Hall Inductees to be Announced Today

By , June 22, 2010 8:58 am
The one good thing the city of Toronto gave the Hockey world.

The one good thing the city of Toronto gave the Hockey world.

Today the Hall of Fame voters decide on the 2010 crop of Hall of Fame inductees. Eligible players include Dave Andreychuk, Dino Ciccarelli, Doug Gilmour, Joe Nieuwendyk, Adam Oates, and the controversial nominee, Eric Lindros.

Eric Lindros is a bit of an interesting nominee that follows the same story as a guy like Cam Neely who had his superb career cut short by injury. Cam Neely was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2005 with his share of question marks as well. There’s been much debate as to whether Eric Lindros should be inducted on various forums and blogs… what do you folks think?

UPDATE @ 10:00AM: The Oilers have announced their schedule for the 2010-11 season. The first game will be at home on October 7th, vs. the Douches to our south, the Calgary Flames. Game 2 is at home on October 10th vs. the Florida Panthers. The Oilers see their first road trip start on the 14th of October (vs. Calgary).

UPDATE @ 1:45 PM: Per TSN: “Dino Ciccarelli, Cammi Granato and Angela James have been elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in the Player Category. In the Builder Category, Jimmy Devellano and the late Daryl ‘Doc’ Seaman was elected.”

16 Responses to “Hall Inductees to be Announced Today”

I think considering playing ability and impact to the game of hockey Lindros is just as deserving as Neely to be inducted, however, I think for the negative legacy his douchebaggery over refusing to play for the team that drafted him and holding out for a trade before ever having played a minute in the NHL negates anything he ever did as player.

He’s borderline HOF material without that, and IMHO that issue alone tarnishes his image too much to have him in there with the greats. To me, doing that to the team that drafted you is pretty much Hockey blasphemy.

So, if I had a vote, I’d give him a big thumbs down.

Awesome.. that’s actually how I’ve felt too. He was pretty fantastic with a Canada jersey on.. but I’ll always remember him and Hot Carl as the people that snubbed the Quebec Nordiques (and maybe even helped pull that organization out of the fire, inadvertently).

3. victoriaoilerfan says:

@ Racki:
    I only like Lindros when he was with the Legend of Doom in Philly. I hated the precitent he set by not reporting to the Nords. I think he did the game in general a lot of harm with that stunt. Also it wasn’t just Carl that was a pain in the ass, his Mom was just as bad. Frankly I think he wil get in the HOF, but it is not a very staisfying feeling to me. It makes me uneasy some how.

Well, Lindros haters rejoice.. no HOF just yet…

Ahhh Dino.. now I know who to get on my Minnesota North Stars jersey when I decide to buy one (going to buy up a lot of the vintage teams that were moved/defunct)

Racki wrote:

Good choices all…but I heard that Burns was eligible for the builders category and I would have rather seen him moved in.

‘Bout time the ladies made it.

And Ciccarelli has been kept on the outside for a while now due to politics.

EDIT: Wow, my quote got all sorts of fuckered there. Uhhh, its the one directly above this.

I’m happy Ciccarelli made it. And agreed on Burns.. but I think he’ll get his chance yet. Hopefully he actually gets to be part of it.

7. victoriaoilerfan says:

Steve-O wrote:

Racki wrote:
    ‘Bout time the ladies made it.***
    And Ciccarelli has been kept on the outside for a while now due to politics.

Hailey Wickenheiser is next for sure. She is a true inspiration for girls no matter what sport they play IMO.

To me Lindros is an automatic HHOFer. He’s won more trophies and accomplished more than lots in there. The guy was as dominating a player as I’ve ever witnessed. Sure he’s a dick, but lots of athletes are.

He’d get my vote.

Pat Quinn? Come on man!! No nomination for him? Very dissapointed.

chucker wrote:

He’d get my vote.

I wouldn’t give him the automatic. He’ll get in there eventually, but he’ll be kicked around a few times first… it’s the standard thing to do to get into the HHOF.

11. victoriaoilerfan says:

@ chucker:
    He didn’t win much tho Chucker? Look if you gave him the same teams that Bowman had in his career he would be a hero. But that is not the case. I would like Scotty to be behind the Oilers bench for the last 10 years and see what a hockey genuis he is. Pat is a *great guy, but they don’t hand out HOF status for that unfortunetly.

@ victoriaoilerfan:
    True, but if you compare Neely to him, he’s better than Neely. Part of this is politics and Neely had them in his favour but Lindros likely does not.

Oh man… as a Habs fan secondary, I can say that Cam Neely was the fucking man, and absolutely deserving of the Hall of Fame induction. His amazing career was cut short. The guy embodied everything that hockey was all about. I hated seeing the Habs play the B’s because of him. I don’t get why he takes so much heat over his induction from people (other people).

Cam Neely >>> Eric Lindros

Respect C-Bass!

I will say one thing about Lindros.. I think my opinion of him was greatly tainted by him being very over hyped as the next Wayne Gretzky. He fell extremely short of that mark. Good player, but not a guy that is going to get the express route into the Hall.

14. victoriaoilerfan says:

Racki wrote:

Cam Neely >>> Eric Lindros
    Respect C-Bass!

Didn’t Lindros slap some chick in a bar as well, or throw a drink in her face? You guys remember something about that?

Neely scored 50 goals in 49 games one year, that alone is almost Hall worthy.

and Vic, I have a vague recollection of something like that re: Lindros.

Vic: http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-4143782.html

Vaguely remembered it, but thank you, information age…