connolly, because of better size) from Buffalo to fill the #1 center position, moving Weiss to the 2nd line where he belongs. But a deal with Boston becomes much more interesting regarding the draft.

lt’s no secret the Panthers need a marquis name and a star to build around for the future, and outside of Hall or Seguin there is no such player in this draft on face value. Randy Sexton did a good job of stockpiling picks for this draft as the Panthers have four of the top 50 picks. So the question becomes how possible is it for Tallon to swing a deal that gets Boston and Florida to swap the #2 and #3 picks, and also trading Horton?

Back to Horton, it really is a shame it’s come to this. The guy has all the gifts and talents in the world. When he plays mean it’s a joy to watch. When he’s on his game he truly is one of the budding stars of this league. But how often have we seen it? If Seidenberg doesn’t break Horton’s leg with a dump in shot last year are we having this discussion? Horton was arguably the best player on the team at that point and may have had his best year statistically.

Tallon has repeatedly said, as you can see with the Blackhawks, it’s about character, character, character. Does Horton fit that mold? Sadly I will say yes, half the time. Taking nights off is simply not an option here anymore, something Horton has done way too many times.

The fans didn’t want this. We all wanted Nathan to become the player we know he can be. He has a lethal wrister, good speed/size, and has the propensity to mix it up with the opposition, but he may just be the likeliest of candidates for the good ole “change of scenery would be good for all involved.”

While nothing is finalized, it makes sense to let him go. If a culture change is in order, it would seem he would be at the top of the list to move since he’s one of the “best” (and expensive) players on the team yet cares at his discretion. Can you imagine if you put David Booth’s heart in Horton’s body? Wow, now that would be something…

Dan Spiegel…
    Florida Panthers Blogger

Last Edited By: spiegs13 Jun 19, 2010 1:33 PM. Edited 1 time.